PDA

View Full Version : We're riding Baby

Surlygirl
03-20-2005, 05:28 AM
Wahoooooo. :D :D :D :D
There's still snow but hubby and I got out for our first 12 mile ride yesterday and it was a gorgeous 47 degrees. I even got up the mile and a half hill on the way home. Thanks to all who listened to me b.... and moan about the weather. Still snow in the forcast but Spring is in the air.
Anybody else get out for their firsts.

DeniseGoldberg
03-20-2005, 06:29 AM
Me too! I managed 22 miles yesterday, and plan to repeat that today. Rather than plan a route ahead of time, I chose the roads that were dry. I think that we're really lucky that most of this white stuff seems to be evaporating at this point and not melting all over the roads.

I am sending my wishes to the weather wizards to not bring the snow that is predicted for tonight!

Surlygirl
03-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Sshhh Denise,
Don't say that bad word, maybe the weather wizards won't find us. Glad you got out to ride too.
Jody

Barb
03-20-2005, 08:20 AM
It's spitting icey rain and I am sooo crabby about it. I changed out my pedals on my beater last night (in the warm and cozy living room of course!) and I really want to try them out.

fasteryet
03-20-2005, 08:25 AM
Our snow (here in NJ) is just about all gone. I was also able to get out yesterday, if only a twelve miler. But yippee! no cold body parts, no sore shoulders from hunching up from being cold, and best of all, that wonderful rush from being free, female, and over 50 on my bike :D
Of course, it is rainy again today, but that's OK, because I dropped off my bikes at the shop for their spring servicing.
I can't ride again til Thursday.

Jo-n-NY
03-20-2005, 07:47 PM
To comment on the other post, yep, I think the trainer does pay off and I know for myself I don't have too much of a "breaking in period."

I also got out yesterday, 17 miles, better than nothing and it felt wonderful!

Yes, today was rainy so I searched for spring and summer jerseys.

Surlygirl
03-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Well I did another 12 today. What a gorgeous day. There was a bit of wind but not to bad. Now there's a winter storm watch out for us on Wed night. Geez, just when the snow was starting to disappear. :mad:
Hey Karen, I bought the Brooks B17S and wow, what a difference. I have happy bum. :D How do you stop from sliding off the thing though? Its pretty slippery.

Surlygirl
03-23-2005, 04:26 AM
8 to 12 inches of snow!!! Are they kidding? Please, Please tell me it isn't going to happen again. I've tasted freedom. I can't go back to the basement and the trainer.

DeniseGoldberg
03-23-2005, 05:08 AM
8 to 12 inches of snow!!! Are they kidding? Please, Please tell me it isn't going to happen again. I've tasted freedom. I can't go back to the basement and the trainer.

And I thought they let some kid loose with paint and the kid just decided to color in the weather map! Here's hoping the forecast - which keeps changing - is totally off the wall. This has been one long, long winter. It seems to me that it started early (snow in November, before Thanksgiving), and it's going on much too long. And here I thought the roads would be clear for weekend riding...

http://denise.smugmug.com/photos/18076638-S-1.jpg

Based on a comment on this map Wednesday evening, I realized that I hadn't given the appropriate credit for the picture. It came from the Boston area page of the National Weather Service website.

SadieKate
03-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Who is Baby? :D

Surlygirl
03-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Just good old New England Slang SadieKate. ;) Ever listen to Boston Rob from Survivor who's now on the amazing race. He cracks me up. Boston slang to the max.

Crankin
03-23-2005, 03:54 PM
AHHHHH! I never complain about snow, but I am p*****. My students are scheduled to perform a play that we have been working on for 4 weeks tomorrow. Even having a delay will cause issues. Well, if it's nice in the PM I will x-country ski and hopefully the roads will be good enough on Friday, since I have the day off. I don't want to go to spin class! The weekend looks good.
Nice map, Denise.

DeniseGoldberg
03-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Nice map, Denise.

Robyn -
I can't take credit for the map - I just copied it from the National Weather Service web site! Here's the link to the NWS page for the Boston area - just click on the map (near your house) for the forecast.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/box/

--- Denise

massbikebabe
03-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Hey Karen, I bought the Brooks B17S and wow, what a difference. I have happy bum. :D How do you stop from sliding off the thing though? Its pretty slippery.

Jody:

I proofhide the saddle and that makes it much less slippery. I have the same as you, the B 17 S. I have been actively looking at Surly bikes lately because I am interested in either a mtn. bike or a cross bike to complement this rotton weather we seem to always get. Tell ya, when my kids are oput of school I am thinking of heading west!!! Nice that we avoided the foot expected last night. Conor and I will be riding tomorrow out towards Leominster....

karen

enjoy your new saddle

Surlygirl
03-25-2005, 07:37 AM
Hey Karen,
If you decide on a Surly, check out alfred E. bike. www.aebike.com
They had the best deals on them and you can get them built up or as a frame. They are great because FFF. Fatties Fit Fine, meaning fat tires, and there is room for fenders for all the slop. They are heavy but If you are using just as a pre-season bike it shouldn't matter. I put a carbon fork on mine which really helped and since I'm only 5 feet tall the 42cm cross fits pretty good.
Good luck and have a great ride. Oh and I did proofhide the saddle and that seams to have helped, thanks.
Jody

massbikebabe
03-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Jody:

Glad the proofhiding worked for you...I did have one slipping incident after I proofed my saddle but it was my own stupid fault :o I am leaning in between Giant and Specialized for a beater bike right now and I will probably end up wit a mountain bike...but I do keep staring at them Surly's. I just hate taking my beauty 5200 out with all the sand and salt on the roads right now.
I don't want anything bad to happen to the carbon :eek:

maybe we'll bike into each other this week,
karen

Crankin
03-26-2005, 04:58 AM
I find this discussion pretty interesting. I have had my 5200 out 3 times. I've stayed away from roads that have enough sand for a beach and have a fender on, but I am not sure if I could justify buying another bike to ride just in March. Of course, I say this as my husband just bought a travel bike to take with him to Europe 5-6 times a year! I have a mountain bike, which I did take out after the blizzard a couple of weeks ago, but it is too heavy for me on the road. It took me an hour to ride 11 miles when my average is usually just around 15 on the same route. I also have a hard tail mtb that i could use, that is lighter, but that means seat and pedal changes.

Too much to think about!

Barb
03-26-2005, 07:58 AM
It's 38 and sunny. I'm on Spring break with no plans. Sounds great right? I have an upper respitory thing going on and a really sore throat. My new bike comes into the shop on Monday. I HAD BETTER FEEL FABULOUS BY THEN!!! (shaking fist in the air)

massbikebabe
03-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Robyn:

So what do you find so interesting if you yourself have several bikes??

confused,
karen

Crankin
03-27-2005, 07:34 AM
Well, the hard tail isn't really mine. It started as my husband's mtb and it's the one i started riding on, before i got my road bike. Now it's esentially set up for any guests we have, who may want to ride with us, or my son who uses it once in awhile. I think what I meant is that I have a nice road bike, a good mtb, so I don't know if I would buy, let's say a hybrid or cross bike to use at this time of year. I have seen some group rides that focus on trails and roads in one ride (easy stuff) that would not be fun with my mtb on the road part and impossible to use my 5200 on. I think eventually, I might do this, but not this year.
Of course, today, the warmest day of the weekend and i don't feel so great. I went out to do a hill ride yesterday and ended up not doing that route, only going 17 miles. My legs felt like lead and my attitude sucked, too. I should stay home today, but it's so nice out!

Surlygirl
03-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Hey Robyn,
Sorry you don't feel well. I've had the same problem this week. Think I'm fighting a bug off, but just feel run down. Opted out of a ride with hubby yesterday and today so he took my son.

Have you thought about just putting slicks on one of the mountain bikes for a few weeks till the roads are cleaned up? Probably the hardtail would be best.
My Surly tank is great because its a cross bike I can put fat tires on and ride the dirt and then skinnies when I ride the road. I pay on the hills because its heavy but I need the workout anyway.

