PDA

View Full Version : Hit by a car...

lovelylibrarian
05-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi All,

Last week I was hit by a car while riding to work. It was a very minor accident. On one of the streets I take to work, cars park perpendicular to the road and a guy backed into me while I was traveling down the road. It just happened so fast I didn't even have time to use my brakes.

I'm OK though. I was a bit sore and had some nasty bruises, but that's about it. I'm just feeling a bit unsettled about it. I didn't tell anyone except my husband after it happened. I acted like an animal that gets hit by a car and runs off. I just said, "I'm OK" and just off to a meeting at work so I wouldn't be late. I'm embarrassed about it for some reason and I know that's ridiculous.

I keep wondering if I could have avoided the car if I had been paying better attention. I try to ride close to the side of the street to let cars pass but maybe I should allow more room between my bike and the cars.

I guess I'm just rambling... Thanks for reading.

Karen

surgtech1956
05-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Sometimes things happen so fast, you have other things on your mind, etc.... at least you weren't hurt more than bruises.

Duck on Wheels
05-31-2008, 05:02 AM
Hi All,

... a guy backed into me while I was traveling down the road. It just happened so fast I didn't even have time to use my brakes ... I'm embarrassed about it for some reason and I know that's ridiculous.

I keep wondering if I could have avoided the car if I had been paying better attention. I try to ride close to the side of the street to let cars pass but maybe I should allow more room between my bike and the cars.

I guess I'm just rambling... Thanks for reading.

Karen

YOU should not feel embarrassed or guilty. The car driver, on the other hand, is clearly at fault. You do NOT, EVER, back up a car without checking carefully what's behind you and what's coming past from either side. That's the law! Any time you hit something while backing, it is your fault. Leastways, that's what I learned in driver's ed all those many years ago. So the driver should be the one feeling guilty and embarrassed. Luckily, you can both also be feeling relieved it didn't turn out worse. :eek:

spokewench
05-31-2008, 05:37 AM
Also, to help you out. I ride in a congested area downtown with cars parked parallel next to the road - I do NOT ride too close to the cars as they can door me or pull out into traffic and hit me; so in those kinds of circumstances, I take the road, i.e. move out into traffic where a car cannot pass me and ride like a car. I probably would do the same in the circumstances where you got hit. It is safer. The cars can wait until it is safe to pass.

I'm so glad you were okay, your bike was okay, and you have no reason to feel bad - the car hit you and was at fault.

mimitabby
05-31-2008, 05:47 AM
I hope you got information from the driver. They hit you, they are at fault.
I am very wary of parked cars (I know now you will be too!)
and try to always give them 3 or 4 feet unless i can see clearly that they are unoccupied. I'm glad it was minor, get well quick and WELCOME TO TE!

RoadRaven
05-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Ah... LL.... how sad that your first post here is about getting smacked by a car
Trust you heal well, and that you stay around long enough to see what else TE can offer

lph
05-31-2008, 01:27 PM
What Raven said. Welcome to TE!

That embarrassed response is quite normal, I get it sometimes, feels like the most important thing is to get back on your feet and say "I'm fine!!" :rolleyes: Just one way of handling the fear and adrenaline.

lovelylibrarian
06-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks to all of you for your support and kinds words. I'm getting over my first encounter with a car and consider myself fortunate that I wasn't badly hurt. I'm looking forward to participating in the other parts of the forum. It seems like a great place.

Karen

Aint Doody
06-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Karen---so glad you're OK. And this is sorta off-topic, but what's the deal with the chicken???? Is it real or somebody in a wonderful disguise? It makes me smile.

lovelylibrarian
06-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I LOVE this chicken picture. This company actually sells clothing FOR chickens. Check it out: http://www.chickenssuit.com/english/

I don't own any of it but I think the concept is hilarious.

Aggie_Ama
06-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the site! My in-laws own chickens and never want for anything. Maybe we should get those for the next gift giving event? :p

Duck on Wheels
06-03-2008, 01:00 AM
LOL! I grew up on a chicken farm. 6000 laying hens. It never occured to us to put clothes on them :rolleyes:. "Dress" them for dinner, yes, but that actually means pretty much the opposite. ;)

Aggie_Ama
06-03-2008, 04:38 AM
LOL! I grew up on a chicken farm. 6000 laying hens. It never occured to us to put clothes on them :rolleyes:. "Dress" them for dinner, yes, but that actually means pretty much the opposite. ;)

My in-laws only have 6 hens. I kid you not, my husband's stepmom has been sitting in her recliner rocking a chicken. It was disturbing. They all have names as well.

bmccasland
06-03-2008, 04:48 AM
YOU should not feel embarrassed or guilty. The car driver, on the other hand, is clearly at fault. You do NOT, EVER, back up a car without checking carefully what's behind you and what's coming past from either side. That's the law! Any time you hit something while backing, it is your fault. Leastways, that's what I learned in driver's ed all those many years ago. So the driver should be the one feeling guilty and embarrassed. Luckily, you can both also be feeling relieved it didn't turn out worse. :eek:

Except perhaps when you're a small car, eeking your way out between two large SUVs, and back into, or get smacked by, a passing vehicle doing 40 in a 20. Nothing quite like backing up blind. I did know who was behind me, but couldn't see the van that was speeding from the side. Since this was in my office parking lot, the police weren't involved. And the owner of the delivery company got very quiet, and I heard nothing further, when I told him his driver passed at least four 20 mph signs before he hit me. So there was NO excuse for his driver's speeding.

Duck on Wheels
06-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Except perhaps when you're a small car, eeking your way out between two large SUVs, and back into, or get smacked by, a passing vehicle doing 40 in a 20. Nothing quite like backing up blind. I did know who was behind me, but couldn't see the van that was speeding from the side. Since this was in my office parking lot, the police weren't involved. And the owner of the delivery company got very quiet, and I heard nothing further, when I told him his driver passed at least four 20 mph signs before he hit me. So there was NO excuse for his driver's speeding.

Yeah, I think breaking a posted speed limit does change the legal situation. At the very least, that would entail some share of the responsibility. But then, I'm not a lawyer.