PDA

View Full Version : Panniers, lights and rain gear...oh my!

JaneE
06-30-2008, 12:13 PM
DH and I are anxious to get out for our first weekend tour. We picked up our new babies last week (two Surly Long Haul Truckers). They're beautiful. :)

Now we're in the market for panniers. I've been reading everything I can find on the pros and cons of the various makes and types (waterproof vs. breathable, among other features). I'd love to hear about your real-world experiences. What do you have? What do you wish you had? What would you do differently? We're planning on tour-camping so we'll be hauling a whole bunch of stuff.

We need lights! There is such a dizzying array of choices out there; it's overwhelming. Is there such a thing as lights that can attach to pannier racks? We bought the Surly "Nice Rack" front and rear racks and there is a braze-on on both for, I'm assuming, a light to be attached. Can't seem to be able to actually *find* lights that don't have handlebar, stem or helmet mounts, though. Being the non-mechanical person that I am, I'm afraid my imagination doesn't extend to jury-rigging bicycle light mounts. :( Am I missing a fundamental feature of all bike lights (such as: sure! They'll all fit wherever you'd like to put them!)?

We're thinking that some kind of rain suits will come in handy (especially this year in the northeast: Rain, rain and more rain and cool-ish...and did I mention that it's been very rainy? ;)). If we try to ride only on dry days I'm afraid we won't be doing much riding. I've searched and searched...the choices seem to be limited to *cheap and flimsy* (and probably not very breathable) and *high tech and EXPENSIVE*. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground there. :( Waterproof shoe covers is another issue that has me stymied. Is there anything out there that's light-weight, waterproof and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? We don't need/want the inslulated neoprene things for wet summer riding. What, if anything, do people use?

Sorry this is so long...I'm hoping to be able to pick your brains a little.

Thanks a million in advance! :)

wolfak
06-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Cateye HL-EL410 has an easy mount that is attached to the light - no bracket to affix to the handlebar, which means you can affix the light's base on any tube and swivel the light to point forward.

Also, if you are riding anytime that is at all dark, use the flashing mode (I use it all the time). It makes you WAY more visible than solid mode. It only took one cut off by a stupid auto driver to make me see the value of flashing mode. The shoulder recovery was much sower.

JaneE
07-01-2008, 06:21 AM
Cateye HL-EL410 has an easy mount that is attached to the light - no bracket to affix to the handlebar, which means you can affix the light's base on any tube and swivel the light to point forward.

Also, if you are riding anytime that is at all dark, use the flashing mode (I use it all the time). It makes you WAY more visible than solid mode. It only took one cut off by a stupid auto driver to make me see the value of flashing mode. The shoulder recovery was much sower.

Thanks for the information. :)

Those lights look pretty good. We're not planning on doing any night riding but you never know when an emergency might arise or when you might need to ride through a tunnel.

The mounting brackets on a number of CatEye models can be rack-mounted (according to their comparison charts). Good information to know. Thanks! :-)

DebW
07-01-2008, 07:15 AM
I was going to recommend a PI rain jacket I have the fits your criteria of not cheap and flimsy but not high tech or expensive either. But since I can't find it on PI's site or at REI where I bought it 2 years ago for ~$100, maybe it's been discontinued. It's a coated nylon fabric (claims to be breathable) in bright yellow with an excellent fit and huge pit zips. I ride in it in cool weather as a highly visible windbreaker and don't get too sweaty. Very waterproof, but I expect the waterproofing will wear off in a few years, as all coated fabrics do.

For your feet, I was going to recommend some simple but effective shoe covers I got from Performance, but guess they are discontinued too. These cover the whole top of your shoe, attach together in back with velcro, and have a toe piece that anchors the front. Some sort of stretchy waterproof fabric that keep your feet dry in the rain. Same idea as toe covers, but with more coverage.

