PDA

View Full Version : Slug Gulch-May 15

yellow
04-08-2005, 06:02 PM
In keeping with my promise to organize a pre-Sierra Century Slug Gulch ride up here in my neck-o-the-foothills, I am proposing Sunday May 15 as the big day. I know Kim can make it that day and SK and Bubba probably. My plan is to do about a 9 am start time (from the park in Fairplay, which is a blip on the map) and to follow the ride with sipping of Slug Gulch Red at Oakstone winery and perhaps a picnic somewhere (or there is a cute little bistro with pretty good food for El Dorado County that we could go to). Come join us!

Here is the proposed route:

Slug Gulch Ride (http://www.beautifulvista.com/Bike_Rides/slug_gulch_hwy_88_shake_ridge_loop.htm)

There are some shorter options or I'm sure I could get one of my hh friends to ride the actual Slug Gulch Rd over and over if anyone so desires (Nancy?? :D ).

PM me for directions or other pertinent info.

y

Veronica
04-08-2005, 07:31 PM
We drove it last weekend. I pulled a muscle in my back so we didn't ride, but I wanted to see it. It's a little itty bitty road - like Morgan Territory, but better paved. Not a trivial climb as Thom says. It's on my calendar.

V.

SadieKate
05-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Bump. OK, it says I have to enter 10 characters. Bump, bump.

Veronica
05-03-2005, 09:38 AM
We have an event now on the 15th. One of Thom's coworkers is in a band and is performing on Fishmerman's wharf. She's a really good singer. She sings with The Jeffersons - yes doing the Grace Slick stuff. But that's not teh group she's performing with on the 15th.

V.

SadieKate
05-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Feel free to move the ride to Saturday to fit into the weather window. I'll be with you in spirit. If the weather allows on Sunday, I'll go do Diablo or Cantelow or Cardiac or the trainer (which is now in the attic where is should be this time of year). Geez, this is ridiculous.

yellow
05-09-2005, 11:26 AM
OK, since the 10-day forecast says rain for Sun and party cloudy for Sat, I propose that we move the Slug Gulch ride to Sat, May 14.

So far the only TE gal that I know is coming is Kim. I know SK can't make it, which really bums me out :( but I have some apple turnovers in my freezer ready to go home with Bubba to make up for that (assuming he doesn't hide them somewhere in an attempt to have them all to himself).

Kim??

Was anyone else going to come? (Does anyone really care :rolleyes: ?)

I'd like to try to decide fer shure by Wednesday.

I am planning on putting together a nice post-ride picnic, if food-bribery works for anyone. Vegetarian friendly.

y

SadieKate
05-09-2005, 11:41 AM
I am planning on putting together a nice post-ride picnic, if food-bribery works for anyone. Vegetarian friendly.

y :( :( :( :(

Apple turnovers?? :D :D :D

I'll ask Bubba if he is committed and if Moose is interested. I know I mentioned it to him and didn't hear any screams of agony. I'll check.

aka_kim
05-09-2005, 11:47 AM
I care! I'm still interested, and can ride on Saturday. If it doesn't look like anyone else can make it, we can move it to another weekend (but before June 4th, please, please?).

aka_kim
05-09-2005, 12:04 PM
At this moment (and it seems to change every hour), the current forecast for Sunday in Plymouth is 78 and partly cloudy. If we all keep our fingers crossed, and don't attempt rain dances :rolleyes: , maybe we can still do the ride on Sunday.

SadieKate
05-09-2005, 04:16 PM
But I couldn't bear the possibility that you could miss out on riding because of me!

Bike Goddess
05-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Well Y, Sorry I haven't said anything before- OF course I would love to come ;) , but my younger sister is having her annual garden party in Aptos that day and I can't miss that one (Heads Up- I 'm taking CARROT CAKE ! :p :p :p ). So I'll go up Slug Gulch in spirit. Another time, FOR SURE! :D :D

By the way, I just checked the weather and the weekend looks good for either day! :) :) Have at it kids!!

