PDA

View Full Version : jasper/banff bike rental

NadiaMac
06-23-2008, 08:06 PM
I am going on my first loaded tour this August from Banff to Jasper. I don't have a suitable bike and I'd prefer to rent a bike for loaded touring rather than buying yet another bike.

(by suitable bike I mean bike geared for loaded touring, rack mountable, canti brakes, larger tires, sturdy wheels, etc.)

Is anyone aware of a shop or tour company that rents such a bike in Jasper, Banff, Calgary or Edmonton? Thanks for advice.

kelownagirl
06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I am going on my first loaded tour this August from Banff to Jasper. I don't have a suitable bike and I'd prefer to rent a bike for loaded touring rather than buying yet another bike.

(by suitable bike I mean bike geared for loaded touring, rack mountable, canti brakes, larger tires, sturdy wheels, etc.)

Is anyone aware of a shop or tour company that rents such a bike in Jasper, Banff, Calgary or Edmonton? Thanks for advice.

Are you going alone or ?
Want a supported tour or ?

I'l be in Jasper on Saturday/Sunday. Can look around if you I have time.

crazycanuck
06-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Hey,

I'll have a peek at the Lonely Planet:Canada for info. Have you posted over @ the LP site?

NadiaMac
06-24-2008, 06:16 AM
Hi
I am going with two (very experienced) friends and it is not a supported tour- we are carrying all of our stuff, including camping gear, etc.

Thanks for the LP tip- I'll go look over there.
Kelownagurl- thanks for taking a look if you have time. have fun in jasper!
Cara

carback
07-04-2008, 03:26 PM
A quick google search of bike shops in the cities/towns you mentioned should bring up some places.

I can only speak to Calgary, but Bow Cycle would be a good start. Or The Bike Shop. If neither of them rent, I'd like to think they could point you in the right direction.

I would imagine shops in Banff & Jasper might be more limited.

Have a blast - it's one of the most spectacular rides you could do. Be prepared for the possibility of snow going over Sunwapta pass (it happened to me on a late August tour through there a number of years ago).

p.s. Are you riding Banff to Jasper or Jasper to Banff? The prevailing wind is from the north so if you have the option, I would recommend the Jasper to Banff direction.

kelownagirl
07-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Sorry, I didn't end up spending any time in the town this trip like I had thought. There should be lots of info online tho. I know there are a number of companies that do tours too.

NadiaMac
07-04-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm going Jasper to Banff. I decided to use my old road bike rather than rent. The bike can accomodate fatter tires and has a triple. I found racks at Old Man Mountain that work on the bike (which lacks eyelets/rack mounts). So I am all set and am looking forward to the tour!

Thanks for the tip about the weather. I see that it can get chilly at night, and am preparing also for the possibility of chilly rainy days on the road.

kelownagirl
07-04-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm going Jasper to Banff. I decided to use my old road bike rather than rent. The bike can accomodate fatter tires and has a triple. I found racks at Old Man Mountain that work on the bike (which lacks eyelets/rack mounts). So I am all set and am looking forward to the tour!

Thanks for the tip about the weather. I see that it can get chilly at night, and am preparing also for the possibility of chilly rainy days on the road.

I just drove it and have most of the elevation profile on my garmin. As soon as I upload it to motionbased, I'll give you the link.

Here ya go....

Icefields Parkway, Jasper to Banff (http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6157266)