PDA

View Full Version : sunscreen and/or face cream?

redrhodie
04-25-2008, 05:17 AM
Do you wear both face cream and sunscreen? Which do you put on first?

lph
04-25-2008, 05:28 AM
I put on a light face cream after a shower, it absorbs very fast, and add sunscreen on exposed bits just before going out in the sun.

Pax
04-25-2008, 05:33 AM
In the spring & summer I just use Faces (http://www.playtexstore.com/cgi-bin/item/PLA05234) sunscreen after my shower.

Blueberry
04-25-2008, 06:15 AM
I use a face cream with an SPF every day that I'll be outside (i.e. if I'm driving the office at 8AM and not leaving until 8PM, I don't wear it. I do wear it on the weekends always).

I either use Clinique moisturizer + repair wear day or an origins sunscreen/moisturizer.

For long rides, etc I break out the heavy duty stuff.

CA

indysteel
04-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Daily, I wear a face cream with SPF. For rides, I apply a stronger sunscreen first and then face cream.

Kathi
04-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Moisturizer goes on first then sunscreen. Apply the sunscreen 20 minutes before going out in the sun.

Here's what Paula Begone author of "Don't go to the cosmetic counter without me" says about using sunscreens.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/sun.asp?ID=163

I also use Clinique Repairwear day, SPF 15. I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch with helioplex for biking, hiking etc, on all exposed skin. When I'm out all day I reapply it every couple of hours.

Paula Begone, and research, says that sun exposure is the cause of wrinkles so it's important to protect yourself at all times.

I wish I had payed attention to my grandmother 45 years ago when I did all that unprotected sun tanning. Now I'm paying the price.

redrhodie
04-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks, ladies! I'm giving going solo with just sunblock a try. I've worn the same cream for years, and have pretty good skin, but the SPF 15 it has doesn't cut it already, and it's only April. I've always worn sunblock over the top in summer, and just found a clear zinc oxide with SPF 45 that feels really light, and not very different from my regular cream. It got my wheels spinning about whether both were really necessary. Hopefully, I won't break out or get a rash, neither of which I'm prone to. I do burn, however, so the higher SPF started earlier in the year should help keep that in check.

Julibird
04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
What I hate is when the sunscreen melts and runs into my eyes and causes them to sting and tear up like crazy. Any thoughts about which product won't melt and run into my eyes as I sweat? I hate that!

madhavisb
04-25-2008, 03:40 PM
http://www.copperwiki.org/index.php/Sunscreen
This article pretty much looks at all the angles possible about sunscreen, sun block and apparently their solution is
Use sun block rather than sunscreen. Sunblock lies ontop of the skin rather than getting absorbed by it.
Do not used micronised titanium products. Smaller particles of titanium tend to enter the skin and cause damage. Stick with the un-micronised stuff. Sunscreen and Sunblocks
Use broad spectrum sunblocks.
Eat for sun protection: load up on natural anti-oxidants in your diet. Include fresh berries, green tea, spirulina and as many other natural anti-oxidants as you can.
Cover up in the sun: the clothing, hats and glasses with afford lots of protection.
Use natural sunscreens like shea butter.
Use natural anti tanners like real lemon juice.

Moisturizer goes on first then sunscreen. Apply the sunscreen 20 minutes before going out in the sun.

Here's what Paula Begone author of "Don't go to the cosmetic counter without me" says about using sunscreens.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/sun.asp?ID=163

I also use Clinique Repairwear day, SPF 15. I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch with helioplex for biking, hiking etc, on all exposed skin. When I'm out all day I reapply it every couple of hours.

Paula Begone, and research, says that sun exposure is the cause of wrinkles so it's important to protect yourself at all times.

I wish I had payed attention to my grandmother 45 years ago when I did all that unprotected sun tanning. Now I'm paying the price.

Kano
04-25-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't put it above my eyes -- figure my helmet or a hat protects that part of my face!

Karen in Boise

redrhodie
04-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I wear a headband. I have bangs, and it keeps them out of my eyes, and the sweat, too. I make sure it's over my ears, so it also muffles the wind, and any comments made by passing drivers can be interpreted as "way to go, girl!"

Crankin
04-25-2008, 04:52 PM
I also use the Clinique Repairwear spf 15, everyday. But I also use sunscreen, spf 30-45 when I go out to ride or hike. I use the Coppertone Sports sunscreen and I have tube of a Skin Effects sunscreen. I put sunscreen everywhere. I too, am paying for all those summers on the Cape when I was a kid. All day on the beach, with that orange gel that did nothing. By the time i moved to the sunbelt, the damage was done. Thankfully, I started wearing heavy duty sunblock in AZ, when I was in college.

tc1
04-25-2008, 05:47 PM
I have never put on any kind of face cream during the day.
For bike rides, I apply sunscreen starting from just under my eyes, all the way down to where the lower edge of my bra will be. I make sure to get all of my neck, both shoulders, and all the way down my arms including the backs of my hands. Then an extra handful on each tattoo. Then to finish a bit more on my face. I don't put on my bra and top until everything is dry. FYI I am one of those translucent skin european types, who freckles and burns but never tans.

shootingstar
04-25-2008, 07:58 PM
I have never put on any kind of face cream during the day.
For bike rides, I apply sunscreen starting from just under my eyes, all the way down to where the lower edge of my bra will be. I make sure to get all of my neck, both shoulders, and all the way down my arms including the backs of my hands. Then an extra handful on each tattoo. Then to finish a bit more on my face. I don't put on my bra and top until everything is dry. FYI I am one of those translucent skin european types, who freckles and burns but never tans.

I actually never wear tank tops or sleeveless tops when cycling..after all these years. Even when I lived in and cycled in temperatures over 85 F, 100% humidity. Will wear sleeveless tops only off the bike. And I never wear sleeveless hiking. I seem attract mosquitoes like a magnet. Earlier used to tan in swimsuit..hmm 20 yrs. ago. Does have tan lines that aren't perfect bother me?.shrug..I'm glad now that I didn't expose those areas much...seeing women my age whose skin prematurely aging or freckling too much ..is not always the greatest thing to see. Already my face is freckling more than I want ..despite sunscreen at 25+ rating.

But then, it helps to have natural body skin tone that's abit more very light golden which tans quickly. When I get uneven tan lines, the contrast is not as stark compared to other people..

missjulied
04-26-2008, 10:20 AM
I've been wearing mineral sunscreen (by colorescience, but there are a lot of other brands too). It's a brush on, you don't have to wait before going into the sun, and it's sweatproof as long as you don't rub it. I had the trouble with sunscreen getting into my eyes too, and switching to mineral powder did the trick for me.