PDA

View Full Version : Holstein Hundred

slinkedog
04-11-2005, 02:19 PM
I think I remember Snapdragen saying she does this ride every year. Is anyone planning on doing it? Can any alums give an idea of the difficulty and weather?

Thanks!
Shannon

Veronica
04-11-2005, 02:51 PM
We did the century two years ago. It was cold and drizzly in the morning. HOT if the afternoon. I stripped down to my jogbra it was so hot. Good food, pretty area, lots of hills.

This was from the back of the tandem at the top of one of the early climbs.. The only picture I took all day.

V.

snapdragen
04-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Holstein has always been my favorite, although I don't know why. It always kicks my butt. Last year's was especially tough, I wasn't in the best shape for it. You can see the route profiles from last year on the website http://www.wmss.org/holstein/index.htm I've only done the 31-37 mile routes. I'm hoping to do the 60 this year.

They change the route every year, be forewarned! There are lots of hills, :eek: last year's 60 and 100 milers were very tough - I heard some hard core bikers whining at the end! One woman I know, who has done the AIDS ride and LifeCycle regularly vowed never to do Holstein again! I'm gonna try and convince her to give it another shot... If you have a Wine Country Krebs map, look at the Marshall-Petaluma Road, Valley Ford - Franklin School, Tomales-Petaluma. Those are good examples of the roads.

Now that I've scared you off.. :rolleyes: ....it's a fun, challenging ride. Only 750 riders, so you don't run into alot of squirrely riders. Lot's of cows, sheep and horses. The after ride meal is usually pretty good, salad, chicken or polenta with mushroom sauce for the veges, ice cream.....mmmm ice cream.....

My photos from last year: http://tinyurl.com/53yf7

spazzdog
04-11-2005, 05:33 PM
1st off... love the martini bunny! Snap, you crack me up.

2nd, when is the Holstein?

And lastly, Snap you can go 60 on sheer chutzpah.

THis is me running to see the route profile...... :cool:

slinkedog
04-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Well, Snap, I figure we have about 4 months to get ready for the 60 mile. I'd like to try to do it. Need to talk to hubby and see if the timeframe and $$ will work for us. Maybe I'll invest in a Krebs map for that area.

snapdragen
05-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Registration opened today: http://www.wmss.org/holstein/index.htm

As I suspected, the routes have been changed. They seem to rotate them. This years sound pretty familiar - I believe I did the 37 miler 3 or 4 years ago.

They limit registrations to 750 people - a nice intimate number. :D

Bike Goddess
05-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Hey Snap- I think I did part of the route today-i.e. Marshall Wall, coming from the Cheese Factory. We turned left at Marshall, looks like the Holstein turns right. Also looke like the big climb is about 10 miles out of Tomales. Must be going over the coastal hills, right?

I hit the Marshall Wall at 51 miles, looks like you all hit it later- thus a bit more tired! :( :(

August 21st is the Napa Century. So, not sure I will do this one! :( :(

Trek420
05-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Hey Bike Goddess,

How was Day On The Ride?

cindysue
05-02-2005, 05:06 PM
I'll be there.

snapdragen
05-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Hey Snap- I think I did part of the route today-i.e. Marshall Wall, coming from the Cheese Factory. (

Yup, the Cheese Factory rides usually go up the Marshall Wall. Last year's Holstein approached it going east - which looks a lot tougher. There was a whole lot of whining in the parking lot from the returning riders!

Valley Ford Rd out of Tomales is a peach :rolleyes: , I think Marshall-Petaluma is more challenging though - simply because of the length.

Bike Goddess
05-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Yup, the Cheese Factory rides usually go up the Marshall Wall. Last year's Holstein approached it going east - which looks a lot tougher. There was a whole lot of whining in the parking lot from the returning riders!

I was thinking the same thing going down the western side of the wall into Marshall. It seemed to go on for a long time.

slinkedog
05-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Hey Ladies... I'm looking at my Krebs map and wondering if you know which road they'll most likely take "north to Bodega" from Tomales, like it says on the site.

Also, I noticed there is a difference between my South Bay Krebs and this one. The gradients are not the same. On the Wine Country one, one chevron is 3 - 5%, where on my South Bay one, one chevron is 4 - 6%. I wonder why they did it that way. Well, anyway, I guess that means the one and two chevron climbs could be easier!!! NOT!! :)

snapdragen
05-03-2005, 08:26 AM
Usually it crosses over to Dillon Beach, then goes up Vally Ford to the town of Bodega (not Bodega Bay). I'll have to look at my map tonight and see if I remember correctly.

Hey Ladies... I'm looking at my Krebs map and wondering if you know which road they'll most likely take "north to Bodega" from Tomales, like it says on the site.

Also, I noticed there is a difference between my South Bay Krebs and this one. The gradients are not the same. On the Wine Country one, one chevron is 3 - 5%, where on my South Bay one, one chevron is 4 - 6%. I wonder why they did it that way. Well, anyway, I guess that means the one and two chevron climbs could be easier!!! NOT!! :)