PDA

View Full Version : Blue, Bianchi, Redline...best value? Help me decide!

celerystalksme
05-16-2008, 09:11 PM
alright...i think i have fit issues worked out. these bikes all fit pretty well. now i just have to choose a bike. this will be my first cx bike...my first foray into cyclocross. i want a decent bike...but i'm not rich so i want a good value. i do NOT want to spend more than $2000.

what's the best value (in your opinion, of course)?

Blue CX6.5 (used, "like new") $1000: double butted 7005 AL frame, aerus carbon fork, carbon seatpost, mavis aksium wheels, chris king headset, 105 groupset, truvativ crankset, avid shorty six, fsa handlebars

Redline Conquest (used, "like new") $650: double butted 6061 AL frame, U6 alloy fork, ritchey road seatpost, ritchey comp road wheel set, steel threadless headset, fsa compact crank, tiagra front derailleur, 105 rear derailleur, tiagra shifter, tektro oryx brakes, tektro rl 726 brake lever, ritchey road comp stem

Redline Conquest Pro (new) $1400: U6 double butted allo frame, carbon fiber fork, fsa carbon wrap seatpost, ritchey pro wheelset, SRAM Rival derailleurs, SRAM Rival brifters, fsa gossamer crank, avid shorty canti', tektro rl 721 brake levers, fsa stem and bar.

Bianchi Axis (new) $1200: Easton 7005 UltraLite Al frame, carbon fork, LX rear derailleur, tiagra front, tiagra brifters, LX compact crank, avid shorty 4 cantis, carbon seat post, Mavic CXP-22 alloy wheelset, Deda Piega bar, alloy stem.

Bianchi Cross Concept (new) $2000: scandium 7000 frame with carbon rear triangle, carbon fork, ultegra rear derailleur, 105 front, 105 brifters, fsa gossamer crank, avid shorty 4 canti's, carbon seatpost, Mavic Aksium, Deda Piega bars.

KnottedYet
05-16-2008, 09:19 PM
They're all at least main-tube aluminum. Do you like aluminum?
(scandium is aluminum)

I'd worry about the Conquest with the alu fork ("alloy" is aluminum) but there are plenty of steel or carbon forks out there you can replace it with if you are concerned about fragility and dependability.

celerystalksme
05-17-2008, 04:13 AM
They're all at least main-tube aluminum. Do you like aluminum?
(scandium is aluminum)

I'd worry about the Conquest with the alu fork ("alloy" is aluminum) but there are plenty of steel or carbon forks out there you can replace it with if you are concerned about fragility and dependability.

aluminum is fine. i think it's suitable for cx.

Velobambina
05-17-2008, 04:20 AM
Which bike fits and feels best?

I'd go for either of the Bianchis. I have one (steel, not aluminum) and it's great bike.

mimitabby
05-17-2008, 05:29 AM
Bianchi holds its value. If you ever want to upgrade or just sell that bike, you will be better off with the Bianchi, all other things being equal. I bought one off Ebay for $700 (older model) and sold it more than a year later for $650 to a nice kid.

VeloVT
05-17-2008, 06:48 AM
Hmmm... lots of information there...

--I'd stay away from the Conquest (the lower-end used one). That frame is going to be heavier and less stiff. I actually rode a low-end conquest that was quite sluggish feeling. Also I believe those Tektro brakes are not as good as the Avids.

--Generally, I'd want to stay at least at 105, especially for the front derailleur (why is it that they always put higher quality rear der's on, when it makes much more difference in front?).

--I wouldn't get hung up about small things like seatposts and handlebars; not only do these not cost much to change, but you may end up needing something different than what comes stock anyway. Carbon seatposts sort of fall into the "bling" category -- and I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to have one for cross anyway.

--One thing I would look at is gear ratios. While you certainly can swap out cranks and cassettes, it can get a little pricey and you'd want to figure that into the final cost. I would definitely compare the gear ranges and try to figure out what you want. That Axis has an LX rear der -- does it have a big huge cassette in back? Are the compact cranks standard road compacts (50/34) or something more like 46/36? Etc...

