View Full Version : Seagull Century

madscot13
07-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Who is heading this year?

http://www.seagullcentury.org/

I know I am!

F8th637
07-11-2008, 02:19 PM
I may consider this with my company. Sounds like a great time!

ETA: Just checked my calendar and I might be out of town that weekend. . darned it!

juliemcd
07-12-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm definitely up for this....I'll think I'll sign up later this month, but probably only for the metric century...

Blueberry
07-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Hmmm....would this be worth the trip up from NC? Looks like a cool ride!

CA

HillSlugger
07-12-2008, 10:47 AM
I already did my metric century this year, so probably not. There's a triathlon the same weekend I'd rather be doing ;) :rolleyes:

ny biker
07-13-2008, 04:32 AM
Take my advice: if there's a nor'easter the weekend of the ride, just say no. Forget about how much you already spent on pre-ride registration. It will take you 2 hours just to travel the 5 miles leading up to the Bay Bridge, by the time you get to Salisbury the cafeteria will be closed so you won't be able to eat the dinner you pre-paid for, and you will have to buy new bike shoes because it will rain so hard during the ride that they will fill with water and your feet will go squish-squish when you pedal and then when they dry they will shrink.

Blueberry
07-13-2008, 05:21 AM
Or you could wear bike sandals:) They tend to be rain tolerant.

CA

madscot13
07-13-2008, 05:54 AM
I'm crossing my fingers for no foul weather.

emily_in_nc
07-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Take my advice: if there's a nor'easter the weekend of the ride, just say no. Forget about how much you already spent on pre-ride registration. It will take you 2 hours just to travel the 5 miles leading up to the Bay Bridge, by the time you get to Salisbury the cafeteria will be closed so you won't be able to eat the dinner you pre-paid for, and you will have to buy new bike shoes because it will rain so hard during the ride that they will fill with water and your feet will go squish-squish when you pedal and then when they dry they will shrink.

+1

DH and I did this ride (the full century) back in 2003 and got poured on. Finished it absolutely freezing -- I had to coach him through the last 10 miles as his lips were turning blue (mild hypothermia, perhaps), and we were on a tandem. Kinda scary. I think I held up a bit better because I had hot coffee at the last rest stop. Kid serving at the (very much needed!) beer stand after the ride said that it rains like that nearly every year. Too bad as it would have been a lovely ride minus the rain and chilly wind.

Emily

withm
07-13-2008, 12:26 PM
The reality is that the Seagull is at the height of hurricane season. Now you say, we don't have hurricanes up here.... alas, we do indeed suffer the side effects of hurricanes as they ply their nasty way up the east coast. The odds of the Seagull weekend are probably more in favor of wind/rain than they are of being a nice day. And a look at the last few years will certainly corroborate that claim. Last year was gorgeous and after several years of wind and rain we are due for better weather for the ride but mother nature has her own agenda.

Having said all that, yeah, I'll probably sign up. But if it's raining, I won't bother driving to Salisbury (and it's only 45 minutes for me).

I'll do the metric.

Who else is "in?"

Martha

madscot13
07-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Perhaps I will finally put the fenders on my bike? I thought I was going to strip my frame barebones for the century. haha I will be wet though anyways?

ny biker
07-13-2008, 05:51 PM
From what I've heard, the weather for the Sea Gull is usually great, it just was not great the two times I rode it. But I'm not planning to ride it again, so it will probably be a beautiful weekend.

For me it works better to do the Cannonball Century that is sponsored by the Fredericksburg cycling club the weekend before the Sea Gull. It's closer to home and doesn't require a hotel stay. It's not as big a ride as the Sea Gull but it's still fun.

juliemcd
07-14-2008, 02:22 AM
Hmmm...the Fredricksburg century would like be closer for me also. Maybe I'll check that out.
I did the Seagull years ago, 2001 or 2002 and got caught in a lightning storm...I didn't realize the weather was typically a factor.

ny biker
07-14-2008, 07:23 AM
I think there's actually a fair number of people who ride the Cannonball as a warm-up to the Sea Gull.

Here's their website:

http://bikefred.com/CBC/cbc.html

The first time I did the Sea Gull the rain wasn't too bad because it was just rain. If you've got a good waterproof jacket, you'll be okay in those conditions. It was the nor'easter in 2006 that sucked - the combination of heavy rain and high winds were just no fun.

