PDA

View Full Version : Banana Bread?????

trigurl
03-24-2005, 07:55 AM
I saw someone here said they made some banana bread with lots of nuts and goodies? can you send me the recipe? I am looking for a good wholesome recipe. Thanks

Jo-n-NY
03-24-2005, 11:37 AM
I also would not mind the recipe if you would like to share. I know sometimes recipes are family secrets. ~ Jo

SadieKate
03-24-2005, 11:49 AM
I think it was LBTC - she said she ate "1 slice of banana bread (loaded with nuts, raisins, fruit, and no sugar choc chips)"

This is making me hungry. Perhaps I should go find some lunch.

Biking Chick
03-24-2005, 11:59 AM
While this is not the recipe that was mentioned in the previous thread I thought I would share a fav banana bread recipe. Not everyone is a 'fan' of flaxseed but I like the nutty flavor it gives the bread. Store the flaxseed in an airtight container in the fridge. When I make this bread I use Splenda, egg substitute and soy flour but you can use regular sugar, eggs and all-purpose flour. You can also add nuts - I usually add 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of toasted walnuts to the batter.

Banana Date Flaxseed Bread

1/2 cup flaxseeds
2/3 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup Splenda
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 large eggs)
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or soy flour)
1/4 cup flaxseeds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole pitted dates, chopped
Cooking spray

1. Place 1/2 cup flaxseeds in a blender; process until ground to measure 3/4 cup flaxseed meal. Set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

3. Beat banana, sugar oil, and eggs at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, flaxseed meal, 1/4 cup flaxseeds, and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to sugar mixutre, beating until well-blended. Stir in dates. Spoon batter into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

LBTC
03-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Here it is, my recipe for

I don't know why I still call it banana bread:

Makes 3 loaves....easy to divide or multiply....

lightly grease pans and heat oven to 325 degree F.

In a very large mixing bowl, combine thoroughly (beat, even!):
3 cups mashed very ripe bananas
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups no fat sour cream
6 eggs

In a separate large mixing bowl, combine thoroughly:
2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
3 tsp baking powder
3 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp cloves
2 tbsp cinnamon

then add the fun stuff - I'm not good at measuring this stuff, tho...
to the dry bowl:
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup flaxseeds
2 cups cashews
2 cups no sugar added chocolate chips

to the "wet" bowl:
2 cups raisins
2 cups frozen cranberries
2 cups frozen blueberries
1/3 cup crystalized ginger

or anything else you want (love the idea of dates - next time! yum!)

pour the flour bowl into the wet bowl and mix only until combined

bake in the 3 loaf pans for 1 hour 20 minutes or until the tester comes out clean (hard to do with all those goodies in there!)

cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto rack to cool completely.

I freeze them and we snack on these for about 2 weeks.

Merry baking everyone!!

Namaste,
~T~

trigurl
03-25-2005, 05:48 AM
arrrrggggg, that makes me toooo hungry! :p I am sitting here at work drooling! Thanks both of you! My son said the other day he wanted some banana bread and I remember your mentioning this bread. My son won't eat it but I sure will. I have to make his with nothing but bananas in it, cept if I shred some squash he will never know its in there!

I will work on this this w/e. :D

Jo-n-NY
03-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Both recipes sound wonderful. Thank you for sharing. Now to start next weeks food shopping list.

~JoAnn

LBTC
03-25-2005, 11:44 AM
My son won't eat it... I have to make his with nothing but bananas in it

I've heard this before, a friend whose husband doesn't like anything in his banana bread....I told her to call it something else then! ;)

Namaste,
~T~

CorsairMac
03-25-2005, 01:50 PM
I've heard this before, a friend whose husband doesn't like anything in his banana bread....I told her to call it something else then! ;)

Namaste,
~T~

Boring Banana Bread maybe? :rolleyes: