PDA

View Full Version : Your measurements?

alison_in_oh
03-27-2005, 05:04 AM
I finally got around to measuring the width between my sitbones. It's a hair over 6". My husband's is 3.25"! Nonetheless, I'm trying one of his Selle Italia saddles with a gel insert today. I think it will just fit me.

Is 6" normal? Wide? Narrow? for a girl?

AutumnBreez
03-27-2005, 05:22 AM
How do you measure? the method???

alison_in_oh
03-27-2005, 09:46 AM
How do you measure? the method???

One of two ways. Easiest is probably to take a piece of paper to a hard, bumpy surface like cement. Sit on it! Your buttbones will create indentations in the paper and you can measure between them.

I did it the hard way. ;) Prodded around back there till I could feel the bones then stretched a tape measure between them! I later confirmed it by the paper-sitting method too.

As an update, the saddle fit! It supported my butt better than my Selle San Marco Donna, plus I used vaseline as chamois buttter to ease the chafing, but I still have some pain (quite possibly though I sensitized my parts with yesterday's ride, where I didn't take nearly the precautions). The gel might have helped a little, but it might also have been misplaced for my anatomy, it's hard to say. I'm going to try somebody else's saddle too, and I got another, second-hand enthusiastic testimonial for the Fizik Vitesse so I'm kind of really getting tempted to try that one. (Plus half the guys on the ride today were on Fizik. ;)

Someday I *will* have a completely comfortable ride, LOL!

spazzdog
03-27-2005, 09:57 AM
See Favorite Saddles... I promise not to repeat my drooling praise for this saddle here :p

spazz (now staring at her bicycle with wrench in hand)

"here bikey, bikey, bikey... get into the nice bike carrier."

SadieKate
03-27-2005, 03:31 PM
"here bikey, bikey, bikey... get into the nice bike carrier."
Maybe if you throw some new tubes or purty new bar tape in the box first . . . :p

Pedal Wench
03-27-2005, 08:06 PM
I got another, second-hand enthusiastic testimonial for the Fizik Vitesse so I'm kind of really getting tempted to try that one. (Plus half the guys on the ride today were on Fizik. ;)

Someday I *will* have a completely comfortable ride, LOL!

I gotta chime in - although I don't post here often. However, having 'auditioned' about 8 saddles, I've become a pro! I started out with a Fizik Vitesses - it came with my bike. It was fine on short rides, but anything over 50 miles started causing severe discomfort - pressure on all the wrong spots. I used the Specialized gel measuring thingy, and I'm 150mm - just under six inches. The Vitesse is only about 4 inches before it starts to slope down - meaning that your sitbones will be about an inch LOWER than the center of the saddle, with more weight onthe non-sitbone parts. After trying the entire Terry line, a SelleItalia that left me scarred, and a Specialized Alias, I'm very, very happy with a Specialized Avatar, in the largest size - 155mm. As far as I can tell, it's the exact same as the women's Jett model (which says 'Avatar 155' on the side, but it's a different color scheme) In the past two weeks, I've done two centuries without a complaint on this saddle. Just my 2 cents - your mileage may vary...

alison_in_oh
03-28-2005, 05:10 AM
I gotta chime in - although I don't post here often. However, having 'auditioned' about 8 saddles, I've become a pro! I started out with a Fizik Vitesses - it came with my bike. It was fine on short rides, but anything over 50 miles started causing severe discomfort - pressure on all the wrong spots. I used the Specialized gel measuring thingy, and I'm 150mm - just under six inches. The Vitesse is only about 4 inches before it starts to slope down - meaning that your sitbones will be about an inch LOWER than the center of the saddle, with more weight onthe non-sitbone parts. After trying the entire Terry line, a SelleItalia that left me scarred, and a Specialized Alias, I'm very, very happy with a Specialized Avatar, in the largest size - 155mm. As far as I can tell, it's the exact same as the women's Jett model (which says 'Avatar 155' on the side, but it's a different color scheme) In the past two weeks, I've done two centuries without a complaint on this saddle. Just my 2 cents - your mileage may vary...

