PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on bonk training?

bikenewbie
09-26-2002, 11:50 AM
Has anybody tried bonk training? Here's what I (think) I know about it: First thing in the a.m., drink a couple cups of black tea or coffee, and no food or fuel. Ride for about an hour at 60% of MHR. After riding, have a reasonable breakfast. I have heard that training this way burns fat really fast.

Any thoughts?

Angela

gapgoil
09-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Sounds right, although I have never heard of a term for it. I'd try it, but I might barf before the ride is over. Let me know if it works though!

Juliette
09-27-2002, 11:59 AM
:eek: You mean people do this on purpose? I've done it a couple of times, more by accident.

I can only get about four miles and then I get the dry heaves really bad. With no breakfast, there's really nothing to come up. It was gross anyway.

If you do try this, take a snack with you in case it doesn't work out for you either.

Dogmama
09-29-2002, 06:57 PM
That's the way I usually ride - except I drink decaf. I rarely eat anything before I ride, unless it's going to be over 2 hours. I ride at least 60% mhr.

To each his (or her!) own, I guess. I've heard that it trains your body to use fat for fuel because your blood sugar is low in the morning. I've been riding like that for ten years.

Body builders will do a stack - caffeine, ephedrine & asprin in the morning before they lift. They say it gives them energy & starts the fat burning process. I don't think I'd do that to my body - it makes more sense to just skip the danish in the morning.

My $.02

Kim

stella
09-30-2002, 03:36 PM
I read about this in Bicycling Magazine. The rationale is that caffeine causes our bodies to burn fat faster which is why they recommend two cups of espresso (or caffeinated beverage).
I've been doing this about 3x per week without realizing it was some sort of diet. I just get sick if I eat breakfast too early and I don't wake up extra early to eat unless I am going out for more that 60minutes. I have lost weight but I don't know if that is because I am cycling more or doing the "bonk diet" three times per wk. Time will tell, I suppose.

angriecow
10-08-2002, 07:50 AM
just don't go over 90 min on the bonk without food or else your body will start digesting the muscles... and well, that's a bit self-defeating there :)
as to it being a diet, uh, no. you're not supposed to be skipping b-fast, nor is it really a "diet" since it's not restricting any intake whatsoever. the caffine thing is optional, tho some med. research has shown that coffee 30min. before any activity makes your body burn more fat (but so does stretching :P)