PDA

View Full Version : Addict seeking program

SnappyPix
04-04-2005, 03:57 AM
I have finally entered the dark side, from which, I’m sure, there IS no escape!
Over the past few months, my interest in cycling has escalated to such a degree, that I can now only describe it as a full-on obsession!
Ladies, is there any known cure for my condition? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? :confused:
I’ve gone from enjoying a pleasurable little pootle, to living and breathing cycling during every waking moment!
To make matters worse, my DH has developed the same unhealthy obsession and we now seem to be feeding one another’s’ habits!
My main areas of concern seem to be as follows:
• I am no longer able to function as a productive, enthusiastic employee, periodically checking into TE for more useful tips and banter, and gazing out of the window intermittently, bemoaning the fact I’m stuck indoors in such cycling-perfect weather!
• The lure of lycra has become unquenchable. I have re-budgeted my monthly clothing allowance to allocate 5% to normal clothing, 95% to cycling related clothing.
• I would rather have Pearl Izumi than pearls.
• I am incapable of going into a bike store without coming out with a handful of “essential items”. It has become so bad that if I don’t pay a weekly visit, the bike store call to check I’m ok.
• I have a “died and gone to heaven” euphoric feeling when powering along on my bike, and completely fail to comprehend what other people do for fun.
• I pay frequent visits to my garage, to lust after my lovely road bike and stand and admire it. Prolonged periods can pass in a semi-hypnotic state, before I realise I’ve been admiring my front mech for an embarrassing period of time.
• I have developed a nerdy passion about all things bikey – I no longer just admire the colour of someone else’s bike, I have to check out their frame, groupset, pedals, etc. The worrying thing is that I now know what an Ultegra 39/53, 12-25 set-up means.
• I begin to develop a jittery feeling if I’m not projecting forwards in a semi-prone position, with the sound of rubber running over tarmac.
• When I’m not out on my bike, with a silly big grin on my face, I’m reliving favourite rides, often they permeate my dreams and I wake up exhausted after a hard 70 mile training run throughout the night.
• My grip on reality has become cycle-specific. People are perceived to be altogether nicer if their preferred pastime is riding a bike – especially if female. Non-cyclists are viewed with amazement and disbelief.
• I become irritable, irrational and hormonal if not able to go out to play.
• I am able to rationalise my behaviour as “passionate”, rather than “addictive/obsessive”.

Unfortunately, the above list is not exhaustive, my addiction is currently escalating month-on month, as the excitement of longer daylight hours increases. :eek:
Would it be possible for any of you ladies to guide me to a 12-step program, which may be able to help me slowly address these issues?
Is there a support-group I could join to share my concerns with like-minded souls, perhaps seeking kinmanship/kinpersonship(?!) with others?
You help is gratefully welcomed and appreciated …

DeniseGoldberg
04-04-2005, 06:47 AM
I have to say your post really made me smile! You're not alone... aren't we all addicted to cycling?

--- Denise

SadieKate
04-04-2005, 08:03 AM
You're making me giggle out loud here at work. Can't help you with a 12-step program, but I can help with good excuses.

We live in a college town so a lot of univ students are employed by the shops. So, we feel it is our contribution to their college education. Makes us feel ever so altruistic.

aka_kim
04-04-2005, 08:46 AM
LOL.

Here is one 12-step program, but it could use some (much) improvement:

Admit we are powerless over our addiction -- it is all about the bike.
Believe in the power of Lance, Miguel, Bernard, Eddy and Jacques.
Decide to turn our will and our lives over to becoming faster, stronger and lighter.
Make a searching and fearless inventory of all bike catalogs.
Admit the exact nature of our wrong turns.
Allow time on the bicycle to remove all defects in cadence and spin.
Humbly admit that we'll never ride like Lance.
Make a list of all reckless drivers, and pass the list on to others.
Make direct eye contact with motorists and signal hazards to other cyclists.
Continue to take personal inventory and replace worn out gear.
Seek to always improve our components.
Awake to the results of these steps, ride all day and eat what we want, and carry this message to others.

joyrider
04-04-2005, 10:28 AM
I don't know how I went from, "Well, I guess since my brother got my old bike functional again, maybe I'll get out a little on it and get a little exercise for my poor tired old body" to BORING THE CRAP out of everyone I know with my constant chatter about riding! What happened to me? :D But really, all it took was that first ride. I was only about a half mile away from my house, tooling along, and I got that rush. The rest is history!
The best part is being able to come here and share with and learn from other people who REALLY GET IT!