Feel better, we hit the 50's this week I hear.

paintgirl
03-28-2005, 03:28 AM
We have had sun for the last 10 days, so now only about a foot and a half of snow left. The paved roads are clear, other than a lot of sand on sides, still chilly -10 c or so in am, but I couldn't wait any longer, I went out for a ride on 21, 22 early in am so that the mud on my road was still frozen, got out to the paved and away I went, it so fun to pedal and move forward, not just stay put, trainer is ok for winter, but not the joy you get by going somewhere. I can't believe how I felt so young and carefree on that first ride last week, felt like I was 6 getting my first very own bike (had to ride to school), I am 53 now, but still feel like a young chick getting out and riding. The last few days have had a dreadful cold, can't taste anything or breathe and eat at the same time, but took Vinny(my bike) out anyway, not great speed but just fresh air. Back to work tomorrow, on the 11-7 shift so am thinking of maybe commuting to work(approx 25 miles) and having my daughter pick me up at 7 (too dark for me) will depend on this cold, but that is my goal for this riding season, to commute 3-4 out of 5 days. I think the older I get, the more I appreciate spring. have a great day everyone Lori

Crankin
03-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Seems like there are a lot of colds going around this list. I did the right thing Surly, and did not ride Sunday. I did go for a 3 and a half mile hike in some local conservation land; about 500 feet of climbing in mushy snow. I probably shouldn't have. But I feel better today. I had my last session with the personal trainer today. More time to ride... I have a dentist appt. Wed. and i am not going to work (although i could have gone in late) so I can come home and ride. Thursday looks good, too.
Saturday I am going to a bike maintenance workshop. I hope I actually learn to change a flat. With all of the mechanically inclined people on this list, I am embarrassed. When I ride by myself, I tend to not go more thn 20-25 miles because I am so mechanically challenged and worry that I might have an issue. I wish I could say this is a case of being of a generation that didn't teach women these skills, but my dad was the klutz in my family and my mom could fix anything.

Surlygirl
03-30-2005, 08:26 AM
Doing the happy dance. What great weather! 54 and climbing. Hope all who still have snow get a chance to get out.
Hey Robyn, where is the clinic on Saturday, maybe I can escape and join you?

CorsairMac
03-30-2005, 02:28 PM
I rode today!!!....first time since 03/11. I still have a slight nagging cough in the morning but I figured cover my mouth in the AM, do an easy "recovery" type ride and drive tomorrow as a rest day. It just felt sooo good to be out there again on the bike! and in the 70s this weekend so I might try another easy ride!

Crankin
03-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Doing the happy dance. What great weather! 54 and climbing. Hope all who still have snow get a chance to get out.
The clinic is at the Trinitarian (sp?) Church in Concord Center, on Thoreau ST. It is sponsored by AMC. You have to be there at 9:45 AM, bring a wheel, tire irons, pump, and lunch. I am not sure if there is still room; it says you can register at the door, but there is no phone # for the guy I sent the check to. If you go to the web site www.outdoors.org and scroll down on the right side, click on the Boston Chapter. When you get to the chapter home page, you can find the cycling activity page and you might find something there.
I am going for the techie stuff. I think there will be some stuff in the afternoon that will be too basic for me (and you).
I finally rode 20 miles yesterday with some hills. Today I did 14.5 and I feel like I have never ridden. This is quite discouraging! Let me know if you are coming to the worksop.

SadieKate
03-31-2005, 01:54 PM
When are you girls going to post some pictures? You've seen us northern Californians! We've seen emily's trails. We've seen Irulan hugging a tree. When we going to see you?

DeniseGoldberg
03-31-2005, 02:24 PM
When are you girls going to post some pictures?

Hmm... I'd be happy to post some pics, but unfortunately we seem to have another serious rain storm getting in the way of cycling this weekend - at least in the Boston area. Sounds like Saturday will be a total washout, but there's still a possibility of a Sunday ride (I know, I know, I'm just dreaming...). If the weather permits a dry ride, I'll bring my camera with me. Pictures may be coming...

Can you gals in California send some of your nice weather our way?

In the meantime, here's a non-biking photo from my early morning walk on Tuesday (3/29) - anyone for some very wet riding? Not me - my bikes like staying on the road, and they don't like riding through standing water!
http://denise.smugmug.com/photos/18662618-M-1.jpg
--- Denise

DeniseGoldberg
03-31-2005, 02:30 PM

If you're still looking for clinics - I took a couple of one-on-one sessions at Belmont Wheelworks before I started touring on my own. I just checked their web site, and it looks like they have both individual classes like I took and Park Tool classes that look more like structured classes. I was really happy with my one-on-one sessions. More info at http://www.wheelworks.com/class.htm.

--- Denise

Surlygirl
04-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Hey Robyn I'm not going to make it on Saturday, to many kid obligations. Looks like a good thing to do on a rainy weekend. You'll do fine.

Here's a ride to consider and I've heard its lots of fun. The Flattest Century in the East. You have to register early though since it fills up by June. You can choose 25, 52, 68 or 100 miles. This is a ride, not a race the organizers say. Check it out. www.nbwclub.org and then go to the Flattest Century page. You can print out a registration form. I think Hubby and I are going to do it and it gives us all summer to train since its not until September.

Hey Denise, that looks like my back yard! The old Blackstone River has been over its banks once already this week. Good thing I live up on big hill.

DeniseGoldberg
04-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Hey Denise, that looks like my back yard!
Well, it's practically my back yard - that photo was taken along the road leading into a college campus next to my townhouse.

I did get out riding today. I snuck out of work at 3 this afternoon - the sunshine was beckoning, I knew my bikes were screaming at home, ready to ride - and the weather forecast for the weekend makes it sound like this isn't going to be a riding weekend.

Yup, that wide band to the side of the road is sand! Some of the towns have started cleaning the roads, but for the most part they are still a mess with sand on the side, and lots and lots of pot holes where you could lose your bike! And I figured I'd better include a picture of my bike too so you'd all know that I was really out wandering on two wheels. Here it is, patiently waiting for it's ride to stop taking pictures! Ah, springtime...
http://denise.smugmug.com/photos/18724935-M-1.jpg http://denise.smugmug.com/photos/18725984-M-1.jpg

Crankin
04-02-2005, 04:35 AM
Glad to see that N. Andover has as much sand as Boxborough. I did notice that other towns are starting to clean the roads (Stow, Bolton), but sometimes it's close to May 1 before it is done here. I went to spin yesterday before work because I thought it might be raining in the PM. Of course, it was gorgeous, but I didn't want to overdo and ride twice. This morning I went for a 2.5 mile walk in the rain and am now heading out to the clinic.

Surly, that century looks interesting. The way I am feeling now, 100 miles seems impossible, but I will discuss it with my husband. I have never ridden more than 67 miles (with stops, etc), but I think if I worked at it, I could. Are you going to do the 100, or the 68?

The weather looks good for this week....

DeniseGoldberg
04-02-2005, 05:07 AM
This morning I went for a 2.5 mile walk in the rain....

And here I thought I was the only one crazy enough to walk in the rain. (But I'm not crazy enough to take my bike out into this crap!) I'm about to head out for a walk in the rain myself...

Surlygirl
04-02-2005, 12:22 PM
You go girls!
I went back to my trainer and "Sex in the City" dvd for the day. Man, if its not snow its rain. I hate going back to the trainer after tasting freedom.

Hey Robyn, I've never ridden that far in one day either. They have shorter options too. People tell me its lots of fun and you could probably do as much as you felt like because it does have SAG support. I'll be the one at the back!
:D

Crankin
04-03-2005, 05:57 AM
The workshop yesterday was pretty good. I changed the flat without too many problems..I need to practice taking the back wheel off, though. I have a question for you guys. Do you use CO2 cartridges or pumps for flats? My husband and son swear by the cartridges, but the people at the workshop seemed to not think too highly of them (typical AMC attitude). One instructor said that he has had as many as 5 flats on one ride and how could you know that, i.e. be prepared with that many cartridges. I've been riding for almost 4 years and I have never had a flat, except when I stuck the valve through the tube right in my own basement. I don't ride in the rain (at least i don't start a ride in the rain) and I am very watchful of what's on the road, too. Plus, many of these people commute closer to the city, where I believe there is more crap on the road.
Surly, my husband and I discussed the century. We probably will sign up either for the 68 or 100 miles. We are going out today, hopefully to do at least 25 miles and feel OK.