7rider
07-14-2008, 08:34 AM
I did that '06 in the Nor'easter. I suppose it was only marginally worse than the '05 ride in the dying gasps of Tropical Storm Tammy (7" of steady rain that weekend and wind). At least in '06 we had less rain. But wind driven sand is always a joy for your drivetrain!
Ahhhh...the fond memories of the Seagull!!! If only it weren't such a darned good time! :rolleyes:
The first time I did the ride in '00, it was sunny, mild, and calm. Last year was supposed to be good too (but foggy in the a.m.). So it can happen!
Yeah...weather is often a big part of the challenge. This year, they've moved the weekend. Perhaps too much juju associated with Columbus Day??
I'll be doing it (if we can get reservations squared away soon) with DH and the BPVC crew. My personal goal is to break a 5 hour ride time. I'll be sucking a lot of wheels to do that.

Zen
07-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Mad, if they've scared you away from the Seagull ;) there's always the Civil War Century (http://www.baltobikeclub.org/index.pl/cwc).
I'll be there and I'm pretty sure DB and 7 will too :)

HillSlugger
07-14-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm thinking about this, too, but not sure which route I'd do (probably the 50).

ny biker
07-14-2008, 09:55 AM
My personal goal is to break a 5 hour ride time. I'll be sucking a lot of wheels to do that.

I was thrilled to finish in 7 hours the first time I did it, so I bow to your five hours.

Re: the Civil War century, I've done that a couple of times (metric once and 50-miler once) so I was thinking of trying out the Indian Head century this year which takes place the same day. But I have a friend who's coming from Ireland to do the Civil War ride so it looks like I'll be up there after all. We'll be looking forward to those tomato sandwiches.

7rider
07-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Mad, if they've scared you away from the Seagull ;) there's always the Civil War Century (http://www.baltobikeclub.org/index.pl/cwc).

Arrrggghhh...
Just realized that the CWC is the weekend before my mom's 80th birthday, and the sibs up in CT are planning a big family bash for her .... likely that weekend. We may not be able to do the CWC.

Kalidurga
07-14-2008, 11:04 AM

Or, there's the Tour du Port up in Baltimore, which I'll be doing...

Zen
07-14-2008, 11:13 AM
So many rides, so little summer :(

madscot13
07-14-2008, 04:43 PM

I will have to work in getting a lot more miles in before I think of doing the Civil War Century. I will also have to work on my climbing from the looks of it. The metric looks like an option.

Is there a way I can train for hills without actually doing hills?

Also they can't scare me from Seagull. I've signed up for it as a Team in Training member!

Blueberry
07-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Is there a way I can train for hills without actually doing hills?

Hills are (obviously) the best training. ECT on the trainer is an option (one of the climbing DVD's). Headwinds and intervals also help.

CA

madscot13
07-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Nah I know the best way to get better on hills. I just can't think of 6.5k ft of climbing around me.

ny biker
07-15-2008, 07:52 AM
The metric and 50-mile versions of the CWC have hills but are not that bad. It's the longer versions that start off by heading west into the mountains, so they have the harder climbs.

carolync
07-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Hi gals!

I'm doing the Seagull with TNT too. Let's pray for good weather... heard last year was good, but over here on the shore, there will always be wind.

A TNT coach told us there is not such thing as a tailwind at the Seagull.

Carolyn

divingbiker
07-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Nah I know the best way to get better on hills. I just can't think of 6.5k ft of climbing around me.

Just go over to 13th St & Florida Ave NW and do hill repeats there. That'll get you into hill-climbing shape!

madscot13
07-18-2008, 03:44 PM
thanks! I wonder when the best time of the day would be to do those? I have a hill on my route. i wonder how many times I would have to do it to get 7400 ft of climbing in?

divingbiker
07-18-2008, 05:14 PM
thanks! I wonder when the best time of the day would be to do those? I have a hill on my route. i wonder how many times I would have to do it to get 7400 ft of climbing in?

Any time other than rush hour is probably fine. That hill is only .13 mile long with 105 feet of climbing (if my calculation is right, that's about 15%), so you'd have to do it a lot to reach 7400 feet!

madscot13
07-18-2008, 05:45 PM
That hill is only .13 mile long with 105 feet of climbing (if my calculation is right, that's about 15%), so you'd have to do it a lot to reach 7400 feet!

