PDA

View Full Version : shortie needs help finding bike!

celerystalksme
05-05-2008, 09:23 AM
alright...so here's the deal. i'm actually male. i hope that's ok. i'm short. i hope that's ok too. i'm looking for a good cx bike that won't break the bank and that will fit me!!!!!!!

i'm 5'5" which is darn short for a guy. and my inseam is around 28.5" (724mm). i say 'around' because i swear it changes!!!! it's been as low as 28.1" and as high as 28.9"! i measure myself barefoot with my feet about 3-4 inches apart. i measured myself this morning and it was 28.9". i can BARELY stand over the top tube of my 2007 specialized roubaix expert compact rival...which as a alleged stand over height of 724mm.

i'm sorta fixated on my inseam because that's where i same to run into fit problems. doesn't seem like there are many affordable and race-worthy cross frames that will fit me! i prefer steel or titanium...but i'll go carbon or aluminum if i have to.

so what bikes have fit the shorter ladies?

thanks!!!!!

Veronica
05-05-2008, 09:28 AM
How about a Rivendell Legolas?

V.

celerystalksme
05-05-2008, 09:34 AM
How about a Rivendell Legolas?

V.

hmmm...well, i just took a look at it. $1800 for frame, headset, and fork? did i read that right? my build kit will be $1000 or more. that total build might cost me $2800 minimum...probably closer to $3500. i think i want something more affordable if i can!

reason being...i've never 'crossed before so i don't want to break the bank. also...i'm planning on getting a new road bike, a entry but good touring bike, upgrading my tt/tri bike, getting a entry but good mtb, and mayb getting a fixie...all within the next 12 months!

buying bike stuff is my drug... :(

Blueberry
05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
42 cm surly crosscheck?

CA

Becky
05-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Surly Crosscheck or Soma DoubleCross would be my first thoughts. IIRC, they're both compact geometry, and come as small as 42 cm.

Pam Sayler
05-05-2008, 11:07 AM
OK, so you are 5'5", and a guy. welcome to our height. 5'5" is not short for a lady (not to say that I am a lady, but anyway...) any good brand will have a 44-49 in their line, and any real bike shop will have a selection of these sizes, without you breaking your piggy bank.
do you want a cyclo cross bike? try the Bianchi Cross Concept - they've got the widest range of sizes of any bike manufacturer - hence my nickname...bianchibikermom... to be more specific, short bianchi cross concept mom.
ride in the mud

mimitabby
05-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Bianchi makes the VOLPE too, it's a cross bike and it come in a small size
and last i looked it was less than 1000 .

spokewench
05-05-2008, 11:24 AM
If you're looking for a cross bike - redline makes a 50 and I think a 48 - I have a 50, I am 5'4". You could try either one.

spoke

Drtgirl
05-05-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm 5'4" and ride a Redline conquest in a 48cm. It's perfect. I also tried a 49cm Bianchi Axis but the top tube was a bit long.

dex
05-05-2008, 12:11 PM
With your standover, the Surly is probably out. The smallest size it comes in (42cm) is listed with a 28.8" standover.

A 44cm Bianchi Axis or a 42cm Soma Double Cross might work, as they're both listed with 28" standover, but they could very well be a bit too short in the top tube for you--both are around 520mm effective top tube.

I'm about the same height as you, with just a tiny bit more inseam length, and my bike fit problems are generally around finding something long enough across the top that's short enough for me to get my legs over.

Good luck!

celerystalksme
05-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Surly Crosscheck or Soma DoubleCross would be my first thoughts. IIRC, they're both compact geometry, and come as small as 42 cm.

looked at the cross check...their smallest frame might have be a bit too tall for me...i don't think i'll have the stand over clearance. thought about the double cross as well...but i've only found it sold as a frame. ive never built up a bike before...not sure if i'm prepared to pick out every thing, from fork to handlebars...especially for cyclocross since it'll be my first foray into the fray. i could probably build up a roadie...but i'm just not familiar enough with cx components...

Blueberry
05-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I ride a 50cm cross check and have a 29" inseam. I think Surly is pretty generous with their standovers (when I first got it, it had 35mm tires, so should have been worse than spec).

