PDA

View Full Version : My solo ride report

slinkedog
04-02-2005, 09:31 PM
First of all, thank so much to V, Cindy, CorsairMac and anyone else who encouraged me to do my first solo ride today. It was a great success, even though I'm totally fried!

I did start out with my friend, Beth, who is training for her first Ironman in June. We only rode about the first 2.5 miles together, though. She had a much more aggressive mileage goal and she's much, much faster than me, so she dropped me (by prior agreement) as soon as we got out of the main traffic area. I did a 36 mile loop out to Uvas Reservoir and back from my house. That's my longest ride to date, too. The rollers felt pretty good going out and I felt great at my turn-around point. I still have to stop my bike to get a drink, so I took quite a few little breaks and drank my Cytomax. Beth gave me a GU to try which I took at the turnaround. I don't know if it did anything for me, but it was palatable.

Going back was a lot harder. Had a moderate, and quite annoying headwind the whole way back. The backsides of the hills weren't too bad, but the wind didn't help. Anyway, I made it back, but my legs were pretty tired and my shoulders and neck were pretty worked over. My butt is sore, but not too bad.

So, there you have it! You guys were right! It was a cool experience and I had a lot of time to think, pray, soul-search and contemplate the beauty of our planet. I raced a butterfly for quite a while and saw huge field so full of purple/blue flowers that it looked like a lake. I thought a lot about all of you and how much you've encouraged and inspired me. And it was a huge boost to my confidence in riding. I can do it!! :) Thanks for reminding me.

BikeMomma
04-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Hmmm, you raced a butterfly. I just took one in the face! Got me right between the eyes! 'Spose it could have been a bee or wasp. That would not have been fun. :eek:

CONGRATULATIONS on your solo ride. It's such a joy, huh? Headwind or no headwind, 36 miles is quite an accomplishment! You should be feeling really good right about now. Good job! :D

jobob
04-03-2005, 06:55 AM
It was a cool experience and I had a lot of time to think, pray, soul-search and contemplate the beauty of our planet. Ah, grasshopper, you have discovered the joy of riding on your own.

For me, it's like meditation. :)

- Jo.

Veronica
04-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Way to go!

V.

CorsairMac
04-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the update Slinke! I came on here tonight to check up on you - you've been in my thoughts most of yesterday and today. I'm so happy for you - what a wonderful experience. Welcome to the world of solitude - may it forever be your friend!

cindysue
04-04-2005, 06:56 AM
[QUOTE=slinkedog] I raced a butterfly for quite a while and saw huge field so full of purple/blue flowers that it looked like a lake. \QUOTE]

Congratulations!

It's when I ride alone that I take the time to "smell the roses." Thanks for sharing and thanks for being a great friend. Keep riding! --- I'll see ya at Tierra Bella :)

Cheers!

slinkedog
04-04-2005, 08:32 AM
Thanks for your support, all of you! I'm so excited for the Tierra Bella this weekend! I think it's going to be about the same level of difficulty as my ride on Saturday (or maybe just a little easier), so I feel very prepared!! Cindy, I'm going to find out today if I can pre-register for you.

Blaine is taking my bike in for a tune-up today. My derailleur has been in and out of the "happy zone" ever since I got my bike. Blaine has adjusted it a few times, but I get a free tune-up from the shop where I bought it, so we'll take advantage of that!! Now if I could just afford that new pair of shorts and jersey I want to get!! :)

SadieKate
04-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Isn't it a great feeling of freedom and independence? Sometimes, it is so hard to break through those lessons we're taught as children. It took me a long time to ride by myself. Good for you for taking the leap.

I'm reading an excellent book on women's history (America's Women (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060185104/qid=1112632105/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-0422667-8151123)) which has inspired me to order How I Learned to Ride the Bicycle: Reflections of an Influential 19th Century Woman (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0933271050/qid=1112631988/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-0422667-8151123?v=glance&s=books) by
Frances Willard, a women's rights activist. I loved the article in bicycling this month about the woman who rode around the world at the turn of the century. Just more motivation for me to plan my own destiny.