Thanks, your input is very helpful! I think the saddle I'm going to borrow from a friend who likewise ran the gamut before settling on a hands-down favorite is also a Specialized.

Did you find any trade-off in power transfer with the gel cushioned seating area?

SadieKate
03-28-2005, 08:05 AM
I used the Specialized gel measuring thingy, and I'm 150mm - just under six inches. The Vitesse is only about 4 inches before it starts to slope down - meaning that your sitbones will be about an inch LOWER than the center of the saddle, with more weight onthe non-sitbone parts.

Thanks, Audio. I also agree that the measurement of the saddle before it starts to slope down is the most important measurement. It's not the overall width of the saddle (other than the nose), it's whether the support spots match your sitbone measurements.

Pedal Wench
03-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks, your input is very helpful! I think the saddle I'm going to borrow from a friend who likewise ran the gamut before settling on a hands-down favorite is also a Specialized.

Did you find any trade-off in power transfer with the gel cushioned seating area?

Terrific question, but I'll be honest. There wasn't much power transfer happening when I was in pain on the other saddles. Comparing the gel cushion to the non-gel Alias, I don't feel I gave up anything. It's such a tiny bit of gel, but apparently, just enough in exactly the right place.

One thing that I've learned is that we are all extremely different. Given how much love there is for the Terry's, I thought those would be perfect. But, every saddle has to have SOME fans, right? So, find a source that will let you try them out - I could tell after one 50 mile ride if a saddle was a no-go. The Terry FireFly was close, but it still just wasn't ideal.

Knowing that no matter what my ego said, I needed a wide saddle helped immensely. I could look at the rear profile of a saddle and know that it would slope down too quickly, or would be too wide through the nose, or be too squishy. But, once you find 'the one', life suddenly becomes very, very good!

CorsairMac
03-28-2005, 11:11 AM
I also ride on a Specialized. Have Not a clue what the name is. At the time I bought it I thought it was a mans saddle - but found out later it was a womans. My LBS said he could tell by the colour! :rolleyes: Anyway - it doesn't have any gel but it does have a very narrow channel which runs all the way down the middle. The saddle is very flat and narrow and matches my sit bones perfect. Unlike most of you - I haven't ridden anything over 35 miles at 1 time but the day I did I had no discomfort with my nether regions. Trying to get over a sinus infection and back into riding darnit...and then I'm gonna try my first 1/2 centuary!!

PS: have not a clue how wide my sit bones are - but thanks to riding...they don't have a lot of padding anymore! :D

alison_in_oh
03-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Terrific question, but I'll be honest. There wasn't much power transfer happening when I was in pain on the other saddles. Comparing the gel cushion to the non-gel Alias, I don't feel I gave up anything. It's such a tiny bit of gel, but apparently, just enough in exactly the right place.

Cool, good to know. The Selle Italia I rode yesterday had zero padding for the bony parts, and though they ended up a little achey I did feel like I was pedaling more efficiently than with my generally-padded Selle San Marco I'd ridden the day before.

One thing that I've learned is that we are all extremely different. Given how much love there is for the Terry's, I thought those would be perfect. But, every saddle has to have SOME fans, right? So, find a source that will let you try them out - I could tell after one 50 mile ride if a saddle was a no-go. The Terry FireFly was close, but it still just wasn't ideal.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what it all boils down to! Just try it and see. I even mentioned to my hubby that what I needed was to find someplace with a good return policy so I could ride before committing. As he said, "That's easier said than done"!

Knowing that no matter what my ego said, I needed a wide saddle helped immensely. I could look at the rear profile of a saddle and know that it would slope down too quickly, or would be too wide through the nose, or be too squishy. But, once you find 'the one', life suddenly becomes very, very good!

The more I learn to LOVE riding, the more I long for that day when it's a pain-free affair!

