PDA

View Full Version : RR: Tri for Real, Sacramento - long

roadie gal
06-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Yesterday I did the Tri for Real olympic length triathlon in Herald, Ca, south of Sac.

The plan was, since I had to work a day shift Saturday, to work, then come home and walk and feed the dogs and then head down to Sac. It's about a 2 hour drive. I was going to check into the hotel and then get a nice dinner. Well... I woke up with my period Saturday morning. feh That meant I'd be in full flow for the race.:mad: Then I came home to a mess. One of the dogs had diarrhea. So I spent 30 minutes steaming the carpet before I could take them out. After I fed them I stayed with them for a while to make sure they'd be OK. Needless to say, I didn't get out as planned. Dinner was Taco Bell on the road since I was starved.

The morning of the race went fine. TBF does a nice job of organizing it's races. I got registered and staked out my transition area without any problems. I'd done this race 2 years ago. It was HOT and I got dehydrated. So this year I brought extra water. On the bike I had an aero bottle, a bottle of sports drink, and another bottle of water. I debated a couple of times taking that second bottle of water, but as it turned out, it was a good idea. I also had my Amphipod belt with 4 bottles of sports drink and water for the run.

The swim was disappointing. I thought I was prepared. For some reason, though, I couldn't get my breathing going right. I usually bilateral breathe. But I ended up having to breathe every second stroke. Once I settled into that, it went OK. I think I was 3rd from the last out of the water. (But I am in the last wave.)

T1 went fine. There are 3 speed bumps as you come out of the park. My aero bottle ejected on the first one. Luckily, a boy watching the race ran out and snagged it for me. It wouldn't have been easy to put it back on, so I asked him to hold it for me until after the race. I was very glad I had that second water bottle. The rest of the ride went well, although my breathing still felt funny. It's a rolling course on a good road. They do a very nice job of keeping cars under control.

At T2 some doofus had racked their bike in my spot. So I moved his/her bike over enough to rack mine, put on my water belt and race belt and shuffled out. By now it was pretty warm, although not nearly as hot as 2 years ago. My breathing felt better, but not up to par. So I just went at the speed I could. I figured I'd run until I couldn't and then I'd walk. The run is on fire roads and hard packed trails, with a small bit on the road. There are water stations about every mile, with very enthusiastic volunteers manning them. I drank what I'd brought and splashed water on myself from the water stations. That helped a lot. I was able to run the whole way much to my surprise.

I don't know my official time. It isn't up yet. But I think I finished just under 3 hours. It's slower than I wanted, but I think my period was messing with my breathing and my energy. So, overall I'm happy.

Pika
06-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Good Job Roadie Gal!!
Sounds like you did well despite having some challenges.
It was nice that someone picked up your aerobottle for you- did you manage to get it back? Mine has bounced out on occassion too- I now try to really snug it up with all those elastics - though that doesn't stop the yellow thingy from flying out:)
Volunteers really make the race don't they! And great that they had so many aid stations esp if it is hot out!
Glad you did well and that you are happy with the result!

Veronica
06-09-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm so glad you posted. I was thinking about you yesterday and hoping you had a good race.

V.

Wahine
06-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Way to go on a race that was not ideal!! It's always tough to race when you're in full flo as you said and then all the other little hassels... you did a great job.

The next race is guaranteed to go better.

Running Mommy
06-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Good job!
Is this race still held out at the park by the old nuclear reactor?
I did the race back when I lived there and always loved it. Tho we did joke that we were racing at Chernobyl

roadie gal
06-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all of the good wishes. I hope the results are posted soon.

I did go get my bottle. I gave the little boy a big Thanks for it. I think his mom liked that.

This is the race by the old nuclear plant. 2 years ago the official photographer posted himself so that the stacks were in the background on the bike pic. This year there was a woman photographer. She was pointing the other way. Hopefully the lake will be the background this time.

I really like the way TBF does their races. Their volunteers are always friendly and enthusiastic. I always go out of my way to thank them. This year I sent a note to the race director thanking him for a good race. The only thing that they could improve on is to use timing chips. They still do things manually. If they had chips you could get your transition times as well as the swim/bike/run splits.

Veronica, if you do one of the later races in the series definitely carry extra water. There's no shade on the bike or the run. The races start at 8am with 5 minutes waves. The women are in the last 2 waves. By the time you hit the run it's very hot.

Veronica
06-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll be doing the July one.

V.

Running Mommy
06-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Yep V- Having done the race, I second that... HHHHHOOOOOTTTTTT!!! :p

Veronica
06-09-2008, 04:47 PM
It's 5:45 PM and still 94 degrees here in Antioch. :eek:

It's a good thing I do well in the heat. It got up to at least 93 on Saturday when I was doing my 200K.

How do you know where to put your stuff in the transition area? Do you just claim a spot?

V.

Tri Girl
06-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Congrats on a great race!!! Under 3 hours for an oly is super impressive by my standards (as I can never break 3 hours). Great job!!! :)
Tough day for you, but you did well considering all the mini obstacles that get in the way of smooth sailing. Hope your pups are OK.
Rest up!

roadie gal
06-09-2008, 05:41 PM
It's 5:45 PM and still 94 degrees here in Antioch. :eek:

It's a good thing I do well in the heat. It got up to at least 93 on Saturday when I was doing my 200K.

How do you know where to put your stuff in the transition area? Do you just claim a spot?

V.

The first 3 rows are reserved for tri clubs. If there's a Tri for Kids going on they'll reserve a section for them, too. They'll usually put a sign on them. You can claim any other open space on a rack. I try to get as close to the bike start area as possible so I don't have to run as far in my bike shoes.

rocknrollgirl
06-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Great job and great race report. Why is it that stuff always "hits the fan" the day before a big event. I think 3 hours is great ! Let us know as soon as your results are posted.

roadie gal
06-10-2008, 05:42 AM
They have the overall up... I did it in 2:55:31. (In 2006 I did it in 2:54:18) I was 160/233. I hope they have the splits up later today.

colby
06-11-2008, 05:57 PM
They have the overall up... I did it in 2:55:31. (In 2006 I did it in 2:54:18) I was 160/233. I hope they have the splits up later today.

You definitely made the most out of a crappy situation, and that makes you awesome... your time just makes you more awesome.

Congratulations. :D