CA

celerystalksme
05-05-2008, 01:00 PM
OK, so you are 5'5", and a guy. welcome to our height. 5'5" is not short for a lady (not to say that I am a lady, but anyway...) any good brand will have a 44-49 in their line, and any real bike shop will have a selection of these sizes, without you breaking your piggy bank.
do you want a cyclo cross bike? try the Bianchi Cross Concept - they've got the widest range of sizes of any bike manufacturer - hence my nickname...bianchibikermom... to be more specific, short bianchi cross concept mom.
ride in the mud

you'd think it'd be easy. tried my bianchi dealer...the cross concept comes in a 44 which MIGHT fit me but they don't stock that size (same with axis and volpe). besides...to be honest, i think aluminum would be my last frame material choice. trek doesn't make a cx bike small enough...giant doesn't make a cx bike small enough...blue doesn't make a cx bike small enough...specialized doesn't make a cx bike small enough...

now...pinarello has a cx bike that SHOULD fit me...but my pinarello dealer will have to special order the smallest size for me. but they won't order it unless i buy it so i can't know for certain unless i just buy it...and the carbon cross bike is something like $3400...

*sigh*

i was hoping to stay under $2K since i'm not sure if i'll love cyclocross or not...

Veronica
05-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Nice thing about the Legolas is it also makes a great road bike. :D That's actually how I set mine up.

V.

celerystalksme
05-05-2008, 01:04 PM
If you're looking for a cross bike - redline makes a 50 and I think a 48 - I have a 50, I am 5'4". You could try either one.

spoke

i don't have a redline dealer near me, which sorta stinks because i'd rather buy from a local bike shop if possible. also...after perusing redlines website, their cx bikes might not fit me...their smallest size (44cm) has a standover of 736mm...my inseam with my feet 3-ish inches apart is 724. it MIGHT fit since shoes will add a few centimeters...but off setting that would be the fact that my feet are much farther apart than 3 inches when actually stand over a bike...

celerystalksme
05-05-2008, 01:05 PM
i might just have to throw money at the problem and go custom...

if anyone knows someone that'll buy a kidney, i'll sell one of mine...

mimitabby
05-05-2008, 01:15 PM
you'd think it'd be easy. tried my bianchi dealer...the cross concept comes in a 44 which MIGHT fit me but they don't stock that size (same with axis and volpe). besides...to be honest, i think aluminum would be my last frame material choice. trek doesn't make a cx bike small enough...giant doesn't make a cx bike small enough...blue doesn't make a cx bike small enough...specialized doesn't make a cx bike small enough...

now...pinarello has a cx bike that SHOULD fit me...but my pinarello dealer will have to special order the smallest size for me. but they won't order it unless i buy it so i can't know for certain unless i just buy it...and the carbon cross bike is something like $3400...

*sigh*

i was hoping to stay under $2K since i'm not sure if i'll love cyclocross or not...

THere's more than one bike shop, isnt' there? they can ORDER a bike for you if nothing else!

and nothing wrong with going custom (except it's expensive) i did it!! and so did a lot of others here.

celerystalksme
05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
THere's more than one bike shop, isnt' there? they can ORDER a bike for you if nothing else!

and nothing wrong with going custom (except it's expensive) i did it!! and so did a lot of others here.

there's a bunch of bike shops. the bianchi dealer says he's not ordering any bianchi's right now as he's not sure if he'll be a dealer much longer. the pinarello dealer says he's not ordering unless i buy it...which sucks cuz i won't be able to make sure it fits before plunking down $3400.

and none of the other manufacturers have anything that'll fit me...at least, none of the other manufacturers that any of my local bike shops deal with...

if i go custom...i can go cheap and get a habanero titanium...or i can just start selling organs on the black market and go for broke...IF, Serotta (my gawd that things heavy though), Seven, whatever...

VeloVT
05-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Standover is likely to be more of an issue for you with cross bikes, if you have a short inseam, because cross bikes often have higher bottom brackets so the bike is taller overall. Compact geometry is probably going to be mandatory for you.

Trek makes the XO1 for around $1500, looks like a solid entry level bike. XS is 47cm, but standover is 74 cm...

Also Felt F1X, which comes in 49cm, but again has standover of 74.4...

