PDA

View Full Version : I Care Classic May 7th

slinkedog
04-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Has anyone here ever done this ride? The start location is Santa Teresa High School. I'm wondering if it's worth signing up for. They have a50 mile option that I'm thinking about trying, but if it's not a well-supported ride, I don't think I'm going to do it. Anyone have some feedback?

DrBadger
03-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Hey Slinke-
Did you end up doing the I Care Classic last year? If so how was it? A friend and I are thinking of doing the 100k version this year on May 13. Was going to try to do the Wine Country Classic, but that weekend doesn't work for us :(
Thanks!

slinkedog
03-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I didn't do it last year. It looks like they've overhauled it for this year... different route that looks very similar to the Tierra Bella, if I remember correctly. Not going to do it because I ride those roads a lot. Blaine and I want to do one together... we're looking at the Healdsburg Harvest Century as a possible weekend getaway. :)

tprevost
03-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Slinkedog,

I think it was the I care classic that I was telling you about where we went up Bailey. It was fairly well supported way back when... done by the Lyons club or boy scouts, I think. I don't imagine its gotten worse since its still going on. I just looked at the routes and while they are changed, I can tell it definately was that ride - they appear to be going down bailey this time ;) so no worries!

I HIGHLY recommend the Healdsburg Harvest Century - one of the most beautiful rides around. I'm riding it this year as well; although if my friend comes down from OR to ride w/me I'll only be doing the 37 miler :( There are some nice B&Bs along with a decent hotel or two right there in town AND a couple of good places to get a massage ;) afterwards! Be sure to let me know if you and Blaine do this ride, maybe we can grab a quick dinner or breakfast (not to interfere w/your romantic weekend though!). I talked my DH into doing this ride eons ago and got a B&B, massage etc. Anyway, the room was really romantic w/lace etc. and a tub for two.... HOWEVER, as soon as he discovered there wasn't a TV, he was miserable! UGH! I tease him to this day about being as romantic as a doorknob... good thing he has other assets ;)

You should do the I Care Classic, especially since its so close to you!

Tracy

slinkedog
03-28-2006, 02:20 PM
We only have budget for a few organized rides a year. I did the Cindy and we'd like to do one together. The other one I'm interested in is the Foothill Century, but I'm pretty sure it's the day of or the day before Mother's Day and two days before my birthday, so it may not work out for us to do it this year.

tprevost
03-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Hey Slinke,

Well, I certainly know that one (budget)! I have to stop signing up for rides that are so far away! Especially with the gas costs going up every minute; at least for the most part we use DH's hotel points to cover the lodging. But, I really love Healdsburg and one of my oldest, dearest friends retired in OR and this is a ride we used to do together every year so I'm going no matter what! :D She's not up for the longer rides anymore so we're only doing the 37 but if for some reason, she doesn't end up going, I'll do the metric.

Another pretty nice ride coming up is the Strawberry Fields ride out of Aptos - I think its May 21st and they have a few ride length options. There is pie at the Gizdich apple farm in Watsonville and they have a nice country setting ~ you could make that one into a nice weekend too :p I'd actually like to do the metric of that one - still working on whether I can get DH to go along with me being gone yet another weekend. :o

okay, I'm blabbing!

T~