PDA

View Full Version : question down under

georgialaw
03-27-2005, 04:34 PM
I recently started riding and am having problems with yeast infections. I wear perl izumi cycling shorts with no underwear. I am a new triathlete so I swim in my cycling shorts (racing only) much of the time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

LBTC
03-27-2005, 05:57 PM
ouch
it's never a pretty thing
I usually get them early in the season then somehow get used to it, and don't get them so often

I wouldn't be surprised if riding in wet shorts is problematic.

I mountain bike (and road bike to train) and feel like a complete geek that I change out of my shorts into anything else right after the ride...but that does seem to help

do you eat much yogurt? that contains a lot of the good bacteria needed to control that yeast...

and there's always fluconazole....one pill and a few days later everything is happy again!

I'll be interested to see if there are any other suggestions....

Namaste,
~T~

madisongrrl
03-27-2005, 10:42 PM
When you are done riding, immediately remove your bike shorts and maybe hop in the shower... Do you have a few different pairs of shorts that you can rotate and wash after every use?

CorsairMac
03-28-2005, 10:57 AM
did you have problems with yeast infections before you started riding or only after?

neuroticcyclist
03-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Ditto what the others say - dry it out down there immediately.

My friends who do tris use special, lighter shorts than regular cycling shorts since they apparently breathe better and dry while on the bike before the run.

LBTC
03-30-2005, 09:56 PM
so I found a different saddle on girlbike called the saddleco flow....totally breathes....I'm looking at giving it a try and I'll let you know if the theory works for a fairly light girl on a road bike. I checked a review site - those that loved it LOVED it (mostly girls) those that didn't like it HATED it - they mostly broke it - I'm guessing it would only suit lighter riders.

I'll let you if I get it and if that helps with comfort and avoiding yeast infections (yup, one road ride on Friday and I already had one. thank goodness for fluconazole!)

namaste,

~T~

anaphase
05-05-2005, 12:49 PM
How much sugar is in your diet? In addition to drying things out, that can be a big factor.

I am very prone to yeast and I try to avoid a lot of sugar, and I take acidophilous (sp) capsules if I'm not eating yogurt on a regular basis.

Hope this helps!

MightyMitre
05-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi georgialaw

Don't know if this is relevant to you or not, but if you have a yeast infection both you and your partner should be treated, otherwise it can just carry on passing between you. Men may have it but show little or few symptoms. Just thought I'd mention it.

You said you've just started doing tri. Are you training any harder than normal? Yeast infections can often be a sign of being run down so I hope you're getting lots of nice recovery time.

You could also try taking something like Eccinachea which boosts the immue system and can also help.

Hope this is of some use. :)

shewhobikes
05-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Have had problems with this in the last few weeks. I'm pretty sure it's because I had to go on some strong antibiotics to get ride of a mean sinus/bronchial infection. These drugs can have that side-effect. Yogurt helps, as does acidophelus (sp? guess none of us can spell it!) Also there's some great OTC meds for this now, stuff we used to have to get prescriptions for. Just peruse the "feminine hygiene" shelves at your local pharmacy.

And what everyone else said...ditto. Not to be too specific, here, but warm, wet environments grow yeast. So ditch the Izumis and wash off (even using a baby wipe followed by dry hand towel is good), then put on dry shorts, preferably 100 percent cotton that breathes. Good luck!

KSH
05-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Well... this is going to seem out of left field... BUT...

Are you on birth control? If not... or if so... are you taking Depo Provea? The shot you get every 3 months?

All I know... is that since I got on the shot... I NEVER have yeast infections. I use to get them about once a month (mind you, this was just living day to day... there was no activity involved like you are talking about)... now, never get one. I also never get a period. Which is REALLY NICE!

Anyhoo... just another idea for you to ponder.

Best of luck.

