PDA

View Full Version : Sports nutrition- support needed

AutumnBreez
03-18-2005, 06:35 AM
I have been doing a 100% raw food regimen for a few months. I have lost a total of 20 lbs since Dec. I have now been adding in physical activities in slowly. I am riding my new bike 13-15 miles a day I have had the flu, but I am almost over it. I have had changes in my vision during my rides and feeling a bit dizzy before and after the rides. Could use more boost during. I understand that some of this may be due to added physical activities.
I have been considering adding in some other fiber like whole grain breads and definetly NOT White breads.
Continue with the nuts and avocados and fruits and veggies but some cooked. I think I am also going to add in some lean meats- Chicken breast and Turkey. Keeping my portions small but eat throughout the day. I am missing out on some luscious foods my family eats and I am frankly not staying raw for life. I don't want to gain weight back, but figure as long as I stay active I should be ok. What do you think?
What does your average food day consist of?

bounceswoosh
03-18-2005, 06:55 AM
Well, first of all, I'd worry far more about dizziness and blurred vision than I would about fat, at this point. Dizzy sounds like a carb deficit to me. Are you snacking appropriately during rides? You may even find that some simple carbs, like those found in gel packs, aren't an awful thing when you need a quick boost.

I see that you have nuts and avocado in your diet, but maybe you should also track your diet for a few days and see if you're getting enough protein for the kinds of workouts you do.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about raw diets, so I can't suggest anything more specific. It seems to me that a lot of fat-loss diet ideas don't work, at least not without modification, for people who work out a lot.

SadieKate
03-18-2005, 08:11 AM
I would run, not walk, to the nearest dr and/or registered dietician. Are you eating dairy products or grains at all? You may not be getting a full complement of amino acids. You have to eat milk products or combine legumes with grains at the same meal (or same time frame). You may not be getting enough B12 without animal products either. I would assume that it is harder to digest and absorb the nutrients in raw foods so you may have some difficiencies somewhere. There are a number of nutrients especially vital for women that can be hard to get in a veg diet. Blurred vision and dizziness are not to be messed with. I would recommend consulting a health professional based on these symptions combined with your activity level, diet and really rapid weightloss. Can you hold off on your next ride until you consult someone?

alison_in_oh
03-18-2005, 08:26 AM
I have been doing a 100% raw food regimen for a few months. I have lost a total of 20 lbs since Dec. I have now been adding in physical activities in slowly. I am riding my new bike 13-15 miles a day I have had the flu, but I am almost over it. I have had changes in my vision during my rides and feeling a bit dizzy before and after the rides. Could use more boost during. I understand that some of this may be due to added physical activities.
I have been considering adding in some other fiber like whole grain breads and definetly NOT White breads.
Continue with the nuts and avocados and fruits and veggies but some cooked. I think I am also going to add in some lean meats- Chicken breast and Turkey. Keeping my portions small but eat throughout the day. I am missing out on some luscious foods my family eats and I am frankly not staying raw for life. I don't want to gain weight back, but figure as long as I stay active I should be ok. What do you think?
What does your average food day consist of?

The rules for nutrition on a raw foods diet are no different than the rules on any other vegetarian, vegan, or omnivorous diet. You need to get a VERY LARGE variety of foods. You need to get essential fats, including both omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. You need lots of protein sources, because different plant proteins are deficient in different amino acids that your body needs; if you get just one you could have malnutrition problems but if you get many over time you will avoid these problems. You're definitely not getting vitamin B12 without supplementation; also pay attention to your calcium and iron.

Check out the books by Dr. Weil and the American Dietetic Association's position paper on vegetarian diets: http://www.eatright.org/Member/PolicyInitiatives/index_21026.cfm

Your body is trying to tell you something. Please listen to it. Don't do exotic "diets" purely for fat loss; eat healthful foods to build your body up right.

And dang, 1 lb. per week is a healthy rate of loss. Anything faster and alarm bells should be going off. :(

An online friend said today, "people who DIET bother me. dieting is stupid, it's like taking on a sport for three months with the notion that once you're good at it you'll quit forever. well, you'll never be good at it when all you're doing is thinking of quitting."