Specialized Tricross, similar... Nothing seems to have a standover of much less than

Are you absolutely sure you're measuring correctly? I'm about your height (5'6" actually) but have an inseam of 80cm. My legs are not freakishly long (in fact I'm a little long-waisted). I have a 52 cm Bianchi Axis that fits me well. (hmmm, looks like they've downgraded the Axis from 105 parts to Tiagra... annoying...).

Wonder why your first choice for a cross **race** bike is steel? I could see that for general riding, but alu is going to be stiffer, snappier, probably a bit lighter (unless you shell out $$$$$) -- seems a more logical choice for racing?

What's your budget? Sounds like it's actually a little more flexible than you're letting on :D?

celerystalksme
05-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Standover is likely to be more of an issue for you with cross bikes, if you have a short inseam, because cross bikes often have higher bottom brackets so the bike is taller overall. Compact geometry is probably going to be mandatory for you.

Trek makes the XO1 for around $1500, looks like a solid entry level bike. XS is 47cm, but standover is 74 cm...

Also Felt F1X, which comes in 49cm, but again has standover of 74.4...

Specialized Tricross, similar... Nothing seems to have a standover of much less than

Are you absolutely sure you're measuring correctly? I'm about your height (5'6" actually) but have an inseam of 80cm. My legs are not freakishly long (in fact I'm a little long-waisted). I have a 52 cm Bianchi Axis that fits me well. (hmmm, looks like they've downgraded the Axis from 105 parts to Tiagra... annoying...).

Wonder why your first choice for a cross **race** bike is steel? I could see that for general riding, but alu is going to be stiffer, snappier, probably a bit lighter (unless you shell out $$$$$) -- seems a more logical choice for racing?

What's your budget? Sounds like it's actually a little more flexible than you're letting on :D?

i'm positive i'm measuring correctly. and i can BARELY clear the top tube on my XS '07 specialized roubaix expert compact rival...which has a stand over clearance of 724mm. why steel as my first choice? mostly comfort...i'm afraid aluminum might be too jarring of a ride (i have ever ridden aluminum, but the conjecture i've read about the ride quality makes me wary of them)...not to mention aluminum might be the most fragile material in the even of a crash (either aluminum or a poorly designed/manufactured carbon frame)...

budget? haven't REALLY set one. since this is my first cross bike, i'm was hoping to spend less than $2K...but if i have to, i'll go custom and break the bank...if i hate the sport, i can use it as a commuter and around-town bike...

VeloVT
05-05-2008, 08:26 PM
why steel as my first choice? mostly comfort...i'm afraid aluminum might be too jarring of a ride (i have ever ridden aluminum, but the conjecture i've read about the ride quality makes me wary of them)...not to mention aluminum might be the most fragile material in the even of a crash (either aluminum or a poorly designed/manufactured carbon frame)...

Consider that wide, knobby tires, even on pavement, have a VERY different ride feel than skinny road tires. Also much of your courses will be dirt/grass/mud/sand. My first road bike was aluminum (just upgraded to carbon), and it's not nearly as bad as it is portrayed, in my opinion. Definitely harsher than carbon or steel, but the jarring comes not so much from *big bumps* like you'd encounter on a trail, but from constant road chatter that doesn't get damped. However, as said before, wide low-pressure tires will eat that up, and it isn't likely to be as big of a deal on non-paved/gravel surfaces.

As for crashes -- steel bends, alu fails. Which is stronger depends on the alloy, but I wouldn't say steel is necessarily *generally* stronger. It is easier to weld back into shape though, so a wrecked frame may be salvageable.

Anyway, people have material preferences and that's fine, I'm not trying to convert you (not like I'm a massive aluminum fan or anything), I just think it's probably worth at least testing a few, you may find it a bit racier feeling than steel while not being quite as harsh as you expect...

(Edit: by the way, please cut me a little slack if this post and/or the previous one seemed a little, um, lacking in social graces... it's way past my bed time, I'm tired, I spent all day taking exams but for some reason I'd rather read about bikes online than go to bed... go figure ;) ).

celerystalksme
05-06-2008, 05:45 AM
(Edit: by the way, please cut me a little slack if this post and/or the previous one seemed a little, um, lacking in social graces... it's way past my bed time, I'm tired, I spent all day taking exams but for some reason I'd rather read about bikes online than go to bed... go figure ;) ).

no worries! :) your post was perfectly fine. i've even soften my position on aluminum frames. how about this though...lets say i don't enjoy cyclocross...will the aluminum frame be a little too rough on pavement for commuting?

