PDA

View Full Version : Sugoi jerseys

jobob
03-16-2005, 05:25 AM
Every now & then I come across a post by someone wishing that women's jerseys were made for more womanly figures.

For those of you who don't know, I've found Sugoi women's jerseys to be cut very generously on top.

I'm fairly flat-chested and the 2 Sugoi jerseys I've purchased in the past were both extremely loose for me in the chest (comically so :o ) which is a drag because I really love the Sugoi jerseys TE is carrying for spring & summer (small plug for our sponsor !). Oh well.

hope this helps, - Jo

bounceswoosh
03-16-2005, 06:39 AM
For those of you who don't know, I've found Sugoi women's jerseys to be cut very generously on top.

I am "generously" proportioned top and bottom, and my Sugoi jersey is very comfortable, although to be honest I haven't found any jersey I can't wear comfortably.

All I need to find is a jersey that likes my hips =/ Especially those with elastic at the waist; they just ride up to my waist, which is really annoying.

SadieKate
03-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Shebeest!!! I think they're the best for fitting those of us with Rubeneque figures and are vertically challenged. I also thinking their sizing is consistent no matter what the model jersey.

In general, Sugoi jerseys that don't have elastic are pretty generously proportioned but run long. So if you're long in the torso, they could be a good bet. I also think that jerseys marketing for mountain biking can be more generously tailored but the styles and colors can be very different than those marketing for the road.

A little tip for fit if you're going mail order: raglan-shouldered jerseys will tend to fit the less-well endowed better than jerseys with set-in sleeves and vice versa.

CorsairMac
03-16-2005, 07:53 AM
I just bought my first Sugoi jersey - mens. I just can't seem to get into this womens jersey thing yet. I did try, 2 of them, don't ask me which brand and they were too tight in the armholes and the whole princess seaming thing bugged me. I kept tugging the jersey to try and get more room across the chest. I also don't understand why womens jerseys have shorter zippers and less pockets! What's up with that?? :eek: But I bought the Sugoi Cooper Rally jersey which is Just too cute!!

Corsair "waiting for warmer weather so I can wear it" Mac

bounceswoosh
03-16-2005, 07:57 AM
I just bought my first Sugoi jersey - mens. I just can't seem to get into this womens jersey thing yet. I did try, 2 of them, don't ask me which brand and they were too tight in the armholes and the whole princess seaming thing bugged me. I kept tugging the jersey to try and get more room across the chest. I also don't understand why womens jerseys have shorter zippers and less pockets! What's up with that?? :eek: But I bought the Sugoi Cooper Rally jersey which is Just too cute!!

Corsair "waiting for warmer weather so I can wear it" Mac

Have you tried Primal Wear women's jerseys? They have a zipper that goes all the way to the bottom and three waterbottle pouch type pockets on the back. No zippered pockets, though. In fact, when I emailed Primal about the differences between men's and women's jerseys, it sure sounded like the only difference was the size. The elastic waist annoys me, though, as I described above.

CorsairMac
03-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Have you tried Primal Wear women's jerseys? They have a zipper that goes all the way to the bottom and three waterbottle pouch type pockets on the back. No zippered pockets, though. In fact, when I emailed Primal about the differences between men's and women's jerseys, it sure sounded like the only difference was the size. The elastic waist annoys me, though, as I described above.

Actually I own several Mens Primal Wear Jerseys. (see my avatar..thats one of them) The Primal womens sleeveless jerseys are princess seamed but I haven't looked at the s/s. As for the size, I take a mens L, I think the womens would be an XL or XXL. I just hate to spend that kind of money and not be comfortable in it. I did buy my previous 2 womens jerseys at my LBS where I could try them on and they fit fine....until I was actually out riding in them. I ended up giving them to a smaller-busted fellow female rider and went back to mens jerseys. It could just be that's what I've become used to over the years. And I saw some jerseys with the zippered pockets and thought - that was an accident waiting to happen with me. Trying to unzip the pocket while still pedaling! EEEKKKKK

bounceswoosh
03-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Actually I own several Mens Primal Wear Jerseys. (see my avatar..thats one of them) The Primal womens sleeveless jerseys are princess seamed but I haven't looked at the s/s. As for the size, I take a mens L, I think the womens would be an XL or XXL. I just hate to spend that kind of money and not be comfortable in it. I did buy my previous 2 womens jerseys at my LBS where I could try them on and they fit fine....until I was actually out riding in them. I ended up giving them to a smaller-busted fellow female rider and went back to mens jerseys. It could just be that's what I've become used to over the years. And I saw some jerseys with the zippered pockets and thought - that was an accident waiting to happen with me. Trying to unzip the pocket while still pedaling! EEEKKKKK

Yeah, for most brands I'm a women's large, but for Primal I'm a women's XL or men's large. I've never tried the sleeveless; I was talking about short sleeve jerseys.

pedalfaster
03-17-2005, 08:10 PM
I also don't understand why womens jerseys have shorter zippers and less pockets! What's up with that??

Uhm I think our "men" are supposed to carry our spare tubes, pumps, energy bars, cells phones and stuff...ya know? And change our flats. And lube our chains.