Eat well for a lifetime of health, and your body will work out the petty details of bodyfat, skin tone, hair health, general immune strength...

AutumnBreez
03-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Well, I think that 20 lbs in span of 3 months is not too radical. But I do think I may not be getting in enough of the carbs and protein my body needs for this challenge I am asking my body to put up with. The thing with raw is that it is not a fad diet. It is much like vegan. But no cooked foods. Lots of sprouts, which I was not doing. But I think I have had enough of not sharing in with the family anyway....I miss those eggs and such... I had an egg today. I think I will slowly add in these foods and see what my body says then. But I will continue to ride. If it persists after adding in for a few days I will go see the doc. I will add in the other foods. I have to. Thanks a million ladies!

alison_in_oh
03-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Well, I think that 20 lbs in span of 3 months is not too radical. But I do think I may not be getting in enough of the carbs and protein my body needs for this challenge I am asking my body to put up with. The thing with raw is that it is not a fad diet. It is much like vegan. But no cooked foods. Lots of sprouts, which I was not doing. But I think I have had enough of not sharing in with the family anyway....I miss those eggs and such... I had an egg today. I think I will slowly add in these foods and see what my body says then. But I will continue to ride. If it persists after adding in for a few days I will go see the doc. I will add in the other foods. I have to. Thanks a million ladies!

Yay, good luck! Definitely check out the vegetarian position paper I linked. As an athlete, you're going to want very nutrient-dense foods and try not to fill up on lower-nutrient stuff. Fruits tend to be very high GI, they zap your blood sugar and then leave you to crash. Same with sugary root veggies. For healthy grains, start with the least processed: whole grains like quinoa, amaranth, bulgur wheat, basmati rice. If you're thinking of adding some meat products, wild caught salmon is super-healthy, we eat it frequently (about $2 per serving at Trader Joe's). Get plenty of good fats, douse your veggies in olive oil vinaigrette and keep up your avocados!

Seriously though, pay attention to B vitamins, calcium, iron, and essential fats. There's info about all these nutrients in that paper.

I hope you feel better.

EDIT: I should clarify. The more restrictions you place on yourself, the more you have to work to get a wide variety of micronutrients and a proper balance of macronutrients through your diet alone. Raw vegan diets can work, but they take serious effort -- and I hate saying that about any vegetarian diet, because with less restriction, even a standard vegan diet, it's actually quite simple to eat healthfully as long as you incorporate lots and lots of variety!

SadieKate
03-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Autumn, I didn't say "radical" I said "rapid." It sounds like you've increased your exercise level also? So, if you're putting on muscle from the exercise and have still lost 20lbs in 12 weeks, it seems pretty rapid. I always thought the rule of thumb for healthy weightloss was 1 to 1.5 per lbs per week. Your body may be seeing this weight loss as a famine situation and may be reacting. I think your plan to re-introduce some foods is a good idea. Be very careful about the blurriness and vision. Would you keep us posted on this?

AutumnBreez
03-18-2005, 09:47 AM
What do you eat on average?

AutumnBreez
03-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Autumn, I didn't say "radical" I said "rapid." It sounds like you've increased your exercise level also? So, if you're putting on muscle from the exercise and have still lost 20lbs in 12 weeks, it seems pretty rapid. I always thought the rule of thumb for healthy weightloss was 1 to 1.5 per lbs per week. Your body may be seeing this weight loss as a famine situation and may be reacting. I think your plan to re-introduce some foods is a good idea. Be very careful about the blurriness and vision. Would you keep us posted on this?

I really don't want to get fat again...I still have some to lose but don't mind slowly. I want to invite the food but not too fast because my body has not had it for a while.
Purhaps you ladies could give me some good sound menu for a couple of days. whole grain toast with peanut butter/or almond butter. Eggs- should I only have the whites? I want to have the energy to ride and train.

alison_in_oh
03-18-2005, 10:16 AM
What do you eat on average?