Surlygirl
04-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Hey Robyn,
Hubby and I are also going to commit to the 100. Yikes! That gets hard to train for when the kids all get out of school for the summer but what the heck.
I carry both a CO2 cartridge in my bag and a frame pump, just in case I have more than one flat. I also carry a spare tube and a patch kit. I'd rather be prepared then 30 miles from home and stuck.
I might do the Nashua River trail this week if you want to join me. Any day better than others?

Surlygirl
04-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Hey Karen,
Why don't you and your family join us in the Flattest Century.

Jo-n-NY
04-03-2005, 07:34 PM
I honestly do not think we need April Showers after having such a wet March.

My husband and I each carry a couple of CO2 cartrides. He has had to use his once and really likes them as opposed to a pump. I for one still have to learn to change a flat.

I just got the street cleaning schedule in the mail and it looks like street cleaning starts the third of April. I cannot wait. I also cannot believe how much glass is on the roads.

Denise, you pics make MA look like a real nice place to live.

~ JoAnn

CorsairMac
04-03-2005, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE=DeniseGoldberg]...and lots and lots of pot holes where you could lose your bike! And I figured I'd better include a picture of my bike too so you'd all know that I was really out wandering on two wheels. Here it is, patiently waiting for it's ride to stop taking pictures! Ah, springtime...[QUOTE]

I thought maybe you included a pix of your bike so we'd know what to look for in case in fell in one of those potholes! :p

Crankin
04-04-2005, 02:43 PM
I am going to stick to the cartridges. I practiced taking the rear wheel off in the basement before my ride yesterday. I did it, but I wonder if I could out on the road in an emergency! I also practiced changing the tube on a wheel from my old Cannondale. My husband was pretty impressed. We rode 21.5 miles yesterday, with 1350 ft. of climbing. Lots of hills in Harvard. We decided to take it easier on the speed, and not be so hard on ourselves. I felt pretty pathetic on the first long climb, but by the end, felt I had my "groove" back.
Surly, I would love to do the trail with you, but I am a teacher and I can't ride during the day. I am having enough trouble making myself stay after school to work (what a concept) with the advent of nice weather and DST. I usually do little loop rides after school, 15-20 miles a couple of times a week or more. Tomorrow is going to be nice and I have a dentist appt. that will last until 5. But, it will still be light when I get home, so I'll try to get a few miles in. We can ride during April Vacation... or on the weekends. This weekend looks good...

Surlygirl
04-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Hey Robyn,
I have the opposite problem, three kids and they are home in the afternoon and on weekends and vacations. Only one is old enough to be home alone. Did you register for the Flattest yet?
Hubby and I took a road trip last night (by car but don't tell) to see if we could ride from our house to the Blackstone Bikeway. We got lost in Woonsocket, RI but finally found the start of the path which isn't even really marked. By then it was dark.
By the way, I'm impressed, those hills in Harvard are killers.

Crankin
04-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Hey Surly,

Is it possible for you to get a babysitter once in awhile or have your husband stay with the kids so you can do a "girl" ride? Might be worth saving your pennies for! I really want to ride with lots of different people this year. My kids are grown up, but I remember those days. I had some very good teenage babysitters, who became like members of our family. One is now about 34 years old and has 2 kids of her own. She was 12 when she started with us.
I rode about 15 miles today. I finally feel back in the groove.

Surlygirl
04-05-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm sure I can work something out. I've started letting my son Babysit his brothers once in awhile but not for hours on end. Hubby is also very supportive but I always feel guilty asking since I have several hours most weekdays all to myself and he only has the weekends.
I rode 20 today, some on the new extension of the Blackstone bikeway in Millbury. You should see the river. Part of the brand new trail was under water the other day and the river is honking.
I wish they put up signs on trail etiquette. Moms pushing strollers, 3 abreast with kids and dogs, walkers two abreast, one on each side of the line and they just turn around and look at you when you say on your left, not that I could go by. Arggg. I'm usually patient but it was annoying today.

Crankin
04-06-2005, 06:17 AM
That is why I hate riding on trails. Too many options for an accident. I'm at school now. The kids are taking the written composition part of the MCAS. Why don't you pick a day during April vacation (Tuesday, Wed, or Thursday) and we can meet for a ride. I will drive to you, if needed.

Anyone else interested in meeting for a ride this Saturday?

Surlygirl
04-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Hey Massbikebabe,
Where are you? Did you sign up for the Flattest Century yet?
Hubby and I and our son signed up. Should be great fun.

spazzdog
04-11-2005, 02:50 PM
You'll do fine... just take your time and make sure you've moved far enough off the road to be safe.

If your drops have "lawyer lips" remember to loosen your quick releases enough to clear them on the off and on part. Then tighten appropriately on the on part.

massbikebabe
04-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Surly:

I still don't know about the date because my niece is getting married in Sept., but it does sound like something we would do for sure. There is also the ride against Child Abuse here in Sept./Oct. that is very good. I'll post the info when I get it.

I am addicted to C02 cartridges, matter of fact I think they are the best invention since lever shifting. You can also buy them very cheaply at Walmart in the paintball section but my son tells me they are not full. We just bought a bunch at the last Supersale at B.A.

karen

spazzdog
04-12-2005, 04:13 AM
Hey MA grrls (and NH)!

Maybe we should plan a little ride so we can all meet up? Anybody a good navigator? Put little dots on a map and see if there's a convenient to all place to meet up. I'm in Medford (4 mi NW of Boston).

spazz

DeniseGoldberg
04-12-2005, 05:44 AM
Hey MA grrls (and NH)!

Maybe we should plan a little ride so we can all meet up?
spazz

I'm in North Andover. It would be fun to meet everyone - but I have to warn you, I'm a slow rider. When I'm in shape - long distance + slow speed, what a combination!
--- Denise

massbikebabe
04-12-2005, 06:50 AM
Worcester checking in...

karen

spazzdog
04-12-2005, 07:31 AM
:confused: this is spazz, putting little pins in a map.

Keep on leaving those towns grrls... we'll fugure something out!

Crankin
04-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Hi from sunny Boxborough (Acton, Concord, Harvard area) for all of you city folks.

Robyn

Crankin
04-13-2005, 03:49 AM
I had to go to spin last night!!!!!
38 degrees is too cold for a road ride.
Just a few spits of snow here in the far NW suburbs, but it did rain.

I will ride today, even if it's for an hour.

Surlygirl
04-13-2005, 04:25 AM
Oh CorsairMac,
You know what happened last time you threw the weather gods in our face, ;) they noticed you out there and it snowed there. On second thought, keep taunting us.

Actually its nice today and may hit the seventies this weekend and all the daffies are out. Its beautiful.

spazzdog
04-13-2005, 04:27 AM
The sun is shining... 36 degrees and the high is slated to be 45.

AND my bike is in the mail, er UPS truck, with her new FSA compact crankset, due to arrive next week.

YIPPEE!!

spazz (bundled in her sweats, watching Good Morning America)

CorsairMac
04-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Denise: ya'll are welcome anytime - I even have room for all your bikes!.....talk about a crazy fun time eh??

Spazz: Love the new avatar - makes me think of you N your quirky humour!

Surly: another gorgeous day - sunny, 78, cloudless and winds in the single digits again!!

I just got back from a 17 mile ride on Allez - man is he fast!...My avg sp was 16.0!! wheeeeeee I did NOT wanna come back to work but I forgot my cell phone on the ride so I couldn't call in ummmmmm "sick"!

spazzdog
04-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks Corsair! Thought I'd give my pooch, Quidditch, a PR rest. He was so kind to let me use his likeness.