Can't I just ride my bike up the Exorcist steps a few times? they are just around the corner.

7rider
07-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Just FYI....
Hotels in the Salisbury area are filling (or filled) up already.
I tried at lunch to get something local....no dice.
May need to move up to Cambridge area (35 miles away) or elsewhere (Seaford, DE?).

madscot13
07-22-2008, 09:26 PM
if someone tells me stat and is willing to split a room, I have an opening. The room is $135 and no backsie outsies. Plus, I am in for the whole kit and kaboodle- friday through sunday. My room is at the Comfort Inn (2701 N. Salisbury Blvd. Salisbury, MD 21801)

Which Crab ride should I do on Sunday?

And Zen did not think I could get a ride.

Zen
07-23-2008, 06:14 AM

Mais pas de ma petite chickadee! (in observance of Le Tour)
I have no doubt you can do anything you put your convoluted mind to :D

carolync
07-23-2008, 10:30 AM
if someone tells me stat and is willing to split a room, I have an opening. The room is $135 and no backsie outsies. Plus, I am in for the whole kit and kaboodle- friday through sunday. My room is at the Comfort Inn (2701 N. Salisbury Blvd. Salisbury, MD 21801)

Which Crab ride should I do on Sunday?

What TNT team are you training with? I'm with the Annapolis, MD Team.

KerryCrow
07-25-2008, 06:45 PM
DH and I are signed up for the Seagull. We did the metric back in....2004? Maybe? The following year there WAS as hurricane, so they sent us our t-shirt anyway because I think the thing was cancelled. We were living in DC at the time, now Charlotte so it is a bit more of a drive/committment.

I was thinking to do the full century, it was about the easiest metric I've ever done, so maybe? All I remember is the apple pie ala mode at one of the rest stops.

I couldn't believe it. Of course, DH ate ever bite as I tapped my foot and looked at my watch.

I'm losing my type A-ness as I approach 50.

madscot13
07-25-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm with the Nation's Capital Area. It is a pretty good group. how is yoru fundraising rocking?

7rider
07-26-2008, 03:19 AM
DH and I are signed up for the Seagull. We did the metric back in....2004? Maybe? The following year there WAS as hurricane, so they sent us our t-shirt anyway because I think the thing was cancelled.

It was a tropical storm, actually, by the time it hit the eastern shore in 2005. (I know...."details!" ) :rolleyes: And the ride was not cancelled. DH and I rode it. Ugh. Actually, DH had knee issues that year, and we had to abort after 50 miles. But 50 miles in wind and 7" of rain....not too bad...but the bikes really suffered for it. There was water in places I didn't know there were places! :confused: You were wiser sitting that one out, I think.

2006 was a Nor'easter....less rain, but more wind. That time we did the full 100 miles and just had lots of wind-blown sand in all those places.

2007 we sat out. Family commitments. Of course it was sunny then.

This year, we're registered. We'll do the full 100. We're hoping for sunny and no wind. :D And, we're hoping to see lots of other TE'ers there!

KerryCrow
07-27-2008, 06:29 PM
It was a tropical storm, actually, by the time it hit the eastern shore in 2005. (I know...."details!" ) :rolleyes:

Ah yes, I remember it well....I was working in the oil industry (gasoline sales) and I ended up working the whole weekend moving trucks from Point A to Point B. So I actually did not have a choice due to my job, but had I, I still would have chosen to stay home!

It's a farther drive for us now (from Charlotte, vs. Arlington VA), so I hope the weather cooperates this year! My husband is still talking about the pie ala mode.

Zen
07-27-2008, 07:25 PM
oh wow, so when I was a cashier at the gas station I was actually working in the oil industry :D

Much more impressive

carolync
07-28-2008, 04:58 AM
I'm with the Nation's Capital Area. It is a pretty good group. how is yoru fundraising rocking?

My fundraising is through the roof, my dad died of leukemia, so I was told the fundraising comes easier if you are directly connected to the cause.

I trained with the Eastern shore team in Salisbury this weekend, we did a portion of the Sea Gull route, it's a pretty route, and as flat as a pancake, I hardly had to change gears.