Let's see. Last night's dinner through today's snack is a pretty good example of eating well. Last night was poached silver salmon with soy sauce and garlic and ginger (I had about a 3-4 oz portion) and whole wheat couscous pilaf (with cumin, cayenne, onion, and parsley!). The ubiquitous side is a nice big tossed salad, this time I went with red leaf lettuce, bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, and walnuts (hubby adds blue cheese) with homemade olive oil vinaigrette dressing.

Breakfast was Kashi Go Lean cereal mixed into 6 oz of organic yogurt. I've got the serious munchies so I had my pear and Clif bar before lunch. Lunch was prepackaged miso soup with udon noodles. Again, munchies, I ended up with a big handful of trail mix (mostly sunflower seeds and peanuts plus a few chocolate candies and raisins). I'll be going to spinning class tonight and chances are dinner will be Trader Joe's organic pesto pizza (with tomatoes and broccoli) and a tossed salad. That's not quite enough calories for us, so I predict both hubby and I will hit the kitchen for a peanut butter sandwich before bed!

When I add up the calories and such from a typical day like this, I tend to end up with ~1800 calories, something like 55/35/15 percent from carbo/fat/protein. For this particular menu it'd be too complicated, but I feel right if I get a definite protein source at every meal, if I enjoy and savor my food, and if I allow enough time between meals to get honestly hungry.

Hope this helps! Oh, I also notice a definite difference in my energy levels and the quality of my hair and nails if I take a daily multivitamin. I tend to go for anything with about 45% rda of calcium, 100% of folic acid and iron, and all the other goodies in a multivit/mineral.

Jo-n-NY
03-18-2005, 10:56 AM
I really do not think feeling dizzy and blurred vision is a good thing and agree with the others in saying I think you should go to a dr. I will also offer this info:

I just began reading the book by Nancy Clark Cyclists Food Guide. In a way it is basic common sense, but it is giving me good ideas, for one, there is no reason to ever go hungry. Here is one is their food pyramid:

the numbers are servings per day:
6-11 whole grains; 2-4 fruit; 3-5 vegtable; 2-3 protein; 2-3 low fat dairy; saturated fats and refined sugar use sparingly.

I know for my weight I would have the lowest #.

She gives an example for one day which is a very realistic one and not difficult:

Breakfast: Cereal; banana; milk
Snack; pretzels; yogurt
Lunch: bread; orange; vegetable soup; peanut butter
Dinner: spaghetti; tomato sauce, broccoli; cheese; ground turkey
Snack: popcorn; juice

She gives lists of food for all catagories, just a wealth of ideas. Of course you have to be honest with portion control and how many servings for your body type.

The last chapter is called the In Pursuit of Thinness. I did not get this far, but at a glance I see this: appropriate eating + regular exercise = appropriate weight. We all probably know this already, but keeping it in mind is sometimes difficult.

I think I might actually gain a couple of pounds by this, but I had lost more than I planned to. Then again, I might have more energy for my cycling and I just might stay the same. I just think the whole concept is a good one and thought I would share it.

Irulan
03-18-2005, 11:21 AM
I really do not think feeling dizzy and blurred vision is a good thing and agree with the others in saying I think you should go to a dr. I will also offer this info:

those are classic signs of a serious bonk which is a major indicator of not fueling your body correctly. I know you aren't doing atkins, but many atkins eaters report similar symptoms: thier bodies are starved for quality carbohydrates and protien at times.

irulan

AutumnBreez
03-18-2005, 11:29 AM
You have all been sooo sweet to care this way. I really appreciate it. I could grill some salmon, or chicken breast, and steam some broccoli. cottage cheese is ok?

Funny, lately, I have felt almost grossed out by anything green, even thinking about it made me feel yucky...don't know why. I always loved salads but having it with the oil and vinegar so long has began to turn me off a bit.

ABCL

bounceswoosh
03-18-2005, 11:32 AM
those are classic signs of a serious bonk which is a major indicator of not fueling your body correctly. I know you aren't doing atkins, but many atkins eaters report similar symptoms: thier bodies are starved for quality carbohydrates and protien at times.

irulan

Atkins eaters being starved for protein?

