PDA

View Full Version : Over 60?

maggieH
04-06-2005, 10:27 AM
I have a little pad of TE sticky-notes because I've bought clothing here, but today I'm new to the forums, but not to biking. I started biking regularly in 2004 - did about 400 miles. This year my goal is 3037 miles, very slow miles.

After scanning through about 6 pages on the "over 40" thead over on the newbies forum, I decided to start a new "over 60" thread. I'm 68. I saw that Kate is 63 and Senior Babe is 62, but I didn't keep going to the last page of that thread. There must be more of us who are older.

Ninabike
04-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Hi Maggie,

Going on 61 this month and only getting better!! Your goal is wonderful. Where did that last 37 miles dome from? I did 1,500 miles this past year (my first year of getting back into biking) and now I'm really hooked. Love this forum too.

joyrider
04-06-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm not an over sixty person - but wanted to say I love the picture of the woman on the back of the tandem you used! I gave that picture to my husband last year in the form of an anniversary card!
...In fact, it kinda looks like me when I'm done with a long ride... :p

maggieH
04-06-2005, 01:51 PM
I misspoke, the distance is 3047 miles. This is the distance that that those lunatics who Race Across America (RAAM) (www.raceacrossamerica.org) do in about 9 days. They ride about 22 hours a day and are halucinating by the time they reach Pennsylvania. The Virtual RAAM Challenge (VRC) uses the same time stations -- CorsairMac is pulling me in the VRC and today she pulled me all the way to TE.

Here's the image from the Eurocycle site.

http://www.eurocycle.at/_entwurf/img/titel01.jpg

CorsairMac
04-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Maggie you found us!!!......This ROCKSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! Welcome to the board hun! BTW, there's a Team Estrogen in the BJ board that you're More than welcome to join! and I love the "big" picture even more!!!! (ok...leaving now since I'm not over 60 - yet!)

Bike Goddess
04-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Well you have joined a noble group of women! I am 64 and planning to ride about 5000 mi this year! Started riding clipless September 2003 and barely have time to do anything else besides work full time!

I have been ordained by the younger group as the Bike Goddess....such an honor!

If you want any coaching let me know. I've done 5 centuries and countless metric centuries in the past year. This year I am doing the SF/LA AIDSLifeCycle ride in June- about 600 mi in 7 days.

I am well trained by the "guys" in my bike club. One fellow who is an excellent rider and mechanic is 68 and still going strong. He is an inspiration to me at 64!

Glad to hear I have some company! :D :D

Crankin
04-07-2005, 10:05 AM
You are all an inspiration to me. I am 51 and I often think "Am I going to be able to do this in 10 years?"

The answer is YES!!!

nuthatch
04-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for starting this thread! I so long to be able to ride through my sixties (I'm 48) and beyond and it's so good to hear from all of you how much you are still enjoying the ride!!!

oldbikah
04-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Another 60+ biker chiming in! I am 62 and have been finding more of my 55-65 year old friends willing to try some biking. Nothing like the mileage some of you do, but one must start somewhere. Here in western Maine there is still snow along the roadsides and I am still skiing, but SOON the bikes come out.

Bike Goddess
04-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Oooooo- Skiiing! Good cross training my dear! :) You should be a whirlwind once those snows melt! :D :D