PDA

View Full Version : I think I can...I think I can!

heartmenderRN
04-09-2005, 07:31 PM
I'm new here and just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Cindy. I'm a nurse and I live in Kentucky. I am fairly new to road cycling . I will be participating in my first ride with a new bike club in 2 weeks! I'm very excited about meeting new friend and learning from other people who love to cycle,but I'm also very nervous....You see I'm VERY overweight and this first ride is 35 miles. I've been doing indoor spinning classes 2-3 days a week for over a year,but i'm not sure if I am adequately prepared for a 35 mile ride! Any words of encouragement or advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

AutumnBreez
04-10-2005, 12:35 AM
You have to start somewhere right?! Allow yourself some room for change. Riding your bike will be a nice new experience from spinning as you will get fresh air, and change of scenery!
I don't know how much you are getting out on your bike since you got it. Were you fitted for it? and if you are having any issues with the saddle. If you are not fitted well and/or the saddle is not allowing your sit bones to rest properly you may come into problems within the first hour...only speaking from experience and reading others beginnings. I believe that the long ride with your new friends will be more enjoyable if you are comfortable and not in pain. If you are doing well on your saddle for an hour or more then you will do fine. If you can get out everyday for an hour ride before meeting with new club you will feel more confident and have time to bond with your new bike (know if you need to do anything-little or big adjustments to be made, etc. )
Wish you lots of fun on your new bike journeys, and welcome Cindy to the TE Forums!

AutumnBreez
04-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Are you just learning the clipless pedals?
If so, getting out as much as possible will also bring you comfort before going with club.

As well as learning to use the gears to benefit you in keeping a consistant cadence and abilities up hill.

CorsairMac
04-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Welcome to the club! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!....your first club ride sounds exciting. Let them know you're new to riding and to club riding and have fun. and what AB said! :)

nuthatch
04-11-2005, 04:14 AM
Welcome, Heartmender! Another Kentuckian (I think there's at least one other board member who lives in western KY). I'm originally from Lexington - beautiful country to ride in! Be careful out there!

heartmenderRN
04-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks ladies for the warm welcome and great advice . I haven't had this much fun in years!!!! I can feel myself getting stronger every day!

Cycling is SOOOOOOOOO much fun !!!!!!!!!! :D :) :D :)

CorsairMac
04-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks ladies for the warm welcome and great advice . I haven't had this much fun in years!!!! I can feel myself getting stronger every day!

Cycling is SOOOOOOOOO much fun !!!!!!!!!! :D :) :D :)

Ruh Roh: Looks like we got us another candidate for CA (cyclists anon)!

Biking Chick
04-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Welcome to the boards heartmenderRN - as usual the TE members have given you some great advice (if I do say so myself!) All I will add for my two cents worth is to enjoy yourself - don't feel you need to keep up with anyone other than yourself. I hope you'll post after your ride - we'll be anxious to share in your success. (Glad to have another Cindy on the team!)

Bikerchick68 - very inspiring about your brother. Awesome.