Carbs I understand, but protein? What am I missing?

alison_in_oh
03-18-2005, 11:48 AM
You have all been sooo sweet to care this way. I really appreciate it. I could grill some salmon, or chicken breast, and steam some broccoli. cottage cheese is ok?

Yay, salmon or chicken and broccoli would be an uber-healthy dinner or base thereof. :) Personally, I don't like relying on dairy for anything, but yes cottage cheese is generally a well-assimilated and complete protein (though its fat is icky saturated fat). And, also by personal preference, I'd toss a small portion of starch and fiber in there to make sure I got filled up. :)

Irulan
03-18-2005, 11:48 AM
your are right, M, let me edit that. Starved for Carbs..... ;-)

p.

AutumnBreez
03-19-2005, 03:48 AM
I can say this much....it tastes so good
Had rotissery (?spelling?) chicken today for lunch.
I also had a small slice of brown whole grain bread. Though I don't think that I should have the bread with the meat. Next time I will have chicken with salad.
Also, I am trying to make sure I get enough water in my system. Purhaps I am not hydrated enough when I go on the rides either. Drinking water has never been my strongest suit.

alison_in_oh
03-19-2005, 05:19 AM
I can say this much....it tastes so good
Had rotissery (?spelling?) chicken today for lunch.
I also had a small slice of brown whole grain bread. Though I don't think that I should have the bread with the meat. Next time I will have chicken with salad.
Also, I am trying to make sure I get enough water in my system. Purhaps I am not hydrated enough when I go on the rides either. Drinking water has never been my strongest suit.

Yeah, it is a skill worth learning to A) seamlessly take water from your waterbottle cage, and B) drink regularly whether you're really thirsty or not. Remember, by the time you're thirsty you're actually already dehydrated.

Also, I feel good (and my appetite decreases a bit -- it's easy to mistake thirsty for hungry) if I drink a lot of water through the day. I keep a bike bottle at my desk, and if I refill it as necessary I go through like 4 22 oz bottles in a day!

Irulan
03-19-2005, 06:34 AM
Yeah, it is a skill worth learning to A) seamlessly take water from your waterbottle cage, and B) drink regularly whether you're really thirsty or not. Remember, by the time you're thirsty you're actually already dehydrated.

Also, I feel good (and my appetite decreases a bit -- it's easy to mistake thirsty for hungry) if I drink a lot of water through the day. I keep a bike bottle at my desk, and if I refill it as necessary I go through like 4 22 oz bottles in a day!

that's why 100 ounce camelbacks were invented.

Trek420
03-19-2005, 07:06 AM
This could be posted in the "quality of life low stress job vs. higher stress job that messes with your cycling" thread. I have an easy/dream commute, lots of time off but when I'm at work the job is non stop. It's just call after call after call after...bottom line I just do not have a "normal" job so except for two exactly 15 minute not one second more than that breaks, and an hour lunch I can't really eat, do the good healthy snacks thing throughout the day or it's very hard too.

I'm good about breakfast-coffee of course but maybe whole grain toast or whole grain bagle with peanut butter or if I'm riding oatmeal. But it's downhill from there. I drink a lot of water. But then 11:30 lunch comes along and I'd like to either go to the gym or walk the lake (training for the AIDS ride so I try to get a workout in mid day too) but I'm famished.

If I keep enough healthy snacks at my desk and nibble at 'em plus have some kinda good protein stuff after the gym then I'm fine through the afternoon.
Same thing if I want to ride or workout after. But if I'm off the phone to grab a quick bite to eat I hear about it from my manager so aside from listening to my body, am I hungry, thirsty, what does it want? I can just watch the numbers. If my Average Call Handle time is *good* I know I'm not eating or drinking enough. If I'm *not* in trouble with my manager for being off the line....I'm not eating or drinking enough.

LBTC
03-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Eggs- should I only have the whites? I want to have the energy to ride and train.

NO!! The yolks have all of those hard-to-get fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K), and other stuff I know little about! One egg has around 70 calories and is one of the purest proteins around. Keep boiled eggs handy as a snack!!

