PDA

View Full Version : My summer and a question

moonkee2
09-09-2002, 06:27 PM
This summer I started biking. A good friend and co-worker of mine died in May. Roger Cobb had quit smoking and started participating in triathalons when he was in his early 40s. He died at age 59 from a brain tumor.

So in June, despite being in terrible shape, I biked my first 35 mile bike tour, the Tour of Saints, in Minnesota. It was 90 degrees+ and windy. At mile 32 I was pedaling, and people were passing me, but I wasn't moving. But I finished it, my 14 year old daughter called me on the cell phone and asked, "Are you dead?" She later said, "I can't figure out why you didn't die. If you did, Roger would have been waiting at the gate saying, 'So tell me again, how did this happen.'"

Having accomplished this goal with no preparation, I decided a couple more tours after preparation would be even better. So this summer, I've been biking 10-20 miles a day. My daughter and I finished a 40 mile tour benefiting Habitat for Humanity in July. And I have one more tour scheduled for December.

I just got my first pair of bike shorts (from team estrogen of course.)

So my friend Roger gave me the gift of an hour of peace each night and better health.

Now I have a question. Winter is coming to Minnesota. I know, it's 90 today, but it is coming. What can I do to stay in shape. What are those stands that turn a bike into an exercyle called and where can I get one?

han-grrl
09-09-2002, 07:14 PM
there are several options for staying fit in the winter:

spinning classes - these are classes done on a stationary bike

wind-trainers or computrainers or just plain old bicycle trainers. these are cool trainers that you attach to your rear wheel and bike the winter blahs away. the computrainer is a neat one you can get your computer involved with as well.

i also cross country ski in the winter. this is a great way to keep up your aerobic base.

good luck and happy riding!

Han

gapgoil
09-10-2002, 06:19 AM
My LBS sells the trainers for home for about $250 (cdn) for the lower end ones and up from there. They are a great way to keep in shape, however, I found that when I took an indoor spinning class, I was much more motivated to ride. I had it scheduled weekly, and there was always someone there to "push" you to go hard.
I do know quite a few people that have the one for your home, and they do love it. Good luck, and congrats on your accomplishments this summer!

han-grrl
09-10-2002, 10:35 AM
I have to agree on the spinning. indoor cycling of any sort is pretty boring (to me) in general, the class keeps things a little more interesting. I also found a video for indoor trainers that i found helpful too, but again, how many times can i watch the same video?

Trek420
09-11-2002, 12:15 PM
moonkee2,

Sorry to hear about your friend. Good for you for turning your grief into action and getting on your bike. We don't have seasons here on the left coast but we do have off season training! Stationary trainers are great for that. There are several brands to pick but basicly 4 different types:

Wind trainers - affordable, noisy.
Mag trainers -- cost more, closer to a real ride feel, quieter, apartment dwellers your neighbors will thank you
Fluid Trainers - quietest of the bunch, feels just like riding. Most expensive.
Rollers -- best option for working on form, quiet, you will fall off a lot till you get the hang of it.

I have a Cycleops fluid trainer and love it. I'm never bored, just pop in a CD fast music for working on my cadence, slower to work on strength. My dog gets to curl up on her bed and watch me ride, she likes it too. I also weight train during the off season and do other sports.

Stationary trainers will chew up your rear quick release. I got a spare one and pop that in when in use, then switch back to the regular Ultegra when I'm "really riding".

TREK420

see ya' round