VeloVT
05-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't think I can answer that :o. Depends on the bike and on the rider's preference. I commute on my cx bike, with cx tires and with road tires, and it's OK with me, but I think it's pretty individual (and does differ from bike to bike).

Good luck!

Sheesh
05-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Have you told your LBS what your plans are for future bike purchases? Given the amount of money you're likely to spend in the future, I'd think a shop owner would go out of their way to help you find a cross bike that works for you, in the hopes of getting your repeat business on the other stuff you mentioned. At least, that's what my favorite LBS would do. :D

RE: commuting on aluminum - my first road bike was aluminum and I used it as a commuter. I then upgraded to carbon, and sold the aluminum. But, when I bought my cross bike, I got a Redline Conquest Pro in aluminum and it makes for a great commuter!

Good luck finding a cross bike that fits! Careful, cross is addicting!

SheFly
05-08-2008, 08:07 AM
I agree with Liza on the steel vs. aluminum comments. I race 'cross A LOT, and do it on an aluminum frame (actually two of them :D). You would have to have a VERY SERIOUS crash to break an aluminum frame, and with the amount of carrying involved, it is MUCH lighter than the steel alternative (I am actually thinking about moving to carbon...).

Like others, my first road bikes were aluminum, and I loved them (till I discovered carbon). That said, my winter commuter is my old aluminum cross bike, and I put A LOT of road miles on it very comfortably.

SheFly

celerystalksme
05-08-2008, 09:30 AM
I agree with Liza on the steel vs. aluminum comments. I race 'cross A LOT, and do it on an aluminum frame (actually two of them :D). You would have to have a VERY SERIOUS crash to break an aluminum frame, and with the amount of carrying involved, it is MUCH lighter than the steel alternative (I am actually thinking about moving to carbon...).

Like others, my first road bikes were aluminum, and I loved them (till I discovered carbon). That said, my winter commuter is my old aluminum cross bike, and I put A LOT of road miles on it very comfortably.

SheFly

well...i'm pretty sure the ONLY frames that'll fit me are Bianchi and MAYBE Pinarello. so i'll probably end up with aluminum or carbon. the pinarello looks sorta nice...so does the bianchi...

i'll have to see what i have to do in order to get my LBS's to order the smallest size without me buying it first...

obie
05-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't have my inseam measurements on hand, but I'm only 5'1" (on a good day!) and I very comfortably race on a Surly Cross-Check. I have a long torso too, so presumably there's not much left in my inseam :)

Is there a local bike club around where maybe you could find a used cross bike to buy or test ride? That way you won't be making such an investment on equipment before you've gotten to try out the sport! (I mean, I'm sure you'll love cross because it's awesome, but there's a lot of great used bikes out there for cheap!)

celerystalksme
05-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't have my inseam measurements on hand, but I'm only 5'1" (on a good day!) and I very comfortably race on a Surly Cross-Check. I have a long torso too, so presumably there's not much left in my inseam :)

Is there a local bike club around where maybe you could find a used cross bike to buy or test ride? That way you won't be making such an investment on equipment before you've gotten to try out the sport! (I mean, I'm sure you'll love cross because it's awesome, but there's a lot of great used bikes out there for cheap!)

i'm short...all the guys i know that cross have bikes way too big for me!

oh...and i'm all over craigslist and ebay looking for cheap used bikes. i've actually found a bunch! :) but all too big for me. so...i may be off shopping for a new pinarello or bianchi.

Eden
05-08-2008, 02:23 PM
You might check out Redline just for kicks too - I have an inseam maybe a bit shorter than yours. I think mine is 28.5 - 29ish depending on how tight I want to hold the book ;). I can stand over a 44cm Redline - but being that I'm only 5 feet even, with that inseam, the reach is way to long.... Now I am not too sure how much I'd want to *race* said 44cm bike... the clearance is small enough that a misstep on a mount or dismount could be diasterous, and I'm not a man.