PS- Also, when I use to get my yeast infections, the moment I felt a little discomfort, I would give myself a dose of Vagisil (? name?), and it would stop it before it blew up on me. Also, I started eating more yogart (which if you get the Light and Fit kind, it's only 90 calories a serving).

MightyMitre
05-06-2005, 07:32 AM
I'm no medical expert but yoghurt, if eaten doesn't really do much to help as it all gets digested in the stomach. Basically to help re-balance things out you need you use live yoghurt and er... apply it directly to the area in question.

If you're not too good at standing on your head then an easier way is to apply it with a tampon.

Oh yes - probably goes without saying but you'll want plain yoghurt, not strawberry or fruit flavour ;) :p

fixedgeargirl
05-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Oh yes - probably goes without saying but you'll want plain yoghurt, not strawberry or fruit flavour ;) :p

I was going to make a *funny* comment here ;)...but I will just say that, yes avoid putting anything with sugar on the infection, it's just fuel for the fire.

SadieKate
05-06-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm no medical expert but yoghurt, if eaten doesn't really do much to help as it all gets digested in the stomach. Basically to help re-balance things out you need you use live yoghurt and er... apply it directly to the area in question.

If you're not too good at standing on your head then an easier way is to apply it with a tampon.

Just douche with it. Use a 1:1 ratio with warm water. Make sure the yoghurt or buttermilk has a live culture. Works great.

A nurse once told me she had a patient not only use flavored but it still had the berry seeds in it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

spazzdog
05-06-2005, 09:29 AM
plain, plain, plain... douching is the only good use for that flavor :cool:

Fortunately, I only have to worry about yeast infections when on antibiotics. But I always take my pill(s) with drinky yogurt and no problem.

spazz

Melody
05-06-2005, 02:54 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm diabetic and _constantly_ have problems with yeast because of the higher blood sugar amount in my body, and thus, *cough* secretions. :P

But, what I do is douche from time to time with vinegar & water, plus I try to keep things very dry. In addition, I eat yogurt, wear nothing but cotton underwear, etc. etc.

Plus I make my hubby stay _really_ clean down there. :cool: :D

Because I'm diabetic, yeast cream wise, I stay with the 7 day type treatments when I need 'em. The single day is great for people who don't have the problem on a regular basis, but my doc tells me to use the 7 day ones because of the regularity that I have with it.

Mel

MightyMitre
05-06-2005, 03:51 PM
:o Can't believe I'm asking this but.. how does one - er - douche? :o

Melody
05-06-2005, 04:30 PM
:o Can't believe I'm asking this but.. how does one - er - douche? :o

What I use is one of the reusable types like this (http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?id=prod17203&skuid=sku317203&CATID=100224&navAction=push&navCount=0).

You can use the disposables, but as often as I get issues with yeast, etc, it just isn't economical.

But, I essentially put 50ml of white distilled vinegar and then fill it up with warm water. Then you screw in the top, and place it up inside there and then squeeze the bulb. The reason for vinegar is it creates a slightly acidic environment which yeast doesn't like. :D

Afterwards, I rinse out the bulb portion and hang it upside down to dry. I use an antibacterial soap on the portion that goes inside and clean it. It also hangs with the opening down so it dries completely.

Mel

singletrackmind
05-06-2005, 04:51 PM
This is definitely NOT a dude board!! :D

I'm so glad-answers to stuff you'd never see there...

Someone mentioned antibiotics and someone else birth control pills and it got me to wondering-how many know some antibiotics can reduce effectiveness of b/c pills? St. John's wort is another b/c no-no.

MightyMitre
05-07-2005, 03:40 AM
Thanks for enlightening me Mel. I've never come across that douch gizmo before, but then again... it's not something that tends to crop up in every day conversation. :p

Nope - this is NOT a Dude board. ;) :D

spazzdog
05-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Melody, I wish you were my mommy :D That was a great, simplistic explaination.

I was remembering the speaches about what things were and how to do them back in my kid days... yeeks!