Yeah right! :p

Don't get me started.

I have an old team jersey by Sugoi (mens) and it's one of my favorites!

To be fair, the zipper on my men's Sugoi is still shorter than the zipper on my other team jerseys (Louis Garneau, Pactimo, Voler). It's never bothered me because the fabric is nice and ventilated and I don't feel the need to unzip.

bounceswoosh
03-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Uhm I think our "men" are supposed to carry our spare tubes, pumps, energy bars, cells phones and stuff...ya know? And change our flats. And lube our chains.

Yeah right! :p

Don't get me started.

I have a ginormous camelbak for all that crap. I haven't quite figured out what roadies have against big camelbaks, other than that it's not cool or something =P

CorsairMac
03-18-2005, 06:56 AM

well There ya go....that's my problem! I'm too busy focusing on the things that will work for me as a solo rider instead of focusing on finding a man to do those things for me! *shakes head*.... :D ;)

Corsair "what a silly girl" Mac!

emily_in_nc
03-18-2005, 07:58 AM
I have a ginormous camelbak for all that crap. I haven't quite figured out what roadies have against big camelbaks, other than that it's not cool or something =P

Well, that's a little bit of it. ;) BUT....the main reason I don't care for Camelbaks is that if you're not used to them, you (or at least I) notice them a lot. They bother me. The more you load them down, the more noticeable that weight is. I'm small (105 lbs, 5'2"), so that may be why the extra weight on my back and shoulders is annoying. Also, riding in hot NC summers, I don't want anything that will make me sweat even more than I normally do. I ride with other gals who swear by them, but to each her own, in cycling as in anything else! :)

Emily

bounceswoosh
03-18-2005, 08:09 AM
Well, that's a little bit of it. ;) BUT....the main reason I don't care for Camelbaks is that if you're not used to them, you (or at least I) notice them a lot. They bother me. The more you load them down, the more noticeable that weight is. I'm small (105 lbs, 5'2"), so that may be why the extra weight on my back and shoulders is annoying. Also, riding in hot NC summers, I don't want anything that will make me sweat even more than I normally do. I ride with other gals who swear by them, but to each her own, in cycling as in anything else! :)

Emily

Ahh, so they're *literally* not cool. I don't miss the east coast humidity, that's for sure!

I bought a camelbak at the same time I bought my mountain bike, so I guess I'm just used to it. My current bike doesn't have anywhere reasonable to mount a waterbottle, so the camelbak is it. Then again, my 'bak represents a much smaller fraction of my weight than it would for you!

Jo-n-NY
03-19-2005, 11:57 AM
I actually ride my mountain bike with a camel back with just enough water that would be for 1 or two water bottles. I do not use a camel back with my road bike because it is easier for me to grab my water bottle as opposed to the mountain bike where I need to get my hands back on the handle bars real fast.

I am shopping for my first cycling jersey's. I am really having a bit of a problem. Emily, I hope you see this because we seem to be the same in height and weight. I personnally think sugoi runs small for the few I tried on. I take a size medium in a sugoi jacket, (which I love) but I have been trying on sleevless and short sleeve jerseys and everything seems to push me in and I look flat chested. I am only a 34B. Most of you said Sugoi was cut genreously on top. Which ones might you be talking about.

I did find one sheebeest tank style with the built in bra and the small fits perfectly. But that was all the store had. I see some real nice jerseys here on TE but I hate buy it if I will end up sending it back.

Is Louis Garneau true to the sizing sharts? There is one that I like here on TE.

Thanks for any help ~ Jo

jobob
03-19-2005, 12:22 PM
I am only a 34B. Most of you said Sugoi was cut genreously on top. hee hee, I'm 36 not-quite A, so from my perspective they are, but I guess that's not saying much :o :D (hah, "only" 34B, I wish!)

I just recently bought an Allegra jersey http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=11966 in medium but I'm going to have to return it, it's so loose on top it looks plain silly on me (and I can't go to a small because S won't fit my hips). And the Sugoi jersey I bought last year (in large) fit me fine in the hips at the time but loose on top, it was OK, but after my recent weight loss it was loose all over, comically so on top, so I sold it to a friend.

For what it's worth, TE is very good about returns, they do want you to return items with the tags still attached, so I simply try things on before removing the tags.

Barb
03-19-2005, 02:27 PM
well There ya go....that's my problem! I'm too busy focusing on the things that will work for me as a solo rider instead of focusing on finding a man to do those things for me! *shakes head*.... :D ;)

Corsair "what a silly girl" Mac!

The real problem is when you drop them and want to use your cell to find them but realize they have your cell, and your snack and .....!!!

Jo-n-NY
03-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks Jobob and you are funny. You cannot believe that the little bit that I have how far south they are going. lol

That Allegra is a very pretty jersey. It is too bad that it did not work you for you. I will most likely bit the bullet and place an order. Eventually I will get an idea of how the different distributors size their clothes.

Thank you for the info.

Veronica
03-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Oh Jo, I love that Allegra jersey! What a bummer.

