PDA

View Full Version : Stain Removers

SadieKate
03-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Anyone tried OxiClean on a colored jersey? I have an almost brand new Terry jersey, bright yellow, with a small spot on the back. It looks like bike grease. I've tried Zout and Shout. Neither worked. Will the Oxiclean take the color out? Should I try anything else? I've tried Simple Green in the past on the theory that it is a degreaser, but it didn't work either.

Any suggestions? It's a solid color jersey that I wear only on the road so no hydration pack to cover up the stain. :mad:

Thanks for your help!

SadieKate
03-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Ah, a little search of this site might have helped. I'm off to go try the Dawn sitting not only beside our sink but also out with the bike washing stuff in the garage. If anyone has another magic solution let me know.

yellow
03-24-2005, 10:46 AM
I just saw this website by accident (it was linked to a blog I read when I need cheering up) and remembered you post:

http://www.howtocleananything.com/

I don't know if it'll help you in this case, but I figure it's worth bookmarking!

How did the Dawn work?

y

SadieKate
03-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Huh? The database said "dry-cleaning fluid." I didn't even know you could buy the stuff. Isn't it really nasty stuff?

The other TE posts I found said to soak in Dawn a couple days. I forgot to check this morning. The jersey is a beautiful bright yellow (the Terry Sun Goddess) so I know you'd want it rescued. :)

CorsairMac
03-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Be careful on the dry-cleaning fluid. I had some of that once and used it on a wool dress to remove a grease stain and the fluid left a discoloured spot. I don't know if it didn't react well with the material or the stain or if I used it wrong but it ruined the dress.

SadieKate
03-26-2005, 02:39 PM
The Dawn didn't work :mad: . So, has anyone used Oxiclean? It's not like a jersey has an inconspicuous place to test it.

annie
03-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Haven't used oxi-clean so can't advise. :confused:
But here's one other idea. Try shampoo - whatever type you use on your hair. Rub it in with a little water. Let it sit for a bit, then gently scrub the spot with a small handbrush or even a toothbrush (if it's one with stiff bristles). Add a little more shampoo and water till you get some good suds. Rinse well.
:::::::keeping fingers crossed that it works::::::::::::::

annie

bikerchic
03-26-2005, 10:31 PM
.....awww hate to say it Sadie but if you've already treated the stain and washed the jersey the stain is probably set in.

Don't fret it's very stylish to have grease stains on your body, clothes and bike when you're a hardcore biker! ;) Just look at it this way, you're in style!

Shortly after I started biking I gave up on having grease free clothes, nails and legs, I'm stylin'! :)

SadieKate
03-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. Clairol Herbal Essence didn't work (I'll be sure call their consumer line and complain :p ). I think I'll try the Oxyclean on old shop rag just to see if OxyClean will take out bicycle grease at all. Then, we'll worry if I want to apply to a jersey.

I don't mind grease on my mtb stuff, but I do on my roadie stuff because it's the light colored clothing. It's right on the middle of my back right where I'm sure everyone is going to point fingers and talk about it. ;)

spazzdog
03-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Tell 'em you got shot... and then tell 'em the shooter didn't survive.

Hell hath no fury like a woman whose cycling togs have been sullied!

SadieKate
03-28-2005, 03:20 PM
You are on a roll with the witty advice!

The spot is only 1/8" across. Do I need another story? ;)

Sadie "the prima donna" Kate

spazzdog
03-28-2005, 03:22 PM
small caliber bullet.

Packing brings out the "wit" in me... dim "wit", half "wit", nit "wit"

spazz

p.s. check out Irulan's site or send her a msg. She's the "Hints from Helouise" on cycling jerseys.

SadieKate
03-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Packing brings out the "wit" in me... dim "wit", half "wit", nit "wit"

spazz

Ha! My brother calls my parents' 3 toy poodles the Wit Sisters: Dim, etc., etc.

annie
03-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Clairol Herbal Essence didn't work (I'll be sure call their consumer line and complain :p ).

Oh well, at least the jersey smells fresh! :rolleyes: ;)

annie

CorsairMac
03-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. Clairol Herbal Essence didn't work (I'll be sure call their consumer line and complain :p ). I think I'll try the Oxyclean on old shop rag just to see if OxyClean will take out bicycle grease at all. Then, we'll worry if I want to apply to a jersey.

I don't mind grease on my mtb stuff, but I do on my roadie stuff because it's the light colored clothing. It's right on the middle of my back right where I'm sure everyone is going to point fingers and talk about it. ;)

I'm guessing a spot on the back of your jersey is kinda like the look of the backs of our knees. While You might know it's there - the people riding with you sure as heck ain't gonna be looking at the middle of your back! and if they do and have time to point it out - I don't wanna be riding with them coz that means they ain't paying attention!! :p

course, Now that you've brought it up here - I'm sure the next time you TE ladies ride - EVERYONE from here And their DHs will be looking for it! :eek:

ctwirlee
03-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Oxiclean is great to get red wine out of the carpet when the dog tips over your glass, but....
The only thing I've found that gets bike grease out is Greased Lightening. Haven't had it stain anything.

spazzdog
03-29-2005, 01:03 PM
To be perfectly honest, I don't worry abt the grease. If it comes out, great... if not, oh well.

My favoritest (and oldest) jersey has grease spots all over it (a wreck where me and my chain ring had more contact than should have been possible).

I recently had it altered... turned it into a sleeveless. Grease spots and all.

As to Oxyclean... I stopped using the stuff. It didn't work on anything I threw it. I now use Zout! Spray it on, throw it in the wash. Presto! Though I haven't tried it on a grease spot.