PDA

View Full Version : recommend a spring road tire?

oldbikah
03-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Anyone recommend a tough, not too expensive, tire for spring use where shoulders have gravel and other nasty things; I think a 700x25 would be good. Spring lasts a while in western Maine! (and comes and goes, snowing today)

jobob
03-28-2005, 11:31 AM
If you're looking for a tough 25 mm width tire I'd go for the Panaracer Pasela Tourguard (TG) - on sale at nashbar (www.nashbar.com) for 20 bucks each.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=4286&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

(if this link doesn't work, just type Pasela in the search box)

They tend to run narrower than advertised, so the 700 x 28's are closer to 25 mm wide

pedaddler
03-28-2005, 06:20 PM
i have been using armadillios for my commuter and have had no problems. they're not the quickest, but no flats all winter and so far this spring (gawd, i hope i haven't jinxed it ) i think specialized makes them.

oldbikah
03-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks jobob and pedaddler! I will check those out.

bikerchick68
04-07-2005, 09:27 AM
I had 9 flats in 3 weeks (yes 9!!! :mad: ) so finally switched to a Continental DuraSkin... not a single flat since! I've ridden a couple centuries on it and last time ended up stopping to help another woman who had a flat and didn't know how to fix it... since I am now well versed in that subject I was able to change HER flat at least!

The Duraskin doesn't roll quite as fast as the Michelin Race tires I had, but I amke up for the lost time by not sitting on the side of the road cursing and changing flats! :D

CorsairMac
04-07-2005, 01:14 PM
I have Michelin on the Peugeot and my LBS put something in there called AirLoc or AirTight??....anyway - since we have horrific thorns out here all our bikes need thorn resistant tubes and Slime or this new stuff....it doesn't add any weight to the bike but if the tube Is punctured, it seals the puncture. I'm hoping I don't have to find out first hand how it works but I have a CO2 cartridge just in case!

Dogmama
04-09-2005, 03:43 AM
I buy tubes with slime already inserted and use them on my road bike. I'm not a "weight weinie" so I don't care about a few extra grams of weight. I carry regular tubes on the bike, though, because those slime tubes are rather large.

oldbikah
04-13-2005, 01:38 PM
I never tried slime but I'm willing to experiment!

singletrackmind
04-13-2005, 01:49 PM
I use tough skins tire liners. I think there are lighter brands available. It doesn't protect the sidewall, just the tread, but no flats since 1999!! :D