Barb
03-28-2005, 03:42 PM
ROFLMAO hooo hooo haaa haaa haa!!! I just ran outside and sat on a peice of paper on bumpy cement. My sitz bonz left NO mark! Guess I have enough gel back there not to need any on my seat! :o

I bought a WTB She today. After 5 miles, it kinda hurt. the jury is still out on that one.

SadieKate
03-28-2005, 03:51 PM
You gals have my total sympathy with the challenges of new saddles, but this thread is getting pretty hilarious. It may be video time so you can show us the perfect technique for measuring. :D A fit of the giggles is about the start!

CorsairMac
03-28-2005, 08:27 PM
ROFLMAO hooo hooo haaa haaa haa!!! I just ran outside and sat on a peice of paper on bumpy cement. My sitz bonz left NO mark! Guess I have enough gel back there not to need any on my seat! :o

I bought a WTB She today. After 5 miles, it kinda hurt. the jury is still out on that one.

That was Hilarious!! Ok...the whole thing with your saddle isn't - but I had this mental image of your neighbors (think Mrs. Crabtree from Bewitched) peeking thru their blinds wondering what in Gods name you were doing!!

nuthatch
03-29-2005, 02:57 AM
That was Hilarious!! Ok...the whole thing with your saddle isn't - but I had this mental image of your neighbors (think Mrs. Crabtree from Bewitched) peeking thru their blinds wondering what in Gods name you were doing!!

Likewise with the measuring tape stretched behind you, trying to find each bone and mark the place. I did this the other day and my daughter walked in - MOM WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? I thought I'd die laughing!!

spazzdog
03-29-2005, 05:42 AM
roll it out

lay it over that overstuffed sofa armrest

mount up

remove putty from sofa

measure imprints (if any)

destroy evidence

CorsairMac
03-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Stop it - I'm crying now I'm laughing so hard! And as I posted earlier - trying to laugh quietly while at work so the boss can't hear ya - makes me laugh even harder!.......now I gotta figure out some story for the tears......coz I Sure can't share This with him!!!

nuthatch
03-29-2005, 10:02 AM
roll it out

lay it over that overstuffed sofa armrest

mount up

remove putty from sofa

measure imprints (if any)

destroy evidence

I think I might be imprinting all little "TMI" with this method!!!

Dirt Girl
03-29-2005, 11:10 AM
If so, see if they have one of their spiffy little sit bone measuring tools. My LBS has one. Sit on this little squishy pad and measure. You get clear indentations and no strange looks from the neighbors!

Pedal Wench
03-29-2005, 01:03 PM
If so, see if they have one of their spiffy little sit bone measuring tools. My LBS has one. Sit on this little squishy pad and measure. You get clear indentations and no strange looks from the neighbors!

More affectionately known as the A$$-O-Meter!

Hey, if the, uh, shoe fits...

By the way, the silly little thing works!

Barb
03-31-2005, 01:58 AM
LMAO now you know I am gonna go to my lbs and ask for the A#@ o meter!!! That is a must! My new saddle jsut barely accomodates my sitz bones.

Is it a crime to use the same saddle on my MTN as on my Road bike? I love my road bike saddle.

sandra b
06-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Has anyone used The Seat? (http://www.thecomfortseat.com/)

I talked to a couple at Pike Street market last weekend, they had it on the back of a tandem, and they both raved about it, saying they took newbies out on long rides with no discomfort.

I want to know how it works on a road bike, instead of an upright position.

mimitabby
06-06-2006, 02:57 PM
The only thing i'd wonder about is loss of control. having that pointy nose part between your legs gives you something to grip.
The standard saddles leave so much to be desired, i am just not sure it
is worth it or wise to punish yourself long enough to get used to one.

i look at the seats on some road bikes and I am amazed that someone considers that something they'd like to sit on even for a little while.
I mean the inside of your buttocks which is where that thing goes is so delicate. there are tiny nerves and blood vessels, skin and bone. and it's not THICK skin either. if your seat is not supporting your sitting bones (and how could it if it is 4" across?!) it's digging into areas that were never meant to bear weight in the first place!

donnambr
06-25-2006, 12:41 PM
I did the paper on the hard floor measure, as well as folding my yoga mat in half and measuring the indentations. 7 inches both times. Somehow, I'm not surprised. Runs in the family. The saddle width of the Velo Plush on my bike is about 6 inches at its widest, and I have been wondering about whether I could be more comfortable than I am as my rides have gotten longer. I think I'm going to take a hard look at the B-67.

