PDA

View Full Version : Bento Box users, what size?

SadieKate
03-28-2005, 02:53 PM
What size would you recommend for just a small digital camera? Or just a few energy bars, phone and lipstick?

Also, does the bag have any padding? Would a digital camera be shaken to pieces sitting on the top tube of a road bike?

I only carry a camera when I'm on the dirt and can hang it from the sternum strap of my hydration pack, but every once in a while it would be nice to have pics of road trips.

V has already posted pictures of my kitchen sink jersey (and the backs of my knees, oh my!). I don't think I can fit in a camera. Call me Jekyll and Hyde but I wear a pack with 1st aid kit, duct tape, 2-way radio, compass, etc., when I'm on the dirt, but I'm a minimalist traditional roadie on the pave. Even my road socks have to be mostly white (geez, that dates me :o ), but maybe, just maybe, I can handle an itty-bitty Bento Box.

spazzdog
03-28-2005, 03:19 PM
I don't know SadieKate... I think, based on the descriptions you've given, that you're a grrl in the market for...

A Helmet Cam

Veronica
03-28-2005, 03:27 PM
I have the small one. It holds 1 Harvest Bar that I haven't eaten in my last three rides and two smaller granola bars - peanut butter flavor - that I have eaten. Also one Chapstick knockoff. I probably wouldn't trust my camera or cell phone in it. I'm not really good about pulling the mesh tight after I've been in it.

V.

SadieKate
03-28-2005, 03:29 PM
I have the small one. V.

How did I miss this? Was it just eclipsed by the seat bag?

Veronica
03-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Bill saw it. :p He said it balanced out the seat bag - which is my small one. :D But I gotta have my Red Bull. I didn't freeze it today. Probably a good thing - it was still pretty cold anyway.

V.

fasteryet
03-28-2005, 04:20 PM
I've got the small one, too. It could hold a small digital camera, plus a clif bar and chap stick, but not too much more. Oh, I sometimes put a folded up map into it, if I don't need to refer to it too often. It is convenient, especially if you want to eat the bar in stages. And no, there is no padding. I wouldn't put a camera in there on rough roads where it could get shaken out.

Hill Slug
03-28-2005, 04:29 PM
I use the larger one to hold, a bar, some trailmix, and my MP3 player. There is a hard plastic square piece that's on the end to hold it's shape, but I had to take it out.....As a height-challenged rider, I'm lower to the bar....and as a result the front part of my shorts got caught on the end of the Bento Box....and all I can say is OUCH!!!! That was not nice.....Once I took that plastic piece out it was fine. Otherwise it's a nice little compartment. The velcro works well, and I haven't had any problems with it.

And another Bento story.....Last year on a camping trip to Donner Lake, while I was unloading the truck, some adventurous (sp?) squirrels decided they wanted to see what was in that Bento Box....The bike was leaning on a tree, and they climbed up the bike, chewed through part of the mesh, pulled out the ziplock bag containing Triscuit crackers, then decided they wanted something sweet so the little sh!ts took out 2, yes 2, carboom gel packs out, and chewed through the package....They were the cinnamon apple ones - my fave....They did however leave the little chamois butter tube alone... :rolleyes:

snapdragen
03-28-2005, 05:26 PM
I have the large one (3.25" X 1.25" X 5"). It holds my Canon A40 perfectly.

CorsairMac
03-28-2005, 08:03 PM
I just found out about this Wonderful invention recently and researched it online but...............all the pixs/ppl seem to be putting on a straight top tube. Does anyone know...will it work OK on a slanted TT? I want to start doing longer distances and I would be unsupported so I would need to carry - well - the kitchen sink! My LBS carries it durng Tri season so I could return it if it didn't work...but thought I"d find out the particulars first. I do have a rack and pack that I Could use, but want to lighten the bike for distance riding if possible.

spazzdog
03-29-2005, 05:56 AM
I'm with you Corsair... I really had no idea what it was. Then I looked it up and viola!!

a tank bag for a bicycle... brilliant! My old tank bag for my ZX6 is just too big. I may have to get one of these puppies.

DeniseGoldberg
03-29-2005, 06:20 AM
Funny, I had to Google it too! I tried something like this (same idea, different name) about 10 years ago - and while it looks like a great idea I didn't like it. Guess I'll continue to use a little fanny pack for my camera and my jersey pocket (or camelbak pocket) for energy bars.

SadieKate
03-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Just stopped by one of my local LBS (love living in a bikey-town). They had both size INi Bento Boxes (I bought the small) and one made by Inertia Designs. Inertia makes a couple of boxes that look exactly like the ones made by TNi plus a 3rd version that is the same size as the large but has a side pocket that looks like it would take a pretty std-sized Nokia cell phone and a snack-sized Payday. Also, the box was lined with a stiff green waterproof liner.

They are all designed for a flat top tube, but, Corsair, you could probably get the large size TNi box to squish a bit and fit. The small one would probably lose too much volume by the time you squish the corner into the angle between your stem and top tube. The Inertia Designs box is too stiff to do any squishing.

I think the small size will be just right to carry my phone, chapstick, snacks and designer-ziplock wallet :p so my camera can go into my jersey.

www.tniusa.com (http://www.tniusa.com/products/)
www.inertiadesigns.com (http://inertiadesigns.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=7&sort=2a&page=2)

madisongrrl
03-29-2005, 10:42 PM
I hate my bento box so much that I just took it off of my bike. My knee is constantly bumping it when I climb hills...