Watch out... you may wake up one morning with a bunch of strange women on your front porch. I've lived in Albuquerque... it's nice!

newfsmith
04-17-2005, 09:43 AM
We've all been out shaking out the kinks, and I've almost learned how to ride my new Felt, so how about a ride? I'm open to lots of ideas, including a "Tour de Me" on my commute with extended return trip route. Of course I'm open to anyone elses suggestions of a ride.

spazzdog
04-20-2005, 03:43 PM
My bike is back from CA with her new crankset and I'm ready to ride. Anybody interested in a little ride this weekend?

Surlygirl
04-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Doesn't look like a riding kind of weekend Spazz. The forcast is for rain.
I'm doing the East Bay in Rhode Island on Friday with the family. Its suppose to be nice.
We'll all have to plan a weekend to meet since we are coming from all directions. How was that map coming with all of us on it?

spazzdog
04-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Well... let me preface this with I have no concept of "travel time" BUT by referencing my trusty Rubel map I think I determined Billerica to be about center considering where folks were coming from.

Someone else should definitely take a look.

So far I have:

DeniseG in N. Andover
Spazz in Medford
MassBikeBabe in Worcester
Robyn in Boxborough
SurlyGirl in Grafton
newfsmith in ???

Somebody with a brain better check the map :eek:

spazzdog
04-21-2005, 04:11 AM
I picked up the book Best Bike Rides - New England (4th Edition) by Paul Thomas.

It has a ride called the Hopkinton Cruise that starts and finishes in Hopkinton on the town green (near the marathon start). It goes Hopkinton -> Upton -> Northbridge -> Grafton -> Hopkinton.

Length - 41.2 miles
Terrain - Rolling, some climbing in beginning, 1 mile ascent at 26 mile point.

Thoughts?

Figure we could plan it for a specific weekend and all meet at Hopkinton. May 7 or May 14 perhaps???

spazz

spazzdog
04-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Yooo-hooo!

Any takers? Comments? Anything......

spazz (hoping someone will come out and play) :o

DeniseGoldberg
04-22-2005, 04:07 AM
Yooo-hooo!
Any takers? Comments? Anything......

spazz (hoping someone will come out and play) :o

Hey Spazz -
I'd love to meet everyone, and I'm willing to try a group ride - but my pace is pretty slow and I don't want to hold everyone up. That said, if we have a mapped out route and I need to slow down I can always make my way back to the car myself!

May 7th is probably out, but the 14th may work for me. I think I'd prefer a slightly shorter ride for this group effort though - maybe around 35 miles?
--- Denise

spazzdog
04-22-2005, 04:19 AM
I forgot to ask about that whole milage thing... good catch Denise!

OK Massachusetts grrls (or any New England grrls that want to make a trip):

To make a get-together, what dates are good for y'all (if my suggestions above not good, what is)? What milage is good? What area of the state are you willing to travel to for a ride?

Come on folks... speak up!

spazz

Surlygirl
04-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Okay, okay, calm down spazz. Just got back from doing the East Bay. A little chilly and windy but it was fun. My seven year old even made it to the end and back (26 miles) then instantly fell asleep in the car on the way home.
Anyway, I grew up in Hopkinton and know the loop you are talking about. It is pretty nice. Some hills though. I'd be up for a 35 mile or so ride and Denise there is no way you have to worry about being the slow poke!! I'll be right there at the back with you. Maybe I'll drive the route this week and figure out some good rest stops and places for everyone to meet if we get split up.
The 14th of May sounds good to me.

Crankin
04-22-2005, 06:05 PM
I can do the 14th. The 15th I am doing the Acton Lions Cycle for Sight (50 miles), so this can be my warm up. Anyone else want to join me and my husband on the 15th? It's just a $30 sign up, no fund raising involved. I think registration closes on the 2nd of May. 35 miles sounds good. I'm in!

Did just under 30 miles late this afternoon, with the person I usually ride with. We did one of the more strenuous Harvard-Bolton loops, except I started and left from her house, which made it almost 10 miles longer. My husband met us at about mile 10 and he went home when the ride went by my house at mile 21. Good thing I left my car at my friend's house. It forced me to go longer.

spazzdog
04-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Great grrls! And I''m sorry if I sounded impatient... I wasn't. Just thought folks wanted to set it up soon.

So... do we call it May 14 at Hopkinton?

Surly, if you want to do a bit of recon that would be great. The route in my book is stated at 41.2 but I'm sure we can shorten it by 5-6 with your guidance.

How 'bout you other MA grrls?

spazz

DeniseGoldberg
04-23-2005, 02:50 AM
Count me in for May 14th!
--- Denise

spazzdog
04-23-2005, 03:59 AM
OK... May 14, Hopkinton town green.

early or civilized? I'm thinking 10 AM, but am flexible.

spazz

DeniseGoldberg
04-23-2005, 04:48 AM
early or civilized? I'm thinking 10 AM, but am flexible.

spazz
I vote for civilized - 10 am sounds great.
--- Denise

Crankin
04-23-2005, 05:15 AM
10 AM is fine.
Thanks for setting this up!

spazzdog
04-23-2005, 05:37 AM
Okee-dokee!

It's on my calendar! Sat, May 14, 10 AM at Hopkinton town green.

Come one, come all!

newfsmith
04-23-2005, 05:42 AM
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I got a nasty cat bite at work and typing was uncomfortable (riding is not). Unfortunately, I can't make the 14th, I already have non-refundable tickets to visit my Mom in Wisconsin that week-end. One of the rides I'm interested in doing this summer is the Claire Saltonstall bikeway. I was thinking of joining it in East Bridgewater and taking it to at least Plymouth if not to the Sagamore Bridge. By myself I would probably stop at Plymouth and return to Norwood thru Carver, Middleborough,Raynham, Norton, Mansfield/Easton. From Norwood & back would be roughly a century. I'm shooting for early August because late August to early September I'd like to try to do Norwood to Albany to visit my daughter. (By the way, Norwood is on the southern side of Rubel's Eastern Mass map, near the top.)

Surlygirl
04-23-2005, 06:16 AM
Hi gang,
10 AM on the 14th sounds good to me. We should meet at the Gazebo. Hubby has offered to SAG for us if we need it. I'll check out the ride this week. Looking forward to meeting all of you finally.
Jody

DeniseGoldberg
04-23-2005, 08:59 AM
One of the rides I'm interested in doing this summer is the Claire Saltonstall bikeway. I was thinking of joining it in East Bridgewater and taking it to at least Plymouth if not to the Sagamore Bridge. By myself I would probably stop at Plymouth and return to Norwood thru Carver, Middleborough,Raynham, Norton, Mansfield/Easton. From Norwood & back would be roughly a century.
That sounds like a good ride! It's been a long time since I rode in that area - I used to live in North Easton (moved from there to North Andover back in 1999...), so that covers some of my old riding grounds.

--- Denise

Crankin
04-23-2005, 09:14 AM
OK, I just spent $70 on a TE jersey. I justified it by telling myself that it would be cool if we all wore them on our ride. So, now I am applying peer pressure....

spazzdog
04-23-2005, 09:36 AM
Them that got 'em, wear 'em! :cool:

spazz

Surlygirl
04-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Bad Robyn, Bad Robyn ;)
An excuse to buy another Jersey, hmmmmm. I could succumb to peer pressure. I'll have to find my TE tattoo to wear with it. If this works out we should plan on more rides together in everyone's different neck of the woods.
Sorry we didn't manage to get together this week, I just had to many kid obligations and not enough babysitters.

spazzdog
04-23-2005, 06:51 PM
I copied the route from the book onto cue sheets.