--That Cross Concept looks pretty sweet :rolleyes:...I'd be tempted. Blue looks nice also, and the Conquest Pro seems fine too. They downgraded the components on the Axis to Tiagra (my 2005 Axis has 105), and that would be a negative for me.

--I guess other than this, I would take each of them for a nice long test ride if you can (at least 30 min). Each one will have different ride characteristics, and you will have preferences. This is probably as important as the other stuff.

Good luck! Glad you were able to find some bikes that fit.

celerystalksme
05-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Hmmm... lots of information there...

--I'd stay away from the Conquest (the lower-end used one). That frame is going to be heavier and less stiff. I actually rode a low-end conquest that was quite sluggish feeling. Also I believe those Tektro brakes are not as good as the Avids.

--Generally, I'd want to stay at least at 105, especially for the front derailleur (why is it that they always put higher quality rear der's on, when it makes much more difference in front?).

--I wouldn't get hung up about small things like seatposts and handlebars; not only do these not cost much to change, but you may end up needing something different than what comes stock anyway. Carbon seatposts sort of fall into the "bling" category -- and I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to have one for cross anyway.

--One thing I would look at is gear ratios. While you certainly can swap out cranks and cassettes, it can get a little pricey and you'd want to figure that into the final cost. I would definitely compare the gear ranges and try to figure out what you want. That Axis has an LX rear der -- does it have a big huge cassette in back? Are the compact cranks standard road compacts (50/34) or something more like 46/36? Etc...

--That Cross Concept looks pretty sweet :rolleyes:...I'd be tempted. Blue looks nice also, and the Conquest Pro seems fine too. They downgraded the components on the Axis to Tiagra (my 2005 Axis has 105), and that would be a negative for me.

--I guess other than this, I would take each of them for a nice long test ride if you can (at least 30 min). Each one will have different ride characteristics, and you will have preferences. This is probably as important as the other stuff.

Good luck! Glad you were able to find some bikes that fit.

gearing...

blue cx6.5: 46/36 crank, 12-27 cassette
redline conquest: 46/36 crank, 12-25 cassette
redline conquest pro: 46/36 crank, 12-27 cassette
bianchi axis: 50/36 crank, 11-32 cassette
bianchi cross concept: 46/36 crank, 12-25 cassette

what is the most preferable to cross racing?

VeloVT
05-18-2008, 06:11 AM
I'm not the most qualified person to answer that question (I'm sort of in the same position you are, want to try cross racing this fall for the first time, but I already have the bike).

You might find this thread interesting though. I asked for input on gearing and got some useful feedback from women who race:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=22429

celerystalksme
05-18-2008, 11:54 AM
i'm leaning towards the blue...i can now get it for $900. but...does anyone know if i could get the bianchi cross concept as frame and fork only?

SheFly
05-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Given what you have posted, I think the Blue is the best value for your money. You need to think about the components of a 'cross bike almost as much (if not more) than the frame. The components on the Blue are fairly good, and the wheelset is actually quite good for that price. I run Ksyriums on both of my race bikes for 'cross, and really like them.

The steel Bianchis are going to be much heavier. You might not notice this as you just get into racing, but I have done everything that I can to get my 'cross bike as light as possible - not only for riding, but for when I have to carry it.

For gearing, I run a single 42 chainring in the front, with an MTB cassette in the rear. This gearing has worked well for me in New England races. I do run a double on my pit bike, but I use that more for riding around town...

Again, from my perspective, the best value seems to be the Blue. Good luck whatever you decide.

SheFly

VeloVT
05-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Shefly is probably right about the Blue -- but just to clarify, neither Bianchi is steel. Bianchi does (did?) make a cross-inspired steel bike, the Volpe, that was kind of set up for touring (and the one I test rode was really heavy!) -- but both of these are aluminum bikes with carbon forks.

SheFly
05-20-2008, 09:15 AM
DOH! Thanks, Liza, for catching that. Not sure how I got that into my head about the Bianchis...

Still think the Blue is the best value for the $$$ regardless!

SheFly