PDA

View Full Version : Gel flasks

Bron
04-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Does anyone use the gel-flasks that I keep seeing in running shops? Do you put neat gel in them (and if so, then how do you get it all out - it's quite viscous stuff) or are you supposed to dilute the gel?

I thought that a flask tucked into the back pocket of my tri suit would be easier to open than fidling with a gel sachet on my bike.

KnottedYet
04-24-2008, 04:39 AM
i used one for a while, but I'm a clutz and the resulting mess was unbearable. (that was back when Clif Shot came in huge tubes so you could transfer it to little bottles)

Fredwina
04-24-2008, 05:42 AM
I use the Hammer ones
you do waste less, but like KnottedYet says, you really have to make sure you've got them closed unless you like goo all over the place:eek:

Trekhawk
04-24-2008, 05:53 AM
I use the Hammer ones
you do waste less, but like KnottedYet says, you really have to make sure you've got them closed unless you like goo all over the place:eek:

I use one with my Hammer gel and I really like it. You can put a bit of water in and shake to get the last little bit out. Yep best remember to close them though or it could be a sticky back pocket or bento box.

Grog
04-24-2008, 06:31 AM
I haven't done it yet but I plan to use one - which is actually a $1 flask from the drugstore, that closes tight, with a cloth-and-tape handle - for my homemade gels...

Drtgirl
04-24-2008, 06:46 AM
I used to use them a lot in adventure racing.

These really only work if you put enough water in there to make it drinkable(you don't want to dilute it too much though).

I just bought this cool waterbottle at the Sea Otter. Its called the Gel Bot and its a 20oz. water bottle with a seperate chamber that holds gel. I haven't tried it yet but it seems like a neat idea. http://www.gel-bot.com/

Trek420
04-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Yep best remember to close them though or it could be a sticky back pocket or bento box.

In the back pocket, in the bike bag ... these always seem to fall over, open and leave a leaking sticky mess. I even ruined a camera once. I'd given up on using gel or keeping the bottle upright. I think it was Velogirl on this board who said some women keep the gel bottle uhm, tucked in your cleavage :p Zip open the jersey, there it is in the sports bra.

Have not tried that yet but seems like a plan, handy and you know it's gonna stay upright. :p

OakLeaf
04-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Ow, that chafes just thinking about it. And I don't normally chafe there.

Trek420
04-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Didn't try it myself, I'm just sayin' seems some do. :cool: There's the whole subject of who does not have enough cleavage to hold a gel flask upright and who's going to chafe and those of us who sweat there and some don't and who'll get sweaty gel flasks and who doesn't and whether we've finally found a use for the uniboob. :D :D ;)

And we probably don't want to drift that direction. :p

Pedal Wench
04-24-2008, 09:00 AM
There was a woman walking the 3-Day last year who kept her WATER bottle there. With a straw.:eek: Quite convenient, if you ask me.

I use the gel flask on long rides. I don't water it down -- my body heat is enough to keep it fluid enough to squeeze out. I do try to keep it upside down in my pocket so it's ready to go, and I do make sure it's completely closed, and I try to keep the top clean so my pocket's not a mess.

Bike Goddess
04-24-2008, 03:15 PM
After dealing with a sticky mess from my gel bottle that I didn't get closed, if I take it with me, I put it in a plastic zip lock bag. I wear a fanny pack so plastic bag is no big deal for me. :cool:

Bron
04-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Compared with the blood, sweat and tears of my last triathlon, I don't think a bit of gel is going to make things worse.

Alas, not enough boobage to keep the gel in my cleavage :o

I haven't done it yet but I plan to use one - which is actually a $1 flask from the drugstore, that closes tight, with a cloth-and-tape handle - for my homemade gels...

That sounds good, any chance you would share a recipe or two?

I used to use them a lot in adventure racing.

These really only work if you put enough water in there to make it drinkable(you don't want to dilute it too much though).

Hmm, that's what I thought. Shall have to try it in training.

Grog
04-25-2008, 06:55 AM
That sounds good, any chance you would share a recipe or two?

I don't have the time to fetch them right now but there are a few on this board. Usually it involves some jam, some liquid sugary substance (most say honey, I would do maple syrup), a pinch of salt, and then some add the syrupy maltose (or something like it) that is sold in some stores, but I think I would skip that. Add water to dilute a bit to make drinkable.

Actually I sometimes have just a spoonful of honey (with a bit of salt) before a more-than-30-minute run in the morning. Works just great!

maillotpois
04-25-2008, 07:03 AM
I think it was Velogirl on this board who said some women keep the gel bottle uhm, tucked in your cleavage :p Zip open the jersey, there it is in the sports bra.

Have not tried that yet but seems like a plan, handy and you know it's gonna stay upright. :p

That was actually me - that's where I keep it. Nice and handy. Tends to keep the consistency a little looser, as it stays warm. (Of course in my case, it makes me look like I have a uni-boob. :rolleyes: You don't NEED any cleavage to make this work, because I sure don't have any!)

No chafing at all, by the way. YMMV.

Bron
04-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks Grog, IŽll have to experiment.

As to the cleavage thing. Maybe I should take two gel flasks and keep them in my bra where my boobs would be if I had significant boobage. Nutritous and a D-cup all in one go!