PDA

View Full Version : Bike Shops

dingster1
05-05-2008, 05:55 AM
Ok ladies of Montgomery County, Md. I'm looking for my first road bike. I've Been to AA Bikes in Damascus, Germantown Cycles, Gaithersburg Cycles and of course, Performance. I'm not looking to spend over $600, since I'm not a racer. I'm 5"2 and my Trek FX 7.2 is a 44.5cm. I've got my eye on a Fuji Newest 4.0 for $479 at Performance thats a 42cm with downtube shifters being the only downside. Any suggestions on stores? Bikes

Zen
05-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Your current bike size is only a rough guide. Various frame geometry will give you various sizes.

I've heard tell that Fuji is a good "bang for the buck" bike. Can you get it anywhere besides Performance?

Here's a list of dealers, Mt. Airy Bikes is a good shop.
http://www.fujibikes.com/dealer/state_results.asp?yr=2004

divingbiker
05-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, I don't know if you want to drive this far, but Jill at Proteus Bicycles (http://proteusbicycles.com/) in College Park will never try to sell you more bike than you're looking for and always has good ideas. Maybe give them a call to see if they have anything that might work?

Zen
05-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Well, I don't know if you want to drive this far,

Funny that some of us are more than ready to ride a bike 60 miles but shudder at the thought of driving that far :D

Becky
05-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Fujis are pretty good bang for the buck, especially at Performance because it seems like they're always on sale! I wouldn't overlook Schwinn either- their entry-level bikes are a good value for the price. If you can spare another $200 and find one in your size, the 2007 Schwinn Fastback Comp is a very nice bike and on closeout at ~$800.

$600 is a tough cap to have, but don't give up. I sold a Fuji Newest 3.0 (08? 07?? I can't remember!) to a woman a few weeks ago and, with the sales, promotions, etc. she paid something like $400 for the bike! An '07 closeout would be a good way to go, especially if you need a smaller size, as they tend to be the ones left over.

Happy hunting!

madscot13
05-05-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm 5'2" and I would say 44 to 49 cm is a good bet. trek 1000s should be in that range and can also be WSD. I remember trying out a 1000 and a pilot 1.2 and thinking that the fit was good. i've learned a lot about fit since then but the ride felt pretty good and was what really got me into thinking about road bikes.

I swear everywhere I go i hear that Jill is the one to speak with.

madscot13
05-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Funny that some of us are more than ready to ride a bike 60 miles but shudder at the thought of driving that far :D

it's amazing how some people will drive 3 but shudder at the thought of biking that far.

juliemcd
05-06-2008, 03:44 AM
I have also heard great things about Jill at Proteus. While this might be a bit far for you, I am all about Spokes Etc. (http://spokesetc.com/). I usually go to their Alexandria location, but I was at the Vienna location last night and they were great folks. Incidentally, I was there for their monthly bike maintenance/fix a flat tire class and it was great. They definitely will not try to sell you more bike than you need.

dingster1
05-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks guys. I looked at a Trek 1.2 yesterday at AA Bikes (they sold me my hybrid and I like the feel of the store/staff) They had a 1000 there from last year I may go ahead and pick up. It's a 43 WSD on clearance. Still have a few more stores to hit though. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll hit College Park soon as I have to go to Ikea anyway

Zen
05-06-2008, 07:34 AM
What year is the Trek 1.2?
I looked at this years model and it's changed a lot from last year.

dingster1
05-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Its an '08. Powder blue and white (what is with these colors???)

Zen
05-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I can't say much good about this years 1.2 :(
Low end components, odd shifter configuration.