KnottedYet
06-25-2006, 12:47 PM
I should be getting mine in the mail day after tomorrow.

khgulledge
07-10-2006, 05:39 AM
hi everyone,

i'm new to these boards and in search of a new saddle to replace the stock that came on my trek pilot 5.0 wsd.

i'm having issues with pain in the area where my legs attach...also girly parts are starting to get mashed. i have found that i do ok as long as my rides are short in length (timewise), say, less than 2hr. but after that, on longer rides (like 4hr this past saturday), there was pain in the joint area and too much mashing. ended up with some lower back pain as well. i spend most of my time on the hoods, but would like to ride in the drops more, but there is just WAY too much mashing to be anywhere comfortable doing that. there also seems to be more mashing while on the hoods unless i sit up a lot more.

i haven't done the paper on the sidewalk measurement yet, but did do the "sit on your hands and have your husband measure between where you felt the bones" measurement. that came out to be around 5-5.25" or close to 130mm. i just don't know where to start when selecting a saddle. i do gather that, if my sit bones are 130mm apart, that i would want to get a saddle that is, maybe, 140mm wide??

i'm going to call my lbs (specialized dealer) and see if they have an a$$-o-meter, get measured there and see what they recommend. i just don't want to go spend a 100 bucks on a saddle and it not be right or hard to return as i would hear about it from the non-riding spouse....

thanks, karen.

melissam
07-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Karen,

You might consider getting a Brooks saddle from Wallingford bikes (www.wallbike.com). They have a 6 month return policy, so you won't risk being stuck with a saddle you don't like.

A B-17S is $67 -- less than the $100 you're thinking of spending.

Also, Bill would probably chat with you about what you should get given your sit bone measurements.

I read the Brooks saddle thread and I'm considering getting one myself.

-- Melissa

PS I don't recommend reading this thread while you're at work, because you might be tempted to try measuring your bones and it would be embarrassing if someone came up to your cube while you were in the middle of measuring. I'm just sayin' is all... :o

kiwi girl
07-12-2006, 05:43 PM
PS I don't recommend reading this thread while you're at work, because you might be tempted to try measuring your bones and it would be embarrassing if someone came up to your cube while you were in the middle of measuring. I'm just sayin' is all... :o

and I don't recommend reading this thread at work because you might read melissam's message and end up with pasta sauce all over your computer keyboard from laughing so hard

khgulledge
07-21-2006, 10:45 AM
went to the lbs and had some adjustments made: had the nose of saddle lowered some so that it's tilted downward. that helped a lot, but last weekend, i had a 62 & 48 mi ride over the weekend and developed a rash on the inside of my thigh near the crease, so i haven't ridden this week.

went back to lbs and they are letting me try out a terry butterfly saddle. will test it out tomorrow on my group ride.

Thanks for the reply. Karen.

Karen,

You might consider getting a Brooks saddle from Wallingford bikes (www.wallbike.com). They have a 6 month return policy, so you won't risk being stuck with a saddle you don't like.

A B-17S is $67 -- less than the $100 you're thinking of spending.

Also, Bill would probably chat with you about what you should get given your sit bone measurements.

I read the Brooks saddle thread and I'm considering getting one myself.

-- Melissa

melissam
07-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Kiwi Girl,

Sorry about your loss of pasta sauce. Hopefully you still had enough for lunch and were able to clean up the computer keyboard. ;)

Karen,

Good luck with the Terry Butterfly. A lot of women really like the saddle, so I hope you do too!

