PDA

View Full Version : Washington riders?

waterlilli
09-21-2002, 06:06 PM
Washington riders where are you? I know there have to be some. Come out, come out where ever you are. Ride safe

pennys
09-27-2002, 07:00 AM
Eastern WA mountain biker.

Hill-Slug
09-29-2002, 10:36 AM
I moved to the dry side a few years ago. I lived in Spokane until last May. The Centennial Trail is a roadie's dream when it's not clogged with users.

I'm now living in the Palouse. It is a cyclist's dream or nightmare, depending upon your viewpoint. There's little traffic, not much rain, few steeps, and if you're craving a good burn there is always wind. On the down side, there are a lot of gravel roads, few roads have shoulders (and those that do are narrow and gravel), many of the paved roads are chip sealed (as a tax payer, I think chip sealing is great; as a cyclist, I loathe chip sealing), the heat almost defies description, there are no kids with lemonade stands and no mini-marts, and there is always wind.

I think the worst of it is the high percentage of gravel roads. There's so much territory I'd love to explore, but I can only handle so much gravel. (I keep telling myself "Paris-Roubaix, here I come!") :cool:

waterlilli
10-07-2002, 04:39 PM
Did you ever ride Beacon hill when you were in Spokane. I heard it was a blast?

pennys
10-08-2002, 06:49 AM
I love riding Beacon... there's an XC course, a DH course, and lots and lots of trails to choose from. I' really working on techinical skill for ledges and launches, lots to play on. If you are into air, there's a bunch of free ride stuff too, and some built stunts. Something for everyone.

I also ride Riverside, High Drive, Tower Mountain, and Mt Spokane.

penny s

Susan126
11-18-2002, 05:41 PM
Hello, my name is Sue . . . I live in Bonney Lake, Washington. I ride both mountain and road bikes. I live to ride! Favorite ride in Washington . . .

Devil's Gulch in Cashmere (a great mountain bike ride!)
Hubby (Joe) and I usually make it a two dayer. We ride Devil's Gulch on one day and on the second day we do a long road ride.

I will begin training for Chilly Hilly in February, Daffodil Classic in April, TOSRV-West (Tour of Swan River Valley) in Montana in May, STP and Courage Classic soon. Yep, this will be a big year for the looonnng rides!

But will also squeeze in my mountain biking! :D

If any one of you will be riding in any of the above rides let me know and I will look for you!

I belong to two great bike clubs. STMCC http://www.stmcc.org/ for my mountain bike fix and Cascade Bicycle Club http://www.cascade.org/Home/ for my road ride fix. If you visit STMCC check out the pictures of Joe and me riding in Montana and Oregon this summer! We had a blast!

Keep on pedaling!!!!
Sue :)

MM_QFC!
11-20-2002, 04:24 PM
Have done those routes multiple times, Sue; you'll enjoy them! Chilly Hilly: prep for crowds and not-so-nice weather (first time, I rode through sun, quickly turning to hail and sleet to finish - careful on Bainbridge's twisting hills! Daffodil has iffy weather too, but routes are pretty and it's a great atmosphere...not as crowded as Chilly Hilly and no worry about thousands of bikes lying down on the ferry and someone stepping into your spokes - ouch! You live in that area (Orting), so chances are you've driven much of that route already...Have you done the STP before? I remember going to the training seminar that Cascade puts on multiple times beforehand...lots of good prep and training info, especially that you should train for mileage, not hills. Watch the CBC site for schedule and info. Crowds at the UW start there too and it's usually the most dangerous when there are so many people - many beginning road/group ride riders too - getting underway. They stagger the starts and all 1-day riders are supposed to have about a half an hour lead, but no one monitors it and so anyone who wants can start at the 1-day rider time. It's a terrific experience though, well planned and well-supported. Haven't done the actual Courage Classic ride, but have been on rides each leg of the route...you'll love Blewett Pass - on Day 2, I think between Cle Elum and Leavenworth...have fun!
Tailwinds to you.

Susan126
11-21-2002, 03:01 PM
MM_QFC, Thank you for all the great information on the rides! I figured that with a name like "Chilly Hilly" plus the fact that it's held in February the weather would be iffy! But oh well ... it makes it more interesting and who knows maybe this year it will be sunny, warm and no one will show! Wishful thinking on my part?

No, I have never participated in the STP. I know a lot of friends who had. They say it's a fun ride, and like you said, it's well organized, supported and planned. I did consider riding in it this year but I have that long event in May and the Courage Classic in August. But you never know, I may still sign up for it! I heard that there was a big crash at the beginning of this year's STP. A domino effect. But I don't think anyone was seriously hurt. Thank goodness.

This Saturday I will be at the new REI in Tacoma (Grand Opening). Our mountain bike club, STMCC, will have a table set up inside the store. We'll be giving out information on our club. My shift is from 12:30 til 3:00. If anyone is looking for a mountain bike club to join come out and say hello! I guess I won't be mountain biking on Saturday but I will be road riding on Sunday! Hubby, me and a friend of ours .... we're going to do a road ride starting from Marymore Park in Redmond. We're going to head out towards Union Hill or Novelty Hill come out in Snoqualmie Valley East, head south into Carnation and back over Tolt Hill Road. I think that's the plan ..... but I am never quite sure. My hubby has a thing about changing things at the last minute. We may stay local and start in Enumclaw and ride to Black Diamond and the Black Diamond Bakery! Yummy :) So I never know .... I love advernturous weekend rides! I hope the weather stays nice, I think just fog. And I hope everyone out there gets an opportunity to ride this weekend! :D

Sue