PDA

View Full Version : Landmine Classic Wompatuck Hingham Mass

TahoeDirtGirl
06-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi, is anyone doing/have done this race? I really fell off the wagon this year and this will be my one race wonder. It's in September, and there are a couple of different classes- 11 mi, 25 mi, and 50 mi. Since I'm new to riding the roots in NE, I'm going for the beginner 11 miler.

Just wondering if anyone has ever done it, I'm going to ride Wompy this week, never have (it's a little far). Any input? I know the bike shop (Bike Barn) that is sponsoring it, so I'm going to see what the guys there say as well.

Crankin
07-03-2008, 08:02 AM
You should talk to Wavedancer (Linda). She rides there.

wavedancer
07-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Wompy is fun! I have ridden there a few times, and roots are plenty. Check it out this week if you can. We have been having some thundershowers off and on, so the trail conditions may not be great. If you come out for the Landmine, you could also come to the NEMBA fest that is held the day before. It's lots of fun and would give you a chance to pre-ride the course.

The park has a good map, but some of the trails are not on it. If you posted on the NEMBA board (http://nemba.org/), you may be able to hook up with some local riders.

TahoeDirtGirl
07-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi Linda!

I had to laugh about the t storms in your reply because I got caught in a what I thought was brewing up to be a mother of a storm! Either case, I will be going back because besides that it was a FUN ride!!!! Alot like some of the stuff out west once you get up the side of the mountain. I'm still struggling with roots and pop up steep climbs. And I got so lost. I was only about a quarter mile from the parking lot but just kept going round and round with my map and thunder overhead! Yikes! Have you ever ridden Freetown? It reminded me of Freetown but a little less remote.

I might do the pre ride and then decide, can you register the day before for the race? I have met the fine folks at the Bike Barn that put it on and they were telling me about the Vermont 50 but I just decided right now that's not a good idea as I haven't been training like I should be and gained WAY too much over the winter.

I don't know what my problem is right now, I'm so anxious to ride in a race out here. I guess I just need to do it and get over it. Part of my problem is getting out and riding. Before I jetted out my door in Tahoe and was on the back part of Mr. Toads in 15 minutes, now I have to load up and drive. Not sure how long I will stay out here but I can't just drop mtb. That's not gonna work!

I have to say tho that the roads here have helped me get on the road and up mileage which have made me a little faster and got some of the chowdah winter poundage offa me !

Thanks for replying! Karin