Everyone else,

Here's a low budget way to get your measurements, all in the privacy of your own home, and with minimal potential for embarrassment.

1. Take a paper towel -- one standard-sized square should work, but use two if you want a margin for error.
2. Place the paper towel(s) on a plushly carpeted area.
3. Sit on the paper towel(s).
4. Get up.
The paper towel(s) should have two indentations where the sit bones are. If you don't put anything on it, the indentations should last indefinitely.

-- Melissa

pooks
07-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Okay, so I tried to measure my sit bones.

I tried the lie-on-your-back-with-knees-raised method.

I tried the sit-on-firm-office-chair-on-piece-of-paper method.

NOTHING.

How embarrassing. So much padding, the bones don't leave an imprint?

Then I noticed what I'm wearing: My road shorts. PADDED road shorts.

Shut up.

I took them off and repeated both above methods.

Still no indentations.

Okay, now I'm REALLY embarrassed! LOL.

morsecode
07-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Okay, so I tried to measure my sit bones.

I tried the lie-on-your-back-with-knees-raised method.

I tried the sit-on-firm-office-chair-on-piece-of-paper method.

NOTHING.

How embarrassing. So much padding, the bones don't leave an imprint?

Then I noticed what I'm wearing: My road shorts. PADDED road shorts.

Shut up.

I took them off and repeated both above methods.

Still no indentations.

Okay, now I'm REALLY embarrassed! LOL.

Feel free to ignore this suggestion, but it seemed to work for me...
do the chair method (I used a paper towel and a flat-seat wooden chair), but lift your legs up and engage your abs. You'll feel your bones on the chair and know you have an identation

Mind you, I still have no idea what saddle to go for

Kitsune06
07-24-2006, 06:56 PM
I found it useful to rock back 'n forth a little...

Geez. My measurement's way bigger than I thought. No wonder my saddle hurts after a few miles- after taking the measurements and setting the measurin' sheet on the seat, all became clear. The 'peaks' of my sit-bones are half-straddling the seat.:eek: No wonder so much of my weight ends up being carried by my soft tissues and other bits. Ugh.

DebW
07-25-2006, 03:33 AM
When I started riding 10-speeds in the early 70s there were only men's saddles, so I rode on them of course. Actually, there were some wide Brooks saddles I could have used if I wasn't afraid of looking like a dork (that was my loss). Around the late 70s, Avocet started making women's saddles. I got one and I still remember the first ride on that saddle. Previously I could ride only 15 miles before my crotch got so sore that I had to stand alot and perform other gyrations. With the new Avocet W-II Racing saddle, I rode 50 miles with my butt ON the saddle! It seemed like the most amazing thing at the time.

morsecode
07-25-2006, 08:29 AM
I found it useful to rock back 'n forth a little...
exactly!

Hub
08-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Has anyone tried painting their behind then sitting on paper to see
where the pink paint is ???

mimitabby
08-08-2006, 01:51 PM
lol wouldn't the whole butt paint the paper pink?

Hub
08-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Only if your sit bones are as well padded as mine!!:p

Seriously though- my workstudy student ( a lovely young man, who rides
a cobalt blue Specializied Allez) had just earlier measured his sit bones in
order to shop for a new seat. He started with the find your bones & use
a tape measure method. He then tried the methods listed on the thread--he had a little trouble with the sit on concrete- (his sit bones are not as well padded.) He then successfully measured again using 2 markers----line up a marker on each bone- then lean/sit on a piece of paper. He was pleased
with this measurement.

From the home of the Fighting Okra

Rebeccah
08-10-2006, 08:09 AM
With the new Avocet W-II Racing saddle, I rode 50 miles with my butt ON the saddle! It seemed like the most amazing thing at the time.