KerryCrow
07-28-2008, 06:19 PM
oh wow, so when I was a cashier at the gas station I was actually working in the oil industry :D

Much more impressive

Most certainly in the oil industry...but if you are going for impressive maybe just leave off the cashier part...maybe the gas station part, too........:).

But now that you mention it I may be able to beef up my resume from video store clerk to Entertainment Executive.

madscot13
07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
My fundraising is through the roof, my dad died of leukemia, so I was told the fundraising comes easier if you are directly connected to the cause.

I trained with the Eastern shore team in Salisbury this weekend, we did a portion of the Sea Gull route, it's a pretty route, and as flat as a pancake, I hardly had to change gears.

I'm sorry to hear about your father. I've heard the same thing about fundraising but I'm sure it makes a whole lot of other things harder. I am riding in honor of a friend's father, who recently passed away. I'm raising money so that hopefully others do not have to go through what you and my friend have gone/ are going through.

ps I'm pretty proud of what I have raised so far. It is more than I have earned this year (but oddly more than what I have spent)

carolync
07-29-2008, 04:07 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your father. I've heard the same thing about fundraising but I'm sure it makes a whole lot of other things harder. I am riding in honor of a friend's father, who recently passed away. I'm raising money so that hopefully others do not have to go through what you and my friend have gone/ are going through.

ps I'm pretty proud of what I have raised so far. It is more than I have earned this year (but oddly more than what I have spent)

Thanks, it's been 4 years, so emotions aren't as raw as they were, but it does still hit me occasionally with this process.

What amazes me most is how incredibly generous people are, almost everyone I have asked has given, and even some I haven't!

You're really close to your goal. Best of luck, it's a real weight off once you hit it.

madscot13
07-29-2008, 04:43 AM
Thanks, it's been 4 years, so emotions aren't as raw as they were, but it does still hit me occasionally with this process.

What amazes me most is how incredibly generous people are, almost everyone I have asked has given, and even some I haven't!

You're really close to your goal. Best of luck, it's a real weight off once you hit it.

I'm sure it is a real weight off. It was a weight off when i got my first $100 (my first donation), my first $500, my first $1000, and as soon as some of my volunteering money is put in, my first $1500.

I also feel lucky by donations. although sometimes, I'm a biut surprised by those who aren't donating.

squirrell
08-17-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm planning to do the Metric Century in the Seagull--I didn't see anything about fund raising though? Is that required?

7rider
08-17-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm planning to do the Metric Century in the Seagull--I didn't see anything about fund raising though? Is that required?

No fundraising required. :cool:

madscot13
08-17-2008, 05:56 PM
no, Seagull century does not require you to fundraise (although you can donate to the high school and habitat for humanity). I am riding for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and then fundraising is required.

squirrell
08-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Ok, thought I had missed something. I'm doing the Annual Between the Waters Bike Tour in Oct., too in Wachapreague, VA. Y'all might be interested in that one.

http://www.cbes.org/events_biketour.asp

withm
08-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Oh I've wanted to do Between the Waters for a couple of years - maybe this year will be the one.

I will likely do either the Seagull or Between the Waters but I will have to be away for about 10 days in October. Only problem is, I don't know which 10 days it is just yet - so can't sign up for anything yet.

madscot13
08-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Squirrell, that sounds like a great ride. I like the oyster bake afterwards too! I will have to wait and see what is going on for me at the end of October.

squirrell
08-19-2008, 01:16 AM
The Between the Waters Ride is a nice one--I ride the same roads every day and they go through some beautiful areas of the Shore. Not sure what they're exact route will be this year, as I haven't registered yet, but the guy told me it will very likely be close it not the same as last year's route. I wasn't riding then (didn't start until April) but the marks are still on the road, so I know where they went last year.

Jeanne
08-26-2008, 05:00 AM
Hi all. Newbie to biking and century riding. Can you give me some information on what to expect on the seagull? Wind? Hills? roads? What do I carry? (besides the bike repair stuff). Suppliments? Usual weather conditions (I see a lot of rain issues--:eek:)? What to wear?