JaneE
07-01-2008, 07:56 AM
I was going to recommend a PI rain jacket I have the fits your criteria of not cheap and flimsy but not high tech or expensive either. But since I can't find it on PI's site or at REI where I bought it 2 years ago for ~$100, maybe it's been discontinued. It's a coated nylon fabric (claims to be breathable) in bright yellow with an excellent fit and huge pit zips. I ride in it in cool weather as a highly visible windbreaker and don't get too sweaty. Very waterproof, but I expect the waterproofing will wear off in a few years, as all coated fabrics do.

For your feet, I was going to recommend some simple but effective shoe covers I got from Performance, but guess they are discontinued too. These cover the whole top of your shoe, attach together in back with velcro, and have a toe piece that anchors the front. Some sort of stretchy waterproof fabric that keep your feet dry in the rain. Same idea as toe covers, but with more coverage.

I have a (supposedly) breathable rain jacket (not biking-specific...Lands End, I think?) that I can use in a pinch. It's bright yellow. It's well-made. What it absolutely ISN'T, however, is breathable (unless you're standing still and not expending any energy to work up even a tiny sweat).

The shoe covers are giving us fits, though. I have searched and Googled high and low and all that seems to be available is the insulated type which we don't want or need. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be anything out there for warmer weather wet riding. Do people just let their feet get soaked when they're touring? It just doesn't seem very appealing to me.

I'm a quilter/sewer. I may actually try to make some simple shoe covers. If it works out well I'll post some pictures. If it doesn't you'll never hear me mention it again. ;)

Zen
07-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Check PricePoint (http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16951-520_ADICP7-15-Bargain_Basement-142-Clothing/Adidas-CP-Storm-Jacket.htm)for clothing.

NadiaMac
07-01-2008, 08:19 AM
I have these
http://www.rei.com/product/725342

Not sure if the fleece lining disqualifies these for you as too warm. They are very thin- like raincoats for your shoes- and frankly not very warm, which is why I tend to use my neoprene shoe covers instead.

there's a useful thread here (discusses quite a few other options):

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-360161.html

Zen
07-01-2008, 05:10 PM
These are worth a look-
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15583-535_BEWAN6-1-Clothing-2-Cool-Weather-Gear/Bellwether-Aqua-No-Booties.htm

JaneE
07-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Looks like a very interesting site (hadn't heard of it before).

Thanks for the tip...and the link. :)

wolfak
07-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the information. :)

Those lights look pretty good. We're not planning on doing any night riding but you never know when an emergency might arise or when you might need to ride through a tunnel.

The mounting brackets on a number of CatEye models can be rack-mounted (according to their comparison charts). Good information to know. Thanks! :-)

I also like that light because it's one light that I use on both of my bikes. Lights are always a good thing, both front and back. You want to make sure that you are seen by every driver whether or not they are on the look out for you.

I use all of my lights every ride and always wear the bright green vest in order to make sure I am seen. I have had two severe accidents - one my fault (and unrelated to lights) that knocked me out for over 12 hours, and one at the hand of an idiot on the roadway because I didn't previously know the power of the flashing headlight. I know it seems silly, but there are a lot of stupids out there that are asleep behind the wheel - keep yourself safe!

Also, lights will be handy in heavy downpour along with your raingear!

Happy trails!

boy in a kilt
07-01-2008, 06:55 PM
For touring purposes, I picked up a poncho. Not aerodynamic in the least but it keeps the rain off me. Plus, it does double duty as a tarp when needed.

And don't feel bad about the light. I always take a headlight when I'm touring. Either it takes longer than you thought to get to the next campsite, or you decided "let's go out on town to eat" and end up coming home in the dark.

Besides, they also work as flashlights.

clarson1178
07-03-2008, 02:38 PM
some suggestions from experience

painners, i really like mine that i got at REI they are the waterproof ones, almost like rubber a little heavy but so nice not having to worry about using ziplocks bags for everything inside, when it rains (and it sounds like it will a lot) it will be nice to just keep on going instead of having to stop and make some adjustments to your packing. this was very nice and convientient.
however if it is really humid they aren't the best things get a little nasty and moldy if your not careful, shouldn't have that problem in the northwest.

camping, don't bring "a whole bunch of stuff" look into ultralight backpacking and then use that same idea for ultralight touring. i was out for a month and had two panniers, wouldn't up the amount for a year or even longer. then again im a ultralight kind of person

rain gear... i never used my pants, then bothered me, so after 5 minutes they were back in the pack,
lights, i try to have found my camp spot right before dusk, that way i didn't have to depend on a really strong light. cat eye.... something they are all pretty good.