I've got a 30-year-old Avocet W-II that has been hurting my butt all these years. I just realized that the sore spot isn't my ischial tuberosities ("sit bones") all this time, it's forward and inside of that, my pubic rami (the bones that go from the sit bones, inside the legs toward the front "pubic bone"). The only time I'm more comfortable is if I go down on the drops, push way back on the seat, and pedal hard -- but then my "girlie bits" get squashed, and I can't keep it up 'cause my legs get tired.

I guess I either need to move the seat forward or get a different seat.

I haven't successfully measured my sit bones yet, but it's looking like the *comfortable* part of them is at least 6" apart.

Rebeccah

jacquisun
08-28-2006, 04:47 PM
I've jumped from the "favorite seat" to this forum -- because I asked how to find my sit bones. I think I've found them, but I'm not as sure about my measurements. I don't have concrete near my home -- so I tried it on a textured door matt--but the marks are rather obscure--

How exact should it be--and should I err on the side of wider vs. exact when it comes to the seat. I think I"m between 5 and 6 inches, but I'm sure that is not exact enough.

Oh yea, do you measure from the outside to outside of the indents, or middle to middle?

pooks
08-29-2006, 04:52 AM
He then successfully measured again using 2 markers----line up a marker on each bone- then lean/sit on a piece of paper. He was pleased
with this measurement.

I'm trying to figure this out ... ? He does what with the markers? (Are you talking felt tip markers?)

If you go to a bike shop and sit on one of their measuring devices, is that the most accurate? I have this image of me putting my well-padded bum down on it and leaving behind nothing but a smooth surface with a ridge where my crack is, sigh.

ETA: When I tried the "sit on a curb" method, I ended up with a piece of paper that was dimpled/pimpled with little indentations where the rough concrete had almost pierced it, in two roundish circles, but no clear definition where the bones were.

mimitabby
08-29-2006, 06:37 AM
I'm trying to figure this out ... ? He does what with the markers? (Are you talking felt tip markers?)

If you go to a bike shop and sit on one of their measuring devices, is that the most accurate? I have this image of me putting my well-padded bum down on it and leaving behind nothing but a smooth surface with a ridge where my crack is, sigh.

ETA: When I tried the "sit on a curb" method, I ended up with a piece of paper that was dimpled/pimpled with little indentations where the rough concrete had almost pierced it, in two roundish circles, but no clear definition where the bones were.

measure from center to center of the indents, but imagine if you will, a bike
saddle. you'd want it to support a little of the area around it too.

mimitabby
08-29-2006, 06:39 AM
I have got to say that measuring sit bones is one of the silliest things i've ever had to talk about (well, there's queefing)

I am a bony butt, so i decided i had to check with someone who isn't; so chose
my husband... can i find your sitting bones? please come sit on my hands.
he squealed and yelled OW! (he'd just ridden 50 miles) he said
"YOU GOOSED ME!"

the result of my scientific test was that i didn't have enough time to really
check... before he jumped away.
And i can't very well go up to strangers and ask them!

jacquisun
08-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Okay from the best I can tell using a quad-folded paper towel (cheap brand!) on a hard chair, It looks like center to center is somewhere around 5 1/4 inches or 135 mm (hopefully that equates?)

So I went to a bike catalog thinking I'd start seeing measurements to compare to . . . but none had it!
Jeez,
Anyway, thanks for the hlep out there
If this measurement means anything as far as a "good size seat" let me know

Trekhawk
08-29-2006, 06:30 PM
I have got to say that measuring sit bones is one of the silliest things i've ever had to talk about (well, there's queefing)

I am a bony butt, so i decided i had to check with someone who isn't; so chose
my husband... can i find your sitting bones? please come sit on my hands.
he squealed and yelled OW! (he'd just ridden 50 miles) he said
"YOU GOOSED ME!"

the result of my scientific test was that i didn't have enough time to really
check... before he jumped away.
And i can't very well go up to strangers and ask them!

LOL - too funny.:D :D

KnottedYet
08-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Jaquisun - take a look at www.wallbike.com That site sells Brooks, and I freely admit to being a member of the Brooks cult. But at least they have the length and width measurements of all their saddles!

My center-to-center measurements are already very wide. For choosing a saddle I will use my outer-edge to outer-edge measurement, because I'm not comfortable unless my entire bone is on the seat and has a little margin of error. (center to center I'm around 170-180 mm, outer to outer I'm around 200 mm)

pooks
08-31-2006, 05:23 AM
Since I learned that I don't have to have measurements to buy a Brooks b67 -- I'm going to test the waters of the Brooks cult!

Anything to forget about this measuring stuff!

DebW
08-31-2006, 06:36 PM
I've got a 30-year-old Avocet W-II that has been hurting my butt all these years. I just realized that the sore spot isn't my ischial tuberosities ("sit bones") all this time, it's forward and inside of that, my pubic rami (the bones that go from the sit bones, inside the legs toward the front "pubic bone").

I retired my Avocet W-II about 5 years ago. Like you said, the forward part of the saddle caused some discomfort since it is rounded and put the most pressure in the center of the pubic area. The W-II was an amazing saddle in it's day, but I've switched to one with a cutout. BTW, tried an Avocet O2 Air five years ago and hated it.

CyclChyk
09-07-2006, 06:37 PM
ok so once you kinda get a feel of your measurements (how embarassing was that??? My hubby watching the whole time...... the perv)..... how do you determine what is the best size for a seat?? If its just trial and error why even measure at all??

KnottedYet
09-07-2006, 07:45 PM
You look for a seat that is at minimum the width of the outer sit bone measurement.

That at least lets you know your bones will fit on the seat.

I know I like about 10mm beyond each bone for comfort, but I have very wide sit bones.

You can also measure the length of a seat you like the length of.

Then you have a width and length, and can compare potential seats to those measurements.

If you know whether you like pear-shaped seats or "T" shaped seats, well, that gives you another parameter.

Soft or firm? Sprung or unsprung? Leather or plastic? Cut-out or solid?

Use all that to narrow down the seats you are considering, then start trying seats.

I like 180-200mm wide, 245-260mm long, "T" shaped, firm saddles with no cut-out. Sprung is ok, but not crucial. I like leather cuz i sweat a lot.

Psiouxan
09-28-2009, 09:25 PM
measure from center to center of the indents...

A neat trick to puzzle out the "center" of your sit bone divets on your buttOmeter surface... roll a ball bearing (...or marble, etc.) into the hollow and they will find the center. I used my memory foam pillow (sans pillow "slip" so the ball wasn't sitting on a trampoline), and I got the same readings within 1mm 3 times! Now if only I could translate that to my Secret Saddle.

But being a true dirt fiend, I'm still uncertain how the plethora of road saddles are applicable to trail use. Or not. For all the trouble saddle makers go to for different features, they don't bother to let you know what they are for... ("we specialize in ALL makes and models...")

My old Serfas Arroyo was comfy on the longest rides until the last year when I got out of shape due to less training. I wonder how much one's sit bones can change over the years?

nscrbug
09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
A neat trick to puzzle out the "center" of your sit bone divets on your buttOmeter surface... roll a ball bearing (...or marble, etc.) into the hollow and they will find the center. I used my memory foam pillow (sans pillow "slip" so the ball wasn't sitting on a trampoline), and I got the same readings within 1mm 3 times! Now if only I could translate that to my Secret Saddle.

But being a true dirt fiend, I'm still uncertain how the plethora of road saddles are applicable to trail use. Or not. For all the trouble saddle makers go to for different features, they don't bother to let you know what they are for... ("we specialize in ALL makes and models...")

My old Serfas Arroyo was comfy on the longest rides until the last year when I got out of shape due to less training. I wonder how much one's sit bones can change over the years?

Wow...what a great idea! I never thought of doing that. I have a memory foam pillow, but it's one of those "contour" pillows that supports the neck...I wonder if I flipped it over to the "flat" side of it, if I could get an accurate measurement. I think I'll give it a try just for kicks.