Do try to find free range or high quality eggs. I judge by the colour of the yolk - the darker the yolk, the more nutrients there are, which of course is determined by the feed the chickens get. I buy a brand called born three and the feed is geared toward providing an egg with high Omega 3, high Vitamin E, and they say they use no by-animal products or antibiotics.

eat eggs! yum!

and I agree with so many of the other girls: dizziness and blurred vision are scary. are you eating things with any artificial sweeteners? those can cause those symptoms in some people. I also agree that your weight loss does sound too fast. And I think it's great that you are slowly reintroducing the foods your body craves back into your diet. I'm sorry about the aversion to green foods, though...weirdly enough that sounds like a symptom of pregnancy! woah! are you sure that's not it?

Good luck!!

Namaste,
~T~

LBTC
03-19-2005, 08:49 AM
Trek!!

Can you find another job?? OUCH!! :eek: :eek: :eek: That sounds horrible!! :mad: I could not function without eating at my desk, especially if I were to work out at lunch!! I don't know how you can manage that!!! Lunch is my biggest meal of the day, I try to pack as much nutrition into it as I can. I generally workout right after work - and try to have a snack with protein and carbs at about 3:00 to ensure I'm fueled for that. I snack lighter if I'm going to do yoga, or even weights (as I do quite light weights), but heavier if it's kickboxing day or a mountain bike ride.

Good luck!
~T~

alison_in_oh
03-19-2005, 09:09 AM
that's why 100 ounce camelbacks were invented.

I'd look mighty funny working at my computer with a camelbak on. ;) I find that a bike bottle is easy to drink from so I'm more likely to take a big swig frequently while burning my eyes out at the computer. The water fountain's just a few feet away for refills.

I've yet to go through more than 2 22oz. bottles on a single ride, which fit just fine in my two cages. However if I start training for a century, I might have to spring for a "hydration system" after all. :)

AutumnBreez
03-19-2005, 12:44 PM
NO!! The yolks have all of those hard-to-get fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K), and other stuff I know little about! One egg has around 70 calories and is one of the purest proteins around. Keep boiled eggs handy as a snack!!

Do try to find free range or high quality eggs. I judge by the colour of the yolk - the darker the yolk, the more nutrients there are, which of course is determined by the feed the chickens get. I buy a brand called born three and the feed is geared toward providing an egg with high Omega 3, high Vitamin E, and they say they use no by-animal products or antibiotics.

eat eggs! yum!

and I agree with so many of the other girls: dizziness and blurred vision are scary. are you eating things with any artificial sweeteners? those can cause those symptoms in some people. I also agree that your weight loss does sound too fast. And I think it's great that you are slowly reintroducing the foods your body craves back into your diet. I'm sorry about the aversion to green foods, though...weirdly enough that sounds like a symptom of pregnancy! woah! are you sure that's not it?

Good luck!!

Namaste,
~T~

I had a tubal ligation 10years ago in which they cauterized besides cutting a section out. No pregnancy...just had my cycle this last week as well. Just too low in carbs and protein as everyone has suspected. I must use up the carbs too quick and the protein available must not be enough. Went to a party this evening for my husbands co worker and did have a spoon of taco layered dip with a few nachos to dip with, had a cup of cranberry juice and refilled cup with water the rest of the time, had about 3 glasses of water...then had a half of a brownie, later some carrot sticks. Earlier today had the chicken. I feel like I have pigged out though. This is all I have had today.

I am trying to preplan my food for tomorrow so that I can be in better control. Morning: I will have a couple of scrambled eggs with onion and green pepper.
Snack on apple or orange, or couple of dates and walnuts. Lunch I think a chicken/or salmon salad. snack later on some brown bread with almond butter. Dinner: Grilled chicken and grilled veggies with side of rice. I plan to ride mountain bike with my son in morning shortly after breakfast is done and cleaned up. Do a load of laundry and go for an couple of hours on the bikes. Come back, shower, and have a salad with the left over chicken from todays. Do little chores around house. Later in the day
maybe go for a road bike loop of 14 miles. Will this be too much food? I plan to eat from a saucer to keep portions smaller.

alison_in_oh
03-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Just too low in carbs and protein as everyone has suspected. I must use up the carbs too quick and the protein available must not be enough.

