PDA

View Full Version : I wish I could of gotten a license plate number

TahoeDirtGirl
06-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Coming back from a 30 mile ride, where I hit the wall (and aunt flo shows up so it was a twofer) and only a few miles from home, my friend from behind yells something and next thing I know I see a 12 yr old and water. I had thought the little butthead had spit it on me so I went from 12 mph to 20 mph (uhm..which is fast for me) and trying to get a plate. I was so pi$$ed that I went and looked at every driveway I could for this car. My friend finally caught up and said they didn't spit water, it was a water cannon. Didn't make it 'acceptable' but it wasn't as bad as getting spit on.

I did however, almost manage to keep up with them. Which was crazy. Can someone spit on me at the start of my next mountain bike race?

In all seriousness, I can see how someone could lose their balance and hit the ground, and in my case would of meant getting hit by a car following them.

The bad part is, do people think it's acceptable for their kids to hit cyclists with water?

I can only appreciate that karma is always at work...

redrhodie
06-28-2008, 09:24 AM
A couple of years ago, I saw a guy get hit by a water balloon by some young thugs who were hidden in some bushes on the local bike path. I'm not sure who called the cops, but someone did, the police came quickly, and caught them. I managed to stay out of the line of fire, but yes, getting hit with water looked really shocking, scary and dangerous. It would be very easy to lose control and fall off. I'm glad you didn't!

Mr. Bloom
07-01-2008, 05:43 PM
so I went from 12 mph to 20 mph (uhm..which is fast for me) and trying to get a plate. I was so pi$$ed that I went and looked at every driveway I could for this car.

Sounds like we have similar personalities:eek:

TahoeDirtGirl
07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Sounds like we have similar personalities:eek:

Haha Yeah...not sure that's good or bad. I returned to my mellow self when I found out I didn't get spit on. But trust me, one hairy eyeball is always looking for it... :)

Crankin
07-02-2008, 12:35 PM
About 4 years ago I got hit by a young teen who threw an egg at us as we were riding in Acton! They were crouching behind a short stone wall on their property. I didn't know what it was, so we stopped and rode back to the scene and found the remains of the egg shell. We rang the doorbell, but the kids were scared, so didn't answer. So I looked in the mailbox and found out the name of the family. I should have called the police, but I didn't. Now it's an unusual name; I won't say it, but I know that part of this family owns a used car dealership near here. About a month later I was at the pharmacy and parked next to a car that had the same name on their vanity license plate. So, I left a note on the car. I signed my name and the woman called me. It turned out it was her brother-in-law's kids who were giving him a hard time after a divorce. She thanked me profusely for relating the incident and the kids had to apologize to me.
That's why I love living in a small town. The woman recognized my name from being on the school council at the regional HS (This happened when I lived in Boxborough).

martinkap
07-18-2008, 10:28 PM
My friend (war veteran) got sprayed by fire extinguisher as he was riding his bike. A powerful, full of chemicals blow into his face. He caught the car on the next intersection and put his set of keys next to the front of the car as he started to call 911. The teenagers in the car had a choice - drive a way and suffer long key scratches along the car or stay on the spot. It was an expensive car, they stayed on the spot until police showed up.

There were some charges and some compensations for my friend. I think he had to go to the hospital due to the kind of chemicals in that particular fire extinguisher they used.

I thought that the 'keys' trick was quite clever.

Martina

aicabsolut
07-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Honestly, on some of these really hot days, I long to see a person wielding a garden hose or super soaker when i'm out for a ride :p. I've even asked someone to hit me with a hose as I went by. The guy was rinsing off the sidewalk outside of his business, and he said, "What? Really?" "YES!!" "ok..."

But I do see your point. I wouldn't want to be spit on or have anything thrown at me, especially the latter. I've heard of people getting hit with bottles and all sorts of things. Stuff like that can cause a wreck (maybe it knocks you off balance, maybe the thing goes in your spokes...). In traffic at speed.

bmccasland
07-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Yesterday I was wishing for a sprinkler to ride through.

It's one thing to ask someone to hose you down, it's another when done with malice. I do like the key trick.

TahoeDirtGirl
07-28-2008, 04:45 PM
The other thing that I think is really dangerous is when people come up next to you or right behind you and lay on the horn. I had this happen yesterday. It doesn't happen that often, in fact, this was the first time in over 500 miles on the new commuter bike. I don't know what they were honking at, I was as far over as I could be. AND it was a 4 lane road. I dunno bout you but when a horn gets blasted I go a little off kilter. What worries me is if it happens when you are hitting a sandy spot or something you need to concentrate on keeping upright.

I have thought about getting a side mirror but I think that might make me more nervous.

SouthernBelle
07-29-2008, 04:48 AM
Sometimes I think people honk and think they are doing a good thing by letting you know they are behind you and about to pass.