PDA

View Full Version : Leg Armor

pennys
09-26-2002, 06:15 PM
Any one have recommendations? I am looking for somthing not too beefy... I XC ride, but like some protection for the technical stuff and the downhills as I am riding some pretty advanced stuff and tend to wreck once in a while. I like knee protection mostly, shin is good but I seem to hit knee first when I go over.

I've tried the 611 velcro strap ons and like them; the Bombshells didn't fit right... I've got muscular short legs ( 5-3) and lot of stuff is just too big or too long in the shin for me

thanks!!

penny s

han-grrl
09-27-2002, 04:57 AM
i have the fox shin pads. they are not terribly beefy, but they are the ones with the plastic outer shell. I used them for xcountry riding here and i have been very happy with them. I have fallen on them and felt nothing on my legs at all. they are about 90$ canadian around here.

have fun

han

pennys
09-27-2002, 06:55 AM
Interesting that you are in Canada. Whe I went to bike camp in Rossland, the Yanks were the only ones without armor. I started wearing elbow armor this summer due to a certain kind of launch I was doing on a regular basis.

anyway, all the Canadians have leg armor which they just strap to thier frames or thier camelbacks for the climbs, and they put it on for the DH/techncial sections. Sounds good too me... I"ve gotten a lot of scrapes this summer that could have easily been prevented.

While some of my friends tell me I'm going for the GI Jane look, I know I am not getting beat up like I used to either.

penny s

gapgoil
09-27-2002, 07:34 AM
I ride with 611's for both XC and downhill. I have had some major crashes and the only complaint that I have it that sometimes they get filled with dirt at the knee (from crashing). I find them really comfy...AFTER I worked them in first. I wear moto-cross elbows for downhill though, they are really hard plastic shells that have saved me from many "skinning" disasters. A friend of mine wears Dianese elbows, likes them, but apparently there is nothing smaller than a mens' medium, and they are made big.

pennys
09-27-2002, 08:29 AM
I"ve got some fox slip ons for elbow, they were pretty cheap, $19 us.

I like how the 611's strap on, doyou get hot in them? Also, what size do you wear. I"m 5-3 with very rounded muscles in my legs. These things designed for toothpick thigh folks don't work for me...

penny

gapgoil
09-28-2002, 02:42 PM
my 661's are a size small. I don't find them too hot though, I can ride with them in 30 degree weather...I certainly do sweat though. My calves are a good size, although I pull them tight, and I am 5'6". Like I think I wrote before, I really like them alot. THey have saved my legs tremendously this summer!

pennys
09-28-2002, 04:19 PM
http://www.rstc.net/skinz/

anyone seen or tried the Skinz knee/shin set up? Looks like just the ticket, I don't really need full leg coverage

penny