PDA

View Full Version : My commuting partner got taken out.

7rider
05-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Yesterday (tuesday), I had to take my truck to work for a post-work doctor's appointment. Ironically, I was giving a presentation on bike commuting and brought my bike with me for a little show-and-tell. After the presentation, I left my bike in its locker overnight and figured I would ride it home tonight (wednesday).

This morning...my friend and commuting partner, Terry, parked his truck at my house - per usual - for his ride into work. I saw him leave about 7:15 a.m. and called out the front door to him to tease him for being late and to wish him a good ride. I was bummed I couldn't ride in with him.

About a half hour later..DH is surfing the net before jumping into the shower. We hear the non-stop wail of police sirens nearby. DH checks the traffic websites and the local traffic cameras, looking for the problem, but finds nothing. Later, I'm getting ready to shut down the computer and see that the traffic camera site is still up on the screen. I refresh the camera down the street. A police car is blocking the street not letting any cars pass. Crap. That's the street that Terry just rode down. 2+2 = big worry. I call Terry's cell. No answer. Leave a message, "Call me. I'm worried." I call his office phone. No answer. Leave a message. "Where are you? Call me." "Stop worrying," DH says.

I get on the subway. I get off at my office and go to the garage where Terry parks his bike. It's not there. Now, I'm completely freaking out.

I debate calling his wife. Should I worry her unnecessarily? A half hour later, I get a call from a co-worker of Terry's. Terry's wife called him. The police had been banging on her door an hour ago. She's on her way to the hospital.

"Terry had a stroke, fell from his bike," he said. Holy CRAP! If only I had been there with him. If only....if only.... I can't concentrate. I'm a total basket case. I got a call from Terry's wife. They have him heavily sedated...going in for a SECOND CAT scan. They're in ICU. They're not sure about the stroke.

So many questions. No answers.

I talk to Terry's wife tonight. Good news: No stroke. Bleeding and bruising in the brain (yes, he was wearing a helmet), a broken rib, but there was no stroke. They are keeping him sedated and monitoring him for swelling on the brain. So far...so good. The police said a motorist found him on the ground on the side of the road and stopped and called 9-1-1. Bad news: The police said the injuries were more consistent with being struck by a car. Minimal damage appears on the bike, but they feel he was clipped in the rear by a car. Or, he swerved to avoid it and went down. There was no car around when the person called 9-1-1. Hit-and-run. Now I'm just angry.

DH and I went and drove the street tonight before sunset. We could see the white marks on the road where police had lit flares around him. It was right at the intersection of a small side street that comes out from your right. We know that intersection well. It's beyond "extremely hazardous." Cars come out of there - a rolling stop - and stick their noses well into the oncoming traffic before bursting out. It's the site of many near-misses. And, it's at the bottom of a downhill, where a cyclist in the broad shoulder can get up a good head of steam.

I don't know how to end this. It's a developing story. Oh, how I wish I were there with him. I could have yelled to the car "Head's up!" or we would have left earlier, so he never would have been there in the first place. or....

So, I guess I'll just end this with the trite: "Be careful out there. Please."

Blueberry
05-14-2008, 04:59 PM
(((((((7rider)))))))))
(((((((Terry & Family))))))))

pll
05-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Hope he pulls through OK.

OakLeaf
05-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Hugs and prayers.

lph
05-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Oh no, I hate when something happens to my fellow commuters!

hang in there, be strong.

Tuckervill
05-15-2008, 04:26 AM
Hoping he turns out okay, and they find the driver who hit him! Maybe the guys on a traffic camera!

You can't beat yourself up about not being there, hon. These things just happen.

Karen

divingbiker
05-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Wow, Regina, that's awful. It's a good reminder that we always need to be vigilant. Cars coming out of streets on the right scare me about twice every commute.

Hang in there, and let us know how Terry's condition progresses.

RoadRaven
05-15-2008, 10:18 AM
(((((((((((Seven)))))))))))))

I am anticipating your next instalment which will tell us
1. He is doing ok
2. They have found the wan*er who did this

I am VERY angry too...

Possegal
05-15-2008, 10:54 AM
I heard this on the news that day and found myself worrying it was one of you folks. How awful for your friend! Continued prayers for a quick recovery for him. And you take care too, don't beat yourself up for things you can not change.

imdeanna
05-15-2008, 01:14 PM
OMGosh that is horrible!!.......Sending healing vibes for your friend.....