CorsairMac
03-30-2005, 04:13 PM
They are all designed for a flat top tube, but, Corsair, you could probably get the large size TNi box to squish a bit and fit. The small one would probably lose too much volume by the time you squish the corner into the angle between your stem and top tube. The Inertia Designs box is too stiff to do any squishing.
www.tniusa.com (http://www.tniusa.com/products/)
www.inertiadesigns.com (http://inertiadesigns.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=7&sort=2a&page=2)

Not sure what you mean about squish into the angle between my stem and toptube?...there isn't an angle there. Were you thinking of my down tube?....my thought was fitting it just like one would normally on a straight top tube only in this case my top tube slants........am I making sense or did I misunderstand you?

SadieKate
03-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Yes, the box sits on top of your top tube but since your top tube slants down the bottom of the box has to somehow conform to this slope. So,

1) the corner of the box that is closest to your stem has to be squished a bit so all the straps can be snugges up, or
2) you could add some velcro to lengthen the bottom strap closest to your saddle and that corner of the box would be unsupported, or
3) you could have the bottom of the box sit parallel with your top tube and lengthen the top-most strap on the side of the box.

Does any of that make sense?

Ack, it would be easier to explain if I could draw a picture. Essentially, it would take some creativity to make it work but it could probably be done.

CorsairMac
03-30-2005, 05:07 PM
I got it I got it!!....I think! :o The pixs made it look like the box just strapped to your top tube and voila! away you go. I didn't realize it strapped to Other things too!!......As I was riding home tonight I thought about the hitting of the legs person and realized, it probably wouldn't work on a slanted TT coz it Would be in the way of my legs. But I may try one anyway. The main thing I want it for is to carry food so I don't have to stop to eat. (I Hate stopping once I start something) I have a camelback and water cage for fluids but I couldn't fit the cell phone, garage door opener, bananas, luna bars, and extra water in the jersey And wear the camelback. I felt like one of those street musicians that wear everything all over their bodies!! :p I do have extra pockets on the camelback, I think it was Denise who said she carries stuff in hers so I may try that one too. Again tho, I would have to stop to get food out blah blah blah! ...................or maybe not??!! *wondering: can I unstrap the 'back, get the food out and strap it back on while riding?* Probably a bad idea! :eek:

snapdragen
03-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Corsair - what about one of those triangle bags that fit under the top tube? Do you know what I'm talking about? I'll try to find a pix....

CorsairMac
03-31-2005, 07:44 AM
Corsair - what about one of those triangle bags that fit under the top tube? Do you know what I'm talking about? I'll try to find a pix....

Sorry hun I don't. But again it's a slanted TT...with the triangle bag work?

SadieKate
03-31-2005, 08:10 AM
There are triangular-shape bags that hang under the top tube. Looking at your pic though, I think it will be too close to your knees. Unless you are very bowlegged . . . .

CorsairMac
03-31-2005, 08:13 AM
ROFL - I may be before I'm done - trying to ride with boxes and bags hanging from my bike!!

Everyone cross your fingers - I may have found a steel Peugot road bike for about $50 which would make the whole slanted TT thing a non-issue! The guy is bringing it over today or tomorrow for me to try! Cross your fingers!!!

Corsair "trying Not to get too excited" Mac

SadieKate
03-31-2005, 08:17 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Sending positive brain waves . . . .

spazzdog
06-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Those of you with the bento bags... take a look for me and tell me if it could be swung 90deg and strapped under but on the handlebars.

I too have a slanted top tube. I finally got my under-seat bag to work with my back-o-the-seat water cages, but I'd like a tiny somethin up front (hey! watch it... ) for quick access things like $$ or gum or jelly bellys :D .

spazzdog

SadieKate
06-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Uh? What? Do you mean hanging upside down under the stem?

I don't think the covering is secure enough to keep small items like chapstick from falling out.

Maybe I just don't get what you're asking.

spazzdog
06-09-2005, 02:03 PM
More likely I don't quite know how the derned things attach...

I need to find a place (retail) where I can touch them. The online thing is failin' me on this one.

Anyway, I don't mean upside down. I'm guessing from your response that the attachment straps are on the bottom??

For some reason, I thought it was 2 little compartments with connective fabric between that goes over the top bar and velcro somewhere...

:confused: Did I just invent something or is this a bento box? Help!!

spazz

SadieKate
06-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Does this link work? www.tniusa.com

There are 2 velcro straps which attach the bottom to your top tube. There are 2 more straps that attach the side (front) to your stem. Unless you are using a severely sloping top top like a hybrid or mtbike might have, the small might be OK.

The link has a list of MA dealers. Maybe someone has one.

spazzdog
06-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Thx SK! Hmm, you're right. That won't do what I want it to do.

I can't put anything on my top tube, partly because of the slope and partly because the length of my legs. I'd "hacky-sack" that puppy over a goal post (very long femur).

Maybe I did just invent something...

spazz

fasteryet
06-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Hey S-dog, I saw someone on a ride yesterday with a tiny underseat bag hanging upside down from her stem. It looked like it fit there just fine, no interference anywhere. Guess you just need a med-longish stem for it to work. And since it zipped, nothing could fall out. The velcro straps that would normally go around the seatpost were put around the headset, and the straps that would go on the saddle went around the stem.

spazzdog
06-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Hmmm... now that might work. I'll go peruse the little bags and put my thinkin' cowboy hat on.

Thanks!

SadieKate
06-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Jobob and V got me looking at the hoity-toity bags. Would this work?

http://www.wallbike.com/klickfix/miniadapterfamily.html