SheFly
05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
i'm short...all the guys i know that cross have bikes way too big for me!

oh...and i'm all over craigslist and ebay looking for cheap used bikes. i've actually found a bunch! :) but all too big for me. so...i may be off shopping for a new pinarello or bianchi.

Um - what about local women riders who are short and may have used bikes (or even non local...)?

SheFly

p.s.
After all of your responses, it sounds to me like you want a Bianchi or Pinerello regardless of what we say :D

celerystalksme
05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
You might check out Redline just for kicks too - I have an inseam maybe a bit shorter than yours. I think mine is 28.5 - 29ish depending on how tight I want to hold the book ;). I can stand over a 44cm Redline - but being that I'm only 5 feet even, with that inseam, the reach is way to long.... Now I am not too sure how much I'd want to *race* said 44cm bike... the clearance is small enough that a misstep on a mount or dismount could be diasterous, and I'm not a man.

i looked at the redline bikes...according to their site, the standover on the 44cm bike is 736mm (28.98 inches). i thought that might be cutting a bit close!

bluebug32
05-09-2008, 12:42 PM
What about a Kona Jake or Jake the Snake?

I know the latter is a bit expensive (I built one up from the frame for around 1k, not including the wheels).

I'm 5'4" and have a pretty short inseem and it fits me just fine. I don't even have the smallest one Kona makes.

celerystalksme
05-09-2008, 08:20 PM
What about a Kona Jake or Jake the Snake?

I know the latter is a bit expensive (I built one up from the frame for around 1k, not including the wheels).

I'm 5'4" and have a pretty short inseem and it fits me just fine. I don't even have the smallest one Kona makes.

if you get a chance, can you measure your inseam? because i had completely discounted kona's because according to their website even the smallest kona cross frame has a standover of 755cm (29.7")...that think might castrate me!

LainiePants
05-09-2008, 10:31 PM
If you want to see if you enjoy racing cross before you spend lots o $$ (what's not to love!?), perhaps you could race on a mountain bike first (assuming you have one). Quite a few people do.

celerystalksme
05-10-2008, 03:55 AM
If you want to see if you enjoy racing cross before you spend lots o $$ (what's not to love!?), perhaps you could race on a mountain bike first (assuming you have one). Quite a few people do.

nope, i've been strictly a roadie. this will be my first foray off pavement! lol

dex
05-10-2008, 12:53 PM
There's also the Novarro Pulse with 26" wheels from REI, which also happens to be on sale right now...
http://www.rei.com/product/760877

celerystalksme
05-10-2008, 04:31 PM
how important is standover clearance? is it ABSOLLTELY necessary to have standover clearance? cuz...how often will i actually be standing over the bike with both feet on the ground? i don't NEED standover clearance when i mount and dismount.

hmmm...

any fit experts with thoughts on this?

Blueberry
05-10-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm no fit expert, but I wouldn't want it to be too close on a cross bike. I think you don't have inches of clearance, but you wouldn't want the bike to *ahem* jam into things either.

I have a cross check. I do not ride cross - I ride roads with it (love it anyway). Flatfooted, the bar just barely touches. I think it's OK. I wouldn't do more than that. (and I really do question Surly's measurements - I shouldn't be able to straddle my bike. But I can.)

CA

KnottedYet
05-10-2008, 07:58 PM
I have a cross check. I do not ride cross - I ride roads with it (love it anyway). Flatfooted, the bar just barely touches. I think it's OK. I wouldn't do more than that. (and I really do question Surly's measurements - I shouldn't be able to straddle my bike. But I can.)

CA

Ditto.

Love my Cross Check. Also love my Waterford X-12 and my Giant RS940, which fit me the same way.