I'll bring them to the ride so nobody (like me) gets lost.

spazz

Surlygirl
04-24-2005, 05:49 AM
I know every inch of this route so we won't get lost unless I'm so far behind you guys lose me. Its a nice ride. We can cut the Saddle hill part out and we might want to do the ride backwards from the book because we do NOT want to go UP Keith Hill Road. Should we have lunch somewhere in the middle?

spazzdog
04-24-2005, 05:56 AM
And here I was thinking Keith Hill would be our "Alpe de Huez"...

I'll bring the sheets and the map (everybody bring a pen) and Surly can give us the Audio-Visual review and course corrections ;)

Lunch is always good!

This is gonna be fun!

spazz

DeniseGoldberg
04-24-2005, 06:06 AM
This is gonna be fun!
spazz

Now all we need to do is send our wishes to the weather wizard for a dry day! (Can you tell this weekend is getting to me?)
--- Denise

spazzdog
04-24-2005, 06:29 AM
is anybody else putting on a rain slicker as part of daily fashion?

i hate the rain...

i know we need it.

but i hate the rain.

spazz :( dog

Crankin
04-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Lunch sounds good. I will do either hills or no hills... I am terrible with cue sheets, because only half of the page fits inside my holder and then I have to stop to take it out, fold it over and replace ( I get lazy and i don't want to stop). I usually end up just following someone, so whoever ends up being around my speed, i will be sticking close! Plus, sometimes my old lady eyes cannot read the cue sheets... can't wear the reading glasses while riding. Spazz, make sure the font is for us over 50 crowd.
Yea, the rain sucks. Yesterday my husband and I put on our full rain gear and walked 4.2 miles uphill. Now my butt is aching! I was supposed to ride this afternoon, but it doesn't look good. It's too late for spin class and my stomach is full of matza. I might have to take the day off.

spazzdog
04-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Are you kidding! I used a 12 pt font... BOLD.

And it's on 1 sheet, 2 columns for an easy flip.

I'm visually impaired in the reading department also.

spazz :cool:

Crankin
04-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks. Glad to know i am not the only visually impaired rider (contacts and reading glasses). I just got back from a 14 mile ride. About half a mile from my house is a smaller 2 part hill. I was near the beginning when I heard "on your left" and a pack of guys went by, fast. Thinking they would stand and sprint, I settled into my usual routine of spinning up the hill. Then I realized that one had fallen off the back of the pack and I was about to catch him, so I just stayed in his draft and rode behind him to the top. He took off after that, but I was proud of myself.

CorsairMac
04-24-2005, 07:54 PM
well done Robyn!! Just kinds puts a glow on the rest of your day don't it!!

All you MA ladies - I'll do all I can with my weekly church deposits to try and get ya'll some of my NM weather. Same for the CA ladies - I can't ride with ya'll but I keep the dates and the group in mind and think about your ride and wait to hear how it went. As someone said in another thread - living vicariously thru your rides! Sounds like ya'll are gonna have fun!

(starting my good weather thoughts now!)

Surlygirl
04-25-2005, 03:57 AM
So come on out and join us Corsairmac. We'd love to have you. Everything is in bloom and its beautiful.

CorsairMac
04-25-2005, 12:27 PM
I believe your ride is May 14th?......that would be my next foray into MTB'ng - this time in the mountains!....so it'll kinda sorta be like me riding with ya yes??
Oops....my next MTB experience is 05/07 so I'll have to plan something 05/14 - we'll call it a virtual ride!

I'm doing a 1/2 century organized ride this weekend here in Abq so I'm kinda sorta riding with the Amici Veloci gals! (yup....I'll be sporting that tattoo)

spazzdog
04-25-2005, 01:59 PM
No more happy juice, caffeine, whatever.

The child is bouncing off the walls...

You been sniffin' those tires again Corsair???

CorsairMac
04-25-2005, 02:34 PM
No more happy juice, caffeine, whatever.

The child is bouncing off the walls...

You been sniffin' those tires again Corsair???
ain't that sad??...I'm like this ALL the time - my balloon crew has given me the nickname MethGirl coz I Never slow down! *has memories of my mom always yelling at me to stop running!* You should See me on caffeine!!!

Crankin
04-26-2005, 06:10 PM
I did a dumb thing last night. As I was getting back into bed after getting up to pee at 3:30 AM, I cracked my left toe into the bed and, man was it painful. My husband is away and I could swear really loud, but it really ruined my day. It's not swollen and I can walk OK in flat shoes, once in awhile I get a real pain there. It is bruised on the inside of my big toe. Of course, when i got home, I went for a short ride to "test" it out. It was fine, didn't hurt any more than it does not on the bike. Tonight I had to give a presentation to the school board and all of my colleagues were yelling at me for going out on my bike after work. Am I crazy? I don't think it's broken, plus if it was, there's nothing to be done. Advil and ice have helped. Hey, who cares about walking, as long as I can ride. But my new pink shoes were a little uncomfortable.

Surlygirl
04-27-2005, 04:42 AM
Oooowwwwww. I've broken my toe before and you are right, there is nothing you can do about it anyway so you did the right thing in my opinion. I remember it hurts though. Sorry for your pain.

I rode the Nashua River rail trail yesterday. It was gorgeous. Not many people on the trail which is what I like. I was impressed by the number of Seniors out riding their bikes. There were two guys I joked with that probably were in their eighties. I always find them such an inspiration!

spazzdog
04-27-2005, 06:07 AM
Yowza! That hurts so much (I'm very prone to this sort of boo-boo).

Ice, Advil and uh, a nightlight ;)

Crankin
04-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the sympathy. It's about the same today; I wore my flattest shoes I have for work today. I was concerned because on May 7th my husband and i are co-leading an AMC Worcester chapter ride. It leaves from Blackstone Heritage State Park in Uxbridge; not sure what time, as there is a bike workshop that starts at 10 and the ride is after that. It's 25 miles. if anyone is interested, i can find out the time of the ride from the leader. I think the pace is around 12-14. We have a couple of more "coleads" scheduled, one on 5/29 and another on 6/18, which leaves from Boxborough (it's a hill ride in Harvard, with an ice cream stop at Heberts in Bolton). Anyway, I think the toe will be OK with a minimum of annoyance.
Denise, I think I'll be fine for Sat., I'm riding with a friend tomorrow.

DeniseGoldberg
04-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Denise, I think I'll be fine for Sat., I'm riding with a friend tomorrow.
Just let me know if your toe decides you can't make it! For now, I'll assume that we're still on. I keep checking the weather forecast and hoping...
--- Denise

Crankin
04-27-2005, 05:10 PM
I think my toe will be OK, but tomorrow will be a bigger test, since I will probably ride about 25 miles. I keep praying about the weather, too. It looks like the rain is going to be Sat. late PM or night. I will call you Sat. AM if it looks iffy.

Crankin
05-10-2005, 06:00 PM
The weather looks good for Saturday. Are we all ready?
See you soon.

spazzdog
05-10-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm in!

spazz

DeniseGoldberg
05-11-2005, 02:36 AM
The weather looks good for Saturday. Are we all ready?

Me too!

--- Denise

Surlygirl
05-11-2005, 04:26 AM
Okay, I'm getting really nervous. I seriously doubt I'll be able to keep up with you guys and I don't want all of you to have to wait for me. I'm trying not to wimp out.

DeniseGoldberg
05-11-2005, 05:01 AM
Okay, I'm getting really nervous. I seriously doubt I'll be able to keep up with you guys and I don't want all of you to have to wait for me. I'm trying not to wimp out.

Hey, remember me? I'm not a speed demon either, and I live in the flat part of the state... and our ride will be in your hilly neighborhood!

I rode with Robyn 2 Saturdays ago. We had a good ride, and it did my confidence good to ride with someone for a change.

Don't wimp out! I think we should all look at this as a fun ride and a good opportunity to meet in person doing something we obviously all love. See you Saturday, right?

