PDA

View Full Version : speaking of which: sitbone numbness

alpinerabbit
05-12-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm currently testing the Selle SMP Strike "Glider" model.

it's all fine and dandy. During saturday's 50mile (90km) ride, I got some numbness around my ischial tuberosities = sit bones.

is this acceptable, or let's say will it get better? (should I know this on my own with the kind of mileage I have under my belt...)

lph
05-12-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm curious about this too. I've bought and am quite happy with the Jett, but it's a dang hard saddle and if I sit for a long time (3 hrs.+) I get quite bruised and numb. But it's not soft tissue getting squished, just the bones I'm supposed to be sitting on in the first place.

I'm fine on harder faster rides, though, cause I move around more, stand more and pedal harder so there isn't as much steady pressure.

koala
05-13-2008, 03:12 AM
You will have to make your own decision, but this definitely did not get any better for me. I tried for about 6 weeks with both the Stratos & the Pro, with similar results. I would be fine for a while if I could move around some. But my sit-bones could not get accustomed to the hardness of the shell. The bruising just intensified until I couldn't sit on anything comfortably, even a chair. Ultimately, I gave up on that saddle line.

It's a shame, because they have the front-end right. The huge cut-out works. But I have learned that they only have two frame sizes: Evolution & Pro. The widths of the different models all come about through padding. So underneath the padding, the Stratos & the Glider are the same as the Evolution.

If you want to keep on trying, I found that experimenting with tilt helped some. I had the front-end tilted slightly up to give some relief to the sit-bones. It was not enough for me, but maybe it will help you.

Beane
05-20-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm curious about this too. I've bought and am quite happy with the Jett, but it's a dang hard saddle and if I sit for a long time (3 hrs.+) I get quite bruised and numb. But it's not soft tissue getting squished, just the bones I'm supposed to be sitting on in the first place.

I'm fine on harder faster rides, though, cause I move around more, stand more and pedal harder so there isn't as much steady pressure.

I had the same problem with the jett.. but I figure its because i had/have the 143 and need the 155. I think maybe my bones were just on the very outside edges rather than right in the center of the pads where they ought to be. I did really like the soft tissue relief it provided.

TxDoc
05-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi Alpinerabbit,
have you tried the composit model as well? I'd like to buy one and I'm curious to hear any comments about it. The carbon is way too expensive!

alpinerabbit
05-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi,

yes I've tried the Composit. It is rock hard, just a shell covered with leather. If you can take that - I only tried it for 40 K, on loan from a friend. My Sitbones got numb as well. I wouldn't mind trying it longer. He says he rides 200K on this no problem.

I've now adjusted the Glider a bit and for 40 K, it just does not exist - wonder about how 100 would feel.

mimitabby
05-21-2008, 06:10 AM
Hi,

He says he rides 200K on this no problem.

I've now adjusted the Glider a bit and for 40 K, it just does not exist - wonder about how 100 would feel.

remember ladies, boys are built differently down there! if it works for a guy
it won't necessarily work for a gal.

alpinerabbit
05-21-2008, 06:56 AM
yah but the girlie bits were super happy even on the composit. just the sit bones.

TxDoc
05-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Hi,

yes I've tried the Composit. It is rock hard, just a shell covered with leather. If you can take that - I only tried it for 40 K, on loan from a friend. My Sitbones got numb as well. I wouldn't mind trying it longer. He says he rides 200K on this no problem.

Thanks for the info! I'd really like to try that one. The glider and other models are too wide for me :(
Right now I have a San Marco era arrowhead gelaround that I love, and a Selle Italia SLR gel flow on another bike. I think one is 125 wide and the other 130 - so the composit should be about the right width too.
Too bad that the bike shops around have either the carbon (over $500!!!) or the wide models like pro or lady trek. I guess I will have to order one and hope it works!

You know, I remember reading something on sitbone numbness reported by competitive cyclists riding stage races, mostly during the European tours like TdF or the Giro. Right on top of my head I cannot remember where I saw it. But I will look for it again and let you know what I find.
Good luck with the glider!

alpinerabbit
05-25-2008, 12:08 AM
TxDoc,

If the glider is too wide the evolution might be it. Teeniest bit of padding and it was too narrow for me.

I'm keeping the glider after a successful, pain-free 100k.