PDA

View Full Version : need opinions on road bikes

bikenewbie
09-05-2002, 10:40 AM
I have just begun to ride my bike - I've been training for about a month with the help of my husband, who is a more serious rider. I told him I just wanted to try it out to see if I'd like it, so he put some road tires on my old Specialized mountain bike and tightened down the suspension a little and away I went! He really thinks I should get a real road bike now, and wants me to do some research about which ones are best for women. I have no clue! I am 32, 5 feet 6, about 135 pounds.
Any advice on choosing a bike would be welcome from some of you more experienced riders. I don't even know where to start!:confused:

ayermail2
09-05-2002, 05:58 PM
Bikenewbie -

I have only been riding about a year myself. I only own a mountain bike (the money thing!). I too put "slicks" on and have completed 2 cross-state week-long tours (Oct 2001, Jun 2002) and been just fine. I have over 1,600 road miles on this mountain bike!

Figure out
1) what kind of riding you want to do (road only, road racing, road & trails, road & mountain biking, mountain biking only,mountain bike racing...)
2)what kind of riding goals you have - for example, if you just want to do some weekend riding, you'd need a lot less bike than if you were planning on doing week-long tours or riding to keep up with the other club members or racing....
3)how much money is in the budget - around here, an entry level mountain bike (a good one, not Wal-mart...) would start at about $500, a road bike at about $700, a comfort bike at about $300

Some suggested reading
1) A Woman's Guide to Cycling (Gail Barnhardt)
2) The Female Cyclist (Susan Weaver)
both are great all-around books that include information on basic bike fit, as well as women-specific bicycling information, which will help you in doing your research

Websites to check out
1) http://www.terrybicycles.com/

You'll definitely want to peruse this forum for information on favorite saddles!

I am sure others will have lots more advice and references for you; I really enjoy coming to this forum for the company of other women riders!

Happy Riding!

Dogmama
09-05-2002, 06:45 PM
Check out your local bike shops (I agree, not WalMart!) and ask them to fit you. It's hard to know what you would need, i.e., do you have narrow shoulders, long legs, etc. Most importantly, ride lots of bikes. If something doesn't feel right - for example you feel too stretched out - move onto the next bike. Bikes aren't like shoes - you can't break them in!

If you get a good frame, you can always change components later. If you get really gung ho, you might want to have a custom bike made. But, I don't recommend that until you've ridden for awhile & know that this is your true love.

Be sure to check in with reports!

Kim

bikenewbie
09-06-2002, 04:23 AM
Thanks to both of you for your thoughts! I will definitely look into those books and I already have a Terry Liberator seat, which is great. I only ride about 50-75 miles a week right now. I couldn't believe how different (and much easier) it was on the road when I took off those bumpy mountain bike tires.
My husband and I will probably take a trip to a large bike store near Boston soon and I will go for some test rides. I'm still not even using clipless pedals, so I'll have that to learn as well. Those scare me a little, but I know they're better in the long run if I can get used to them.

thanks again!
Angela

Dogmama
09-07-2002, 01:10 PM
The best way to get used to clipless pedals is to practice whilst your bike is in a bike stand at the bike shop. The bike guys can make sure that the fit isn't too tight or too loose. Also, you can try different pedals & see what feels best.

It also helps to unclip the same foot routinely. That way, you won't even think about it when you're slowing down. Of course, you need to be able to unclip your other foot too...

Kim

patty marr
09-09-2002, 11:01 AM
I have been riding for about 6 years. I ride a guru rode bike and I would never trade it in. It's fast light and affordable. You can check these out at bikeface.com...Gone for a ride Patty

pegride
09-09-2002, 06:46 PM
The first step is looking at bikes made just for women. Trek makes 3 road bikes just for women. I ride the Trek WSD (women specific desinn) 2000 and I love it. Everything fits. Check it out at the Trek website-all the info is there. Cannondale makes bike for women too but I think the Trek is a better value (and the colors are better too)

wawaski
09-10-2002, 09:42 PM
Lots depends on what you want to spend....cro moly is a good, flexible material for road frames, alum is fast and responsive, but many times pretty hard on the "bod"...if you have a zillion dollars, carbon fiber is great!
You may want to try your bike shop for consignements before you spend the "big bucks" to see if you like it! also, EBAY is a good place to pick up an older bike. If you know what you're looking for you can save some "dealer" mark ups!
Get to a shop and see if you can get sized correctly on a fit kit, it'll save a lot of headaches! good luck!
sandy

diane
09-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Since you are from Mass - there is a GREAT bike shop in Belmont called Wheelworks. They have more bikes in stock than I have seen anywhere else. My husband put slicks on my mountain bike too. I eventually upgraded to a road just to keep up. It does makes things much easier but I still like my mountain bike for being able to sit more upright. Good luck and have fun shopping!

