PDA

View Full Version : Clipless Pedals/Shoes Question

Carm
03-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi,

I just purchased a new road bike and now need to make the decision on what kind of pedals to get. I have some knee pain so the pedals need to have some float. I found that a women's cycling shoe fits me best as I have a narrow heel.

I would love to get your advice on which clipless pedal system to get and a shoe recommendation. Thanks in advance for your help. :o

DeniseGoldberg
03-19-2005, 03:15 PM
I'll throw another question in with the ones you have already. Do you have a preference of road shoes or mountain shoes? I only ride on the road, but I have used mountain bike shoes for years because I want a recessed cleat. I travel with my bike, and clomping around setting up camp somewhere or bringing my bike inside my evening's accommodation while trying not to trip on a protruding (& slippery) cleat is something I gave up many years ago!

I use Sidi Dominator (women's) shoes, which are very stiff, and Speedplay's Frog pedals which are a totally free-float pedal.

--- Denise

Bike Goddess
03-19-2005, 03:41 PM
CARM- Here's my two cents worth- I have arthritis in my knees so I needed to find pedals with a good platform. Also, I wanted ones that would be easy to get out of and comfortable for long rides.

I picked up pedals from Performance Bikes which look like Look pedals, just a little less expensive. I use Specialized Carbon Fiber shoes for women as they are narrower in the heel. I LOVE this setup! The cleats are called "floating" cleats which gives you a little float when you are riding.

I have zero problems with my knees. That's right- ZERO!
I also recommend that you make sure you are properly fitted height wise, seat wise, etc as that will also make a huge difference in how your knees adjust to cycling.

Good Luck and let us know your progress! :) :) :)

Trek420
03-19-2005, 06:15 PM
DeniseGoldberg uses "Speedplay's Frog pedals which are a totally free-float pedal."

I gotta question for Speedplay users, if they are totaly free-float how do you unclip?

I mostly wear Shimano ATB shoes with a Shimano clipless pedal system. If I turn my heel in any direction past the float it just unclips so I always wondered; if it just floats, what's the action to unclip?

Am I making sense?

DeniseGoldberg
03-19-2005, 07:20 PM
I gotta question for Speedplay users, if they are totaly free-float how do you unclip?
Of course you're right - at some point they do unclip! What I meant by totally free float is that you don't have to push through anything to release the pedal. There is no pressure at all to release - you simply move your heel to the side and lift your foot. And the release point is far enough over that I have never unclipped accidentally. With my "before Frog" pedals (sorry, it's too many years ago for me to remember which pedals they were) I had to push through to release. It's hard to describe, but free-float is the best description for me.

From the description of the pedal on the Speedplay (http://www.speedplay.com) web site: "Lightning-fast release puts an end to falls caused by pedals that won't disengage. ... Knee-friendly, non-centering free float."

--- Denise

Carm
03-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Hi Denise - at this point I don't have a preference. I have tried on the Shimano MTB shoes and they fit well and felt good. I too am concerned about the ability to walk off the bike but just wanted to hear what others are using so I didn't state a preference.

Nancy - congratulations on overcoming your arthritis in your knees. You give me hope!

Carm :p

cruziegirl
03-20-2005, 12:06 PM
I recently switched from SPD's to Speedplay Zeros and I love them. I had to buy Sidi road shoes (oh darn) as the Zero cleats wouldn't fit on my Specialized ATB shoes. The cleat is enormous so it makes walking a bit of a challenge but you can get cafe covers that help quite a bit. The Zeros can be adjusted Heel In/Heel Out from Zero to 15 degrees of float so basically you can fine-tune each cleat for each leg. The Sidi road shoes have this really great stiff sole and with the big cleat I feel like I have this nice big platform for my foot. I can't believe what a difference these have made with how I feel on the bike. The cleats take a bit more fiddling than the SPD's in that you have to lube them with White Lightening every couple of rides and you're supposed to lube the pedal itself every 2000 miles. Also, you need to be careful not to step into a blob of mud or you'll foul the cleat and it won't work properly until you take it apart and clean it. I haven't run into this problem but it should be kept in mind depending on the type of terrain/riding you do. Denise, I think your Speedplay Frogs have a self-cleaning cleat, don't they? In any event, I'm now a devoted Speedplay fan.