--- Denise

spazzdog
05-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah! This ain't no "speed camp"... please come. THis is to ride, smell flowers, chat, have a snack, moan a little and giggle a lot... and have another snack maybe :D

p.s. should the weather go to hell in a handbasket for Sat (despite what our esteemed :eek: weather people are promising), You''ll have to do the rain date of the 21st without me. I have a work commitment that day.

spazz

Crankin
05-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Did we find a good place for lunch yet? Besides cycling, food is sort of at the top of my list...
Jody, please don't be nervous. I will stay w/ you, behind you, etc. if you want. It's just a ride. I never rode in a group until last year at this time; and look, now I'm a so-called leader. It is good to ride with different people, so you don't always do the same thing, route, speed, etc.

Robyn

PS I'm getting ready to go out and do the hills of Harvard with my husband. I have my TE jersey on, to get it warmed up for Sat. (well, maybe. it will probably too cold to wear it!)

Surlygirl
05-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks guys for the support. I'll be there.
As far as good places to eat, well, hmmmm. We could stop at the Grafton Inn. It has an outdoor courtyard and it's off the common which is pretty. It's also after most of our climbing for the day. I haven't eaten there for awhile, but it was okay last time I did. Bring your snacks and water though, there aren't a lot of places to get stuff on the first part of the trip. If I think of something better I'll let you know.

spazzdog
05-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Now that this is all planned...

How do I get to Hopkinton and the meeting place from Medford?

Directions for dummies please! :confused:

spazz

DeniseGoldberg
05-12-2005, 04:09 AM
Now that this is all planned...

How do I get to Hopkinton and the meeting place from Medford?

Directions for dummies please! :confused:

spazz

Funny - I saw your note and I remembered directions were posted, but then I couldn't find them. Had to search through Jody's postings to find them again. Here's the link to her directions (from 495, but that should work for you, right?): directions to Hopkinton green (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?p=25040#post25040).

--- Denise

Surlygirl
05-12-2005, 04:42 AM
Hey Spazz, you can hop on the Mass Pike west and take the 495 exit south which is probably the fastest. Route 9 west to route 85 which takes you into Hop town also works but will be much slower.

spazzdog
05-12-2005, 04:48 AM
Yeah, I thought I remembered directions too, but my quick scroll through the thread was unsuccessful.

Thank you for having better eye-brain coordination than I.

I'm so close to Boston I'll probably take I-90 out to 495 rather than going way north to pick it up.

spazz

DeniseGoldberg
05-12-2005, 04:57 AM
We absolutely need to continue chanting to the weather wizard - and hopefully one of us will find the right words. The current National Weather Service forecast calls for a 40% chance of rain on Saturday. And the text forecast says: "A chance of showers, mainly after 9am".

I want to ride, and I want to meet all of you. Weather wizard, please, please, please supply decent biking weather and smiles. While I'd prefer a sunny day, I'd be perfectly happy with a dry day - preferably with the temps close to or above 60 (even though I know that is hoping for way too much!).

--- Denise

spazzdog
05-12-2005, 05:01 AM
i'm really starting to hate weatherpeeples. i may have to check into betty ford center for "postal employee syndrome" treatment.

spazz :mad:

Crankin
05-12-2005, 06:59 AM
I will be there if it is sprinking...hey if it gets bad, we can go out to lunch. Maybe it will be OK. Should we have a contingency plan, like cancel by 9 AM?
Do we need to exchange cell phone #'s, in case we are en route, lost, etc???
Sorry, the Jewish mother in me forces these questions.
Robyn

Surlygirl
05-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Yeah, I'm looking at the weather page and its saying rain by 9 am. Hey we could all meet for breakfast and decide then unless you guys don't want to make the trek. Even if we don't get to ride we get to meet each other and plan another ride. What do you guys think?

Crankin
05-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Meeting for breakfast would be good if it's raining by 9. Or, we could just hope and pray the next week is OK.

DeniseGoldberg
05-12-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm still hoping for decent riding weather, although everytime I look at the weather forecast it looks worse. I'm having a hard time believing that we're about to have the 4th weekend in a row of rain. But I won't cancel until Saturday morning, and only if it's really dismal... Hopefully we'll all see each other on Saturday!

And Robyn - you're probably right, we should have a plan to cancel by a certain time.

Breakfast instead of riding? I'd like to ride, but maybe...

--- Denise

Crankin
05-13-2005, 03:48 AM
Let's set 8:30 as the time to cancel by. Is this OK w/ everyone? We can still hope for the 21st. It's the worst kind of forecast because it doesn't say heavy rain, just chance of showers all day long....

spazzdog
05-13-2005, 04:01 AM
Who's the closest to Hopkinton... was it Surlygurl? We could PM our numbers to that person for "pedal or food" updates. I have to leave by a little before 10 (padding for getting lost).

Let me know who gets my numbers.

spazz - who just looked at the weather site and it ain't lookin' any better :mad:

DeniseGoldberg
05-13-2005, 04:03 AM
I have to leave a lot before 10!

But Robyn's suggested cancel or go time of 8:30 works for me. I'll PM my phone numbers to all of you.

--- Denise

Surlygirl
05-13-2005, 05:30 AM
I'm probably the closest to Hoptown. I like the cancel by 8:30 plan. I just checked the weather and they say it will start around noon.

Crankin
05-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Sounds good for the cancelling by 8:30. OK, did we say we would meet at 10 or 10:30? I have 10 written on my calendar. If we go early, we could miss the rain.

DeniseGoldberg
05-13-2005, 11:09 AM
I had it in my calendar at 10 too.

The forecast that I saw calls for a 50% chance of rain beginning at 9am. Of course that also means that we have a 50% chance of no rain, right?

--- Denise

Crankin
05-13-2005, 11:44 AM
OK, I'll call Jody (Surly) a little before 8:30. She can give an update on the weather near Hopkinton. Then I'll call Denise. I don't have Spazz's #.

Robyn

DeniseGoldberg
05-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Robyn -
I have Spazz's number, so I can call her after you call me. Funny, I was thinking that we ought to have a plan rather than all of us sitting and waiting for the phone to ring. You just beat me to it!

--- Denise

spazzdog
05-13-2005, 12:16 PM
I just sent my # to Surly. Sent earlier to Denise.

I'll await the go/no go call by 8:30.

THanks grrls! spazz

Surlygirl
05-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Sounds like a plan ladies and I just checked the weather and we may be in luck. Weather.com is saying not till 3:00 now for the rain, but I never trust them. Lets touch base in the morning to confirm or not.

Crankin
05-13-2005, 05:11 PM
What about Anaphase? Does anyone have her #? Is she coming?
Talk to all in the AM

spazzdog
05-13-2005, 05:41 PM
never heard from her...

spazz

anaphase
05-14-2005, 07:46 AM
I sent a reply back to you a while ago. Hrm.
Just got Jodi's PM this morning... too late! Sorry.

I'll definitely make it to the next one.

spazzdog
05-14-2005, 07:48 AM
you probably did anaphase... i forgot.

spazz who has a 20 second short term memory :eek:

CorsairMac
05-14-2005, 10:31 AM
My virtual Mass ride was blown away today - literally. The winds were in the upper 20s with gusts in the upper 30s and woudl've been head/cross winds for the vast majority of the ride! :(
Did ya'll get Your ride in???

spazzdog
05-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Threat of rain postponed... I think a couple of the grrls rode in a different area.

I'm cleaning house - pfffft!

spazz

DeniseGoldberg
05-14-2005, 10:40 AM
My virtual Mass ride was blown away today - literally. The winds were in the upper 20s with gusts in the upper 30s and woudl've been head/cross winds for the vast majority of the ride! :(
Did ya'll get Your ride in???

Well, it was gray and threatening at Jody's house this morning - and she lives the closest to our starting point. So the group ride was canceled. Robyn & I decided to ride anyway, and I was set to drive to her house as the starting point. But then Jody called me back and said that the gray had turned to rain. Robyn & I were both determined to ride, but with the threatening weather we ended up riding on our own. I figured it would be a real bummer for Robyn to wait for me to drive to her place (as it would probably have taken me about 15 minutes to finish getting my act together and a half an hour to drive) and then to have it start raining. So Robyn & I both headed out on our own from our own houses. I managed to get a decent ride in, and guess what - no rain yet! (Not here, anyway.) So maybe I overreacted. Or maybe we should have just moved the ride...