Ana
05-13-2008, 04:44 AM
There's a very nice shop in Dexter which deals Cannondale and Diamondback (http://www.dexterbikeandsport.com/) but the standover heights might not be short enough :)

Which shop is a Bianchi dealer? :)

celerystalksme
05-13-2008, 05:13 AM
There's a very nice shop in Dexter which deals Cannondale and Diamondback (http://www.dexterbikeandsport.com/) but the standover heights might not be short enough :)

Which shop is a Bianchi dealer? :)

Ride Boutique in downtown ann arbor used to be...but i think they're done with bianchi. :( i'm not positive though...i'll have to call and find out...

flash
05-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi! My height challenged friends just bought Ridleys & love them!

celerystalksme
05-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi! My height challenged friends just bought Ridleys & love them!

according to their specs, ridley's shouldn't fit me. :( their 41 is too small...48 is too big...nothing in between...

tink22
06-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Just came across your post. Not sure if you've found a bike, but, I"m really short too. Only 5 feet 2 inches. Had a really hard time finding a cyclocross bike. I ended up getting a Specialized Tri-Cross sport. Fits great. I love it. A good bike store will measure you and be able to suggest the best bike to fit you.

Triskeliongirl
06-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I think a 44 cm bianchi volpe would be perfect for your needs. Its steel, it has mounts for racks and fenders so doubles for touring, it has the standover you need, and its under a kilobuck.

I rode with a women from this list once that has one and it is a very nice bike.

elk
06-24-2008, 11:08 PM
yeah...I was going to say that the Volpe is, in fact, steel....

I tried one before I got my Aurora (Jamis) and really liked it....and I have a PBH of 28.5...

madscot13
07-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Celerystalksme, did you find a bike? You have to let us shorter folk know.

celerystalksme
07-14-2008, 05:33 AM
Celerystalksme, did you find a bike? You have to let us shorter folk know.

yes, i found a bike! i got a great ebay deal! it's a 2007 Blue CX6.5! i got it for $810 + shipping. GREAT deal on a bike that was test ridden once! the owner won the bike at a cyclocross event...tried it once..decided to sell it for money because she was sticking with her Seven Mudhoney. the bike is nearly FLAWLESS. it would have run me $2000+ if i bought it new.

ultegra/105 mix...xero lite whees...decent components throughout...

the top tube is perfect length. the standover is TIGHT but i was told standover is not important...and so far i have found that to be true.

here's a pic soon after i got it. i have adjust seat height and position, put some pedas on, adjusted bars since the pic. if anyone wants, i can post new pics later!

http://home.comcast.net/~phtt/pics/bluecx65.jpg

Eden
07-14-2008, 06:02 AM
cool - I didn't even know Blue made a CX bike

madscot13
07-14-2008, 05:47 PM
that looks pretty snazzy. I'm happy you found something that worked out.

ps is that a row of cameras on your countertop?

LainiePants
07-14-2008, 06:49 PM
That bike is awesome!

celerystalksme
07-14-2008, 07:21 PM
that looks pretty snazzy. I'm happy you found something that worked out.

ps is that a row of cameras on your countertop?

yes it is! i have migrated from one expensive hobby to the next. first it was rc cars...then it was modifying real cars...then it was photography...now it's cycling! i've actually sold off most of my cameras and photography equipment to keep my cycling addiction going. i've gotten rid of all my medium formats...slr's...except couple. but i still have around $6000 worth of point and shoots left...very nice p&s cameras, a few of them worth $1000 a piece.

but i'm already planning to rid myself of most of them to finance a bling bling road bike (something like a parlee or cyfac...or look if i don't want to bother going custom). it's time to graduate from specialized, though she has served me well!

madscot13
07-15-2008, 03:39 PM
yes one expensive hobby to the next. Do you have a darkroom also then? I want a medium format camera but I find the slow death of film to be a bit of a hindrance and if you don't develop the pics yourself, you end up paying a lot more than you should.

have you figured out what you are doing about the shifters?

celerystalksme
07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
yes one expensive hobby to the next. Do you have a darkroom also then? I want a medium format camera but I find the slow death of film to be a bit of a hindrance and if you don't develop the pics yourself, you end up paying a lot more than you should.

have you figured out what you are doing about the shifters?

nope, no darkroom. my university charges very reasonable rates for faculty and students. so i use them. if i want ridiculous pro results, i use this commercial place that does print work for national television, movies, and sports...they charge very reasonable rates for individual customers.

the death of film is what prompted me to starting liquidating my cameras! the rest must go!!!!!!!!!!!

as far as the shifters...i think i'll try using those specialized shimano shims. if that doesn't do it, i'm going SRAM all over!