PDA

View Full Version : Funny sunburns

Veronica
03-31-2005, 06:04 AM
I was out for about 5 hours yesterday. Kept my arm warmers on for most of the day. I have a little strip of burn on both my wrists, the space between the arm warmers and my gloves. It's smaller on the left since I wear my HRM. My hands have the little round cutouts from my gloves. The back of my neck has a small droplet shaped burn. Guess I need to start remembering to sunscreen.

V.

Biking Chick
03-31-2005, 06:10 AM
Guess I need to start remembering to sunscreen.

After receiving a sunburn a few years ago while out snowshoeing (in February) I switched to a facial moisturizer with added sunscreen and make sure to replace all tubes of sunscreen; not only the one that we have by our 'home' biking accessories but the tubes that we have in our biking bags.

Turning the clocks back in our house means changing batteries in our smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replacing sunscreen bottles!

snapdragen
03-31-2005, 07:21 AM
I was sporting an ankle bracelet tan after I did the AIDs ride in 2000. I didn't realize I had a gap between my sock and the bottom of my tights, and ended up with a 1/2 inch band around my ankle. Very becoming with a dress..... :rolleyes:

jobob
03-31-2005, 07:40 AM
snapdragen, love the new avatar, you're a stitch !!! :D

jo "will I survive this weekend? place your bets" bob

fixedgeargirl
03-31-2005, 07:49 AM
And just what is the Bike Tan Correction Plan? You go to the local tanning salon and lie on the bed (or stand in the booth) wearing only your leg warmers and arm warmers! Great for that Caribbean vacation!

Can I get a trademark on this? :p

jobob
03-31-2005, 07:53 AM
I tan & burn very easily (and have a continuous racoon-face tan :cool: ) so I've become religious about sunscreen.

I've tried several brands, but most of them make my skin feel sticky at best, and encased in Saran Wrap at worst. :p

But there's one I've found that works very well and doesn't leave my skin feeling gunky - it's Ocean Potion Sport Xtreme Sunblock, SPF 50

Lee picked a bottle up from Rivendell some time ago, and once I decided this was the sunscreen for me, naturally Riv was out of it. I couldn't find it at any of my local stores but then I checked the Ocean Potion website & found I could order it directly from them, so I ordered a half-dozen bottles w. no problem at all.

It's good stuff - jobob sez check it out.

http://www.opotion.com

(It's not particularly effective as an inadvertent Chamois Butt'r substitute, but that was another story...)

CorsairMac
03-31-2005, 08:11 AM
Jo "oh yes you Can Find it" Bob:
I just went to the website and it says you can buy it at Wal-Mart. I would be curious to try it...believe it or not I'm allergic to some of the sunscreens! Holy Toledo what a pain. I had to stop using SPF lip balm coz it was actually chapping my lips and I tried Many diff brands including all natural with SPF just to make sure it wasn't some other ingredient (sp). Some of the sunscreens leave my skin very hot to the touch and red and dries my skin out really bad! So anything new is worth trying as I hike in the summers and now I'm going to tackle 1/2 and full centuries.

SadieKate
03-31-2005, 08:11 AM
Oh, Jobob, your posts always make me laugh!

nuthatch
03-31-2005, 11:45 AM
(It's not particularly effective as an inadvertent Chamois Butt'r substitute, but that was another story...)

I know a guy who got melanoma on his booty, so maybe this isn't such a bad idea, jobob.....

snapdragen
03-31-2005, 11:59 AM
I know a guy who got melanoma on his booty, so maybe this isn't such a bad idea, jobob.....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hill Slug
03-31-2005, 02:19 PM
My Trek gloves have that lovely round opening on the top of the hand. So all the nurses I work with freak out when they see this brown circle on the top of my hands...."Are you ok???!!!!" :rolleyes:
Oh and the racoon eyes :eek: too......I do use sunscreen too...spf30 I think...

MomOnBike
04-01-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm always happy to get that little round dot on the back of my hands, it means I'm out and about. Funny, the nurses I work with have never said a thing about my funny tan lines - dots, dashes, and such. Maybe they're trying not to notice?

CorsairMac
04-03-2005, 08:39 PM
- dots, dashes, and such. Maybe they're trying not to notice?

Or maybe they think it's a super-secret, double probation, "I could tell ya but I'd have to kiil ya" form of Morse Code? :D