PDA

View Full Version : Cinderella Epilogue

Bike Goddess
04-03-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm starting this new thread as the last one is 7 PAGES

Dinner fun! Loved meeting everyone. Thank you Snap for my shoe which I attached to my rear bike bag! I also gave my friend Donna hers after the ride- she was thrilled! It was her first ride past 30 miles- she did wonderfully well!

As for me, I decided to see how fast I could do the ride. What with all the training I've been doing this year (total mileage even with the rainy days so far in 2006 is 1632.70) I figured it would be fun to see if my road riding and working out at the gym were making a difference. Okay- I did the ride in 4Hrs 10Min. :D :D . A women (we passed her house on the ride) Sandy- I think- caught up with me on Patterson Pass road. We pretty much rode the rest of the way together although she bonked on lemon drop hill - she had passed me and then I passed her to my surpise. She caught up just before the last rest stop.

I loved the ride also. To me this ride is like having a conversation with your women friends for about 5 hours- commenting on bikes, costumes, and encouraging each other on. It was also nice to have the men do all of the service work. They were great. I even ran into a guy who knows members in our club (I had my club windbreaker on). Waiting in line was a pain, but I was there early so I didn't mind too much. Left the start at 7:45.

If I have any coaching for you all- hill work & a good gym weight program is the answer. That's what I do 5-6 days aweek and it pays off in endurance
and in climbing.

Went out with the"boys" today- so for April so far I have 109 miles. I guess I better get with it on the TE mileage chart. My mileage should help!

Will figure out how to change my name and get it in soon. Will also reply to Veronica's request for March mileage on the other thread!

Let's ride again! :)

cindysue
04-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks for all the ride-logs ladies! Here's mine:

Dinner the night before: I got to Fuzio's and most of the ladies were in the bar. Shortly after I arrived, we were seated. There were 10 of us at one table and three more (ride4urlife and her two friends) at the table next to us. I was a little sad not to see Shannon and Veronica there, but maybe next time! We were an eclectic group; all ages, backgrounds, and cycling levels. It was hard to get to know everyone because the table was so long. I mostly spoke with BikeMomma, Adventure Girl and Hillslug who were down at my end of the table. I spoke with Slinkedog earlier in the evening about my wierd news and felt better after speaking with her. The table wasn't quite intimate enough for me to get into it at dinner, so I didn't bring it up. The short story is I think my creepy neighbor has been coming into my apartment. Needless to say I had NO SLEEP FRIDAY NIGHT before Cinderella because I was so stressed out about the whole thing. After tossing and turning all night, I finally got out of bed at 4:30am and started cleaning the house. It's not a nice feeling being violated and I needed to purge - so cleaning was my way of dealing with that. By the way, I had the locks changed saturday night after the Cinderella ride and I feel MUCH better. Anyway, on to the ride:

The ride: I finished cleaning about 6:00 am and started packing my gear for the ride. I had some oatmeal for breakfast and I left the house between 6:15 and 6:30. I was getting so excited seeing all the cars with bikes on the back, on-top, and in the back seat while on the freeway and then more so after I made the exit off the freeway.

I got to the camps about 6:45 in the morning and was parked and headed into registration at 7am. Like Joebob, I was in a long line (the Ma-Mc). Our line was 25-30 people deep and the Me-Mz line had about 5 people in it. I kept thinking: Who's in charge? There is no justice! :(

Got out of line about 7:45ish. Hit the route just before 8am. Got to the first rest stop (mile 21.9) between 9 and 9:30 (I don't remember). I called Shannon to give her a trip report -- she was just getting ready to head out for her lone-venture. I then called my friend Sarah who had left the course about 10 minutes before me, but she wasn't there yet. I waited for her and then hung out with her which added about 1/2 hour onto my time. In retrospect, I should have just kept going after I "fueled up" but it was also nice to see someone I knew at the stop (see lesson learned #1 below). Photocrazy took my picture at 10:10 - an easy time to remember - but they haven't posted the pics yet.

The next stop (lunch - mile 37.8) came quick. I think it was about 11am. I saw several TE girls from the night before (Jobob, AG, Trek, Snap, ???). Jobob and I left lunch about the same time and I kept pace with her for part of the way and then we separated somewhere on Lemon Drop Hill. I felt kinda sick after lunch - I think I ate too much and guzzled a bunch of water because I wasn't hydrating during the ride (see lesson learned #2 and #3 below). Once I felt better, I picked up the pace and I passed a lot of girls on the hill (which felt good) and got to the last stop (not sure what time). This was a good stop foodwise: they had grapes and cantalope- yum! I limited my intake this time.