Sorry I'm not going to be partaking of yummy vegetarian food- my personal and lifestyle fav.... : :cool:

aka_kim
05-09-2005, 08:13 PM
But I couldn't bear the possibility that you could miss out on riding because of me!
Yes that would be quite a burden since I, for one, would always hold it against you. :rolleyes:

SadieKate
05-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Well, I'm already kicking myself for this past weekend but I just couldn't get it together for Saturday. I needed a total down day. Instead, we checked out the imported tie-dye and dreadlocks at the Whole Earth Festival. I was sooo close to getting a henna tattoo of a chainring on my left calf. Now, THERE would be a dork mark!

yellow
05-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Why henna? Just go for the real thing. I saw one at Solvang that was the around-the-ankle concept that seems to be so popular now, except instead of some fancy scrolly thing it was a chain.

'course the real thing is a bit painful and permanent. What happens if you swear off cycling for bon bon eating festivals in front of the TV? :confused:

CorsairMac
05-10-2005, 01:00 PM
What happens if you swear off cycling for bon bon eating festivals in front of the TV? :confused:

and behold - we once again witness the symbiotic relationship between cycling and eating!!! :p

Petunia
05-11-2005, 07:07 AM
I would love to join you, but am unable to ride on Sunday. :(

yellow
05-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Here is the forecast for Placerville for Sunday:

NWS: Mostly cloudy. High 71. PoP 10%

weather.com: Partly Cloudy High 74°F Precip 10%

I'm NOT changing it, so we're still on for Sunday!

Picnic afterwards at Windwalker Winery since they have a nice picnic area. We'll sneak in a bottle of Slug Gulch red (that comes from a different winery :eek: ).

Windwalker has killer port!

SadieKate
05-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Oooh, Bubba loves port. What time is this shindig and where? What can we bring for the picnic?

yellow
05-15-2005, 05:36 PM
As SadieKate and Bubba and aka_Kim drive back to the valley in the rain, I though I'd post this report.

Highlights:
It didn't start raining until AFTER we were done. :D
The only flat was in the parking lot before we started!
I learned that my definition of "rollers" is way different from that of others. :o
Post ride food and wine are a big, big bonus. :p

We met up with several of my Hangtown Velo friends at the appointed time, with one being late due to alcohol abuse the night before and another slight delay due to a flat tire. It was warmish and muggy and apparently the clouds were coming...

After a 25 yard warm up, the climbing (what I formerly described as "rollers") starts, though the actual "Slug Gulch" is a few miles in. Everyone survived the climb and the next climb and the next climb and the next climb (ad naseum...) just fine and while the cloud cover came and went, it never rained, though it was a bit muggy so we were all pretty sticky. The flowers were fabulous, to the point that at times the scent of lupines was overwhelming. The total climbing, according to the Beautiful Vista website, is 4700' (over 50 miles).

The best part...the after ride picnic complete with paired wines from my friends at Windwalker Winery (http://www.windwalkervineyard.com/wines.htm) (I warned them that we were coming to take over their deck). The menu:

Baba Ganoush (sp?) with pita chips, served with a lovely Windwalker Merlot
Smokey Black Bean Dip and "Rockin' Guacamole" with chips, served with a soft but complex Windwalker Sangiovese
Southwestern Corn Slaw and smoked Wild Turkey (harvested by yellow's honey) served with Windwalker Barbera
Uncompaghre Wraps (on zesty garlic black bean tortillas) complimented with a big, bold Windwalker Petite Sirah

Dessert was fresh fruit but we were too wined out to have Port with that! :)

We're WAY sleepy now! I imagine aka_Kim had a nice nappie on the way home.

And now, it's dumping!

y

Bike Goddess
05-15-2005, 07:14 PM
The ride sounds like a climb, not a ride!!! And the Food part- ooooooh! :D
Down in the flats it hasn't rained yet. Just cloudy and windy.

Aptos was sunny and warm. I even got some sunburn above my biker short tan line :p :p

Wasn't that nice of Mother Nature to wait until you all had finished and even ate and drank! Such cooperation! :D

Now for next Sunday- the 22nd.....

aka_kim
05-15-2005, 07:57 PM
It was a great ride, er climb. Wonderful food (special thanks to Yellow and SK) and good company. And I finally got to see that Slug Gulch isn't quite as intimidating as I'd been led to believe.

Thanks for organizing this Yellow!

