PDA

View Full Version : Only in L.A. ...

alpinerabbit
06-10-2008, 12:26 AM
:eek:... Bikesnob uncovers yet another phenomenon.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2008/06/this-just-in-one-less-car-in-la.html

Note the "one less car" sticker on the bike racked on a S.U. V. !!!

Becky
06-10-2008, 02:02 AM
I agree that it's an ironic picture, but did you read the comments? The guy who owns those vehicles was returning from a fundraising century (on a fixie, no less!) and, from his posts on RBR, commutes more in a month than I commute in a year.

"HW said...
Thats my car. And my bike. pwned indeed. I had just got back from riding a fundraiser century for the LA Bike Coalition and stopped for coffee. So sue me. Its LA, we drive. Its what we do. Its too late for me to try and salvage my street cred here so I'll take the e-beating. Hey Devick - say Hi to Howard for me next time you're in his shop! Love ya! Jeff"

Fredwina
06-10-2008, 05:27 AM
to Put things in perspective, you easily ride a 200K one way here and be in urban situations all the time (Banning to Santa Monica, Victorville to San Clemente, San Diego up to LAX... and the public transit works fine if you want to go to work, other wise:o

redrhodie
06-10-2008, 07:02 AM
My biggest fear is ending up blasted by Snobby, especially with a pic! I'd hate to be photographed doing something stupid (especially from the back). Remember the moon he captured on the Brooklyn Bridge :D. That was not me, just so you know.

snapdragen
06-10-2008, 08:46 AM
HW is one of my pals on RBR - like Becky says, he commutes and rides his bike further than most anyone else I know. Glad Bikesnob bores me, or I would've gone ballistic on his a$$.

Fujichants
06-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Haha I love that picture.

I live in LA and drive around in an SUV. It is just impossible to bike everywhere here, as much as i'd like to. It just isn't safe. Plus, it is easier to lug around 2 bikes and all the stuff that comes with it in an SUV, than in my other car, a VW Golf.

I do see more people out on their bikes with the increasing gas prices, but i'd much rather pay more in gas than on medical bills in case I should get hit by the crazy drivers here.

And there are plenty of bike paths, but they are all at least a 40 minute drive away from where I live. Unless you count the beaches, those are close by.

Geonz
06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Yea, I too just don't find bikesnob anything but... genuinely snobby and disdainful, and there's enough of that in the world. This is an example of not bothering to ascertain whether his thinking is valid - just pointing the spotlight. Who cares about the humans involved or the truth? I'm *very* glad the guy is thick-skinned.

I have considered that if/when I replace my car, I may not have to be as careful about the ol' gas mileage (tho' that was 'way back when petrol was $3. somthing), because I'd only use it for special events, so I might just get me a big ol' conversion van. So far, though, renting has been the way to go, because I can suit the vehicle to the trip.

Geonz
06-10-2008, 09:20 AM
And hey, he didn't run over cyclists in it.

7rider
06-10-2008, 12:57 PM
I have a "Share the Road" sticker on the bike rack that is more-or-less permanently attached to the back of my SUV.
What does that make me???

Aggie_Ama
06-11-2008, 04:27 AM
What I get from snobby is that it is not the sticker as much as the SUV with a fixie on it.

My husband drives a Dodge Ram Quad Cab with a Hemi a gas guzzling hulk. Many times we have bikes on the bed heads, I guess we are okay since they are not fixies?

Of course in Texas most of the cars at bike rallies are SUVs or Trucks. This picture looks like the norm to me.

AlwayzOnDaMove
07-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I live in Los Angeles, and notice alot of people riding their bikes. The buses here have bike racks on the front if people have to commute a long distance but still want to ride their bikes. I haven't seen a big SUV with a bike mounted on the back yet.

Fujichants
07-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I live in Los Angeles, and notice alot of people riding their bikes. The buses here have bike racks on the front if people have to commute a long distance but still want to ride their bikes. I haven't seen a big SUV with a bike mounted on the back yet.

Really? I see mine everyday. And I see at least 3-4 on the freeway every day.

Zen
07-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I have a "Share the Road" sticker on the bike rack that is more-or-less permanently attached to the back of my SUV.
What does that make me???

Confused?