I got back to the parks at 1:30pm. Had some soup, two muffins, and some other junk (I don't learn my lesson, do I?) and then headed out to the vendor tables. I bought two pairs of socks ($5 each). I was out of cash and ready to go, so finally packed up all my crap (that was a juggle) and headed for the parking lot about 2:30pm. I saw my friend Sarah coming in as I was leaving. I would have liked to stay and catch up with her, but I wanted to get home and check on my apartment (see wierd news above).

In retrospect:
My Cinderella time (5 1/2 hours including stops) was not good considering I'm cycling the 100mi Tierra Bella ride this Saturday. The Tierra Bella course closes at 5pm. I have to drive about 1.5+ hours to Gilroy - which means I need to leave my house about 5am. I hope registration is a little more organized at Tierra Bella because I really need to get started long before 8am. I'm figuring about 8 hours of riding (damn hills!) and no more than 1 hour total at the 4 stops along the way. That's 9 hours between 8am and 5pm, but I'd like a little buffer just in case.

Lessons learned from Cinderella to be incorporated at Tierra Bella (100 mi) this Saturday:

1) Limit time at rest stops unless you are really tired
2) don't eat too much at any one stop. Bring snacks and much lightly throughout the ride to avoid that "I feel like puking" feeling :eek:
3) hydrate throughout the ride - not all at once at the restsop (see #2 above) :p

Cheers!

cindysue
04-04-2005, 09:34 AM
- I did the ride in 4Hrs 10Min.

including stops? You go girl!

snapdragen
04-04-2005, 09:42 AM
cindysue - Tierra Bella registration is MUCH better, I used to work it, we'd get you all in and out quickly. Also, did you know you can pick up your stuff friday night and skip morning registration?

cindysue
04-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Also, did you know you can pick up your stuff friday night and skip morning registration?

yep, but I live in Walnut Creek (an hour from San Jose). Shannon has offered to try and pre-register for me. Is this possible? I guess the logistics of that would be meeting up with her to pick up my registration stuff.

P.S. When do we get our jersey?

Thanks!

snapdragen
04-04-2005, 10:04 AM
yep, but I live in Walnut Creek (an hour from San Jose). Shannon has offered to try and pre-register for me. Is this possible?

I'm not sure, but it's worth a try.

P.S. When do we get our jersey?

I believe they'll hand them out friday at pre-reg, or you can pick it up saturday before or after the ride.

Trek420
04-04-2005, 10:50 AM
nancy lund sed "I decided to see how fast I could do the ride. What with all the training I've been doing this year (total mileage even with the rainy days so far in 2006 is 1632.70)"

wow, I wanna be you when I grow up :rolleyes:

slinkedog
04-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Cindy: I have an email out to the TB email address to see if I can pick up your stuff on Friday night. Just awaing a reply!

CorsairMac
04-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Snap hun??...what is your new avatar??.....it Looks like a bunny with a pancake on it's head???

SadieKate
04-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Snap hun??...what is your new avatar??.....it Looks like a bunny with a pancake on it's head???

And an armadillo posterior.

CorsairMac
04-04-2005, 01:10 PM
And an armadillo posterior.
ok...here I go - crying at work again!! at least this time the boss is gone so I don't have to try and laugh silently!!!

Bike Goddess
04-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Ms Cindy Sue- Sorry to hear about your Friday night...Does this mean you might have to move to feel safe????

Now, for some coaching- I think you will be able to do TB in 7 hours if you average 15 mph. What was your average on Cinderella? I think it was faster than that! What goes up, comes down. We LOVE those hills :D

1. Drink two bottles of liquid between each rest stop.
2. Have one of those bottles be Gatorade or some kind of replenishment drink. (I dilute that stuff). I also carry table salt in case I need it.
3. Don't stop at rest stops for long- use that time to get off the bike, do some stretching (really helps), bathroom and food. I generally do 1/2 sandwiches of pb/jelly, or cheese with tomatoes, lettuce and small bit of mayo. Fig newtons are good as are peanuts. Salty foods good! Light on food!
4. Make sure you are going to the bathroom at every rest stop even if it isn't much.
5. Drink at the rest stops. Don't have to do a lot, just keep liquids going.
6. Spin as much as you can especially going up those hills. That will keep you from being so tired at the end!
7. Break up the century into rest stops- that way it isn't so hard on the brain!