Guess we'll just have to try for our ride next Saturday instead!

--- Denise

Surlygirl
05-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Hey, I made an Judgement call this morning based on the information I had which was the sky was grey and it rained here. Okay, so it only rained for ten minutes and then it was just cloudy. Now its late afternoon and gorgeous. Sorry. Someone else can be chief next time.

DeniseGoldberg
05-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Hey, I made an Judgement call this morning based on the information I had which was the sky was grey and it rained here. Okay, so it only rained for ten minutes and then it was just cloudy. Now its late afternoon and gorgeous. Sorry. Someone else can be chief next time.

No chiefs, no blame, no one's fault! I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way - given that it was rainy at your house it felt like canceling was the right thing to do. I just wasn't willing to give up riding today, especially since it wasn't raining here. Based on your saying that the rain stopped quickly I guess I should have headed to Robyn's house - but I figured I didn't want to hold up either of our rides figuring that if we waited to ride until I could drive over there that we'd all be in the rain!

--- Denise

snapdragen
05-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi girls, we've got a lone Boston rider -- can you point her to a local club?

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=2737

snap "filling in for mother hen jo" dragen

DeniseGoldberg
05-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi girls, we've got a lone Boston rider -- can you point her to a local club?
snap "filling in for mother hen jo" dragen

Hey Snap -
I posted an answer in the other thread - can't be a great deal of help since I'm really a roadie, but I did point her to what I think is a good mountain bike group in the area. Thanks for looking out for folks!
--- Denise

spazzdog
05-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Surly darlin' you made a fine executive decision based on the info at hand. No problem grrl!

Besides my roomie loved it that she had help cleaning the house, plus I got all the laundry done. Clean undies for everybody!! :D

spazz

Crankin
05-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Well, you can't always predict the weather. It did end up to be pretty nice this weekend, though.
We'll do it another time!

Surlygirl
05-16-2005, 06:26 PM
So Karen, How are you?
Just checking in to see how you are.

Crankin
05-17-2005, 03:38 AM
Jody, (and anyone else interested)

Denise and I are going to ride Saturday, leaving from my house. We are going to do a 30 or so mile loop to the Wayside Inn/Grist Mill in Sudbury; mostly back country roads, a few hills. We haven't planned the time yet, but we are going to eat at the Stow Airport Cafe afterwards (near my house). Just let me know. I live 1 mile off of 495, very easy to get to.

Robyn

Surlygirl
05-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Ahh, Stow Airport lounge. I know it well. Hubby and I use to keep our experimental plane there. Of course that was when we were young and foolish and had no kids. ;)
Thanks for the invite Robyn, and I'll have to let you know. I'm going to be in Harvard on Sunday for a birthday party, so I don't know if I can swing being up there two days in a row. Do you live near the Foster's vet hospital? Good friends of ours.
I did 12 miles Saturday evening with DH. Then we did 25 on Sunday with our two oldest boys so the weekend wasn't a total washout.

massbikebabe
05-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Hey Jody:

I'm doing fairly well. I think I passed the biggest part of the stone, now I am just passing what my DH refers to as "gravel". Lord, my babies were much easier than this!! The biggest bummer is I have not been on my bike in over 2 weeks.
First I hurt so much I didn't care...now I am antsy. Sorry you guys had to cancel your ride. I hope to be able to make a fall ride with y'all. We got rain here in Worcester all day on Saturday so I would have banged out of the ride. Since I been down I have been catching up on all my cycling magazines...man if I had a million dollars I'd be driving myself up to Terry. I just love the clothing line this year. Does anybody know how far she is from us Massgrrls?

thanks for asking,
karen

DeniseGoldberg
05-17-2005, 03:34 PM
...man if I had a million dollars I'd be driving myself up to Terry. I just love the clothing line this year. Does anybody know how far she is from us Massgrrls?
Terry is in Macedon, NY, which is just east of Rochester. A bit of a haul from eastern Massachusetts! Road trip?

--- Denise

newfsmith
05-17-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm interested in this Saturday's ride, what time were you planning on meeting?

Crankin
05-17-2005, 04:36 PM
We haven't set a start time yet. Most likely it will be around 9-10 AM. Then we can get back and eat at a reasonable hour. I will let everyone know by tomorrow PM. The weather looks good.

Jody, I don't know the Fosters, but there are 2 vet places on Rt. 111, so one must be theirs. We use a vet in Westford because we used to live closer to there, but it's still not too far away. Cats never need to go! I understand if you can't make it. By the way, the airport cafe is nothing like it used to be; it's quite gourmet type food--still very casual, but I remember the place being pretty grungy a few years ago until Nancy, the owner took it over.

I did a dumb thing today! I was putting air in my rear tire when the little valve that you attach to the pump broke off inside the pump. Of course it was on the rear tire. The tire was pretty full, but in my panic, I took the wheel off and waited for my friend to come for our ride. I decided just to ride with the tire the way it was, but it took me forever to get the wheel back on. My husband is away, so I am having a friend replace the tube for me. I feel confident about fixing the flat part, but putting the chain back on right is really hard for me. I am a mehanical dork!

massbikebabe
05-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Denise:

I did a mapquest and Terry is about 5 hours from me. I don't think that's too far because I spend at least 5 hours in my car shuttling my kids from one sporting event to the next every weekend, and I only have 2...how did my parents do it with 5?? :confused:

karen

Crankin
05-18-2005, 03:45 AM
The weather looks like it may be changing for Sat.!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!
Denise, I will call you tonight.

DeniseGoldberg
05-18-2005, 04:00 AM
The weather looks like it may be changing for Sat.!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!
Denise, I will call you tonight.

Wait - the forecast when I woke up this morning called for a clear day Saturday, and now it says a 30% chance of rain. Yikes! But we let a chance of rain scare us off before, and I'm determined not to do that again. This spring is driving me more than a little crazy. (OK, OK, I was a bit nuts to start with...).

Newfsmith? Anaphase? You still interested?

I'll talk with you later.

--- Denise

Surlygirl
05-18-2005, 04:35 AM
[QUOTE=massbikebabe]Hey Jody:

First I hurt so much I didn't care...now I am antsy. Sorry you guys had to cancel your ride. I hope to be able to make a fall ride with y'all. We got rain here in Worcester all day on Saturday so I would have banged out of the ride.

Ah for some of us it wasnt' the chance of rain Denise, it actually rained here.

DeniseGoldberg
05-18-2005, 05:08 AM
Ah for some of us it wasnt' the chance of rain Denise, it actually rained here.
Jody -
Well that makes me feel a little better about biking at home last Saturday instead of heading out to Hopkinton - although Robyn had a dry ride around her place too.
--- Denise

spazzdog
05-18-2005, 05:49 AM
Perhaps we should all take up fishing... I've heard fish bite best in the rain. :rolleyes:

Hope y'all can get out on the 21st... the weather forecast for the Boston area seems to be steadily disintegrating. Me... gotta go to my lil part time job that day.

Awaiting July/August with bated breath...

spazz

massbikebabe
05-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Hey Jody:

How's that Brooks saddle working for ya??

karen

newfsmith
05-18-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm still interested in riding Saturday. I even got the yard mowed tonight after riding home; so that is one less thing that I have to feel guilty about not doing on the week-end, making a ride not so much of an indulgence.

Crankin
05-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Newfsmith, our ride is on for Saturday. We are leaving my house at 9:30. I will PM you directions, etc.

Anyone else interested?

Robyn

newfsmith
05-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Many thanks to Robyn for leading us on a great ride in the Bolton-Stow-Hudson area of MA. All 3 of us commute to work, so we talked bikes over a great lunch at the end of the ride. Denise should get a commission from Bike Friday, I think I know what my husband's 60th birthday present will be! Looking forward to our next ride.