Yeah, I'm with the person who suggested it was related to bonking. I bonked at the end of last summer on a day where I was riding through lunchtime after having had only a piece of fruit for breakfast. :( I was intentionally trying to stress my body (having a bad body image day and trying to starve myself for calories) but I had no idea it'd react that way! I felt drunk and couldn't move my legs to save my life -- and that was after only 15-20 miles, when I was accustomed to 30-40 at that point!

I am trying to preplan my food for tomorrow so that I can be in better control. Morning: I will have a couple of scrambled eggs with onion and green pepper.
Snack on apple or orange, or couple of dates and walnuts. Lunch I think a chicken/or salmon salad. snack later on some brown bread with almond butter. Dinner: Grilled chicken and grilled veggies with side of rice. I plan to ride mountain bike with my son in morning shortly after breakfast is done and cleaned up. Do a load of laundry and go for an couple of hours on the bikes. Come back, shower, and have a salad with the left over chicken from todays. Do little chores around house. Later in the day
maybe go for a road bike loop of 14 miles. Will this be too much food? I plan to eat from a saucer to keep portions smaller.

Above all, listen to your body. Please, please don't fret about calories or quantities. Eat slowly if that's what it takes to make sure you register fullness before overeating, but otherwise ENJOY your food! :) Why do you think the French can eat multi-course high-fat meals and still have less obesity than the US? They take their time about it and truly savor what they eat!

But that sounds like a very healthful day of eating. :) If you're still hungry after your morning snack, feel free to munch again but on something less sugary. :)

Depending on how easy or strenuous you find your ride, you might want to plan a fairly starchy after-ride snack, too.

Trek420
03-19-2005, 02:26 PM
~T~ writes "That sounds horrible!! :mad: I could not function without eating at my desk, especially if I were to work out at lunch!! I don't know how you can manage that!!!"

well, I don't know how I do either but I'm working on that. I applied for a transfer to another job in the co earlier this year but then canceled because I'd end up in San Ramon, adding another half hour to the commute.

I may yet transfer, been thnking about testing tech. But all in all it's pretty good where I am. The plus side:

I get more vacation than most people

Benefits are great

We're a union company, I probably earn 3x what non-union folks in my field do (the flip side of that is what I do is waaay more complex than other jobs, it's even harder than what my peers in the same job and same company do)

We're union, if I have issues with my boss I don't have to sweat it, just keep doing a fabulous job and let the steward take care of it.

I have a great manager and we have a group of good managers in my office, some of the best in the company. I'm not messing with that. If i transfered who knows what I'd get.

I'm a few steps away from BART, or if I bike ride....a nice spin around the lake from BART.

SadieKate
03-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Autumn, go read up on glycogen. Anyone have links to good articles?

Endurance athletes are dependant on the glycogen stored in their muscles. When that is depleted, that's it. Sayonara. Bonk time. The only way to replenish it? Carbohydrates. There is evidence that replenishment can occur faster with if you eat a little protein with lots of carbs within 30 mins after exercise. You have to have quality carbs during the rest of the day. I have to go check out the recommended Nancy Clark's book, but what has stood me and hubby in excellent stead is Liz Applegate's book, "Eat Smart, Play Hard." She gives pretty good discussions about vegetarian diets, glycogen stores, necessary fat for muscle fuel, you name it, and she targets cyclists. She understands that this isn't a 20 min exercise routine and we have specific nutrition needs. I found her book packed with advice, easily read, understand and remember, total common sense. I think it would help you understand what your body needs for the exercise and weightloss both.

Keep us posted on your progress and how you're feeling.

