PDA

View Full Version : Pilates Certification

tulip
04-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Hi. Is anyone here a certified Pilates instructor? I know it's a long and arduous process, but I'm looking into it. Pilates has helped me with my back problems in an incredible way, and I would like to spread the love by being an instructor.

My old studio in DC had a 2-year instructor program. It's quite intense, so I'd have to make sure it's really what I want to do. Any advice or thoughts are welcome.

OakLeaf
04-25-2008, 04:10 AM
I would really encourage you to go for it! Good Pilates instructors are really needed!

I have a "fake" Pilates certification (2 day workshop :rolleyes:) and I would love to be able to study for real certification locally. Unfortunately there are no local resources, so besides the cost of the instruction, I would have to invest a substantial amount of time and travel away from home for an intensive course. I'm already away from home much, much, much too often, so right now it's out of the question.

What do you want to get out of it? Just to spread the love? To bring your own practice to another depth? Would you expect your investment to pay off financially (probably only realistic in major urban areas)?

Julibird
04-25-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm doing a cert. this summer through Pilates Academy International. It's 8 full days of course work, then a bunch of hours in observation/practicum.

Let me know what you decide so we can compare notes! It's such a great complimentary discipline for cyclists - and everyone else.

pilatesdigest
04-27-2008, 09:37 AM
I am certified through Stott Pilates. The education, materials, support and trainers have all been unbelievable. I also have instructors at my Studio that were trained through PhysicalMind, Peak and BASI. All three of those are good trainings also. I have found that every certification's scheduling determines what works for you. They all work their classes and hours differently. If you have a few you are looking at in your area, research how they structure their classes and see what works best for you. Good luck and hope this helps you.

tulip
04-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the good responses.

I don't expect to make a living by it. I love what I do and I have a very flexible schedule now. I'd like to spread the love, and if pocket/bike money comes along, that's okay. I'd also really like to bring my own practice to another level.

One thing that I've seen and experienced is pseudo-Pilates being taught at the gym I belong to. Not only is it poorly-taught, it's downright dangerous! I see other participants doing things that could really injure their backs, and the instructors have no clue. I've only gone to one class. I haven't complained yet, but I think I will.

I will look into all the programs that y'all mentioned. I don't know what is offered here, but there are several Pilates studios.

Resi
04-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the good responses.

I don't expect to make a living by it. I love what I do and I have a very flexible schedule now. I'd like to spread the love, and if pocket/bike money comes along, that's okay. I'd also really like to bring my own practice to another level.

One thing that I've seen and experienced is pseudo-Pilates being taught at the gym I belong to. Not only is it poorly-taught, it's downright dangerous! I see other participants doing things that could really injure their backs, and the instructors have no clue. I've only gone to one class. I haven't complained yet, but I think I will.

I will look into all the programs that y'all mentioned. I don't know what is offered here, but there are several Pilates studios.

Hi,

I experience the same pseudo-Pilates classes and I agree totally with you. I am lucky, I have been a professional classical dancer, so I know how the movements should be, but as you mentioned, I see many people do the exercises wrong... I have not seen any instructor going around the room checking on the students, this is not an instructor training, the instructor should be there for the student...that's my opinion...

I am looking for a good Pilates Certification, but to mention, the good training centers/schools are very expensive... I am glad I see here on this thread, that there are people out there which want to make a differents...get a more qualified cert.

Good luck, I am positive we can do better

Resi

Resi
05-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I am planing to get certified in the pilates technics, and would like to ask you certified pilates instructors, how much anatomy is asked for the cert and what books would be recommended. I had anatomy in high school, but this is some time ago, so I have to get into it again, I just want to do it right...

Thanks for your help

Resi