DeniseGoldberg
03-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Denise, I think your Speedplay Frogs have a self-cleaning cleat, don't they? In any event, I'm now a devoted Speedplay fan.

Self-cleaning? Pretty much - there have been one or two rare occasions when I've managed to walk in mud so thick I had to help out by scraping some of the mud out, but that's 1 or 2 times in many many years. I can't remember exactly when I switched to the Frog pedals, but it seems like it's been at least 10 years.

cyclingnewbie
03-21-2005, 06:40 PM
I have Look pedals and a pair of Lake men's "walking" road shoes, which has a recessed cleat, similar to the mountain shoes. I like both. I need a wider shoe because of a foot problem, and they are conforming enough to not be a problem in the heel. I got the pedals for $50 during a clearance sale at Nashbar a couple years ago, which turned out to be a great price. At the time, a friend just pointed to them and said, "Buy these", so I did. Then I figured out that they were a great price. They have a nine degree float, and I haven't had any problems.

Number 7
04-04-2005, 04:14 PM
i have look pedals and i wear shimano women's road shoe, b/c they're narrower than the men's. i have knee problems as well, and so far the look pedals haven't caused any problems at all. the pedals give a wide range a float, which help with the knees. i'm very happy with the combination and wouldn't change. :)

joyrider
04-04-2005, 08:59 PM
:confused: ...but what is "float" in a pedal? And can you get it without being clipped in?

Biking Chick
04-05-2005, 05:02 AM
I only ride on the road, but I have used mountain bike shoes for years because I want a recessed cleat. I travel with my bike, and clomping around setting up camp somewhere or bringing my bike inside my evening's accommodation while trying not to trip on a protruding (& slippery) cleat is something I gave up many years ago! I use Sidi Dominator (women's) shoes, which are very stiff, and Speedplay's Frog pedals which are a totally free-float pedal.

--- Denise

Another vote for Sidi Dominator shoes as well as using mountain bike shoes rather than road shoes. Of all the shoes that I've tried the Dominator is the only one that I've found that fits my foot both on and off the bike. All our bikes have Shimano pedals and have not had any problems.

Just my two cents worth

DeniseGoldberg
04-05-2005, 05:19 AM
:confused: ...but what is "float" in a pedal? And can you get it without being clipped in?

Float is related to clipless pedals (bad name, since you do clip in!). Some pedals hold your foot in a fixed position, and others allow some movement (or float). The amount of float is different on different pedals.

CorsairMac
04-05-2005, 08:47 AM
I use Shimano SPD's with Specialized MTB shoes for the commuter bike and Specialized Road Shoes for the road bike. I looked at the Speedplay but I don't have any problems with my knees and several ppl I talked to at my LBS said then don't use them as they could screw my knees up. One guys wife had Speedplays and she couldn't Wait to get them off....said the float was too disconcerting for her. So I stayed with the Shimano SPDs for the road bike I'm rebuilding (he'll be ready Thurs or Fri! :D ) I wear the MTB on the commuter coz I have to do quite a bit of walking and they were by far the easiest and most comfortable. I went with road shoes for the road bike coz I'm not planning on being out of the saddle cept for climbs, sprints, and to take him out and put him back! ;) (only on sunny days of course!)

neuroticcyclist
04-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Another vote for the Sidi Dominators. I find the SPD pedal is too fixed for long mileage, so used Look on the road/SPD on the mountain bike for years. My new bike (YES!!) came with the new Shimano road pedals (where you clip in like the Looks, have a wide platform and plenty of float). So far, they are light, easy to use, don't give hot spots in the feet and easy on my knees. Defininately something to look at if you are getting the Shimano Ultegra or Dura Ace kit.