DeniseGoldberg
05-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Many thanks to Robyn for leading us on a great ride in the Bolton-Stow-Hudson area of MA.
I second the thanks to Robyn - it was a treat to ride in an unfamiliar place without having to navigate! And I was happy to meet you too for the first time. It sounds like a good ride was had by all (assuming, of course, that Robyn agrees!).

Oh, and I think we really lucked out weather-wise. No sooner did I get home than the temperature dropped back to the mid-40s and it started raining. It's stopped again now, but it would have been a pretty unpleasant cold rain for riding. I'm so glad we had a dry ride.

But of course you're the person who deserves a big prize for commuting to work year round! I guess you could say I'm a fair weather commuter - I need daylignt on both ends of the day + reasonable weather.

Here's hoping that today was the first of many rides.
--- Denise

Crankin
05-22-2005, 02:12 PM
OK, everyone, here's the proof that we actually rode. Well, the picture is in my kitchen, so I guess it's proof that we were actually together.

Great ride yesterday. I just looked at my calendar and the next time I could do a ride is on Sunday June 5th or Sunday, June 19th (that would have to be early in the day). Maybe it will be warm and sunny.
If anyone is interested, Steve and I will be co-leading rides for AMC on May 29th (5 covered bridges in SW NH, 35 miles, mostly flat) and June 18th (Harvard-Bolton, climbing, with ice cream stop). You need to pre register, so let me know.

DeniseGoldberg
05-22-2005, 02:29 PM
...the next time I could do a ride is on Sunday June 5th or Sunday, June 19th (that would have to be early in the day). Maybe it will be warm and sunny.

I'm definitely up for riding on June 5th - and I just put it on my calendar.

And Robyn - how was your son's graduation today? I'm hoping you just had the same gray skies that we had here, and not rain.

--- Denise

Crankin
05-22-2005, 04:36 PM
I will put you on the calendar for June 5th. Something pretty light; i will be doing 50-67 miles on the 4th.

We got to Amherst at 8 AM for a 10 AM ceremony. We didn't want to mess with the traffic. So for 2 hours, we sat in an almost empty stadium in full cycling rain gear! Some people were in sandals and had no coats. I had a wool pants suit on underneath and i could have had another layer. The rain wasn't hard, except at one point about 20 minutes before the thing started. Then, miraculously, it stopped. It didn't rain at all during the commencement. We had a good eye view of Josh, considering that there are so many graduates. Went out to brunch at the Northampton Inn; it was really nice and we decided we would have to plan a cycling weekend out there, since we no longer have a person to visit. He will be moving home slowly, over the next week and then starting his job June 1st. Now my younger son, who enlisted in the Marines after a year of college told us he is applying to the Naval Academy... this kid will keep me guessing until I am very old.

spazzdog
05-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Anybody ever attended one of these?

They have a womens training camp scheduled for June 13-16 plus some other interesting (co-ed) camps.

hrrp://www.ridenoho.com

spazz

DeniseGoldberg
05-23-2005, 04:30 AM
I will put you on the calendar for June 5th. Something pretty light; i will be doing 50-67 miles on the 4th.

If you think riding on the 5th won't work (due to your previous day's plans) just let me know. I'm OK with something light if the weather on the 4th supports me doing a long ride on Saturday...

--- Denise

Crankin
05-23-2005, 05:19 AM
Riding on the 5th will be fine. I think something like we did Sat. will work. I just don't want to do 45-50 miles 2 days in a row. It will be good practice for my trip in July. Plus the weekend after that I am going to the Berkshires for 3 days of riding, some of which is very challenging.

I looked at the Ride Noho site. I don't know how I would classify myself. I generally ride at 15 if given my freedom, but I live in such a hilly area (the flattest is rolling) that I don't know how long I could maintain 15-17 on a flat, because there are no flats where I ride. It sounds like it would be too competitive for me, although I notice I get pretty competitive when I am riding with certain types of people. Yet, I wouldn't want to be dropped! On the other hand, I don't think I meet the requirements for their level C rides, although I may ride at that speed when I am with others, it seems like those are more for beginners. So, any cycling trips to the Pioneer valley would probably be just me and my husband riding.

SadieKate
05-23-2005, 08:42 AM
So who is who? I'm guessing that's Denise with the tres chic purple warmers.

So, we've got right and left coast pics from the weekend. What about you girls in the middle?

DeniseGoldberg
05-23-2005, 08:52 AM
So who is who? I'm guessing that's Denise with the tres chic purple warmers.

Ah, the purple gave me away! You're right, that's me in the middle. Robyn is on the left (as you look at the picture), and Jean (newfsmith) is on the right. And Jean, I'm sorry if I spelled your name wrong!

--- Denise

SadieKate
05-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Hard to go incognito in purple armwarmers. :p

Thanks for the ID. Fun to put some faces to names and I feel us left coasters can dominate the forum. We're just lucky that so many of us are fairly close geographically and our weather lets ride (at least off and on) throughout the year.

Post more pics as you do more rides! Share the fun!

Crankin
05-23-2005, 10:04 AM
I also was very impressed with the purple arm warmers. Of course, I was wearing a long sleeved wool jersey... even had a jacket on for the first few minutes and last few minutes of the ride. I think all of those years in AZ did something to me! I happened to lurk on the southwest thread a few days ago and saw that someone said that they get up at 3 AM to ride (because it's so ****** hot). Although the rainy and cool spring is getting to me, I wouldn't trade it for 114 degrees.

Hoping to get a ride in when I get home, but, it looks so raw out, I might have to go to Pilates...

newfsmith
05-23-2005, 06:08 PM
I would like to ride again the 5th. I will have to change one other committment, so I'll make that a tentative "I'll be there." Just got home from work, in the dark and drizzle, and I am beginning to think that it is never going to get better than March weather. The NoHo courses do look interesting, but I wouldn't know how to classify myself either. Of course all my vacation time is already committed, so that is really fantasy stuff for me.

spazzdog
06-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Anybody doing a group ride on this day? Or a solo but wouldn't mind company?

spazz

Crankin
06-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Spazz,

I am leading a group ride on the 18th. If you can stand the earthy crunchy AMC people (actually I know all of the people who have signed up except one),I would love to have you come. We leave from Blanchard Mem. School on Rt. 111 in Boxborough at 1 PM. Be there about 15 minutes early, because I have to give the "safety" shpiel. This is a 23.5 mile ride, with lots of climbing, but we are going at a "relaxed" pace. It will probably be like the pace of the ride we did a couple of weeks ago. Oh yea, and there's an ice cream stop at Hebert's Candy House in Bolton. If you can or want to come, let me know and I will give you more specific directions to the starting place. This is strictly a social group...

Robyn

spazzdog
06-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Go ahead and PM me the directions (or post 'em out loud :D ). I'll give you a buzz Sat morning to confirm if I'll be there. I don't think I have your #, so PM that as well, if you don't mind.

Thanks for the invite.

spazzdog

spazzdog
06-24-2005, 04:01 AM
I'm popping over to the REI in Reading for the 10 AM Charles River Wheelmen ride. It's a 20 miler - they give out cue sheets, but generally lots of folks of varied abilities show for this.

Anybody wanna go? I'm meeting up with a bikeforum guy there.

SadieKate
06-24-2005, 08:20 AM
earthy crunchy AMC people I have to know. Is this the same as what I call the "Orgo-natch" folks here in the Republic of Davis? Birkenstocks required for membership?

newfsmith
06-25-2005, 10:11 AM
I have to know. Is this the same as what I call the "Orgo-natch" folks here in the Republic of Davis? Birkenstocks required for membership?

Birkies are only for in town wear, Tevas and Merrells are the preferred footwear of the AMC types.

Crankin
07-04-2005, 05:50 AM
Thanks, Jean for setting the stereotype straight. I don't have Tevas, Birks, or Merrells (well, I have some Merrell snow boots), and i manage to get along with everyone in AMC.
I do have a pair of Keene sandals. I think they would qualify to be in this category. I use them for canoeing and walking on the beach, etc.

Robyn