SK

AutumnBreez
03-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Think I am getting the hang of it.... Balance
I had scrambled eggs (2) and then had an orange bit later. 500ml x4 water
Lunch had toasted whole grain bread with breasted turkey, onion, green pepper, tomato, and smidge of hellmanns mayo. Snack later of some museuli
and peanutbutter. Hard boiled egg.
Dinner had a taco salad, used yogurt as sourcream sub. with only a couple of tortilla chips on side for some crunch. Bit of coffee in the evening with husband. Rode MTB yesterday afternoon. Had more water.

Not having the spins and change of vision as I before. And it all tastes sooo good. Yummmm!

alison_in_oh
03-22-2005, 03:35 AM
Think I am getting the hang of it.... Balance
I had scrambled eggs (2) and then had an orange bit later. 500ml x4 water
Lunch had toasted whole grain bread with breasted turkey, onion, green pepper, tomato, and smidge of hellmanns mayo. Snack later of some museuli
and peanutbutter. Hard boiled egg.
Dinner had a taco salad, used yogurt as sourcream sub. with only a couple of tortilla chips on side for some crunch. Bit of coffee in the evening with husband. Rode MTB yesterday afternoon. Had more water.

Not having the spins and change of vision as I before. And it all tastes sooo good. Yummmm!

You're doing awesome, keep it up! Sounds so healthy! :D Balance and moderation indeed. :)

SadieKate
03-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Oh, good! I've been thinking about you and so glad to hear you're doing better.

LBTC
03-22-2005, 07:56 AM
breezey...that sounds great! a perfect food day!! :D

In case anyone cares....yesterday I had:

large bowl of muesli with one sliced banana and about 1 cup of frozen blueberries with one tall glass of watered down juice and lots of vitamins. (at about 7:00 am)

about 2 1/2 cups of salad (coleslaw mix, broccoli coleslaw mix, cucumber, zuchini, canned mushrooms, yellow peppers, red peppers, mixed bean sprouts, broccoli, quinoa, about 2 oz of spicy cooked chicken breast and maybe 1 1/2 tablespoons of honeygarlic/ginger sauce) (at about 11:00 am)

1 slice of banana bread (loaded with nuts, raisins, fruit, and no sugar choc chips)

about 1 cup of scalloped potatoes at 3:00 pm

2 1 hour kickboxing classes

1/2 serving of endurox recovery drink

popcorn with a wee bit o' butter and more hot sauce at about 9:00 pm

Today is not a kickboxing day so....no potatoes mid afternoon, but I will eat my carrots and boiled egg at some point, and probably a banana. lunch will be about the same, but a bit later. dinner will probably be a hearty soup. only exercise today is walk to work and back (1/2 hour each way), dog walks and, if I get through all the cooking I have to do tonight, maybe yoga. Tomorrow is kickboxing x 2 again, so I'll eat much like yesterday.

any comments/ suggestions for making that better?

oh, right, and about 4 cups of herbal tea with nothing in it throughout the day, and about 900ml of water through the 2 kickboxing classes, and a seriously watered down tall glass of juice with the popcorn.

my weight has been virtually steady state, 1 pound lost in 3 months, but my clothes fit better and various body parts are higher as a result of the kickboxing. once riding season is here in full force, that layer of fat will disappear and my muscles will be more clearly defined. expected weight loss should only be in the order of a maximum of 5 pounds over the summer, fat loss should be much more.

Keep going, everybody!! This keeping fit and eating healthy thing is really cool!! :cool:

Namaste,
~T~

trigurl
03-22-2005, 09:01 AM
I made something yesterday that was good, I cooked some spinach in olive oil and put my egg white and whole egg in and cooked them then put a slice of provolone cheese in and melted it, I like spinach so it was great, I was having a creative moment. Also, I tried Buffalo meat last week, it was pretty good, I didn't find it any less fatty than good hamburger but the taste was better.

Just thought I would share, can we have a forum for this - recipes and good food we tried?

One more thing, when I rode Sunday I got pretty tired after an hour, I had bought some honey sticks and had one with me, I took it and it really helped. If anyone is interested I can give you the email addy for the lady, she has flavored honey too - I like the strawberry flavor. They are convenient to carry, you just bite on the end and the straw opens and you suck it out.

