PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo, I did my first century.

Vicki
09-12-2002, 01:59 PM
Hi everyone,
I just have to tell. I completed my first century. Did it last sunday, Texas Coastal Cruise in Houston. Weather wasn't too hot. I had to ride about 10 miles in a heavy downpour, didn't like that too much. Had 2 flats. Wasn't too happy about that either but it happens. I was able to complete it in 7 hours. I really enjoyed doing it and can't wait till I do my next one.
If any of you out there are unsure if you can finish a century or any other distance ride, you can if you believe you can. I was a little unsure until I started the race. I wasn't sure if I was going to ride the 60 or the 100. When my husband said he was going to do it I said to myself that I would too. It was his first one also. He didn't know that I was riding that far since he rides faster than me. I came in 40 minutes behind him. Not to bad.

Happy riding to everyone.
:) Vicki

ayermail2
09-12-2002, 03:52 PM
Glad to hear you did so well!

Must've been really neat to come in after your husband with the news of having done the whole 100!! And only 40 minutes after him - that's only 11% more time than he took! (sorry about the math - can't help my self - I work at a bank!!!!)

You're getting me excited about my first century in November!:D

liner
09-12-2002, 05:47 PM
Congratulations!!!

My first one is coming up soon, Sep. 21. Any tips for us first-timers?

Liner

annette
09-13-2002, 04:55 AM
That is great! What was your longest ride before that?

Dogmama
09-14-2002, 07:18 PM
My suggestions for your first century:

Don't worry about your time. The goal is to finish it.

Take a break more often than you think you need. I like to stop at least once every 1.5 - 2.0 hours, just to straighten the back & eat something.

Stay hydrated!!

No riding for the couple of days before. This is your time to rest and get your legs ready.

The adrenaline will carry you further than you think.

Have fun!!

Kim

paintgirl
09-15-2002, 03:15 PM
Congrats on the century, it is such a feeling of accomplishment. I feel very lucky that I had no flats on my first century this summer, hearing you had 2. I don't even know how long I took to complete my first. I was just glad to finish. congrats again! paintgirl04

stella
09-15-2002, 05:13 PM
:cool: Congratulations on your first century, Vicki!
I just completed my firstlast week...it is a great feeling. The suggestions of staying hydrated, resting a couple of days before do work.
I use the following when I backpack that I do for cycling: Eat when you are not hungry, drink when you are not thirsty and take breaks when you are not tired.

diane
09-16-2002, 08:09 AM
Copngrats on finishing your first century. It is an amazing accomplishment. You are well entitled to pat yourself on the back many times.

And to the member getting ready for her first century this weekend, you can do this. Like was mentioned, take frequent rest stops, hydrate and munch enough fuel to keep you from bonking, and don't push it too fast. You have plenty of time to finish!! Good luck!!

diane
09-16-2002, 08:10 AM
Happy riding to everyone!! The most riding I have done this summer is 28 miles because I have been having chemotherapy for breat cancer. The chemo is over and this weekend will be three weeks since treatments and I feel GREAT. We are having a century here in NH too. I don't plan on riding the entire 100 but hope to do 50 - go me!! If anyone else is coming to the Seacoast Century in NH Saturday - I will be at the registration desk with a cute hat on. Stop by and say Hi!

ayermail2
09-16-2002, 03:28 PM
Diane - we're all rootin' for ya!! Let us know how you do!

Vicki
09-16-2002, 03:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the congrats.
I can't wait till my next one.

Annette: My longest ride before that was 65 miles. I just felt like it was time to try it.

Liner: My tips are drink plenty. Eat even while you are riding. I carried fig newtons. I just really like them but what ever you like will do the trick. Stop as often as you need to. I stop at all of the rest stops. I personally don't like to stop for very long when I do because my legs start to tighten up too much. Also believe in yourself and just know that you can do it. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Diane: Glad to hear that you are doing great. Good luck on your ride. Let us know how it goes. You go girl.

Ayermail2: Yea! I'm glad you are getting excited. It is a wonderful thrill. Good luck to you too. It is fun telling everyone about it afterwards too.

Stella: Congrats to you. Tell us about your ride. Will you be doing one again soon?

Happy riding everyone. Wish I could ride them with you.
Riding is so much fun. There is such a great sense of acomplishment whether we ride 20 miles or 100. Just knowing that we did it is great. I love to ride.

See ya, Vicki

:)

cityslicker
09-22-2002, 07:42 AM
Vicki,
Congrats! It must be a great feeling of accomplishment. I am doing my first on in two weeks in Florida. How many times did you stop to rest? Did you rest for only 5 minutes or longer?

Just curious thanks

stella
09-22-2002, 10:41 AM
Vicki-the ride was great! I rode the first half with a colleague from work, we went at an easy pace. She has ridden this century ride for the past 17 years. At the 50 mile mark we took a 30min lunch break. The second half went smoothly-we had wonderful weather and no problems with my bike. (The week before on my 75mile training ride my front tire went flat).
The training rides definately made a difference. The year before I rode for 75 of the 100 because I did not have the time to train and I felt it at the end of that ride. The 100mile was not painful. I just feel an incredible sense of accomplishment for finishing and look forward to more long distance rides!

Cityslicker-Good luck on your ride and have fun! :)
stella

diane
09-22-2002, 01:43 PM
Vicki & Ayermail - I accomplished my goal - kind of. I rode 26 miles Saturday after finishing up my shift at the registration desk but went back Sunday for another 35. I feel great right now! I know it took two days but yesterday was just a really long day!!! Thank you for cheering me on!

Cityslicker - where are you riding in Florida in two weeks. My husband and I are going to be down there and are planning on riding the Withlacoochie Rail Trail October 6. I can't wait!!

Happy pedaling everyone!! Today is so beautiful!!

Vicki
09-22-2002, 07:04 PM
cityslicker: It truly was a great sense of accomplishment. I am still riding on the high and I am ready to do another one. I rested at 5 of the 7 official rest stops. I always skip the first one and I didn't see any need to stop at the rest stop after I had my 2 flats. I had a long enough rest when I was fixing my flats. I would say my rests are for about 5 minutes. Just long enough to fill up my water bottles, drink whatever sportsdrink is there and eat something. Then I am off and going.

Just some friendly advice: Try to ride with other riders. Draft off of them as much as possible. After my flats I was all alone. I rode about 60 miles by myself and it was very lonely and hard at times. Good luck and I know you can do it.

Diane: Congrats on your ride. It encourages me to see everyone accomplishing their goals. Good luck on your next ride.

Stella: What do your legs feel like after you rest for 30 minutes? I don't think I could get back on my bike if I rested that long.

Vicki
:) Happy riding everyone.

cityslicker
09-23-2002, 04:02 AM
Diane,
I am riding in West Palm Beach on October 5th. I've been training with Team In Training, raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society I'll pray we both have good weather in Flordia that weekend! Good luck!

stella
09-23-2002, 10:24 AM
Vicki: The century I rode in has three scheduled breaks: 25mile, 50 and 75 mile. When I trained I took breaks at that point of the ride. The 30 minute "lunch break" felt fine, no problems with my legs. It gave me a chance to stretch out and check my bike. Like you, I am still on some type of "century ride high."

cityslicker: I hope for great weather for you on your century. Let us know how it goes!
stella