For the record I do see some roadies with Camelbacks. For me it has to do with bike position. I'm more upright on my mountain bike than my Riv, and leaning over with that on my back is not comfortable. In the summer I have three water bottle cages on my bike.

But I still very seldom use my camelback off road either. Usually only if it's very hot or I'm doing a longer ride with limited access to water. I've been reaching for a bottle since '88. Usually one with Gatorade. :D But sometimes other things...

V.

fasteryet
03-19-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure the Louis Garneau sizing is exactly true to it's size charts. I'm a 38C, (but only 5'4.5") and I buy LG jerseys in large. They fit well, not skin tight, but comfortably snug. I find I can wear most Cannondale tops in a Medium, and PI mostly in a M, but some models in a L. Haven't tried Sugoi yet.

jobob
03-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Oh Jo, I love that Allegra jersey! What a bummer. Yeah, I was disappointed too, but them's the breaks. Since I need to replenish my shorts supply - I like to have 3 pair and at this point I only have 2 pair that actually fit - I'll either exchange the jersey for a pair of the shorts I like (PI Attack shorts), or, hmmm .... there are a lot of other very pretty sleeveless jerseys on the TE site, I'm bound to find a brand more forgiving towards the, um, mammary challenged :rolleyes: :p

emily_in_nc
03-20-2005, 05:58 PM
I am shopping for my first cycling jersey's. I am really having a bit of a problem. Emily, I hope you see this because we seem to be the same in height and weight. I personnally think sugoi runs small for the few I tried on. I take a size medium in a sugoi jacket, (which I love) but I have been trying on sleevless and short sleeve jerseys and everything seems to push me in and I look flat chested. I am only a 34B. Most of you said Sugoi was cut genreously on top. Which ones might you be talking about.

Hi Jo ~ glad I caught your post. Wonder of wonders, I wore my one and only Sugoi jersey this very day on a ride. I got this one on the 50% off sale rack at my LBS, and it is a size "XS". It is a little bit too small for me and on the tight side, but I loved it so much (and the price!!) that I got it anyway. The "S" would have been absolutely perfect, just to give me a little bit of wiggle room. I am also a 34B. Lemme run check a few of my other jerseys that fit really well....

Okay! The three best fitting jerseys I have are a Terry (sleeveless) in Small and two Shebeests (short-sleeve) also in Small. I wear a size 4 or Small/Petite in normal clothes, if that helps. We do sound very close in size (even bra size!), so I think you'd do fine in a Sugoi, Shebeest, or Terry in a Small - just stay away from the XS. They are cut for size 0-2 ladies!

Emily

Jo-n-NY
03-21-2005, 04:12 AM
Hi Jo ~ glad I caught your post. Wonder of wonders, I wore my one and only Sugoi jersey this very day on a ride. I got this one on the 50% off sale rack at my LBS, and it is a size "XS". It is a little bit too small for me and on the tight side, but I loved it so much (and the price!!) that I got it anyway. The "S" would have been absolutely perfect, just to give me a little bit of wiggle room. I am also a 34B. Lemme run check a few of my other jerseys that fit really well....

Okay! The three best fitting jerseys I have are a Terry (sleeveless) in Small and two Shebeests (short-sleeve) also in Small. I wear a size 4 or Small/Petite in normal clothes, if that helps. We do sound very close in size (even bra size!), so I think you'd do fine in a Sugoi, Shebeest, or Terry in a Small - just stay away from the XS. They are cut for size 0-2 ladies!

Emily

Thank you so much Emily. As I posted in another you might have seen buy me, I ended up getting a Sugoi sleevless, but I chose the medium only because I wanted a little extra room. It is a little loose around the arm holes and you can see my jogging bra a bit. These are my first cycling jerseys and I am not use to wearing tight fit clothing. The shebeest I chose also sleevless but has the shelf bra inside I did get a small.

I really need short sleeve and will have to order them here. I will go with smalls for the Sugoi that I like and also the Louis Garneau (sp?).

Thank you for the information. It was a help. I don't do much clothes buying from the internet.

BTW...I read your New York Cycling trip journal. I was in complete awe of you and your husband. My husband and I are hoping to take a bike tour, even for just 5 days. He is in the retail business, and it is hard to take time off. I am hoping for the fall. But I just loved reading about your trip.

emily_in_nc
03-21-2005, 08:50 AM
BTW...I read your New York Cycling trip journal. I was in complete awe of you and your husband. My husband and I are hoping to take a bike tour, even for just 5 days. He is in the retail business, and it is hard to take time off. I am hoping for the fall. But I just loved reading about your trip.

Oh cool - I am so glad! This was the first time I'd ever done anything like that. We'd done a Bike Vermont supported inn-to-inn tour years ago, which was also excellent, but daily mileages were a lot less, it was shorter (five days), and the crew carried all our luggage, so the self-supported NY tour was much more of a BIG DEAL. It was the most challenging thing I've ever done, but I was very proud to finish it and came back to NC in great shape! Glad you enjoyed the write-up, and glad you found some jerseys that work for you. I too have a couple of mediums, but they are a bit large for me, with one exception: Performance and Nashbar house brands. They're cut very small. I have learned from experience always to buy mediums in those.

Pedal on!
Emily