PDA

View Full Version : Jett vs Lithia vs Terry Liberator

polaris
07-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I've been looking for a new saddle for my Giant CR3. I was using my Terry Butterfly, had tried a Selle Italia Lady Gel (too wide). After reading some of the threads on this site, I began to suspect that any Lady saddle might be too wide for me. I had my sitbones measured at a Specialized dealer and came out at 143. I kind of balked at buying a Specialized saddle ($$$$$) last year and searched for a less expensive alternative, now that I kind of knew what size I was looking for.

I first tried a Terry Liberator Ti Race which was really comfortable for the first 40-50 km when the softness became a major issue. The best way to describe it is that the area where your crotch sits becomes very soft and squishy which is OK on the bike path, but awfully uncomfortable on the road.

I recently tried a Specialized Lithia 143 which is touted as a road or mtb saddle. I've never ridden anything so uncomfortable in my life! No matter how I adjusted that thing, up, down, forward, back, it was rubbing me raw. Even Bag Balm was no help. The last time I rode it, I wasn't sure I was going to make it back home on the bike. I had to stop every 5k or so. I took it back and exchanged it for a Jett 143 and this am did a 50 km ride and at times, it felt like there was nothing under me. My sitbones were getting a little sore by the time I got home, but I expect they'll adapt after a few more rides. And the Jett was on sale! Bonus.

I'm certainly not a hardcore, long-distance rider like some of you girls, but definitely soft & squishy is not the way to go for me.

The saddle on my flat-bar bike will need replacing soon. I'm dreading the prospect. It's a more upright position than the CR3 so maybe I'll try the Liberator.

alimey
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM
I second the Jett - fantastic saddle. Interestingly you need a wider saddle as you sit more upright because the ischial tuberosities are wider further back. So because I loved the Jett, I just bought the wider size for my mountain bike & a narrower size for my track bike where I am mostly on the drops. Works really well - especially if you pair it with a suspension seatpost.

alimey
07-02-2008, 10:37 AM
I second the Jett - fantastic saddle. Interestingly you need a wider saddle as you sit more upright because the ischial tuberosities are wider further back. So because I loved the Jett, I just bought the wider size for my mountain bike & a narrower size for my track bike where I am mostly on the drops. Works really well - especially if you pair it with a suspension seatpost on the more upright bike.