Draekyn
09-12-2002, 07:21 AM
I agree with Pegride, the Trek WSD 2000 is a great bike. I recently purchased mine last month and love it, it fits perfectly! It is definitely worth checking out.

tinkerbell
09-12-2002, 08:53 AM
I love my bike. I just started riding about 6 months ago. I signed up for a long multi-day ride, but since I hadn't ridden a bike since I was 10 I decided that I didn't want to invest serious money until I figured out where this venture would take me (would I love riding or hate it? would I want to race? etc.) I bought a KHS Flite 500 bike, and I love it. It's not quite race worthy (can't shift from the drops), but everything else about it is great-- nice components, carbon fork, beautiful bright yellow color ;) It's suited me well, and all at being extrememly affordable (right around $700 I believe.) I'm your same height and weight and have had no problems, although I did go in to my local bike shop to have a fit done. I ended up changing the seat, and to clipless pedals and that's it. I highly recommend this bike for affordable, serious, yet not competitive road riders!! Good Luck--and ride on!

stella
09-15-2002, 05:25 PM
It is near the end of the biking season and bike shops may have some left over 2002 to get rid of. This means prices drop...The bike shop will help you find a bike in your size, budget, and take into consideration the type of riding you want to do.
Keep asking them questions at the bike shop-they are there to help you. If they don't take the time to help you-go elsewhere! I have heard good things about Wheelworks in Belmont.
For a road bike-make sure it has at least a cromoly fork,aluminum forks on a road bike hurt! If you can afford to, get a bike w/a carbon fork. It softens the ride quite a bit!
Road bikes are pricey, if they are out of your budget-go with either a hybrid or a mountain bike w/slick tires.

bikenewbie
09-17-2002, 05:10 AM
Wow! I am totally blown away by all the good advice about choosing a bike. I went to a local bike shop here and test rode a couple of Cannondales, including one of the women's. Then my husband and I went to the Belmont Wheelworks. I tested rode another cannondale and then a Bianchi. My husband said that when I came back, I was smiling only on the Bianchi. He was right - it felt perfect. It is a 2002 Veloce with Campy components and it was only 1200.00. I got another Terry seat, I think a racer TI, which I'm getting used to. It came with Look pedals and I found some Sidi shoes on clearance, so I saved a bundle there. They fitted me to the bike and everything. I've spent the week trying to get used to clipless - that's been the hardest, and learning new shifters. I went on a little group ride of about 18 miles and was able to keep up. So far I'm really liking it!

Thanks again for all the wise counsel!

Angela

diane
09-17-2002, 05:56 AM
I am so glad you had a chance to check out Belmont Wheelworks. Aren't they awesome. You will LOVE your new bike and riding, riding, riding. Have fun and keep on pedaling!

stella
09-17-2002, 08:02 AM
Congratulations on the new bike! You got a great deal on the Bianchi and the shoes. Once you get used to the clipless you will wonder how you rode without them. Enjoy and glad to hear it worked out so well!

stella

Dogmama
09-20-2002, 04:21 PM
Wow, you STOLE that bike!! I love Campy - I've had Campy Chorus on my bike for 8 years and it's been flawless. The shifting is smooth and easier for small hands. (OK, I'm sure Shimano is good too - I just liked Campy).

I just got a pair of Sidi's and am absolutely amazed at how much easier peddling can be. You'll love clipless when you get used to them. Learn how to move your feet in a circle, keeping your heels down so the foot is parallel to the ground. It's much more efficient than "mashing"down.

Again, congrats! What a find!

angriecow
10-08-2002, 08:07 AM
hey, cool with the bianchi, i totally bashed my eros in :)
slight exag, but it gave me the reason to do what i've always wanted: build my own.
only learned how to ride two years ago, but this is SO my thing, and there is NOTHING to compare to riding a machine you put together with your own hands... definately the next step in the biking bit :) i don't really pay too much attention to the WSD bikes when building, the compact road bike frames are basically the same deal. found that euro bikes come in alot smaller makes than ameri. and i'm only 5-3 so that's handy too
clipless all the way
when you wanna build and are asking about makers... :) drop me an email