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 09:30 AM
The only flat was in the parking lot before we startedDon't you meant "the only flat part was in the parking lot?"

i learned that my definition of "rollers" is way different from that of others. :oYes, Kim and I explained that "rollers" requires involvement of momentum as in "your downhill momentum carries you at least partway up the next hill." The double freakin' hill (we were guessing at how Jo would describe it) following Slug Gulch just rolls UP and UP with a few somewhat shallower spots. It is not a roller. I particularly liked it when I turned onto SG Road, slam into a 14% grade, get over it and think "Ok, one hump down, and ? more to go" when Yellow zips by and perkily says "Here's where the REAL SG starts." :eek: There were only a few 19% spots after that. Since it does have periodic flat spots, it can be done - even after only a few miles of warm-up. Just not sure that I would want to tackle it after the first 78 miles of the Sierra Century.

As the top of Slug Gulch and the following hills wandered up a beautiful forested ridge, I decided that Yellow earned the tiara for the most wildflowers per mile. They were truly stupendous. I thoroughly enjoyed meandering along these quiet mountain roads with turkeys gobbling away. A big thank you to her fellow Hangtown Velo monsters for patiently waiting for us flatlanders at the intersections.

Post ride food and wine are a big, big bonus. :pDon’t forget your yummy curried butternut squash samosas (empanadas). You must have been cooking all day and we took about 10 mins to polish it all off. Mmmm, mmmm, good!

Thanks, Yellow, for a really fun ride. We just whined to harrass you. :D You get a double tiara for the best post ride drinks.

Now, we're going to have to get Jo to organize a Mt. Hamilton ride and someone else to do a Mt. Tam ride so we'll get the Bay Area trifecta.

Veronica
05-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Thom and I have been thinking about doing Mt. Hamiliton from Livermore as an out and back. That will be about a century I think.

V.

yellow
05-16-2005, 10:39 AM
Yes, Kim and I explained that "rollers" requires involvement of momentum as in "your downhill momentum carries you at least partway up the next hill."

And Bubba (and I think SK) added that rollers shouldn't require major gear changes (e.g. switching chainrings). AND Bubba also partially explained my confusion by noting that what I think of as "rollers" is actually "rolling uphill". In paying attention to how I usually describe that part of Slug Gulch above the switchbacks but before the school...I call it "rolly". So I think "rolly" means rolling uphill! :o

Oh, and I think the empanadas should have been included in the Barbera menu course.

y

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 10:49 AM
And Bubba (and I think SK) added that rollers shouldn't require major gear changes (e.g. switching chainrings). yThat was Miss Kim. Yes, your eyes and legs are just tuned differently to ours. At Diablo, Rod said nothing was as steep as the top of Diablo. I just need a translation device when talking to the two of you.

But you got me over a big mental obstacle and I'm feeling strong! Woohoo!

aka_kim
05-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Yes, your eyes and legs are just tuned differently to ours.And hearts, and lungs. You Hangtown Velo riders rock -- I think I said the women were all Amazons, and the men the equivalent (not sure what that would be -- bionic? Herculean?).

I didn't know the empanadas were homemade -- they were delicious! And went well with the Sangiovese too.

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Yellow, just in case you and Brian forget it again look at the "little rolly hill" at the end of option one on this map. Isn't that the climb on Dorado Canyon that isn't shown on the map you originally gave us for Slug Gulch? :eek: :eek: :D

http://www.beautifulvista.com/Bike_Rides/slug_gulch_dorado_canyon_loop.htm

yellow
05-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Yellow, just in case you and Brian forget it again look at the "little rolly hill" at the end of option one on this map. Isn't that the climb on Dorado Canyon that isn't shown on the map you originally gave us for Slug Gulch? :eek: :eek: :D

Rolly? Did I say rolly? :rolleyes:

We both admit that we'd forgotten about that. I of course am always more focused on that downhill before that uphill, since I almost killed myself on that (downhill) a couple of years ago. Funny, I never remember the uphill. Of course, usually by that time in any of those rides out there I'm thinking about WHAT I'M GOING TO EAT WHEN I FINISH. I started doing that yesterday out loud and I think Bea would have slugged me if she was a little closer.

SadieKate
05-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Of course, usually by that time in any of those rides out there I'm thinking about WHAT I'M GOING TO EAT WHEN I FINISH. I started doing that yesterday out loud and I think Bea would have slugged me if she was a little closer.That is why we's eating where we's parking on Sunday. I'd hate to see chomp bites on the Bus' upholstery. :p