Let us know how he's doing!!! Hopefully when they take him off heavy sedation he can let everyone know what happened!

Grog
05-15-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm thinking about the two of you. Healing thoughts your way...

spokewench
05-15-2008, 02:42 PM
That is just horrible - i'm thinking of you and Terry and his wife.

Trigress
05-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Good heavens, I'm sorry to hear this. Seeing maniac drivers every time we're out (passed with a foot's clearing yesterday), it's all too obvious that accidents will happen, and my sympathies go to all those who are not fortunate enough to escape impact.

Keep us posted, and my regards to your friend.

7rider
05-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks all.
Got good news from Terry's wife.
She was laughing and giddy -- the best she's sounded all week.
They took Terry off the ventilator and he's breathing on his own now. He does have an oxygen mask for some additional support, but that's doing okay.
They also took off the restraints. Evidently, he would come 'round and start trying to rip tubes out, so they had to restrain him (!). But those are gone now too, and they're letting him come slowly out of the sedation. Pain meds will probably be with him for a while, however.
So...things are looking up. DH and I plan to go visit him tonight. I picked up his package o' goodies from the Bike to Work Day pit stop, so I'll go bearing gifts for him. Don't know if he'll want to give up on the bikes, tho (I hope not).

Geonz
05-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Please keep us posted. Many prayers here.

Aint Doody
05-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I just feel compelled to say something, but all I can think of is "I'm so, so, so sorry." But I'm glad to hear of the improvements. Good wishes coming your way........

Tuckervill
05-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Yeah, so how's he doing now? Hope he's better!

Karen

7rider
05-20-2008, 02:51 AM
Unfortunately, not so good. Evidently, he had a rough weekend, and it was pretty much all about his lungs.
His wife seems to put on a brave front when I talk to her...barely.
She said taking him off the ventilator was "too much, too soon." He wasn't expanding his lungs fully, the upper right lobe by the rib and collarbone breaks collapsed and he's developed a bit of pneumonia. The "gunk" in his lungs is a gram negative bacteria and Staphylococcus aureus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staphylococcus_aureus). That worries me. A lot. His wife feels they are treating it appropriately. So, he's back on the ventilator. She said she got to "speak" to him for about 8 minutes on Saturday. But "speaking" when you're on a ventilator is pretty one-sided and ultimately he was uncomfortable enough that they knocked him out again.
But saturday was the last CAT scan they felt they "had" to do and the brain injury appears to be on the mend.
Thanks for the continued good wishes. I really hope we all see a light at the end of this tunnel really soon.

Tuckervill
05-20-2008, 03:58 AM
I hope they beat the pneumonia quick. My father-in-law went in for a procedure, but ended up with 6 weeks in the ICU because of his lungs and pneumonia like that. Wouldn't have had it if he hadn't been in the hospital!

Continuing hope for a speedy recovery!
Karen

wackyjacky1
05-20-2008, 03:45 PM
My prayers and best wishes for a full recovery go out to your friend.

My dad contracted pneumonia while in the hospital a couple of years ago. It was really bad, but they gave him massive doses of several kinds of antibiotics and that did the trick. He got over the worst part of it in about a week.

imdeanna
05-20-2008, 03:49 PM
7Rider...

Have they been able to find out if he was struck by a car? or if it was some sort of medical issue that caused this??

My thoughts are still going out to him and his family!

7rider
05-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Have they been able to find out if he was struck by a car? or if it was some sort of medical issue that caused this??

My thoughts are still going out to him and his family!

Thanks, imdeanna.

They ruled out a stroke. Actually, we have no idea if he got hit by (or hit) a car or if something else happened. He could have hit a rock, a squirrel, a deer, had a rear tire blowout. Anything. I tend to favor the car-theory for several reasons (no road rash, and he may be slow, but Terry's an excellent bike handler and I can't imagine him being taken out by an errant rock in the road or even a blowout - especially with such dire consequences.) Terry hasn't been able to talk. Most of the discussions with him (that I know of) have been of the "Are you in pain?" "How badly do you hurt?" sort of things.

mimitabby
05-20-2008, 04:25 PM
I guess in his case, the fact that he's still alive is good news at this point. My husband is a great and strong rider, but when he hit a rock at 20mph, there was nothing he could do; in fact, he didn't know anything was wrong until he collided with the jersey barrier and broke 3 ribs.
Even great riders make mistakes. Thanks for the periodic updates, we're all routing for him!