CorsairMac
04-04-2005, 12:55 PM
I just took Nico into the LBS for a thorough checkover and of Course I walked out flat broke later with 2 new jerseys, 2 new shorts, new seat, new pedals, a seat bag, CO2 cartridges and pump, oh...and since I got new pedals of Course I had to have new shoes (well duh!!)!! By the time he's ready to pick up (hopefully on Thurs) he'll have new handlebar tape, all new cables and housings, another cyclometer (can 1 have too Many cyclometers??), plus the new seat and pedals. (ain't plastic Grand?? :o ) The guys at the LBS were jealous of Nico - and Kathie felt Very smug!!!

Oh and V??....I found one - I found a cyclometer that does altitude and inclination! Finally I'll know what the dadburned climb is every night when I go home!

So addicted??.....I resemble that remark and my 12-step program is to increase my mileage in 12 easy steps until I can do a century!!!!

Deanna
04-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Oh and V??....I found one - I found a cyclometer that does altitude and inclination! Finally I'll know what the dadburned climb is every night when I go home!

Which one has an inclinometer? I destroyed the CPU on my cyclometer and I was planning on getting one with an altimeter, but if I could get an inclinometer too I'd be especially happy.

Thanks, D

fasteryet
04-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Anyone know where there are any meetings around here?

Veronica
04-04-2005, 03:38 PM
The Polar 710 will you give you % of grade when you download the info into your computer.

V.

Bike Goddess
04-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Kim- I like your response! If anyone looks at my mileage, it tells all!!! :D :D My LWS (ie.partner- Dave) is pretty used to me flying out the door on Sundays at 7:45AM to ride with the "boys". (He stays home and does the laundry!) Then, when I get back, he wants to know what I have been doing in the garage that took so long (don't you just hang up your bike-well NO!)!

I have this thing about cleaning my bike after long rides. I don't take off the wheels, but with a toothbrush, some Bikewash and old rags, I can pretty well clean the Quest up for the next ride.

Can you imagine how I FEEL when I have to go through puddles? :mad:
"OH Damn! More work cleaning bike when I get home".

My latest dilemma is wondering how I will keep my bike clean on the SF/LA AIDS ride- 7 days- someone else storing my bike, no stand for it, etc. etc.

Price to pay for the wonderful sense of freedom when cruising down hills at 40MPH with light wind and warm sun as well as an incredible sense of well being and satisfaction at having put in a long hard day! :D :D

nuthatch
04-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!! Boring the crap out of everyone - YES! Today my poor boss made the mistake of asking me if I'd found a new road bike yet (I'm shopping) and I talked for 10 minutes - her eyes glazed up almost immediately but did I stop? NOOOOO!

Riding this weekend, I mused, "Is cycling better than sex?" Well, what to you fellow addicts think?

LBTC
04-04-2005, 08:06 PM
ah, yes
addiction

today I walked 2.5km to work. rode my rode bike 14 km in 40minutes after work. drove downtown and did a one hour kickboxing class. During the kickboxing warmup I was day dreaming about that spot on the mountain bike ride when the whole group gets to the trail head and we all take a drink, and chat a bit, and get our heart rates settled down, then climb like stink!! Usually at the beginning of the year that makes me nervous, but today it made me GRIN. :D

when I wheeled my road bike out of the change room, several girls were confused "I thought it would have fat tires" etc.... So I told them about my road bike and my mountain bikes and yup, glazed looks all around. hahahaha

Wednesday night is the first group ride! Haven't seen some of those guys since last fall! wahoo!!

so, what part of obsessing over bike stuff is not normal??

Namaste,
~T~

SnappyPix
04-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Sigh, what a relief to find like-minded souls, and to discover I'm not alone in my perfectly acceptable habit!
Now you guys have got me thinking that maybe I should invest in a new cyclometer, one to measure cadence, altitude, attitude, heart rate, grin level, etc. etc.

And is sex better than cycling? Hmm. Cycling, as in a lovely long ride on a warm sunny day, with a 20mph tailwind and not a care in the world? :rolleyes:
Good grief, of course not!! Luckily my DH doesn't read this board!! ;)

nuthatch
04-05-2005, 02:49 AM
Good grief, of course not!! Luckily my DH doesn't read this board!!

I guess you're right Snappy - it's like comparing apples and oranges. We're lucky life contains a variety of pleasures!

CorsairMac
04-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Which one has an inclinometer? I destroyed the CPU on my cyclometer and I was planning on getting one with an altimeter, but if I could get an inclinometer too I'd be especially happy.

Thanks, D

Specialized Turbo Pro - it apparently doesn't need to have anything D/L. The kid @ the LBS was telling me that's what he uses to MTB and you can just cycle between all the functions??.......it's at the LBS right now being installed on the Peugeot so I can't really tell you anymore until I pick him up Thurs or Fri!
I got it specifically because it does cadence, altitude and inclination.