Susan126
04-11-2005, 06:13 AM
I use the time xs on my mountain bike and speedplay x series on my road bike. I love float and I love both systems. I also had some knee pain when I rode on my road bike but after getting a bike fit all is fine. Seat height, foot position, handlebars, all that is very important. At least for me it was. I can ride all day on either bike with no pain except the ones I inflict (the occasional tumble LOL) on myself.

Sue

betagirl
04-15-2005, 05:13 PM
I have Lake CX 160 shoes, which I really like. And bebop pedals. I have bad knees and this combo doesn't seem to give me any problems.

Good luck!

spazzdog
04-15-2005, 06:27 PM
I started, yrs ago, with LOOK or TIME (name that magazine) pedals. I hated them. I'm soooo pigeon toed that when I stood to pump I unclipped.

In 1990 I got Speedplay X1 or X2 (don't remember... they used the same cleat) and I've been on them ever since... the same pedals I got in '90. Just keep 'em clean and lubed. The free-float works for me in an amazing way. To unclip I just pull my foot up. My knees are happy, thus I am happy.

I currently wear SIDI Genius 5 Lorica's with the X2 cleat. The shim required is negligable. It is the best match I've found. My feet are a full size different and the "crank" to fit feature of the SIDI works great. I wore a Specialized shoe before and the shims necessary for the Speedplays made walking, even with cleat covers, uncomfortable.

I'm considering moving to Speedplay Zero's with the dial-in float, but I'd need to try them and see what the max float felt like before I drop the $$.

spazz

Carm
04-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for all of the great advice. Well, in my quest to find a good fitting cycling shoe for my feet with narrow heels , I think I've tried on/or ordered every model there is including Diadora, Specialized, Shimano, Nike and Sidi. Finally after spending about $60.00 in shipping costs (receiving and returning), :( , I ended up with the Sidi Women's Bullet 2 in a size 40 1/2. They are so comfortable and seem well made. Tonight, I went for my bike fit and had my new Eggbeater pedals put on. Yikes, clipping in is sure different from the ol toe clips. But I'm determined - after all I don't want all of those trips to the UPS store to be for nothing!

Thanks again for helping me with my decision. Carmen :o

KSH
05-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi,

I just purchased a new road bike and now need to make the decision on what kind of pedals to get. I have some knee pain so the pedals need to have some float. I found that a women's cycling shoe fits me best as I have a narrow heel.

I would love to get your advice on which clipless pedal system to get and a shoe recommendation. Thanks in advance for your help. :o

I say start with the SpeedPlay peddals... that won't lock your knee into a possibly bad position.

On the shoes... well... no advice on that one.... but best of luck to you!

emily_in_nc
05-03-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for all of the great advice. Well, in my quest to find a good fitting cycling shoe for my feet with narrow heels , I think I've tried on/or ordered every model there is including Diadora, Specialized, Shimano, Nike and Sidi. Finally after spending about $60.00 in shipping costs (receiving and returning), :( , I ended up with the Sidi Women's Bullet 2 in a size 40 1/2. They are so comfortable and seem well made. Tonight, I went for my bike fit and had my new Eggbeater pedals put on. Yikes, clipping in is sure different from the ol toe clips. But I'm determined - after all I don't want all of those trips to the UPS store to be for nothing!

Thanks again for helping me with my decision. Carmen :o

Carm - enjoy your Eggbeaters! I have the Eggbeater Candies on my Bike Friday and my mountain bike and love them...

Emily in NC

singletrackmind
05-03-2005, 07:51 AM
I started with Speciallized Women's mountain bike shoes and now have the Sidi's women's mountain bike shoe. Both worked fine for me but the Sidi's have so far been superior in quality and have outlasted the other shoes by 4 years and are still in great shape with well over 10,000 miles on them.

I can't really help on pedals-everything we own is either shimano or platform-to make life easier.

Good luck!