PDA

View Full Version : Another Cyclist Killed

Blueberry
06-03-2008, 05:27 AM
This one is on a road I ride very regularly - no information on who it is yet, or what happened (the article just says hit by a vehicle). In the last 2 months, we have had a lady killed by a drunk driver, 2 more (that I know of) hit and seriously injured (one was a shop guy, and it was a hit and run), and now this.

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/2980658/

Seriously - I'm starting to freak out. Are people just that PO'd about gas prices that they're running cyclists down. WTF???? And HOW do we even begin to change it.

And then the top picture on MSNBC is the picture of the car hitting the racers. So sad...and so scary.

CA

F8th637
06-03-2008, 06:39 AM
Seriously - I'm starting to freak out. Are people just that PO'd about gas prices that they're running cyclists down. WTF???? And HOW do we even begin to change it.
CA

I am not sure how it is down there but I have noticed a lot more people on bikes in general probably because of the great weather and the cost of gas. As such there are probably more cyclists out now to get into accidents with cars unfortunately. People need to be made aware and that is tough because it takes social conditioning. Prayers and positive thoughts to the family and loved ones of the cyclist killed.

Aggie_Ama
06-03-2008, 06:49 AM

CA

First, I think there are more cyclists on the road who do not ride regularly and more commuters who maybe only ride on weekends on quiet roads. In some ways I worry there are cyclists out without the skill set to be riding in traffic. In my own city the population is also growing out of control making once safe roads hazardous.

On the flip side, I have noticed a lot of hostility recently. I am not sure if it is anger at us or just overall discontent with the world and they are looking for anyone to take it out on.

I got "buzzed" yesterday by a driver insisting on driving in the shoulder instead of waiting his turn. Of course I also watched a cyclist blowing through red lights in the morning, which doesn't give us a lot of help with advocacy when people break the laws. My husband was nearly run off the road last week. I don't know how to change it, I won't quit riding but sadly I have double checked our life insurance to make sure my husband or I could stay in our home if the unthinkable happened. :(

Blueberry
06-03-2008, 06:58 AM
More details would be good before I speculate too much but...

This is a rural road. It's close to a state park (but most people aren't headed there at 8:00 on a weekday). It's more than 4-5 miles from most employers in the area. So...I would guess this was either a recreational cyclist, or a serious commuter (I think it's further than most people would try to ride unless they had *some* experience).

I've noticed that drivers seem to be splitting - some have been unbelievably nice to me recently (particularly when biking with loaded panniers). Others seem to have aggression issues. There have always been drivers with issues but....it does seem worse.

*sigh*

Wish the news would report a few more details.

CA

Blueberry
06-03-2008, 11:36 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6182098 and the updated story: http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/2980658/

Seems the driver swerved to avoid hitting deer (which are everywhere in this area) and killed a person instead. So far, no charges.

Edited to add: Some of the comments on WRAL are insane. Here's a choice quote: "Call it common sense, call it Darwinism... either way, I'm not stupid enough to get out on the highways on a very light, slow, unprotected vehicle." and another "Get the bikes off the roads! Put them on trails, we may have to spend some tax dollars building them but it will be worth it. Then fine anyone caught riding a bike on the public roadways!!"

GRRRRRRRRR.....

CA

Blueberry
06-04-2008, 10:10 AM
So...more of an update.

Didn't quite have the mental energy to post last night. Stopped by the shop after work - this was a frequent customer, riding buddy and good friend of lots of the folks there. It's just happenstance I hadn't ridden with him. Shop "team" (loosely defined) did a tribute ride that got some media coverage. But there was still a driver interviewed who talked about bikes slowing her down.

It's really put a damper on the cycling community, and I have to confess I'm a little hesitant to get on my bike right now. It's just too close to home.

luv'nAustin
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I also live in the area and of course the story continues to be covered by the local tv stations. Tonight I watched as they measured the roads stating that they are only 20 feet across making for very narrow 10 foot lanes. Yes, they are very narrow and wishing that they were wider won't help so we must cooperate with each other (cyclist and driver) to keep safe.

What made me want to post is that someone they interviewed was complaining that as a driver he pays gas taxes and other taxes for the road that the cyclists don't pay. Huh? I pay these taxes too...does he think that we don't own cars or pay our taxes?

Also, they say we shouldn't be riding on these narrow country roads. Where should I ride? I live in the city of Raleigh where most of the streets are also narrow and with no bike lanes and lots of traffic and hazzards.

So, where do I ride? I pack my bike into the back of my car and drive to one of the smaller towns and we head out to the country where the roads are narrow and have no shoulders but the traffic is lighter and they can pass us in the opposite lane.

Blueberry
06-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Another update: The driver was charged with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle....

CA

Aggie_Ama
06-05-2008, 04:46 AM
What made me want to post is that someone they interviewed was complaining that as a driver he pays gas taxes and other taxes for the road that the cyclists don't pay. Huh? I pay these taxes too...does he think that we don't own cars or pay our taxes?

I am sure you heard that argument in Texas as well. I scratch my head and think of the outrageous property taxes I pay which fund county projects including roads. I put gas in my car once a week and gas in my truck every 1.5 weeks. Hmmm.... I thought I paid gas tax, wish I had known as a cyclist I was exempt!