PDA

View Full Version : May 16 2008 Bike to Work Day (Providence Events)

indigoiis
04-28-2008, 10:09 AM
I am leading the "train" from I-95 exits 3 and 7 (no, we're not riding I-95 but following the line on roads close-by that parallel the common South County to Providence commute, and stop at the two park-and-rides) and welcome anyone in that area to join me. Train leaves exit 3 Park and Ride at 5:30 a.m. for an estimated 2.25 hour, 30 mile ride (with two quick breaks.) Riders can either ride home or take the commuter buses. Email me at anjuanja@yahoo.com if you are interested in joining. Train passes through Richmond, Exeter, West Greenwich, West Warwick, Cranston (via bike path) before heading into downtown. Join us if you live or can bike to those communities.

Link to the Rhode Island map of commuter "trains" can be found here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&lr=lang_en&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=107588602012569902576.00044ba7c6279b631093f

May 16, 2008
7:00 am to 10:00 am
3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Across the United States cities are gearing up for the 52nd Annual National Bike to Work Day on Friday, May 16, 2008. Providence will be hosting its own press conference and festivities for Bike to Work Day. Taking place at Bank of America City Center in downtown Providence, bicyclists will convene at the skating rink entrance at 7:00am for refreshments and kick-off press conference at 7:30am. Providence Mayor David Cicilline, Richard Godfrey, Director of Rhode Island Housing and Chair of The Providence Foundation Bike to Work and College Committee, and Mike Lewis, Director of the RI Department of Transportation, will lead the way to the event as they cycle into downtown for the press event. Joining Mayor Cicilline at the podium will be Richard Godfrey, Mike Lewis, Chris Wilhite of the Sierra Club (RI Chapter), and Providence City Council member John Lombardi.

Breakfast and refreshments will be served to cyclists from 7:00am until 10:00am. At 3:00pm the skating rink comes alive with bicycle-related vendors providing safety tips and demonstrations, local environmental organizations, information about upcoming bicycle signage and lane striping, Rack n’ Ride demonstrations by RIPTA, refreshments, a bike raffle and entertainment.

Promoting a healthy ride for energy independence, Bike to Work Day seeks to raise awareness about bicycling as a healthy and viable transportation alternative. Among the goals of Bike to Work Day are to help reduce traffic congestion, reduce the demand for parking, reduce air pollution and make Providence a better place to live and work. The American Automobile Association cites that the estimated cost to own and operate a vehicle in 2008 is $8,121 – a $298 increase from last year. While the costs for automobile maintenance, insurance and depreciation have actually decreased from 2007, higher prices at the fuel pump have more than offset these savings and pushed the overall costs of vehicle ownership and operation higher.

“Riding a bicycle or RIPTA bus to work everyday represents one of the strongest actions a commuter can take to reduce global warming pollution and our dependence on oil,” said Chris Wilhite , Sierra Club Rhode Island Chapter Director. “By making it safer and easier for cyclists to commute to work, Cool Cities like Providence can be significant leaders in ensuring that Narragansett Bay stays cool enough for its fisheries and wildlife.”

To help promote and support bicycle commuting in Providence, The Providence Foundation and the Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT) have invested in the installation of over 100 bicycle hitches throughout downtown Providence including locations at the Amtrak Station, Bank of America City Center and Exchange Terrace. The City of Providence Department of Planning and Development has completed plans for the striping and signing of bicycle routes along many of Providence’s thoroughfares. It is expected that this project will be completed this fall. Among the streets included in this project are Elmwood Ave, Broadway, Smith Street, Charles Street, and Hope Street.

Bike to Work Day is funded by the Rhode Island Department of Transportation (RIDOT) through a grant from the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Program (CMAQ) of the US Department of Transportation (USDOT). Administrative and organizational support is provided by The Providence Foundation. The Providence Bicycle Coalition, an advocacy group of citizen-cyclists who work to promote and enable bicycling as a healthy, enjoyable, efficient and environmentally friendly mode of transportation in and around Providence, is organizing this year’s Bike to Work Day event with the US Open Cycling Foundation.

For more information on Providence’s Bike to Work Day and for information on RIDOT’s Bike RI program visit www.dot.state.ri.us/bikeri/. For information on what The Providence Bicycle Coalition is doing to support bicycling in Providence visit www.bikeprovidence.org. And, for more information about the efforts of the RI Chapter of the Sierra Club to support and promote clean, affordable transportation alternatives, please visit www.rhodeisland.sierraclub.org.

Feel free to download a pdf version of the Bike to Work 2008 Press Release and distribute this to your friends, family, and colleagues.

RoadRaven
04-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Hey there Indi, have subscribed to this thread cause I don't want to lose it.
I am trying to get things like this happening at work, and you have given me loads of ideas.
:)
Sounds like a truly successful day - congrats!

Crankin
04-28-2008, 01:09 PM
I am also hoping to get some of my co-workers to ride their bike to school on the 16th. And, I plan to lead a short ride on the 14th or 15th. There is only one other teacher who rides in once in awhile, but many of the teachers live very close. I know some of them have bikes! And the ones who live further away can come on the after work ride.
Will let you know what happens.

indigoiis
04-29-2008, 07:45 AM
It was suggested by our local bicycle coalition guy to run the train. He said he didn't think anyone would show up for the South County train seeing as it is a 2 hr ride and part of it goes through some trafficky areas. But I figure if I am going, I might as well lead a train.

I hope he is proven wrong. It would be fun with a bunch of people. I've done the ride and it was nothing too daunting.

http://www.blog.thesietch.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/bikeride.png

MALcontent
04-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Here's the link for Bike Week events in Massachusetts: http://www.baystatebikeweek.org/. I committed to leading a caravan into Boston from the western burbs on the 16th (Stow eastward). It'd be great to have some company!!

indigoiis
05-15-2008, 05:03 AM
Just wanted to remind folks in the area that BIKE TO WORK DAY is tomorrow! Whoo hoo! Ride with pride...

;) Indy

indigoiis
05-16-2008, 06:35 AM
Relatively small turn out for btw 08 but a nice talk by the mayor and good food and swag... ;) Thank you Prov. bike coalition! Was a fun 33 miles this morning (and back... hopefully won't rain.