PDA

View Full Version : The Lone Star Ride Fighting AIDS

BarbaraAlys
05-18-2008, 06:47 AM
SADDLE UP FOR TWO DAYS OF BIG FUN, BIG ADVENTURE AND A REALLY BIG CAUSE!
September 27 & 28, 2008
Lone Star Ride is a two-day cycling adventure through scenic country roads and two great Texas cities. We start out Saturday, September 27, in "Big D" outside the Channel 8 studios at Victory Plaza and ride west through rolling contryside to Glen Rose, Texas. Sunday we rise early for the shorter final leg into Fort Worth. Our goal is to raise money to fight AIDS and support those affected by HIV/AIDS. For both riders and crewmembers, it's a great way to meet new friends and have a lot of fun while supporting a serious cause. With hilarious pit stops, an evening party and live entertainment, it's an unforgettable cycling experience.

Ride! With different mileage options, pit stops every 10-15 miles and a spirited and fun SAG wagon to help you get to the next stop when you need a break, everyone can hit the trail on Lone Star Ride, whether seasoned rider or those who've not been on a bike in years. We'll support you all the way, including helping you meet - and exceed - the $500 minimum fundraising goal. Want to ride, but don't have a bike? We've got you covered. Check the web site, http://www.lonestarride.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=265911, for information on how to get a free bike through Loan Star Locker. Have a bike and/or equipment you'd like to donate so others can ride? You can find information on donations at the web site as well.

100 % of donations go to the beneficiaries, not any of it to the organizing of the ride. I did this ride last year at it was the most fun I've had on two wheels!

Barbara

OakLeaf
05-18-2008, 07:27 AM
My sister does that ride every year, and I'm probably going to be riding with her this fall. Just haven't quite got the nerve to pull the trigger yet...

BarbaraAlys
05-19-2008, 08:45 AM
You ought to, it was a ton of fun last year, even with getting my hand closed in a truck door!

There is a training ride coming up in June, the date is 6/7, but there is no other info yet. I did the training ride in March and it was great. We started at White Rock Lake, tootled around up through Oak Cliff, then looped around again back to White Rock Lake. Only 22 miles, but it was a blast.

I'm not a strong rider, slow and even slower on hills, but I hope to do the whole 170 miles this fall.

Hope to see you out there!

Barbara

OakLeaf
05-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm not local, that's the only reason I'm hesitating. I'd have to figure out how to get me and my bike there from Ohio. It's a long drive by myself, and shipping my bike kind of scares me.

So anyway I won't be on any of the organized training rides out there, but have fun!

Yikes on the truck door! That doesn't sound like much fun at all!

BarbaraAlys
06-08-2008, 11:32 AM
I did the training ride yesterday and it was great. The training rides are in part to give the crew a chance to figure out what they are doing, and they are just fantastic. Yesterday was 30 miles through a hilly area in mid-citeis, between Fort Worth and Dallas. It was great!

Barbara