Thanks for any assistance. I am new and nervous. You can e-mail me privately if you wish or I will check back here.

rodeoz@aol.com

Thanks

withm
09-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi all. Newbie to biking and century riding. Can you give me some information on what to expect on the seagull? Wind? Hills? roads? What do I carry? (besides the bike repair stuff). Suppliments? Usual weather conditions (I see a lot of rain issues--:eek:)? What to wear?

Thanks for any assistance. I am new and nervous. You can e-mail me privately if you wish or I will check back here.

rodeoz@aol.com

Thanks

http://www.seagullcentury.org/

That's a lot of questions and it doesn't look like anyone has answered them.
Today is last day to register for $55. Tomorrow the price goes up.
I registered today and got #4933 - so safe to assume over 5000 riders - maybe as much as 7000 if weather is good.

Roads are flat, lightly traveled, rural/coastal (for the 100 milers) for the most part. Expect long stretches of headwinds.

Rest stops every 20-25 miles - well stocked. If you need something more maybe carry a couple bars and gels or blocks. And of course water.

What to wear? depends on the weather. Last year I started with a jacket, arm/knee warmers but took them all off eventually. So you should figure out how you will carry anything that you may eventually remove during the ride.

Hope this helps
Martha

withm
09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Any interest in kayaking on Sunday after the Sea Gull? There are quite a few places within 1/2 hour or so of Salisbury, or on the way back to the DC area.

Martha

7rider
09-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Any interest in kayaking on Sunday after the Sea Gull? There are quite a few places within 1/2 hour or so of Salisbury, or on the way back to the DC area.

Martha

I think I answered some of Jeanne's questions in her other thread: Seagull Century Help.

As for kayaking...I'd love to, but I don't think I can convince the DH to stay another evening. We're spending friday night up in Cambridge (the nearest hotel we could get! :eek:) to lessen the drive-time Saturday a.m. But, we won't be staying a second night. Usually, we would do a 2-night weekend get-away with the Seagull, but (sigh) not this year, I guess. :(

madscot13
09-29-2008, 05:32 PM
So who is heading out to the fin Maryland coast this weekend?

7rider
09-29-2008, 06:32 PM
DH and I will be heading out Friday evening.
We'll start with our group at 8 on Saturday a.m.
I suspect we'll need arm and knee warmers to start, but it looks like it should be a fine day!

Are you going?

withm
09-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Yep, I'll be there. So far the weather forecast looks good - sunny, and no wind. But today is only Monday and a lot can happen between now and Saturday.... So who is the patron saint of cycling to whom we can direct our request for no wind?

I'm riding the metric. Will wear my AV jersey, but it will likely be covered up with a yellow jacket for at least the morning which looks like it will be chilly.

madscot13
10-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I am so ready to ride!

divingbiker
10-03-2008, 03:35 AM
Have a great ride, everyone!

7rider
10-05-2008, 10:16 AM
So, how'd everyone do???

Was it an AWESOME day for a bike ride, or what?????

I can't imagine more perfect conditions for a ride out on the Eastern Shore (well, except maybe a few LESS riders! ;))...sunny, pleasant, and with hardly any wind for which the Eastern Shore is (in)famous.

DH and I hooked up with the guys from the Bike Place at 7:45 for some pre-ride coordination, before heading out promptly at 8.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z85/7rider/Weekend%20activities/IMG_0631.jpg

However, traffic (both cyclists and cars) caused us to break off from the main group just outside the tunnel from the campus that goes under Route 13. We tried to sprint to catch on to the main group, but they were starting out fast and strong, and we quickly realized that it was a futile effort. We were better off conserving our strength for the rest of the ride. So six of us settled into a nice groove, pacelining at about 22 mph. We were often joined by others...and they'd fall off, we we varied in size from 6 to about 20.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z85/7rider/Weekend%20activities/IMG_0637.jpg

We caught an earlier departing group of Bike Place friends at mile 33 and found the fast group at the rest stop at mile 40. We saw them again at the Assateague rest stop (mile 60), but we lingered as one of our group was Jones-ing for a soda, and we waited while she fulfilled her craving. So that was the last we saw of the speed demons until back at the University.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z85/7rider/Weekend%20activities/IMG_0638.jpg

We had our pie-and-icecream at the last stop, and then like a herd of horses charging for the barn, set off for the final leg back to the school. Because we bypassed the first rest stop, we came in a few miles short on the route...97 miles, in 4 hours/41 minutes of riding, or 20.6 mph average. Wow! I did it. I made my goal...to do the Seagull in under 5 hours of riding. We had no mechanical issues in our group, the bikes were spinning like tops. It was great. I am so happy to make up for the disappointing Civil War Century! :D

The conditions were certainly ideal for a great ride, and I hope all of you who did it had a great experience.

divingbiker
10-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Glad you had a good ride! That's a great picture of you and Tom.

madscot13
10-05-2008, 12:39 PM
i didn't realize that you were one of the bike place cre. They were a formidable bunch!

withm
10-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Wow, the Seagull was a really great ride yesterday. And what fabulous weather, complete with a nice tailwind the last 15 miles or so.

I rode with a couple friends, and we took a a slightly altered course. They used to do the 100 mile route every year, but about 3-4 years ago they started taking the "shortcut." So we set out on the 100 mile route as far as the mini rest stop at 42 miles, then took the shortcut over to the 80 mile rest stop and bypassed the Assateague leg entirely. We still got 64 miles in. And we were not the only people who took that route. LOL.

At that 80 mile stop - the clouds got very dark and I was sure we were going to get pummelled with rain and hail for the last 20 miles. Thankfully it passed over though I do think I felt a couple sprinkles.

I was pleasantly surprised that most riders were polite, and announced they were passing though I guess they would tire of saying "on your left" a gajillion times but I appreciated it, and thanked everyone who gave advance warning.

And to the guy that passed me ON MY RIGHT, and announced it AFTER the fact, I lit into him. Might not have been the best thing - was afraid he was going to let air out of my tires or something at the rest stop, but he didn't. I told him in no uncertain words that if he needed to pass, he should do it on the left, and in any case to announce his intention BEFORE he actually passed on the right, nearly clipping me in the porocess. I was like 2 feet from the right side, and he actually slipped in on the right. I was livid! What is so gosh darn important on a bike ride that you have to do that? Sheesh!

The music was great, the food at the rest stops plentiful (apples, oranges, bananas, bagels, peanut butter, cream cheese, apple and cherry pie, and even ice cream. What more could you ask for? Oh and they had police as most of the major intersections to stop traffic for us if necessary. I think that was a first.

I wore my Amici Veloci jersey and matching arm warmers, that were on and off at least 4 times during the course of the ride. I got several "nice jersey" comments. And someone riding in a paceline going the other way yelled out "Hey Martha!" (I assume to me) I think it was the manager of the bike shop that I use, but honestly I just don't know who it was. It was an area where the official metric goes opposite of the official 100 mile route and he had mentioned earlier in the week if he had time he had planned to do that route. Since he was providing pre-ride mechanical service he wasn't sure when he'd get sprung to go ride.

The beer at the end of the ride really hit the spot!

There was some big group there with really great looking jerseys (well there were a lot of great looking jerseys) but I could not find any of them at the party after to see where they were from. The upper right quadrant was black. Then there were vertical sloping bands/stripes in bright colors - red, green, & yellow I think, then a white field on the left side. Did anyone see them, or know if where they were from? Very sharp looking.

We hung around to about 4:30-5:00 ish, then headed back to Bethany to get cleaned up and go out for dinner. I slept very well last night.

7rider
10-05-2008, 04:04 PM
There was some big group there with really great looking jerseys (well there were a lot of great looking jerseys) but I could not find any of them at the party after to see where they were from. The upper right quadrant was black. Then there were vertical sloping bands/stripes in bright colors - red, green, & yellow I think, then a white field on the left side. Did anyone see them, or know if where they were from? Very sharp looking.

I saw those jerseys, too. They were quite striking, but I never figured out who they were. Lots of team and club jerseys out there, weren't there? I recognized lots (there was a HUGE DC-Velo train that went by). A few were new and really cool. I looked for you in your AV jersey, but didn't see you. I swear, I give myself whip-lash looking at all the jerseys and all the bikes on rides like this! :rolleyes:

I also wondered (and worried) about those gathering clouds at the mile 80 stop, but fortunately, didn't feel any rain come of them. We left campus pretty early (by 3). We were plenty tired and DH was not in a shopping mood at the gym expo (never is!).

Glad you had a good ride.