PDA

View Full Version : Training tips?

Sheesh
06-07-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm looking forward to this coming cross season! I've been invited to ride for my LBS-sponsored team, but let's be honest, I pretty much sucked last year and I really feel some pressure to do better if I'm wearing a team kit. Last season (my first), I was lucky to finish the races, and finished last in all but one race.

What should I do to improve for this season besides practicing my mounts and dismounts? I need to improve my overall speed and endurance, but don't really know where to start. I commute to work by bike 2-4 times per week (13 miles each way) but I'm pretty slow. Do any of you cross-fanatics have suggestions for training that I can fit into my commuting time?

Thanks!!

LainiePants
06-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Hey Sheesh, I'm in the same boat as you. I wasn't very good last season, but I had such a great time. So i'm definitely gonna do it again, and this time I'd like to do better (I mean I WILL do better). I'm totally excited for it already and I keep trying to recruit friends to get into it too. Sometimes i sit and daydream about the pain ;)

Anyways I also have a 12 mile commute, one-way, that I do a couple times a week. My general plan is to try to work up to commuting 4-5 days a week, and then make 2 of them interval workouts. I've already sort of started this since i'm thinking about trying some road races and/or time trials this summer and i need to get faster :D At first i was doing "sprint" intervals where i would just go all out for 30 sec or so...and then repeat as needed. But my BF says that a better type of interval (at least for my purposes) is to go hard (but not sprint) for 2-4 minutes, then rest a minute or so and then do it again (several reps). These definitely seem harder to me than the all out short sprints, but i suppose that means i'll be getting stronger :)

So that's my plan for the next few months. though pretty soon i'm gonna try to do some rides on the cross bike to work on technique and dismounts and such. I think dismounts were definitely my weakest link.

btw that's exciting that you're going to be racing with the lbs team! I'm still looking for a team to join, but i'm too darn indecisive.

Sheesh
06-09-2008, 05:57 AM
Thanks, LainiePants! I'll have to give that a try once our bout of thunderstorms and severe weather lets up so I can get back on my bike. :)

obie
06-09-2008, 07:35 AM
I have taken up mountain biking - not specifically because of cross, but I think it will really help! I felt a bit overmatched by some of the technical bits in some courses; I think (hope!) they'll seem easy in comparison!

Russell@UEF
09-05-2008, 05:26 PM
If you are able to ride 4 days per week for your commute, you can definitely work in some quality training. The wonderful thing about your body is that it doesn't care if you are on your race bike or commuter bike, your lungs and quads can't tell! You just need to build a training program into your commute. Start adding some intervals and hill repeats. Leave room to build so each week gets a little harder and a little harder a you are building. Leave plenty of time for recovery days and recovery weeks. You other limiter might be bike handling skills, so make sure to get out at least one day a week and do nothing but work on 'cross skills: mounts, dismounts, off-camber turns, run-ups, etc. If you have clinics in your area like we have in Portland, try to attend. Good luck out there!

RC