AutumnBreez
03-22-2005, 12:08 PM
too much food and not enough exercise?...that is my problem, I am afraid that the couple of pounds gained in the last few days are due to getting in too much food.

alison_in_oh
03-22-2005, 01:15 PM
too much food and not enough exercise?...that is my problem, I am afraid that the couple of pounds gained in the last few days are due to getting in too much food.

Don't weigh yourself daily. A pint of water weighs a pound, and you know how your body can retain or shed water! Heck, don't weigh yourself at all. Just keep tabs on how you fit your clothes and get your body composition (fat %) analyzed every few months.

To lose, calories out has to exceed calories in. But everything in moderation, there's a basal level of calories you need to ingest just to function. The amount of food you listed sounds great, just up the output to help take care of it. ;)

bounceswoosh
03-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Don't weigh yourself daily. A pint of water weighs a pound, and you know how your body can retain or shed water! Heck, don't weigh yourself at all. Just keep tabs on how you fit your clothes and get your body composition (fat %) analyzed every few months.

To lose, calories out has to exceed calories in. But everything in moderation, there's a basal level of calories you need to ingest just to function. The amount of food you listed sounds great, just up the output to help take care of it. ;)

If you really *must* measure yourself somehow, a better option is a friend weilding a bodyfat caliper. You have to be very careful to use the caliper in the same way in the same place every time, though. I don't think it's possible to effectively use a caliper without a friend's help.

alison_in_oh
03-22-2005, 03:08 PM
If you really *must* measure yourself somehow, a better option is a friend weilding a bodyfat caliper. You have to be very careful to use the caliper in the same way in the same place every time, though. I don't think it's possible to effectively use a caliper without a friend's help.

Hence the, "get your body composition (fat %) analyzed every few months.". :) I'd trust the accuracy best if the calipers were wielded by somebody with experience and applied to three sites. Alternatively, you could get a body fat electrical impedance scale! (We're looking into springing for one -- less accurate than skinfold but easier to do at home!)

bounceswoosh
03-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Hence the, "get your body composition (fat %) analyzed every few months.". :) I'd trust the accuracy best if the calipers were wielded by somebody with experience and applied to three sites. Alternatively, you could get a body fat electrical impedance scale! (We're looking into springing for one -- less accurate than skinfold but easier to do at home!)

Sorry, I somehow completely misread that.

Other points about caliper usage: men and women have different formulae involving different spots on the body. I think there's a seven-site formula as well as a three-site. Also, if you're going to use calipers, measure each spot twice and see if you get the same result. I kind of gave up on the calipers because they're so hard to use well. I wonder if the scale approach is really less accurate than DH weilding the calipers.

Bike Goddess
03-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Autumn- I am vegetarian, eat no meat and ride like crazy! I do eat an egg a day with whole wheat toast (1 slice) lots of tea (with milk), have cottage cheese and celery, and fruit for lunch plus home baked cookies (2)and herb tea. For a snack in midmorning I have bits of a scone (about every 2-3 hours) with decaf coffee (has milk and 1/2 and 1/2 in it). Dinner is usually pasta, potatoes, or brown rice, vegies and a huge salad- romaine lettuce, organice cherry tomatoes, avocado (about 1/3 of avocado) with olive oil, vinegar and gorgonzola cheese.

If I am really hungry when I get home from work (7:15PM)I will often have a snack of chips (yes those tortilla chips)in moderation with some cheddar cheese.

I have lost about 30 lbs doing this and riding about 100-150 miles a week.

The other trick is to ride hills, learn to spin, and don't give up! You have to get your metabolism rate to the point where it burns fat at a healthy rate. AND DRINK, EAT, DRINK, EAT! Doesn't have to be huge quantities just has to be food in your body!

I also take multivitamins, calcium supplements, magnesium, etc.

When you return from a ride, watch what you eat. Yes, drinking and eating are essential, but you don't have to overdo it!!

Remember the slogan: Ride to eat and eat to ride! :)

Good luck, we are all behind you cheering you on! :D :D
Nancy