AutumnBreez
04-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Wow...how did you know I needed help with this obsession?
Scene:....Sitting on saddle formed barstools in a circle of comrads, all with our helmets on- ...Snappypix just gave the first, and very touching testimony and sits back down on her saddle, each taking turns....

Ok then, here goes.....
Hello, I'm AutumnBreez and I am a cycloholic.
Its been 10minutes and 2 sec since my last ride. :D

Thanks for the lovelytime..got to go, the bike is calling for me, and the road needs to be held down.

cyclingnewbie
04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Over the past few months, my interest in cycling has escalated to such a degree, that I can now only describe it as a full-on obsession!
Ladies, is there any known cure for my condition? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? :confused:

Ummm, I'm a little confused. What about this do you think is abnormal? This all sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Is there something I'm missing?? You sound like one of the few seriously normal people who, by definition, ride a bike. I fail to see a problem here......... :p

mtnbikenmama
04-05-2005, 08:50 PM
And is sex better than cycling? Hmm. Cycling, as in a lovely long ride on a warm sunny day, with a 20mph tailwind and not a care in the world? :rolleyes:
Good grief, of course not!! Luckily my DH doesn't read this board!! ;)[/QUOTE]

I guess for a roadie that would depend on if you were riding cobblestones or not :D

SnappyPix
04-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Wow...how did you know I needed help with this obsession?
Scene:....Sitting on saddle formed barstools in a circle of comrads, all with our helmets on- ...Snappypix just gave the first, and very touching testimony and sits back down on her saddle, each taking turns....

Ok then, here goes.....
Hello, I'm AutumnBreez and I am a cycloholic.
Its been 10minutes and 2 sec since my last ride. :D

Thanks for the lovelytime..got to go, the bike is calling for me, and the road needs to be held down.

Hilarious - I can actually picture the session, twitching fingers from twiddling gear levers, tapping feet from spinning pedals - and the idea of saddle shaped barstools is a classic! :D

I guess for a roadie that would depend on if you were riding cobblestones or not

:eek: LOL!! My secret is out! Cobblestones are a big here in the UK!

Grog
07-04-2005, 11:27 AM
My mind was wandering out there and thinking of riding.... so I just typed "addiction" in the forum's search engine and although I don't feel any less addicted I do feel a bit better having read this thread*. :eek:

I need to get my bike in for brakes maintenance - I don't have the right tool for the job at home but they have polished themselves off and must be adjusted - but I'm too shy to walk into the bike shop again. I've been there numerous times in the past three months (once a week and then some more), they must be about to believe that I'm hitting on the shop guys!! (Ok, some of them are cute though...)

Ok, this week's really sunny so I'll ride mostly flats this week to avoid really fast dangerous downhills and get the bike in next Monday. Plus, I'll buy that tool I need so next time I can do it myself as I was taught at the mechanics class.

JanT
07-04-2005, 02:36 PM
There are programs everywhere for cycleholics. They meet every week, usually Saturday or Sunday (both days for the heavily addicted), and some even have their own jerseys! And there are online programs, too--right here at TE! If I can't be riding, I can get my fix right here at home. ;)

betagirl
07-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Whenever I go into the garage with my b/f and my bike is resting peacefully, leaning up against my car, I point to it and say "isn't my bike cool? Isn't it pretty? Don't you love it?" He unfortunately doesn't share my passion :p

Grog
07-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Whenever I go into the garage with my b/f and my bike is resting peacefully, leaning up against my car, I point to it and say "isn't my bike cool? Isn't it pretty? Don't you love it?" He unfortunately doesn't share my passion :p

I used to do that when I walked by the bikes in the hallway of my appartment (no garage unfortunatly!!) and my ex- would laugh at me. (He had an older mountain bike then.)

Then he got his own new road bike and would go to the hallway just to tap his nails on the frame and hear the nice sound of the frame and tell me "isn't it the nicest bike". And I replied: "hadn't I told you?" I was glad for him - he did get an amazing bike!

It's great when you have someone to share your passion with... Then you don't have to refrain from chattering about it!!!

betagirl
07-05-2005, 10:10 AM
More proof you have an issue:

You wash your bike after a gritty ride in the rain and leave your car unattended to and dirty. I did that yesterday.

SnappyPix
07-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Soo true! I think I took this to the extreme, when it was pointed out to me one day that my car was turning green!
What's a girl to do?! I only drove the car a couple of times a month, for essential stuff, whereas my bikes are my main mode of transport - and, needless to say, gleaming! :rolleyes: