PDA

View Full Version : Grrr . . . Weight Loss and Weather

Di bear
05-23-2008, 05:55 AM
Is anyone else having unusually cold weather this time of year? I know I live way up north and in the land of three to four feet of snow, but 40s and low 50s isn't exactly my idea of almost-June weather. Ugh.

This doesn't help my weight loss efforts. I crave "cold weather" foods that are more calorie dense and it's difficult to get outside to ride my goal number of hours. I try to hit at least eight and I'd like to work up to ten per week to facilitate weight loss.

Anyone else running into road blocks? How are you dealing with it?

OakLeaf
05-23-2008, 07:33 AM
To me, cold weather weight gain (and the food cravings that go along with it) has more to do with light than it does with temperature. Get outside as much as you can, even if it's just to walk around the block, or even take a blanket and sit in the car and read! Even on a cloudy day you'll have WAY more natural light outside than you do in the house.

Torrilin
05-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Is anyone else having unusually cold weather this time of year? I know I live way up north and in the land of three to four feet of snow, but 40s and low 50s isn't exactly my idea of almost-June weather. Ugh.

I know what you mean. I'm further south, but I don't think we've had a high over 65F this week... and most of my bike time it's been in the 50s. At *noon*.

I have a rain jacket that makes a nice windbreaker. It is very comfortable in this kind of weather. I've also got a wide selection of thin wool sweaters. Layering a sweater over a camisole, short sleeve T or long sleeve T works well... I figure out what to pick based on the predicted high temperature and how windy it is. I'm more comfortable in long pants, so I wear them. If a bike specific bottom is most comfortable for you, try layering it with running tights or using long knickers.

If you're warm and comfortable on the bike, it's easier to get out and ride. I'd rather take an extra layer and not need it than come back early because I was freezing.

I'm still craving nice hot meals. A bean or potato soup tastes *good* and warms me up without leaving me feeling stuffed. Spinach and other green salads aren't warm, but the *fresh* veggies make me feel good. And lettuce is definitely in season *g*.

Di bear
05-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Light is very important to me, but I've found my body is starting get back into cold-weather style again because I'm handling the cooler temperatures better than I was earlier this spring. It feels like I'm getting ready for winter.

I've been outside a lot. I also spend time in my green room working with my plants. I'm going out riding at 3 for about 3 hours cuz it'll be sunny and "warm" at 55 degrees. Overcast is one thing, but our cloud cover gets really thick and it gets really dark and it's just not something one feels like getting out in.

Comfort isn't an issue. I ride through snow in the winter. I'm just freakin' sick of having to wear layers. I wanna just be able to throw on some shorts and a jersey and get outside. With the cooler weather, it's such an ordeal finding all the layers, putting everything on, properly preparing for any unexpected weather (rain in the cold isn't good), blah blah blah. I'm just tired. Can you tell? ;)

Lake Superior needs to hurry up and get warm.

teawoman
05-23-2008, 09:12 AM
We are having a lot of rain :mad:...I'll run in the rain, but I don't like biking. I don't like what it does to my brakes.

I put my tights away last week and had to get them out yesterday 'coz it was cold in that rain.

Torrilin
05-24-2008, 04:49 AM
With the cooler weather, it's such an ordeal finding all the layers, putting everything on, properly preparing for any unexpected weather (rain in the cold isn't good), blah blah blah. I'm just tired. Can you tell? ;)

Yah :D

I guess for me it's not a big deal because I wear regular clothes on my bike. I have to have a shirt and pants on no matter what, so the grumbling is mostly cause I'd like to put the wool away. Hell, I got a basket for the new bike and one of the *best* uses of it is as a place to stick my rain jacket. I love my basket, even if it's not racy or cool looking.

If it makes you feel any better, I've still got winter gloves in my rain jacket. Almost needed 'em this morning too.

Crankin
05-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Well, here, even when it's been 65-75 during the day, it's still in the forties when I commute at 5:45 AM. That means tights, full finger gloves and a head cover under my helmet. I never put the cold weather stuff away!

Fujichants
05-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Its warm over here in So Cal (we have had some heat waves), and my appetite is still enormous.

I can't imagine what it would be like in the cold...

Try to fill up on soups (skip the creamy ones), drink lots of tea. It will make you feel fuller. Grab a handful of almonds. They are pretty dense and fill you up. Eat lots of high fiber foods as well, you'll feel fuller longer.

Instead of potatoes, try having a sweet potato. They are healthier. I know I crave mashed potatoes and anything potato when it gets cold...

shootingstar
05-24-2008, 12:07 PM
I think cold weather seasons...just prevents me from gorging on local fresh fruit that is available in the summer/fall.

Otherwise I don't really notice craving certain foods due to cold weather ....just problems of less cycling in cold weather season which causes weight gain.

We never make cream soups at home. Instead it's squash or carrort or beet soups. He is very creative on this front.. But basically you cut squash, lightly sautee it with carmelized onions, fresh smashe ginger root, even curry if you want it or throw in roasted peppers. Soup is thinned iwth a veggie broth..we use a powdered veggie soup mix to create it.

then all pureed. All healthy, filling and yummers!

I tned to make the fish broth or veggie broth soups (from scratch) for us.

OakLeaf
05-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Mmmm, squash soup.

Sometimes I puree tofu into carrot bisque, for creaminess and extra protein.