7rider
05-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah, Mimi. I know you're right, of course.
I keep coming back to the "But where is his road rash?"
And kicking myself for not being there with him...but that's a different story.

mimitabby
05-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Raleighdon didn't get any road rash. he actually flew through the air ! (we still have the rock) he was lucky, he was riding with other people....
but your guy sure could have been hit by a car too.

imdeanna
05-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah, Mimi. I know you're right, of course.
I keep coming back to the "But where is his road rash?"
And kicking myself for not being there with him...but that's a different story.

Don't beat yourself up.....maybe you weren't with him that day for a reason....ya know??

What if that 'unknown' something would have happened to you too? Maybe you wouldn't have made it ..... Maybe you were meant to be with him NOW...vs then...

I'm sorry you feel guilt....I can't imagine how I would feel if I were in your shoes....(I'm sure the same way).... and if I did....what you would say to me.... ??

Geonz
05-21-2008, 12:08 PM
And... could have had road rash with a car strike, too. But still, I would think there would be ways to make a reasonably assertion. r?

7rider
05-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Today is 2 weeks since the accident. Terry is still in ICU. His wife is starting to talk about long-term rehabilitation, comparing time frames with hemorrhagic stroke rehab (i.e., we're talking up to a year or more here). She's really stressing....misses his husband tremendously. The head injury is so much more than just ringing your bell good. She's trying to see progress where she can...and her daughters are helpful for that, I think. But it is so slow.
Crap, crap, crap. I feel worse today than I did earlier this week.

OakLeaf
05-28-2008, 07:18 PM
:(:( ((((((((7rider, Terry & family))))))))

prayers continue.

Tuckervill
05-29-2008, 04:36 AM
It may be too soon for this, but I've been hearing about a book called "My Stroke of Insight". I was impressed hearing this woman on the radio, that one shouldn't give up hope altogether on stroke and brain-injured victims.

I'm sending vibes for your friend and his wife. The grief she must have!

Here's the description from Amazon.com

A brain scientist's journey from a debilitating stroke to full recovery becomes an inspiring exploration of human consciousness and its possibilities

On the morning of December 10, 1996, Jill Bolte Taylor, a thirty-seven-year-old Harvard-trained brain scientist, experienced a massive stroke when a blood vessel exploded in the left side of her brain. A neuroanatomist by profession, she observed her own mind completely deteriorate to the point that she could not walk, talk, read, write, or recall any of her life, all within the space of four brief hours. As the damaged left side of her brain--the rational, grounded, detail- and time-oriented side--swung in and out of function, Taylor alternated between two distinct and opposite realties: the euphoric nirvana of the intuitive and kinesthetic right brain, in which she felt a sense of complete well-being and peace; and the logical, sequential left brain, which recognized Jill was having a stroke, and enabled her to seek help before she was lost completely.

In My Stroke of Insight, Taylor shares her unique perspective on the brain and its capacity for recovery, and the sense of omniscient understanding she gained from this unusual and inspiring voyage out of the abyss of a wounded brain. It would take eight years for Taylor to heal completely. Because of her knowledge of how the brain works, her respect for the cells composing her human form, and most of all an amazing mother, Taylor completely repaired her mind and recalibrated her understanding of the world according to the insights gained from her right brain that morning of December 10th.

Today Taylor is convinced that the stroke was the best thing that could have happened to her. It has taught her that the feeling of nirvana is never more than a mere thought away. By stepping to the right of our left brains, we can all uncover the feelings of well-being and peace that are so often sidelined by our own brain chatter. A fascinating journey into the mechanics of the human mind, My Stroke of Insight is both a valuable recovery guide for anyone touched by a brain injury, and an emotionally stirring testimony that deep internal peace truly is accessible to anyone, at any time.

mimitabby
05-29-2008, 06:41 AM
so what are his injuries at this point? is it the concussion that is the problem?
is he still on a ventilator?

7rider
05-29-2008, 08:35 AM
so what are his injuries at this point? is it the concussion that is the problem?
is he still on a ventilator?

He was taken off the ventilator, but has supplemental oxygen via a mask at this point.
Injuries are:
Head injuries (bleeding and bruising on the brain). This remains the biggest problem.
Broken rib
Broken collar bone.
Broken sinus (?) bone.
Various and assorted bruises and bumps
Pneumonia - not an injury, but developed in the ICU.

bouncybouncy
05-29-2008, 09:48 AM
2 weeks...Sending a whole new set of good thoughts!!!

