PDA

View Full Version : Starting off early

shootingstar
06-28-2008, 03:23 AM
Have to say that one of the things about loaded touring...is disciplining oneself nearly daily..to push off early on the bike.

Now, I already get up early to go to work at 5:15 am.

But this morning, it's pushing off on bike at 4:30 am...so that we can catch ferry for Vancouver Island. On one's vacation days..it requires discipline. :o

However anything to do lots of cycling before noon sun.

Tri Girl
06-28-2008, 06:08 AM
4:30? Yikes! When I sleep in a tent, it's not hard to get up that early (I always sleep crappy). After having just spent two weeks tenting and camping in different places, I was always very ready to get up and going by 5. Then again, I didn't have to pedal 50-75 miles after waking up. :rolleyes:

You're studly!!!! Where are you headed???

shootingstar
06-29-2008, 01:58 PM
We wanted to catch the earliest ferry from Vancouver.
Actually good thing we cycled over to a bus stop...15 kms. away to use bike racks on bus..gotta get there lst ..because on holiday weekends there's competition for bike racks that accommodate 2-3 bikes.

On that day after getting off, dropping off pannier weights at hotel..then cycling another 15 kms. to another ferry to cross a bay....after lunch, winery...it was around 30 degrees C (I think that's over 80-85F), returning..it was 70-75 kms. yesterday.

At this very moment I'm at the Saun Juan Island library, email, etc. Just discovered I had been riding last few days with my front tire at 40 psi.. :cool: I knew my bike riding was unnecessarily sluggish. I felt like a banana slug (a Pacific Northwest creature that is a large bright yellow slug that looks beautiful.) We had problems getting valve screw loose to pump wheel prior to trip. Bike shops in vancouver close long after I get home from work...to fix that problem.

And I saw 2 black porpoises earlier this afternoon:) ,...while we were on the ferry whipping from Victoria to Saun Juan Is. At least it looked like porpoises, too small for whales.

Tri Girl
06-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Sounds like you're having a lot of fun, and seeing some great things! How many days do you plan on being away- and do you have any pictures to share with us???

shootingstar
06-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Won't be until few days after we get home, that pics can be posted.

Started off cycling early again at 7:00am to a little state park ..known for whale-watching spot. We sat a big fat sea lion flopped on a shoreline rock...blended in well with the rock colours. Just a beautiful day, terra cotta bark arbutus trees against bright blue skies and calm ocean. :)

A great way to begin to celebrate his birthday today.

Zen
06-30-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm looking forward to photos.
WARNING I'll have lots of equipment questions too (though it's too late, I ordered my 2nd set of panniers this AM:o

shootingstar
07-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Some photos. Doesn't entirely reflect the days that I was fully loaded with 2 bike panniers. But anyway...

boy in a kilt
07-05-2008, 11:22 PM
There just isn't much on the other side of that tent wall that would make crawling out of my sack worthwhile. Where ever I'm headed that day will still be there if I leave a couple of hours later.

Tri Girl
07-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Great pictures! Such a pretty landscape.