PDA

View Full Version : Cinderella riders - advice

cindysue
04-01-2005, 08:09 AM
I thought it might be nice to start a thread with any advice for tomorrow's ride.

It looks like it will be a cool and windy day tomorrow - so bring your layers......

and don't forget your green card - you need it to get in the gate!

jobob
04-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Along w. the green card you'll also need a photo ID to get thru the security gate.

slinkedog
04-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Where's the best place to poach from? ;) JUST KIDDING!

snapdragen
04-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Don't let anyone tell you to skip the rest stop at the old school house, "because you have to climb a hill to leave" - the critters alone are worth it - and the hill is a bump.

cindysue
04-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Where's the best place to poach from? ;) JUST KIDDING!

Yes! Poach away! Even if you're not up for the full 100k, you can ride part of it. And who knows - you may be inspired to push yourself a little further..........

cindysue
04-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Don't let anyone tell you to skip the rest stop at the old school house, "because you have to climb a hill to leave" - the critters alone are worth it - and the hill is a bump.

oooh - i remember that bump...........

slinkedog
04-01-2005, 09:40 AM
How does the bump compare to Buffalo Hill? (Which Cindy and I did last week, I might add! She zipped right up it!)

SadieKate
04-01-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure what you call "the old school house" but none of the hills are more than bumps. I think the potential winds through the middle stretch are more to worry about.

My advice? Carry money. Last year, I slashed a tire so badly I used mylar to boot it and limp into the 1st rest stop. The Livermore Cyclery was there and sold me a new tire. For some unknown reason that morning, I had shoved all my cash into my pocket (very unlike me) and I was sure grateful. Meant I could finish the ride rather than calling Bubba to come get me.

snapdragen
04-01-2005, 10:18 AM
No comparison - it's just one of those really short hills, like a sloped driveway.

How does the bump compare to Buffalo Hill? (Which Cindy and I did last week, I might add! She zipped right up it!)

cindysue
04-01-2005, 11:06 AM
No comparison - it's just one of those really short hills, like a sloped driveway.

I concur - short and do-able

Bike Goddess
04-01-2005, 12:01 PM
I looked on Accuweather and Weather Channel- got two different readings. Accuweather says gusts to 22 MPH, Weather Channel doesn't mention gusts.

Looks like from 7:00-2:00PM westerly winds- 3-10 MPH(depending on who you ask). After 3:00 winds become west/southwesterly and start picking up. I suspect we are okay wind wise if we get started early and don't tarry on the way home! I'm hoping to do this (rest stops included) in about 5 1/2hours- which would be average speed of 14MPH and getting back around 12:30-1:00PM. Not too interested in dealing with that WSW wind!

cindysue
04-01-2005, 04:30 PM
I was thinking about poaching, but since I won't be able to make the whole thing (most likely), I'd better not because I wouldn't be able to SAG!!!!!

Yes! Poach away! Even if you're not up for the full 100k, you can ride part of it. And who knows - you may be inspired to push yourself a little further..........

OK, now I'm feeling like a real *** (cell phones, poaching). Honestly, when I said "poach away" I clearly had slinkedog's previous post in mind - I knew she wouldn't take advantage of food/drinks or SAG. I just thought she could be in the vicinity without any harm.

I apologize for any misunderstanding and any offense......... :( :o

slinkedog
04-01-2005, 04:36 PM
See, what a good soul!! :)

Yes, when I mentioned poaching, I only meant that I would ride along side for as long as I could and then get my butt out of the way!!