Get better!!! :o

Duck on Wheels
05-30-2008, 03:17 AM
So sorry for all your buddy's troubles! His list of injuries sounds very similar to when my DH had a car pull a left turn right in front of him: concussion, broken ribs, broken collar bone, broken humerus (sp?), liver and one kidney cracked and bleeding, lungs filling up with liquids. I'm happy to say that, aside from some reduced lung capacity and reduced mobility in one shoulder, DH is back on his bike and in great shape, just home from a hiking holiday in Bhutan and Nepal. It helped the healing process that he was in good shape to begin with ... from bike commuting for years, among other activities. I imagine your commuter buddy has that going for him as well.

Good thoughts and a flutter of doggedly healing butterflies headed your way.

7rider
06-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Well, we've passed the 4-week mark, and my friend is STILL in ICU.
A brain injury is a terrible thing.
It's an important reminder that you can severely injure yourself, even WITH a properly fitting helmet.
Good news is, he has moments of lucidity, and the doctors say non-family members can visit. So, DH and I are going to try to get there tomorrow after work. His wife says he may recognize our faces but not know our names.
Ultimately, he will be discharged to a rehabilitation facility. Don't know when or for how long. I think tomorrow's visit will be (more) sobering for us.

Blueberry
06-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Glad he's hanging in there, and getting some good moments. It's a sobering reminder for us all - but the same thing could certainly happen in a car or as a pedestrian.

Hugs to you and to his family.

CA

OakLeaf
06-12-2008, 07:08 AM
whew. Keeping him in my thoughts - and his family, and you.

Zen
06-15-2008, 10:59 PM
A brain injury is a terrible thing.

Maybe the worst.
I've seen the effects.

7rider
06-18-2008, 04:26 AM
Well, after 1 day shy of 5 weeks in ICU, Terry was discharged and sent to a rehabilitation hospital in Baltimore.
Now begins the long process of "coming back." Physical, occupational, and speech therapists will fill his days for the coming time.
So happy he's out of ICU.
Still so upset it happened in the first place.

NbyNW
06-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Terry sounds like quite the fighter -- it's fantastic news that the docs think he's ready for the next step in the healing process.

He's also lucky to have the support of family and friends

Keep us posted!

7rider
07-02-2008, 05:04 PM
I just got an email from Terry's wife.
She's bringing him home tomorrow!!! :eek::D
I'm really happy....and really surprised.
DH and I went to see him in Baltimore on Sunday. He was alert, chatty, and a little confused by all that has happened to him. He accepted that he had a bike accident, but the "how" and the "why" made no logical sense to him (nor to us, really). When we saw him, he was confusing timelines...bringing up things that happened 40 years ago, and wondering if it had any relevance. He also was convinced things happened that perhaps he dreamed about, but that was it.
His wife had said he had made remarkable progress in the 3 days prior to our seeing him. If he continued that progress, I guess he'd be ready to go home and get back with his life. Re-connecting with current day - his family, friends, neighbors, house, job, all that mundane stuff we take for granted - has got to be good therapy for him.
Sigh. I feel like a weight has been lifted......

NbyNW
07-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Wow, that's fantastic! Sounds like the pieces are falling into place for Terry.

Home is the best place to heal.

Iris616
07-03-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of your friends accident.

TBI can be overwhelming, and the recovery is long. I am posting links to 2 sites that your friend, his wife and you might find helpful.

www.biamd.org

http://crlynch.com/

I wish him and his family the best.

divingbiker
07-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Oh, that's great news. It's been (and will continue to be) a long haul.

jesvetmed
07-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Wonderful news that he is home and still improving. Long haul ahead, but it sure sounds promising.

7rider
07-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks, everyone. And thanks for the links, Iris. Those were pretty interesting.
I just got off the phone with him. He's been home all weekend.
Sleeping better.
Gets tired quickly.
Knows he's not "authorized" to ride his bikes, his motorcycles, or drive a car.
He knows he's got a long road ahead of him, but he sounds up to the challenge. And best of all...he sounds like himself.

Geonz
07-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Glad to hear he's home ! Here's to continued recovery and becoming himself :)

LBTC
07-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Oh, the butterflies are happy and relieved! They'll stick by him through the road to recovery - it can't hurt to have a few extra butterflies around!

Hugs and butterflies to you, and to his family too,
~T~

Zen
07-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Whew.
That was a close one.
I'm sure he'll continue to improve, it just takes time and will.