DON'T FORGET A MIRROR, I LOVE HAVING ONE, MY FRIEND DIDN'T WANT ONE BUT THE FIRST BIKE SHOP WE FOUND(300 MILES INTO THE RIDE)SURE ENOUGH SHE BOUGHT ONE.
good luck and let us know how it goes. :D

Rai Sue
07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
If you are thinking of getting rain gear for your shoes, you might try just getting galoshes from an army-navy store, and then cutting holes in the bottom (if you have clips). THis is the only thing i've been able to do to keep my feet really dry while touring. (My ex-bf got the expensive booties, and his poor feet were cold and wet :()

have fun!
Rai Sue

bikebums.com/2008

JaneE
07-09-2008, 03:36 AM
If you are thinking of getting rain gear for your shoes, you might try just getting galoshes from an army-navy store, and then cutting holes in the bottom (if you have clips).

Interesting idea! We have a surplus store near us. I will definitely check this out. Thanks for the tip. :)

I also read that a nice piece of duct tape under the insoles of your shoes to cover the cleat screw holes will prevent water from seeping in from the bottom. Yet another clever use of duct tape. :)

ridebikeme
07-09-2008, 04:26 AM
I have tried the duct tape under the insole... definitely works! Although I would say that it is more useful in cold weather than wet....in wet weather when I used duct tape it also helped my shoes retain more water. Remember that water is not only coming from the ground and your bike, but also dripping from your knees and running down your legs. At any rate, it would be interesting to hear what you think! Good luck!;)

Rev Barb
08-10-2009, 02:16 PM
I use Planet Bike Superflash on the back of the rack...it's on the blinking mode whenever I ride. I have a Planet Bike front light that can be attached to the handlebar bag or used as a head light. THEN I have a second front light and red blinker on my helmet for those really dark and stormy days.

I use a yellow kayak rain top...couldn't see spending the money for something to cover just my big butt. I have never been so wet that I didn't get dry.

ginny
08-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Regarding panniers, have a look at Deuter. I bought something different (can't even remember what brand at the moment), and they have lots of pockets, but they are a PITA to get on and off the rack. My friend spent (quite) a bit more for her Deuters, but they are a dream! They mount on and off the racks with no difficulty and they are water proof and all around super awesome! Before my next big tour, I plan on putting mine on ebay and buying some Deuter's. I just bought a bullfrog by krog front light. It has a variety of blinking modes and runs on AAA batteries (which I like because it makes recharging on a tour a non-issue). It has 5 LED lights and only cost $34. It is good and bright and doesn't break the bank as many bike lights do. I also have a LHT, and I was able to mount the bullfrog on the head tube (vertically) so it is symmetrical - I may be a tad OCD...I have a planet bike rear light too... when it is blinking it looks like an ambulance is following me down the road - which is a good thing - makes me stand out more. Happy touring!

bikerHen
08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Don't forget bike fenders! I just finished a week long tour in Oregon. We had one day of rain. I had no rain gear, oops I forgot to bring it! The air temperature was warm enough for me not to get cold, and my fenders kept my feet and Keen cycling sandals mostly dry. My fenders are full fenders with mud guards and really do help keep me and my gear dry. I recently had to ride all day in the rain on my road bike with no fenders and whined the whole time about not having my LHT w/fenders. I was pouring water out of my shoes when we got to the finish.

The tour leader showed us some waterproof booties that I think were from PI. Their only drawback was they didn't have any opening for cleats. Good luck with your gear hunt and enjoy those LHT'er they are GREAT bikes. bikerHen