PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for a Metric Century

HillSlugger
05-18-2008, 10:14 AM
I have a metric century coming up in 3 weeks. I've done 800+ miles this year, but much of it was shorter distances as I got ready for a sprint triathlon in April. Since then I've been ramping up my riding, trying to get ready for this event. 2 weeks ago I rode 30 miles and it felt great and easy. Last week I rode 40 miles in some strong winds and I felt grateful to even finish. Yesterday's 42 mile ride was similar. I can't imagine riding an additional 20 miles under similar conditions. I'm starting to have real concerns about being able to finish this ride. I've got 2 more weekends to train for this. I am planning to keep next weekend's ride around 30-40 miles because I have a 4 mile running race on the 26th, but then do about 50 miles on the last day of May.

Any training suggestions or ways to gain more confidence for my metric century ride?

malkin
05-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Take more breaks earlier on than you usually do, and take later breaks as you need to.
Eat, drink and be merry, and all will be well!

Finished a century yesterday (on tandem), and prior to that our longest ride had been just under 70.

alpinerabbit
05-18-2008, 01:04 PM
It's "only 10 miles more" than that 50. You'll have to do the full monty someday... even if it's the day - grit your teeth?

You can do it. Fuel up towards the end and you'll get there.

Can you make one of those 30-40 milers more hilly? That should do it.

7rider
05-19-2008, 05:34 AM
MDHS...
Do you do your training rides alone? How often did you stop, get off the bike, walk around, eat??
Will you be doing the metric alone? Even if you go by yourself...for a group ride you are never really "alone." I think if you can do 42 miles in pretty snotty weather solo....you can handle a group metric with stops and people.
Personally, I get really bored on 40 mile solo rides, which makes those rides painful. I find the social aspect of group rides help make the miles go by much more quickly. You (1) focus on stop to stop, rather than "OMG, I gotta do 62 miles!!" and (2) chat with folks, ride group to group, get on the wheel (with their okay) of a group moving at a nice clip. There are sort of "rides within the ride" that keep you motivated.
I think you'll do fine.

HillSlugger
05-19-2008, 06:09 AM
MDHS...
Do you do your training rides alone? How often did you stop, get off the bike, walk around, eat??
Will you be doing the metric alone?

I've been doing all of training rides alone. I know when I ride alone that I don't do well at laying back and taking it easy. I definitely need company for that. I'm not riding with anyone, but hopefully I won't be alone. I have no idea how many will sign up for this length. It replaces their old 75 miler; last year there were less than 20 on that ride. Hopefully this will be a more popular choice. It was my suggestion that they make this change so I'm hoping it will be a success!

I generally try to stop about once every hour. On Saturday I stopped at 13, 26, and 35 miles to eat, drink, walk, pee. The rest stops for the metric are at 14, 22, 28, 42, and 55 so that should work out pretty well for me. I don't understand why there's a 22 and a 28; I'm thinking I'd skip the 22 unless I'm having issues.

OakLeaf
05-19-2008, 06:36 AM
You'll be fine. There's so much added motivation from having other people around. Just take it easy (although really, with the miles you have under your belt already, it doesn't sound like you NEED to take it easy, just it might be more fun if you do). It sounds like it's a really well-supported ride with so many food stops!

alpinerabbit
05-19-2008, 07:45 AM
What she said.

I usually ramp up from sub-50 K to 100-and-a-bit in the week in Mallorca mid-March, with only a few rides before. This year I actually had like 400K (trainer&outdoor) or so in my legs before Mallorca, last year, waaay less.

Usually, that is in the past 2 years. Like I'm this seasoned cyclist.

HillSlugger
05-20-2008, 07:22 AM
By the way, the day before this last 42 miler I did a bike commute (Bike to Work Day) 20 miles round trip. How might that factor in to predicting my readiness for the metric?

LBTC
05-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Since I'm just 6 months into being well again after 2 lost seasons to illness, I haven't commited to doing the 100K at next Sunday's metric century, or the 56k. I'm leaving that decision for that morning, depending on a lot of factors.

But I'm glad I read your thread! I had been thinking I would not be stopping on the group ride! I hadn't even thought about it.... :p Throw a few stops in, and I feel even more confident about the 100K!! And yesterday was my longest ride yet this year - the 56 k route for next week's ride. It was no problem at all, even with the wrist splint! :)

Oh, and the 22 and 28 mile stops may be so close together because of terrain - perhaps there is a hill or two in there?

I'll let you know how mine goes.

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

HillSlugger
05-24-2008, 12:12 PM
I got out today and did another 40 miler. Again, it was windy but at least today it wasn't all headwind. It was still difficult, and I'm having a shorts or saddle issue that kicks in after 30 miles. I've got one more long ride (50 miles) next Saturday to try to get it sorted out. I'm riding on a Terry Liberator Race Gel. My race bike has the same saddle, but without the gel. My commuter has a Terry Liberator Gel. I'm thinking of trying the commuter's saddle but bring the race saddle along on the ride to switch off to if I have to.

Any suggestions or wisdom?

kelownagirl
05-24-2008, 12:44 PM
I use cream on rides that are longer than 40-50 miles.

I have only done one 60km ride this season so far and I have my 100k tomorrow. Yikes.

HillSlugger
05-31-2008, 01:21 PM
I got out for a 50 mile ride today. This will be my last training ride for my metric century next Sunday. I got rained on for 20 of the 50 miles but it was actually a good ride. One objective today was to resolve my saddle/shorts issue. I used the saddle from my race bike, stood on the pedals frequently, stopped every 10-12 miles, and slathered on chamois Buttr at the pee breaks and it worked out pretty well.

Between the strong winds I fought the last several weeks and the rain today I feel like there's little else the ride next week can throw at me.

Mr. SR500
05-31-2008, 05:08 PM
You'll be fine! if you already are getting 40+, you can make it to a metric with ease.

Geonz
06-05-2008, 06:54 AM
If you back off the speed just a tetch... you'll simply wonder what in tarnation you were ever worried about. HOnest. You could do 75 :)

HillSlugger
06-05-2008, 02:06 PM
If you back off the speed just a tetch... you'll simply wonder what in tarnation you were ever worried about. HOnest. You could do 75 :)

Yeah, I'm not good at backing off when I'm riding alone. Hopefully, there will be enough other riders around to pace me properly.

kelownagirl
06-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I'm not good at backing off when I'm riding alone. Hopefully, there will be enough other riders around to pace me properly.

LOL, it was keeping up with the pace of the other riders that made my century so difficult.

HillSlugger
06-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I completed the metric today, but it was hard. The route had a goodly amount of climbing, but the hardest thing was that my saddle/shorts issue was back. I had a lot of pressure and my toes would go numb. I stood on the pedals as much as possible and stopped at every rest stop. I don't think long distance riding is really my thing ;) :rolleyes:

kelownagirl
06-15-2008, 09:51 PM
I've been watching for your post but missed this! My toes start to get a little numb on long rides too.

Sorry it wasn't 'your thing' but good for you for trying it! Maybe next time you'll enjoy it more.