The one that cracked me up was the no tampon deal... it might "make you not a virgin anymore" PLA-EEEEEZE! One month of san naps and I was using tampons on the sly. Virgin-smirgin! I hated sittin' on that thing...

Oh! I suddenly realized why I hate most womens chamois'... it brings flashbacks to my feeble brain.

spazz - with yet another mystery of life solved

Melody
05-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Melody, I wish you were my mommy :D That was a great, simplistic explaination.

Well, I was asked by my husband's ex-wife that I may have to explain things to my step-daughter since she was going to have her first period any day during their visit with us, so it could happen then. So I kind of brushed up on what I would say. :D

The one that cracked me up was the no tampon deal... it might "make you not a virgin anymore" PLA-EEEEEZE! One month of san naps and I was using tampons on the sly. Virgin-smirgin! I hated sittin' on that thing...

Oh! You mean that diaper feeling? :p

Oh! I suddenly realized why I hate most womens chamois'... it brings flashbacks to my feeble brain.

Uhh. Do we want to know what those flashbacks are? :rolleyes: :D

Mel

spazzdog
05-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Most of 'em are to "poofy" for me... the only one I found that I really like is the one in the PI Sugar short. They are officially the only womens short I'll wear. Other than that I get the smallest mens I can find.

And Mel... I ain't goin' there with ya on flashbacks. uh-uh-no-way :eek: I have a reputation to uphold... somewhere... if I can remember where I put it.

spazz

Melody
05-10-2005, 03:31 PM
:eek: :rolleyes: :p :D :cool:

Mel

RoadRaven
05-13-2005, 07:03 PM

I was gonna suggest the same thing, natural acidophilus yoghurt, unsweetened, applied directly to the area in question...

MM - a tampon as an applicator is a good idea - never thought of that!

alison_in_oh
05-14-2005, 06:26 AM
I was gonna suggest the same thing, natural acidophilus yoghurt, unsweetened, applied directly to the area in question...

MM - a tampon as an applicator is a good idea - never thought of that!

I had some yeasties throwing a party down there last week. I gave the yogurt treatment a good try, and by golly it worked!

I found on the internet a recommendation to make yogurt-cicles. It sounds like filling the fingers of a latex glove and then freezing it would be perfect. I couldn't find any latex gloves on short notice so I put my yogurt in a sandwich bag, smooshed it into an appropriate shape, and froze it.

I started the treatment as soon as I had the tell-tale itching and burning. On a regular basis I just went to the freezer, broke off a smallish portion, and popped it up there. Yeah, it's cold but it cools the "fire" of the YI! I'm going to keep plain yogurt on hand at all times now!

spazzdog
05-14-2005, 06:59 AM
finger cots... use them to make anatomically correct yogurt-cicles.

medical supply houses or "safe sex" retailers like Condomania.

Oh... what is a finger cot you ask? it's what you get if you cut the fingers off a pair of latex surgical gloves. fingers only. :D

spazz, spewing trivia again

CorsairMac
05-14-2005, 10:26 AM
I believe you can buy finger cots at any drugstore also, they're recommended to keep finger wonds clean, safe, and covered.

I may not say much, but what I got to say is trivial!

newrider
05-30-2005, 03:30 PM
I used the search function to find the proper thread for this question. Clearly, "not a dude board" is what I'm looking for. :o Direct me elsewhere if there's a better place for this.

I just bought cycling shorts, after reading this thread and the one about Chamoise Butt'r, in hopes that lubing up with either Assos, Chamois Butt'r or Bag Balm will help me NEVER AGAIN acquire the poison ivy type itch I just endured for a week -- swelling, spreading rash, itching-bottom-taking-over-my-whole-body experience. I assumed it was yeast (although it was never vaginal, just everywhere else in a 3 inch radius from there), but Gyn Lotrimin and then Monistat didn't phase it. My obgyn had a look and tested for EVERYTHING, but everything came back negative, even yeast.

I'm thinking now it was serious chafing with a nice bacterial infection of some sort jumping in when it had the chance. Does this sound likely? I'm 48, and have the thinning tissues, decreasing estrogen thing going, I think. I couldn't think about getting back on the bike for a week, and I want to be sure I'm over it (whatever it was) before I risk riding again. I was only up to 7-10 mile rides, and this started. Cycling shorts apparently make a big difference? Do I just spread the chamois cream all over the chamois and my parts? I intend to wash thoroughly after riding, then dry thoroughly, and as my obgyn had me do, lie down with a light bulb shining away down there to dry it all the way to toasy. Will I have to do this forever? Will things toughen up? I don't exactly feel like athlete girl right now....

I AM going to see about lowering the front of my seat a bit (it seemed very comfortable riding, though), slide it forward a bit perhaps, stand and ride for a breather down there every once in awhile. What else?

Anyone else ever have something besides yeast bothering them? I could use your collective wisdom here, for sure. I've been walking for exercise for a couple years, but my husband and I recently bought Trek hybrids, and hope to ride all over our gently hilly rural midwest together (having sex again eventually would be nice, too). :)

This got really long, but I think I got it all out there. Thanks for this great safe-feeling place to ask things I never thought I'd be asking!!!!

sign me,
Woosy *****

Jones
05-30-2005, 05:14 PM
I am sorry to hear about your rash. Could it be possible that you are allergic to something? Chamios or chamios cream? Maybe you could put some chamios cream on a test patch on a non ride day and see what happens. Hope you can get back on your bike soon.

Jones

Beth-Ro
05-30-2005, 05:29 PM
"the poison ivy type itch I just endured for a week -- swelling, spreading rash, itching-bottom-taking-over-my-whole-body experience. I assumed it was yeast (although it was never vaginal, just everywhere else in a 3 inch radius from there), but Gyn Lotrimin and then Monistat didn't phase it. My obgyn had a look and tested for EVERYTHING, but everything came back negative, even yeast."

Sounds very familiar to me...as soon as the weather got hot and humid the chafing began and with it came the same symptoms. I went to the pharmacy where my buddy Meg told me about two new products from Monistat. She even ordered both for me to try. They are called Soothing Care. One is for chafing relief. It is a powder-gel (goes on like ointment; dries to a powder.) It is for the "Inner Thigh and bikini area/from moisture, heat, movement, and shaving". The other one is called Itch Relief Cream..."for itching, inflammation, burning irritation". The itch relief worked the best for me. In two days I was all healed up and my rides are no longer miserable. Lo and behold, its main ingredient is 1% hydrocortisone.
So if you can't find these at the pharmacy, try plain old hydrocortisone.

hope this helps!
-beth

newrider
05-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Beth and Jones,

I'll look for the Monistat Itch Relief Cream! I haven't tried a chamois cream at all yet, but I'm hoping it'll reduce the chafing that I think was the cause.

Thanks!

Technotart
05-30-2005, 05:57 PM
If the yogurt application is too messy for you - try this - insert an acidophilus capsule before bedtime. Less mess, but it doesn't have the cooling instant relief of the yogurt. Freezing is not a bad idea, but I am not sure that you preserve a lot of the live acidophilus that way - just something to consider if the frozen version doesn't seem to be working for you.

CorsairMac
05-30-2005, 07:14 PM
are these new shorts for you? and do you have any allergy? I had the same type of reaction to my first pair of PI shorts, t'would seem I'm allergic to the antibacterial ingrediant they use or the synthetic chamois. I stopped wearing them as soon as I had problems, got myself healed up and haven't had any problems since..........but I'll never wear PIs again.

LBTC
05-30-2005, 08:53 PM
I'd follow up with Corsair's suggestion. They sneak that scary antibacterial coating into all sorts of things! :eek: I haven't found I'm allergic, but the concept scares me, so I avoid that stuff as much as possible!!

Good luck!!!

Namaste,
~T~