Most important- HAVE FUN!!! :D :D

Nancy
P.S. My ride time for Cindyella was 4 hr 10 min. :)

snapdragen
04-04-2005, 01:44 PM

Exactly right - a bunny with a pancake on his head. He's from Japan, his name was Oolong. Evidently his owner would take pictures of Oolong with all sorts of things on his head. The bun liked posing :confused: . He called them "headperformances". Unfortunately, Oolong is no long in the land of the living bunnies.

http://www.syberpunk.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=oolong

SadieKate
04-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Just thought I'd share the response I just received from the Cinderella folks about their mailing list. Since I didn't ride this year, I was concerned that I'd be dropped from the mailing list for 2006 and I was right to do so.

I love his quote at the end!

Hi Sarah:
You are on the mailing list for The Cinderella Classic March 25th 2006.
Only the currant year riders are carried over to the next years list.
Watch our web site this month for the 2006 Cinderella 30th Anniversary Jersey.
Jim
"My mother and I have a difference of opinion.
She thinks I should go see a shrink;
I think I should buy a new bike."

cindysue
04-04-2005, 02:39 PM
..Does this mean you might have to move to feel safe????

P.S. My ride time for Cindyella was 4 hr 10 min. :)

Thanks Nancy! Great tips. I'm guessing my average was about 15mph (given about 1 hour total at rest stops) but the course was flat and I don't expect the same at TB.

Here's my math logic for TB: It takes me 2.5 hours to get up to the top of Mt. Diablo from my house which is about 16 miles away. That's about 6.5mph (about 20mph for the first 4 flat miles and about 5mph once I hit the mtn.). It takes me about 2 hours to ride from my house to Berkeley which is about 25 miles away and includes some climbs. That's about 12.5 mph.

I think 12.5 mph is a more reasonable assumption for TB, so that is 8 hours (not including stops).

..... as for the move - I've been thinking about it. Looking on craig's list. Coincidentally enough, my lease is up at the end of this month. A sign perhaps? But I like my responsive landlord (condo) and I like being a 5 minute walk from BART. My landlord is raising my rent (it's already ridiculously high) - and expects me to sign another one year lease. I've been faithfully paying rent for two years, so I'm going to explain the situation and ask for a month-to-month (which allows me a quick exit if things get creepier). If she doesn't honor my request (along with a carpet cleaning), I'm moving.

4 hours ride time and you've got 30 years on me. I'm impressed!

Melody
04-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Exactly right - a bunny with a pancake on his head. He's from Japan, his name was Oolong. Evidently his owner would take pictures of Oolong with all sorts of things on his head. The bun liked posing :confused: . He called them "headperformances". Unfortunately, Oolong is no long in the land of the living bunnies.

http://www.syberpunk.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=oolong

I have a version of that picture, but it has a caption. "I have no idea what you're talking about... So here's a picture of a bunny with a pancake on his head."

I love it. :) I also have a little picture of a squirrel drinking beer out of a straw. :p

Mel

snapdragen
04-05-2005, 04:51 PM
I have the captioned picture too, I hung it in the window of my computer room at work. :D

spazzdog
07-03-2005, 03:05 PM
OK... I know it's been a while, but a friend out in CA just sent me soem photos. Trek420 suggested I put this one up due to my "interesting" fluid replacement selection. Also, notice my ears... this is why one should always wear glasses that fit.

So here's me and Trek420.

spazz aka dumbo the flying elephant

Trek420
07-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Also I do smile, really. I'm just miffed that I forgot the water bottles. Hence Dr. Pepper for hydration.

spazzdog
07-03-2005, 03:37 PM
You goof! You didn't forget my waterbottles! I forgot my waterbottles... left 'em right in your fridge where I put 'em the night before.

spazz

Trek420
07-03-2005, 03:57 PM
It's actually full of Guiness but we didn't want Spazz pulled over. ;)

Bike Goddess
07-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Gee Trek, you look so SERIOUS :D :D :D . Love your shirt Spazz. Where did you get it? Ears, oh well, that goes with the character :p :p :p .

Anyway, thanks for posting. Worth the wait!

spazzdog
07-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Jersey purchased on Ebay - Cobra Team

Glad you like it!

Trek420
07-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Bike Goddess "Gee Trek, you look so SERIOUS :D :D :D ."

yep, I have no sense of humor 8-]

BG, are we going to hear about STP? How'd it go or did I miss your report?

emily_in_nc
07-16-2005, 01:22 PM
And Trek, I love your jersey - it would be so nice with my raspberry Aegis Swift! Is it available somewhere? I see that it is Voler. Thanks!

Emily

Trek420
07-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Emily, that's my club jersey, Velogirls women's cycling club. check out this years design at http://www.velogirls.com/jersey_2005.html

If you don't have one by Veloswap which is September this year let me know because they ususaly sell last years jerseys. Always the same color. Let me know if you like that better.

Jerseys and vests all have the website along the collar, and running down the side, and on the back says USA cycling women's club of the year 2003-2004.